Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Most complete performance

Read 4320 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Most complete performance
      Jan 27, 2022 02:19:20 pm
      A good spread of age groups here so should be an interesting read.

In your time what is the most complete performance you witnessed by our club?

It doesnt have to be a hiding given out, it can be a 1 nil where we played outstanding stuff for 90 minutes and in any comp ( dont include friendlies)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6358 
      Re: Most complete performance
      Reply #1: Jan 27, 2022 02:34:34 pm
      A good spread of age groups here so should be an interesting read.

In your time what is the most complete performance you witnessed by our club?

It doesnt have to be a hiding given out, it can be a 1 nil where we played outstanding stuff for 90 minutes and in any comp ( dont include friendlies)

Hmm....this is a pretty good topic. I'm handicapped on two fronts, reasonably new supporter compared to a lot of you (~15 years or so watching games) and old with a bad memory. My kneejerk is to say that Barcelona comeback but I don't know that it really meets the standard of what you are talking about. I'm pretty sure it would have had to have been during our title winning season but I'm struggling to pick a performance. Maybe that 7-0 against Crystal Palace last season actually although it feels a little hollow because it was with no fans in attendance.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,694 posts | 3365 
      Reply #2: Jan 27, 2022 02:52:00 pm
      https://youtu.be/jy-uQT3AqyI

Nothing will come close to this

Just blew away Forest who at the time were the nearest Rivals
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Jan 27, 2022 02:56:21 pm

Defo going to be up there. Id love to see how lads who were at the spurs drubbing would compare both games
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,694 posts | 3365 
      Reply #4: Jan 27, 2022 02:58:57 pm
      This was a good day as well

https://youtu.be/wY3cJwsRttY
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5: Jan 27, 2022 03:25:14 pm
      So many to choose from.

Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,723 posts | 566 
      Reply #6: Jan 27, 2022 03:53:07 pm

Kenny: I had a season ticket in the Kemlyn that season. Whilst this is defo top 2, I remember us playing Derby County in the first weeks of that season and we absolutely battered them 4-0, the game wasn't on TV of course. But I think we had about 39 shots, I have never seen a more complete performance than that.
      I think we won the league that year by Grand National day.

The best Rodgers performance v Arsenal 5-1, 4-0 up in 22 minutes

The best Klopp performance is either Man City 3-0 in CLeague or of course Barca
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #7: Jan 27, 2022 06:07:40 pm

Was about to post this.

Almost permanent in our video player the season review that also had that full game on it
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,694 posts | 3365 
      Reply #8: Jan 27, 2022 06:15:06 pm
      Was about to post this.

Almost permanent in our video player the season review that also had that full game on it

Yep - that was a great season review , don’t think I have seen one where they put in a whole game

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,194 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #9: Jan 27, 2022 07:06:06 pm
      For me it was the 7-0 at home against Spurs
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #10: Jan 27, 2022 07:08:24 pm
      The 0-5 at Old Trafford wasn't bad! We don't even bother to crow about it cos they're so bad, but until very recently they were talking about " Juanfield."
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,020 posts | 2089 
      Reply #11: Jan 27, 2022 07:26:56 pm
      The 0-5 at Old Trafford wasn't bad! We don't even bother to crow about it cos they're so bad, but until very recently they were talking about " Juanfield."

And that only weeks earlier they were crowing about Ronaldo coming back to fire them back to the top. Not working out well is it?

Most complete performance under Jürgen? It has to be Barca at home surely? Go back and rewatch it and you'll be struck by just how easy that second half was. If we demanded 5 or 6 that night I'm pretty sure our men in red would have complied. They entered Anfield that night as Barcelona. They left looking like Bournemouth. It's safe to say that they have still not recovered.

Most complete performance I can recall under Rodgers. I think the 5-0 away to Spurs was pretty awesome. Even Flanagan getting on the score sheet! That season was like an acid trip - ultimately didn't end well but jesus, some of the matches were psychedelic. But for sheer consistency and solidity that was the best one.

The absolute thrashing of Real Madrid under Rafa at Anfield is another one that comes to mind. 4-0. A faultless display capped by two titanic displays by Torres and Gerrard at their very peak. Glorious and with an Anfield soundtrack to match. Same week we beat Man Utd 4-1 as well. There was a 5-0 thrashing of Villa that followed not long after. As good as we ever were under Rafa.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12: Jan 27, 2022 07:30:10 pm
      A couple that stick out against some lesser teams;

1) Our 3-0 win over Newcastle back in November 2007. Gerrard scored a rocket from about 30 yards to open the scoring. Think it was Kuyt and Babel with the other goals and Torres came close numerous times.

2) The 4-0 win over Palace in what I think was our first game back after lockdown and the first in an empty Anfield. We battered them the entire game and don’t think they had a single touch of the ball in our penalty box.

A bigger game that stands out is the 4-0 demolition of Real Madrid back in 08(?). If it wasn’t for Iker Casillas being well and truly at his best, it would easily have been approaching double figures. We ripped them apart and they couldnt handle Torres and Gerrard.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #13: Jan 27, 2022 07:32:52 pm

Still can't get over the narrative their supporters (and strangely, a lot of the media) tried to spin about their 0-2 defeat to City a few weeks later somehow being much more damning than the 0-5 they suffered against us.

