Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Luis Diaz (Porto)

Read 21568 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,685 posts | 3360 
      Re: Luis Diaz (Porto)
      Reply #184: Jan 28, 2022 07:22:40 pm
      What is the concern? I think Diaz is coming in as the long term replacement of Mane. What happens to Mane will be dependent on many thing including the type of minutes he will be expecting to get in case of an extension, the wages demands in case of an extension and most importantly the plan we have in place.

I was surprised to learn that he is only on 5.2M a year. I could see us keep him if he is okay with the idea of seeing less minutes and signing a short deal with similar wages to what he is earning.

However, like I said, we don't know exactly what is the plan. Maybe the plan is sell Mane at the end of the year and invest the money on younger versatile winger or even into another position altogether.

We will end up with 6 forwards - the club could just as easily as you say keep Mane and offer a shorter contract to stay as part of the options

Origi has 6 months left on his so he is likely to leave in the summer unless something changes

So for the 6 itā€™s potentially

Diaz
      Jota
      Gordon
      Salah

As guarenteeā€™s

Then it could be

Bobby and Mane

Or one of them plus a new player

The rest of the season will give them the route to do down

Either way itā€™s an exciting forward line with lots of pace

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,198 posts | 6348 
      Reply #185: Jan 28, 2022 07:28:45 pm
      What is the concern? I think Diaz is coming in as the long term replacement of Mane. What happens to Mane will be dependent on many thing including the type of minutes he will be expecting to get in case of an extension, the wages demands in case of an extension and most importantly the plan we have in place.

I was surprised to learn that he is only on 5.2M a year. I could see us keep him if he is okay with the idea of seeing less minutes and signing a short deal with similar wages to what he is earning.

However, like I said, we don't know exactly what is the plan. Maybe the plan is sell Mane at the end of the year and invest the money on younger versatile winger or even into another position altogether. 

What is the difference if thereā€™s a concern or when? Are we as supporters not allowed to have concerns or differing opinions now?  Is it ok with you if Iā€™m happy for a potential new signing but also slightly sad that it may mean the end of an era? Or do I have to only feel about transfers the way you feel?
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,843 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #186: Jan 28, 2022 07:55:55 pm
      I think Diaz is a really good signing, good player who is capable of scoring goals and also the right age group. What an attacking forward line we have a choice of ! I hope Taki doesn't go because I think he has earned the minutes he has got and will be useful for us
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #187: Jan 28, 2022 08:21:12 pm
      I think Diaz is a really good signing, good player who is capable of scoring goals and also the right age group. What an attacking forward line we have a choice of ! I hope Taki doesn't go because I think he has earned the minutes he has got and will be useful for us

I think salah jota and Diaz could be mouthwatering.
      And itā€™s not that Iā€™m anti bobby or anti mane but they have been mediocre for a while and simply donā€™t score enough goals now.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,193 posts | 1205 
      Reply #188: Jan 28, 2022 08:48:39 pm
      Well chuffed. Strengthens the attack, keeps Mo, Jota, Mane and Bobby on their toes and they will each make their respective contributions for as long as the manager deems them capable of fulfilling an important role. All under JĆ¼rgen's command have a valuable role.

A firm eye to the future but not neglecting what we already have. As many have been saying since the summer, now is about the right time to freshen the attack. This is not as under-the-radar as the Jota deal but still fairly stealthy and I love the fact we have stolen in ahead of Spuds, who have also lost out on TraorĆ© (who is overrated anyway)  :D >: ;D
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2022 08:58:10 pm by -LFC- »
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #189: Jan 28, 2022 08:50:54 pm
      This is great news if it happens. Great to see the club planning ahead as well. Mane is still going strong but Ā£Ian is only 25. City have replaced Silva, Kompany and havenā€™t missed a beat without Aguero. We need to do be able to do the same otherwise this team just get old together and then they all need replacing at the same time.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,286 posts | 1513 
      Reply #190: Jan 28, 2022 08:57:04 pm
      I think Salah, Jota, Mane, Diaz, Bobby will be rotated in a few different formations.  It's clear that we need reinforcements and not replacements.
      Every one has been ranting about having cover for places. now we've got more cover up top, the same people are asking who's gonna get sold.
      FFS. make your minds up what you want.
      I'm just glad he's coming to us, and not expecting anyone to leave because of it.
      I also think Goron will be held back for cup games for further development. He's not the done deal yet. He'll get his chance of a permanent place in the side a bit later.

