Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Luis Diaz (Porto)

Read 20917 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Luis Diaz (Porto)
      Reply #207: Jan 29, 2022 01:30:08 am
      I said it after the CL tie. I bet you we buy this guy in the Summer...well looks like that time frame has been pushed up.

Continues the trend of us buying players that have played well against us...Sadio, Naby, Taki, Konate, we were actively pursuing that lad from Watford, I'm sure there is more but you get my drift.

I'm excited about seeing this lad in a Red shirt,,that compilation of his goals in that first vid, shows you he has a real eye for goal, especially the 2nd one, the bicycle kick. Fkn wow!!!
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #208: Jan 29, 2022 01:35:33 am
      Like who as in what clubs? AC Milan with Baresi, Maldini, 41 was he. and even now with Ibra. Juve with Pirlo, Madrid with Modric.

Even our own club what was Kenny 39? Gary Mac Brucie

Thats top of the head

Guess we must be misunderstanding each other. You can have older players but my point is having 3 of them in the same position (ie. forwards). Van Dijk just renewed and he’s 30. No problem there. But we’re not going to have 3 cb’s over 30 tied to long term deals.

Salah when he re-ups he will be signed into his 30s. No issue there. But you cannot have all 3 (Mane, Bobby, Salah) of them age together.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #209: Jan 29, 2022 03:04:08 am
      Fabrizio says 5 year deal agreed w player, the two clubs working out final details of move, to complete "as soon as possible."

With transfers I'm like LondonRed is with matches. All I can think about is what might go wrong.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #210: Jan 29, 2022 03:42:01 am

Beats 42, la
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #211: Jan 29, 2022 04:33:55 am

Just ran across this - 2-3 year old story but it details some of his background. https://www.babagol.net/blog/2019/6/27/luis-diaz-the-rising-star-of-colombia
       Kind of a late bloomer due to growing up in a tribal village - but since being discovered he has risen quickly.

Luis Diaz, The Rising Star of Colombia
      Idan Segev  27 June 2019  America, South America
      Most football fans who have ever played amateur football had one dream.
      That a scout or a coach will accidentally see them while they are playing on the street. We can say for sure that this dream has never come true for most of us, but for the Colombian winger, Luis Diaz, it’s the reality. The same Luis who was the ball boy in Barranquilla 4 years ago when Colombia played, the same Luis who took a ‘selfie’ with James Rodriguez back then and now shares the locker room with him.

Diaz was born in Barrancas at Guajira county, which is located near the Venezuela-Colombia border. His roots are the roots of an ethnic group called Wayuu, an ancient indigenous tribe which was located in the sources of Rancheria River. These roots gave him the opportunity to travel to Bogota for trials. Diaz was the best player in his neighborhood, and he came along with his team to be Colombia’s first indigenous team for the first ever indigenous Copa America back in 2015. The coaches of Colombia were Jhon Diaz and Carlos Valderrama, and it didn’t take them too long to pick him to be the captain once they noticed him at practice.

Arriba. El guajiro Luis Díaz con la Selección Colombia Indígena representando a los Wayuú, hace 4 años. Abajo, el Guajiro Díaz hoy, como titular de la selección Colombia en Copa América. 👏 pic.twitter.com/X8d9vdI5Js

— Juez Central (@Juezcentral) June 23, 2019
      In the tournament, Diaz was one of the best players who led Colombia to finish as runner-ups. When the team returned to Colombia, Valderrama decided to recommend Junior Barranquilla’s management to sign the talented player. They were impressed and sent Diaz to play with their feeder club, Barranquilla FC from the second division. Diaz became one of Barranquilla’s best players and was invited by the U-20 coach, Carlos Restrepo, to play at the 2017 U-20 South American Championship. Two years later, Junio Comesaña, Junior’s manager, decided to trial Diaz. Comesaña was very impressed, and Diaz made his debut appearance in a cup match against Once Caldas.

Diaz improved his skills as time passed by, and along with Teófilo Gutiérrez, they became the most dangerous duo in the Colombian league. He became one of the leading players of the club and had a key role in a team that won back-to-back domestic championships, a national cup, a Colombia Super Cup title, and even reached the Copa Sudamericana final, where they lost against Atletico Paranaense. His fast progress also brought him to the senior national team by Arturo Reyes, Diaz’s former manager in Barranquilla FC, who was the interim coach at the end of 2018. When Carlos Queiroz was appointed as Colombia’s new coach, he couldn’t ignore the new talent and managed to give him a chance in almost every warm-up match before the Copa America.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #212: Jan 29, 2022 09:02:08 am
      Guess we must be misunderstanding each other. You can have older players but my point is having 3 of them in the same position (ie. forwards). Van Dijk just renewed and he’s 30. No problem there. But we’re not going to have 3 cb’s over 30 tied to long term deals.

Salah when he re-ups he will be signed into his 30s. No issue there. But you cannot have all 3 (Mane, Bobby, Salah) of them age together.

I think cbs certainly can play into a good age. I dont think well have 3 forwards in their 30s, I think Bobby will be phased out. Mo and Sadio I think can both go on, Mo is a giveb, Sadio with a tweek to his game can still offer an awful lot to.

If all goes to pplan though we hopefully will have a few younglads coming through who make it even harder for Sadio and others to get game time
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #213: Jan 29, 2022 09:24:09 am
      Jeez.

None of Salah, Bobbi or mane will be leaving for a few seasons yet.

Origi might go this window but will defo be gone summer, and possibly taki as well they both are good enough and should be hungry enough to playing every week for someone.