Probably sound incredibly spoilt saying this about a 5-0 win away from home, but I'm fuming we never put them to the sword in that second half 😂
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,165 posts | 514 
      Reply #14: Jan 27, 2022 07:33:29 pm
      Well Brian mine will be very boring I'm afraid. But for me it has to be the 74 F A Cup Final. We absolutely took Newcastle apart that day. "SuperMac" was going to rip us a new one apparently he was shouting his gob off all week, but come the day he was a nothing.
      I was there that day and we were majestic in my opinion. There are plenty of games that will better this, but it is all about opinions.

Good Topic by the way.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #15: Jan 27, 2022 07:37:05 pm

1) Our 3-0 win over Newcastle back in November 2007. Gerrard scored a rocket from about 30 yards to open the scoring. Think it was Kuyt and Babel with the other goals and Torres came close numerous times.

2) The 4-0 win over Palace in what I think was our first game back after lockdown and the first in an empty Anfield. We battered them the entire game and don’t think they had a single touch of the ball in our penalty box.

A bigger game that stands out is the 4-0 demolition of Real Madrid back in 08(?). If it wasn’t for Iker Casillas being well and truly at his best, it would easily have been approaching double figures. We ripped them apart and they couldnt handle Torres and Gerrard.

Some good ones there. Think Madrid was 09, not 08 but you're dead on about Casillas in that game. Without him I think we'd have genuinely been in with a shout of matching the all time Champions League record win, coincidentally set by ourselves against Besiktas a couple of years earlier
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,020 posts | 2089 
      Reply #16: Jan 27, 2022 07:46:06 pm

I remember that one quite well for other reasons. Rafa (for possibly the only time in his career) turns up on the touchline in a tracksuit in protest at that pr**k Tom Hicks emailing him that his job was merely 'to coach the team' ie stay the f**k out of the transfer business and stop calling us out for being the twisted snake oil salesmen we are and exposing us for having f**k all money.) Aside from that, remember that it was a Saturday lunchtime kick off and I was listening on the radio (weird how I remember some games!)
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #17: Jan 27, 2022 07:51:31 pm
      The Madrid one people are talking about was especially satisfying as the main Madrid supporting publication chose the headline, "Anfield? So what." Haha, should've known better.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #18: Jan 27, 2022 07:56:28 pm
      I remember that one quite well for other reasons. Rafa (for possibly the only time in his career) turns up on the touchline in a tracksuit in protest at that pr**k Tom Hicks emailing him that his job was merely 'to coach the team'

Funny you mention that! He was wearing a tracky on the touchline for Everton's FA Cup game against Hull a couple of weeks back and I remember thinking to myself the only other time I've saw him wearing one during a match was for that Newcastle game.

Believe he was asked about it in a Q&A a few years back and in true Rafa like fashion said with a cheeky grin that there was no cryptic message and that he'd simply forgotten his suit  ;D
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #19: Jan 27, 2022 08:39:04 pm

I remember that game. And as much as I agree with you regarding the forest demolition, this game against United wasn’t that dominant. United didn’t play that badly really. It was joyous to watch though...

One thing, watching those highlights and remembering that era shows just how good that team was. I would love Barnes and Beardsley right now.

For me, that team is still better than the one we have now.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #20: Jan 27, 2022 08:41:49 pm
      For me, recent timed the 4-0 at Leicester the year we won the title was almost perfect.
      I remember a 7-1 at derby where our team play was out of this world...

One game, 90s sometime I think; we beat Man City something stupid and if it wasn’t for their keeper having a blinder we would have won by double figures. I think we won 6-1....
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #21: Jan 27, 2022 08:54:22 pm
      Been mentioned now but first that came to mind for me when I saw the thread title was Real Madrid in the champions league.

We were absolutely brilliant and tore them apart.

Another one that comes to mind, bit of a strange one as it was absolutely gutting was the CL final in 07. Maybe not a complete performance as such but my memory of that game was us being far far the better side and playing with a maturity that said we knew we belonged on that stage, whereas 05 was just a dream run (although speaking of 05, Juve at Anfield where big Sami scored was another great performance and we were great away in that leg too). But 07, Stevie had that chance where he broke through and Dida smothered it and Pennant had his best game but Inzaghi poached two goals. Can’t remember the score when Stevie was in on goal but it was such a tight game that it would have made a huge difference probably.

Edit: Another one I remember from the Rafa era was against Derby - think we won 6 0, can’t quite recall but we were absolutely on fire that day and you just knew we would go close to the title that year.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,020 posts | 2089 
      Reply #22: Jan 27, 2022 09:14:22 pm
      Been mentioned now but first that came to mind for me when I saw the thread title was Real Madrid in the champions league.

We were absolutely brilliant and tore them apart.

Another one that comes to mind, bit of a strange one as it was absolutely gutting was the CL final in 07. Maybe not a complete performance as such but my memory of that game was us being far far the better side and playing with a maturity that said we knew we belonged on that stage, whereas 05 was just a dream run (although speaking of 05, Juve at Anfield where big Sami scored was another great performance and we were great away in that leg too). But 07, Stevie had that chance where he broke through and Dida smothered it and Pennant had his best game but Inzaghi poached two goals. Can’t remember the score when Stevie was in on goal but it was such a tight game that it would have made a huge difference probably.

Edit: Another one I remember from the Rafa era was against Derby - think we won 6 0, can’t quite recall but we were absolutely on fire that day and you just knew we would go close to the title that year.

The away displays in that knockout phase were just remarkable. Still to me some of the best game management/tactics I have ever seen. Juve away particularly was a Rafa masterclass.

Quick Reply