Only my opinion though, could be talking bollocks   :lmao: :lmao:
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #191: Jan 28, 2022 09:21:34 pm
      Annie Wrap: " When it looks like the reds didn't have a sniff of a player this transfer window it looks like we've invested in some prime Columbian. "
      Keny
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 179 posts | 26 
      Reply #192: Jan 28, 2022 09:24:28 pm
      He will replace Mane, in the next season.  Salah will sign the new contract, Mane will ask for the same but FSG won't match it.  Mane will be sold, to possibly Barca.  Just my 2 cents.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,512 posts | 712 
      Reply #193: Jan 28, 2022 09:34:21 pm
      Where has this "Mane and Firmino have been mediocre for a while" narrative suddenly appeared from? Am I just not on the forum often enough?  ???
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,193 posts | 1205 
      Reply #194: Jan 28, 2022 09:52:08 pm
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #195: Jan 28, 2022 10:14:49 pm
      We have such a totally different outlook to the likes of City when it comes to signings. We are all wondering whether Diaz will replace Sadio. Of course he will, but only if Sadio is not performing. Sadio will be fist choice as long as he is contributing for the team. If he isn't then we have a much better option on the bench..much like what City have..but for evey position.
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #196: Jan 28, 2022 10:15:46 pm
      Where has this "Mane and Firmino have been mediocre for a while" narrative suddenly appeared from? Am I just not on the forum often enough?  ???

Mate you can exclude me from that. I said pre season Mane and even more Firmino are not the same and Firmino needs replacing whilst Mane needs dropping for a new starter. Got slaughtered for it. All of a sudden we have a signing and the fsg lovers are giving it Mane and Firmino are finished 😂

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #197: Jan 28, 2022 10:25:59 pm
      Every one has been ranting about having cover for places. now we've got more cover up top, the same people are asking who's gonna get sold.
      FFS. make your minds up what you want.
      I'm just glad he's coming to us, and not expecting anyone to leave because of it.

It's not as clear cut at that. People aren't raising the question of one of the original front 3 departing because they aren't needed anymore or because they aren't good enough or because it's a 1 in and 1 out policy, it's because of the fact they all become free agents in 18months and the likelihood, with the way FSG operate, they wont all be given a new contract. Just look at Wijnaldum; a player who would play virtually every game, didn't have a new big money signing to compete with, yet the club couldn't agree a new deal with him because of the policy they have with players around the age of 30. For the 3 of them to sign a new contract, at the minimum I'd imagine they'd want a 3 year extension and a pay rise and FSG wont do that for 3 players at that age when we have Jota and what is looking like Diaz too who are essentially the long term replacements for the attack.

Nobody is saying that because we look to have Diaz now, one of them will be sold off straight away or in the summer, but the likelihood of it happening either in the summer or as a free agent has now increased. The priority of the 3 appears to be Salah and rightly so. From whatever happens with Salah agreeing a new deal with decide which one out of Bobby and Mane potentially leave IMO.

Competition for places is great and them 5 in attack could be boss and I'd rather keep them all for the duration and lose one for free than see any of them sold in the summer, but the people who moan about FSG not spending out and not bringing in extra players now seem to have forgotten how they operate all of a sudden and having a pop at those who are looking at what is a realistic possibility due to their contracts.
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2022 10:43:25 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,079 posts | 2752 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #198: Jan 28, 2022 10:45:43 pm
      It's not as clear cut at that. People aren't raising the question of one of the original front 3 departing because they aren't needed anymore or because they aren't good enough or because it's a 1 in and 1 out policy, it's because of the fact they all become free agents in 18months and the likelihood, with the way FSG operate, they wont all be given a new contract. Just look at Wijnaldum; a player who would play virtually every game, didn't have a new big money signing to compete with, yet the club couldn't agree a new deal with him because of the policy they have with players around the age of 30. For the 3 of them to sign a new contract, at the minimum I'd imagine they'd want a 3 year extension and a pay rise and FSG wont do that for 3 players at that age when we have Jota and what is looking like Diaz too who are essentially the long term replacements for the attack.

Nobody is saying that because we look to have Diaz now, one of them will be sold off straight away or in the summer, but the likelihood of it happening either in the summer or as a free agent has now increased. The priority of the 3 appears to be Salah and rightly so. From whatever happens with Salah agreeing a new deal with decide which one out of Bobby and Mane potentially leave IMO.

