Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The location of the Boys Pen

Read 2689 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      The location of the Boys Pen
      Jan 20, 2022 05:00:28 pm
      Does anyone remember where the Boys pen used to be. I am not sure if my memory is correct but I remember it in the corner of the Kop but also in the Anfield road end where the away supporters now sit.
      And then of course the opening the gates at 3/4 time was always worth waiting for.
      « Last Edit: Jan 20, 2022 06:34:52 pm by JD »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: The location of the Boys Pen.
      Reply #1: Jan 20, 2022 05:21:07 pm
      If my memory serves me right if your in the Kop looking at the pitch the boys pen was at the back of the Kop on the left hand side ( main stand side ) hope that helps
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      Reply #2: Jan 20, 2022 05:32:04 pm
      I remember leaving the Kop at the back Kemlin Road side and going down the steps they were straight down……sometimes your feet wouldn’t touch the ground… scary

The boys pen was all wired so you couldn’t get into the Kop

Used to stand in the paddock on the main stand side, strange as you were actually standing below the pitch, I was young then and short all you would see was legs. Remember paying 45 pence to go in and a program was 5 pence
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #3: Jan 20, 2022 06:34:41 pm
      Think it depends how far you go back in time!  I remember seeing a black and white photo and it was in the Kemlyn Road side.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: The location of the Boys Pen
      Reply #4: Jan 20, 2022 07:50:18 pm
      Think it depends how far you go back in time!  I remember seeing a black and white photo and it was in the Kemlyn Road side.

Don't remember the Kemlyn side but do remember the main stand more . It was probably black and white too.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      Reply #5: Jan 21, 2022 01:10:34 am
      Remember the score’s at half time being put next to letters in front of the Kemlin Road stand. You had to have a program to know which game it referred to
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Jan 21, 2022 06:33:20 am
      I remember going in the boys pen when it was in Kemlyn Road,it used to run from the half way line back towards the Anfield Road  end.I recall it getting moved to the back corner of the kop because the kids were throwing apple cores and other rubbish at the opposing players.I cant be sure but i think it was moved about 1949It was a big shock to the system when they moved the Pen i tell you.It was an old tanner to get in and i think it went up to ninepence when it was moved.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7: Jan 21, 2022 10:38:33 am
      I remember going in the boys pen when it was in Kemlyn Road,it used to run from the half way line back towards the Anfield Road  end.I recall it getting moved to the back corner of the kop because the kids were throwing apple cores and other rubbish at the opposing players.I cant be sure but i think it was moved about 1949It was a big shock to the system when they moved the Pen i tell you.It was an old tanner to get in and i think it went up to ninepence when it was moved.

money grabbers back then too then. I remember trying to bunk in at 3/4 and seeing the lights on and the pitch for the first time its just a magical sight for a kid. From Goodison road the same thing there but when they opened the gates you could see the lights on the pitch and then the mass evacuation of the Everton supporters leaving in their droves. And I do remember the half time score board A-Z and trying to sneek a view of some rich bugger who could afford a programme
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #8: Jan 21, 2022 10:42:28 pm
      The boys pen had gone by the time I started going to games, when I came up to Anfield, aside from the Albert, Sandon, Flat iron or the supporters club I used to go to a local pub in the housing estate across from Anfield, I think it was called the Salisbury, is that right Walt ? my memories a bit fuzzy, anyhoo, to cut a long story short, that was where I learnt loads about LFC, one fella in particular would be full of wee stories and anecdotes, and I remember he mentioned the boys pen, his ol fella used to stick him in there knowing he’d be ok, he said it was in the corner of the Kop, dunno what the era would have been but I’m guessing maybe the early 60’s, used to love going there,(that pub), had some great banter with the natives despite being a woolly back, took a while mind but I must have been ok, they weren’t short in telling you what they thought of you 😂.

Tell me Ma me Ma

Y  N  W  A
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9: Jan 22, 2022 12:34:40 pm
      The boys pen had gone by the time I started going to games, when I came up to Anfield, aside from the Albert, Sandon, Flat iron or the supporters club I used to go to a local pub in the housing estate across from Anfield, I think it was called the Salisbury, is that right Walt ? my memories a bit fuzzy, anyhoo, to cut a long story short, that was where I learnt loads about LFC, one fella in particular would be full of wee stories and anecdotes, and I remember he mentioned the boys pen, his ol fella used to stick him in there knowing he’d be ok, he said it was in the corner of the Kop, dunno what the era would have been but I’m guessing maybe the early 60’s, used to love going there,(that pub), had some great banter with the natives despite being a woolly back, took a while mind but I must have been ok, they weren’t short in telling you what they thought of you 😂.

Tell me Ma me Ma

Y  N  W  A

The Salisbury is now the 12th Man.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Jan 22, 2022 01:59:36 pm
      I was spoilt for boozers on the door step The Chepstow and the Harlech  and up Anfield road the Harry ? before walking through the back alley to the Kop entrance next to the main stand.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #11: Jan 22, 2022 07:15:59 pm
      I’m not 100% but think the boys pen was still functioning in the early/mid 70s. And it was on the end of the Kop on the main stand side.
      Never went in there, as my early games I was taken by my grandad in the Anny road end where I’d  climb on the fence at the back to see over heads.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #12: Jan 22, 2022 08:17:33 pm
      I went in the early 70's when it was alongside the Kop then to the Paddock then to the Anfield road end and finally finally the Kop then the main stand. We use dto go to the Reserves one week  then the first team when they were at home. Our reserve team won everything and would have held its own in the league .
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #13: Jan 23, 2022 10:48:28 pm
      I went in the early 70's when it was alongside the Kop then to the Paddock then to the Anfield road end and finally finally the Kop then the main stand. We use dto go to the Reserves one week  then the first team when they were at home. Our reserve team won everything and would have held its own in the league .

Central League champions every season almost  :scarf:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #14: Jan 24, 2022 07:40:17 am

And Roy Evans was the reserves coach in those days,another master stroke by the late great Bill Shankly.
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #15: Feb 03, 2022 06:47:57 pm
      Definitely the Main Stand side of the Top. I remember you used to hear the high pitched chant of "the boys pen".  ;D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: Feb 03, 2022 08:36:29 pm
      And Roy Evans was the reserves coach in those days,another master stroke by the late great Bill Shankly.

now the gap between the reserves and the first team in those days wasnt as great as it is now that reserve team under  Evans were just a winning machine. It still makes me chuckle thinking about the half time score boards
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      Reply #17: Feb 03, 2022 09:22:49 pm
      Remember the sellers in front of the Kop holding the trays, from high up you would throw your money down to them for sweet etc, the seller would throw them to you and as it traveled towards you an hand below you would pop up and pinch your bounty
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #18: Feb 03, 2022 09:33:16 pm
      This has reminded me of a story my grandad told me, which I'm sure some of you might enjoy.

It was his first game at Anfield, 1933, a league game against Stoke. He'd gone with his uncle Ted and cousin Eddie, and stood in the boy's pen (which he described as like a cattle pen). After a 1-1 draw the three of them walked back through the "jiggers" - which I was informed were basically small alleyways - when Uncle Ted reached into the pockets of his railway uniform, let out a squeal and exclaimed "Jesus, somebody's peed in my pocket!"

Quick Reply