Now can we get this chat back to the new guy . 🤣
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #214: Jan 29, 2022 09:29:38 am
      Plenty of clubs, big clubs around the globe are happy to stick with players in their mid to late 30s. The "common sense" thing to do is not write players off because of age.

My original point though is that our owners never hid thats how they operate

I think these professionals footballers now days are at a whole new level of physical fitness. They have diet coaches, people watching their heart rates, doing cardio every day. These footballers take care of themselves. The old saying that footballers cant play after 30 doesnt count anymore. I think these guys are in pretty good shape to keep playing on the top level until they are 33-34 now.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #215: Jan 29, 2022 09:33:01 am
      I think these professionals footballers now days are at a whole new level of physical fitness. They have diet coaches, people watching their heart rates, doing cardio every day. These footballers take care of themselves. The old saying that footballers cant play after 30 doesnt count anymore. I think these guys are in pretty good shape to keep playing on the top level until they are 33-34 now.

Correct 💯
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #216: Jan 29, 2022 09:34:26 am
      Watched the Columbia game last night, our man wasn't involved that much, a lot of play was thru middle or down the right. But he was pretty good from what glimpses he showed.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #217: Jan 29, 2022 10:02:46 am
      Not sure if they are mock-ups, but can’t think why they would be, but now seeing pics of Louis in a reds shirt so looks like a done deal 👍
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #218: Jan 29, 2022 10:21:40 am
      Till there’s official words saying nought we’ve been down this road before , it’s also unusual for a signing of ours to be all over the media before it’s a done deal .
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #219: Jan 29, 2022 11:08:56 am
      Till there’s official words saying nought we’ve been down this road before , it’s also unusual for a signing of ours to be all over the media before it’s a done deal .

Yep, this my take on it, normally there would have been some kind of message sent from the signee saying something  like he’s totally overwhelmed that a club like LFC would show interest in him and that he has always watched Liverpool on tv and his second cousins mums aunties father in laws cousins uncle once wore a Liverpool shirt back in the day and he’s always wanted to play for us, so I’m gonna wait to see him hold a scarf above his wee napper in front the Sir Kenny stand before i pontificate about what a wonderful signing we have just made.

Is he any good 😊?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #220: Jan 29, 2022 12:57:15 pm
      If this does go through, add it to the list of examples of how stupidly good this team is at identifying talent and doing all the work in the background without anyone noticing.

I tell you what, that right there is a comment bang on the money. If we were asked after H & G what we wanted, this would of been the stock answer. To have those in charge only making noise when they have something to say.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #221: Jan 29, 2022 01:05:26 pm
      Replacing Taki and Divock as the back up to Mane, Jota and Salah then?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #222: Jan 29, 2022 01:14:39 pm
      Replacing Taki and Divock as the back up to Mane, Jota and Salah then?

Looks like it. Divock and Taki will never be first team players here while Diaz will complete with Mane for first team spot so it makes sense. Harvey will be back soon so Taki will be getting even less minutes if he stays.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #223: Jan 29, 2022 01:51:14 pm
      I dont know much about Diaz. I read hes a new and better Coutinho. I remember him in the CL matches vs Porto and he was quick and a beast in attack. What are his Pros and Cons in our setup. Will he be an automatic starter? I cant see him taking Mane's spot so is he replacing Jota?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #224: Jan 29, 2022 01:53:44 pm
      I dont know much about Diaz. I read hes a new and better Coutinho. I remember him in the CL matches vs Porto and he was quick and a beast in attack. What are his Pros and Cons in our setup. Will he be an automatic starter? I cant see him taking Mane's spot so is he replacing Jota?

My thinking too! A lot of us assume he'll challenge/replace Mane on the left but as so often is the case, Jürgen and Co may have other ideas!
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #225: Jan 29, 2022 02:09:19 pm
      Whats the deal on this? Is it happening? I'll be honest, work has been so stupid the past 3 days and I've been working 16 hour days, so Ive barely looked at anything. Really excited about this.. .
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #226: Jan 29, 2022 02:12:01 pm
      Whats the deal on this? Is it happening? I'll be honest, work has been so stupid the past 3 days and I've been working 16 hour days, so Ive barely looked at anything. Really excited about this.. .

Looks like it’s all the finer details to sort out - medical etc
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #227: Jan 29, 2022 02:18:03 pm

Yep, this my take on it, normally there would have been some kind of message sent from the signee saying something  like he’s totally overwhelmed that a club like LFC would show interest in him and that he has always watched Liverpool on tv and his second cousins mums aunties father in laws cousins uncle once wore a Liverpool shirt back in the day and he’s always wanted to play for us, so I’m gonna wait to see him hold a scarf above his wee napper in front the Sir Kenny stand before i pontificate about what a wonderful signing we have just made.

Is he any good 😊?

That article I posted states where Diaz grew up they didn't have TV..

But what top player would line up against us (as he did) and not think "Ooh, I'd like to play for that team. ?

A group from the club went to Argentina to sort out contract details. Probably will take care of publicity photos as well since he will still be in South America when the window closes. I am forcing myself to believe this will happen this weekend.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #228: Jan 29, 2022 02:19:57 pm

Is he any good 😊?

That article I posted states where Diaz grew up they didn't have TV..

But what top player would line up against us (as he did) and not think "Ooh, I'd like to play for that team." ?

A group from the club went to Argentina to sort out contract details. Probably will take care of publicity photos as well since he will still be in South America when the window closes. I am forcing myself to believe this will happen this weekend.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 

Quick Reply