Competition for places is great and them 5 in attack could be boss and I'd rather keep them all for the duration and lose one for free than see any of them sold in the summer, but the people who moan about FSG not spending out and not bringing in extra players now seem to have forgotten how they operate all of a sudden and having a pop at those who are looking at what is a realistic possibility due to their contracts.

Thats there model isnt it? Get older high earners off the wage bill.

Up to those in that category to make that impossible, like Mo is doing now
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #199: Jan 28, 2022 10:57:33 pm
      First off -- super exciting to see we are actually making a move for an exciting, young attacker.  Adding him to the mix could well be the difference in some of our trophy aspirations this season.

Second -- it seems likely that he will be the long term replacement for wither Sadio or Bobby, and I'm OK with that.  I would rather us sign the replacement 6-18 months before said player departs to give them time to bed in.  It's smart recruitment and long term planning in my opinion. 

Sure, I would love if we could keep all of Bobby, Mo, Sadio, Jota, and Diaz for the next 3-4 years, but I probably just won't happen as that's not how we operate with FSG and JĆ¼rgen. 

Nonetheless --  happy and excited to see what this lad is all about!! 

YNWA
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #200: Jan 28, 2022 11:30:16 pm
      Thats there model isnt it? Get older high earners off the wage bill.

Up to those in that category to make that impossible, like Mo is doing now

Itā€™s not ā€œtheir modelā€. Itā€™s common sense.

Having too many older players tied up puts the team at risk of decline and needing multiple changes at once. Slowly turning the team over is a much better way to do it.
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #201: Jan 28, 2022 11:36:55 pm

Sure, I would love if we could keep all of Bobby, Mo, Sadio, Jota, and Diaz for the next 3-4 years, but I probably just won't happen as that's not how we operate with FSG and JĆ¼rgen. 

Nonetheless --  happy and excited to see what this lad is all about!! 

YNWA

Unless JĆ¼rgen is going to suddenly change his everyday system to 4-2-3-1 thereā€™s simply not enough games to go around for all of them.

Origi is our 5th option right now and his game time is very limited so none of Jota, Mane, Bobby or Diaz are going to be ok with that.

Youā€™re still a few years from Mane and Bobby (being the oldest) taking on such limited role as at their current age theyā€™ll surely want a prominent role on the team.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,079 posts | 2752 
      Reply #202: Jan 28, 2022 11:58:32 pm
      Itā€™s not ā€œtheir modelā€. Itā€™s common sense.

Having too many older players tied up puts the team at risk of decline and needing multiple changes at once. Slowly turning the team over is a much better way to do it.

Plenty of clubs, big clubs around the globe are happy to stick with players in their mid to late 30s. The "common sense" thing to do is not write players off because of age.

My original point though is that our owners never hid thats how they operate
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #203: Jan 29, 2022 12:10:53 am
      Plenty of clubs, big clubs around the globe are happy to stick with players in their mid to late 30s. The "common sense" thing to do is not write players off because of age.

My original point though is that our owners never hid thats how they operate

Like who?

All of Sadio, Bobby and Mo will be either 30 or 31 by the time their contract expires in summer of 2023, so any extension on them will take them into their mid 30s.

Interested to see these teams who have 3 of their top 4 forwards in their early/mid 30s.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,079 posts | 2752 
      Reply #204: Jan 29, 2022 12:36:59 am

Like who as in what clubs? AC Milan with Baresi, Maldini, 41 was he. and even now with Ibra. Juve with Pirlo, Madrid with Modric.

Even our own club what was Kenny 39? Gary Mac Brucie

Thats top of the head
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #205: Jan 29, 2022 12:55:07 am
      Like who as in what clubs? AC Milan with Baresi, Maldini, 41 was he. and even now with Ibra. Juve with Pirlo, Madrid with Modric.

Thats top of the head

Every club needs some older players for the dressing room. Experience is priceless
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,512 posts | 712 
      Reply #206: Jan 29, 2022 01:01:25 am

Thats top of the head

Mo said he wants to finish his career at liverpool. Looking at him physically, he doesnt strike me as the type of player to not still be equipped for the top level in his mid 30's like Milner for example. I could say the same for Sadio also.
      « Last Edit: Jan 29, 2022 02:44:26 pm by PastorGeek »

Quick Reply