Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Luis Diaz Player Thread (F)

Read 57903 times
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,861 posts | 409 
      Re: Luis Diaz Player Thread (F)
      Reply #644: Mar 17, 2024 10:16:19 pm
      What is it with some peoples desire after a match to look to slag the current scapegoat- the same pricks were quiet as a mouse after the city game where he was superb

Superb at what? The lad missed at least 2 perhaps 3 F***ing sitters v City!!

Anybody who still gets excited when he takes 2 players on cuts inside and shoots on goal needs their F***ing head testing.

Made a LFC career this fella at nearly scoring. Carried plenty of 'threat' but F**k all in the way of results.

Can be sold for me along with Gakpo. In fairness to Luis at least hes nicer on the eye than the other time waster.

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2024 10:21:58 pm by __Tickle__ »
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #645: Mar 17, 2024 10:24:11 pm
      What is it with some peoples desire after a match to look to slag the current scapegoat- the same pricks were quiet as a mouse after the city game where he was superb
      Simple answer: Anger, We just lost an important football match to our biggest rivals, and many of us want to express our frustrations ( in whatever manner we want )... That's it, nothing else...just some passionate supporters who've just watched their team throw away a major fixture and are...like you, pissed off.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #646: Mar 17, 2024 11:40:37 pm
      'Superb' but missed three clear cut chances that could have won us the game.

Probably sums up his time here. Even when he hit the ground running after signing he missed a ton of chances (Mane picked up the slack back then).
      Yeah. Again, I think Diaz is very physically gifted. He's fast and has endurance to burn. He works very hard and he's certainly contributed to the squad over the the past few seasons. But to me his tends to really stand out in games we don't finish well in ( League cup finals, City game last week, etc.). I dunno if that's what I'd wanna be known for. Again, I don't wanna take away from any of his achievements. The point at Luton may very well be the difference in winning the league. He's played a lot this season and he was there when a lot of others were out. But his end product leaves a lot to be desired. He also likes to go alone a lot and drifts into the middle and then loses it and leaves us exposed on his side. There were two plays today that drove me nuts. One was when he had 3 people to pass to and just stayed on it and lost it from behind ( I'd have to rewatch to say when) and the other was when Elliot hit the post and then he just danced with it instead of doing something. It would've took a really good play to score from there, but when u just jig with the ball on your foot inside the 6 yardbox, the outcome won't be good.

I'd like to see another guy who looks to link up more and has a better shot on him....
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,565 posts | 391 
      Reply #647: Mar 18, 2024 12:21:06 am
      loads to love about him, effort is outstanding (i hate praising players for effort as it should just be a prerequisite but it isn't always) but the issue is, he just isn't a killer, and if he isn't a killer by 27 he never will be.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts | 154 
      Reply #648: Mar 18, 2024 01:04:24 am
      Set up a nice chance for Robbo when he shot over the bar and did set up Nunez who had the shot Onana parried to Salah who then scored….otherwise didn’t notice him too much in an attacking sense, puts in a lot of work but we say this about him a lot. Want to be praising him more on his goal contributions.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,753 posts | 861 
      Reply #649: Mar 18, 2024 01:17:34 am

In this thread, a few individuals, such as Breeding-Reds 434, have consistently expressed their opinions about Luis. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I agree that it can be tiresome when a group of people repeatedly criticizes a player after a bad game or loss. However, there are also many individuals who offer balanced and consistent opinions about players regardless of the situation. While these opinions may be more vocal after a loss, they are still valid and contribute to a well-rounded discussion.

For example, very early into last season, I expressed my belief that Luis Diaz might not fit the mold of what we typically look for in a winger. However, I also acknowledge that he brings a unique dimension to our team, especially considering our tendency to prioritize wingers who are strong finishers over traditional or technical players. While Luis adds something different to our front three, I believe our system functions best with two wingers who excel at finishing. If both Jota and Salah were fully fit throughout the season, it's likely that Luis would not have started as many games. Even if I consider Luis to be a superior technician and one-on-one player, he most certainly would've found himself benched had he joined earlier when Mane was a regular starter.

Edit: bottom line? I believe Luis would be a great addition to our team if he was used and was seen as depth rather than starting 11 material. If we cannot afford to have a player on his wage be considered as depth then I say we cut our losses and look for a winger that fits the mold of what we usually like in a winger.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #650: Mar 19, 2024 12:28:13 am
      I just don't rate him like some do, amd if he was sold i trust the new FSG regime put those funds to good use ane find a suitable replacement. Maybe even a better one?  I'm by no means saying he isn't good, but I do think his finishing is below average and he holds up play rather than linking it. Tbf, he had huge shoes to fill after Mane left.

Spot on with his finishing and his hold up play. Drives me F***ing bonkers.

He's brilliant till he gets to that box!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #651: Mar 19, 2024 11:07:08 am
      Said it before and nothing really has changed my mind this season but he flatters to deceive mostly and definitely not the player that hit the ground running once he signed.

Seems to have regressed and yes injuries and his family situation may have contributed but for me I'd look to move him on in the summer.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 764 
      Reply #652: Mar 19, 2024 11:49:47 am
      I am probably in the minority, I have always enjoyed watching him play for the Reds and would not want him shipped out. Although at the end of the day, if his efforts are not enough, he will be moved on at the end of the season.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 754 posts | 127 
      Reply #653: Mar 19, 2024 11:51:16 am
      57 games, 14 goals...
      That's a dog poo return in anyone's language...
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #654: Mar 19, 2024 01:30:03 pm

Seems to have regressed and yes injuries and his family situation may have contributed but for me I'd look to move him on in the summer.

As an outsider I have noticed his form slip since what happened to his dad.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,453 posts | 212 
      Reply #655: Mar 19, 2024 02:00:30 pm
      Superb at what? The lad missed at least 2 perhaps 3 F***ing sitters v City!!

Anybody who still gets excited when he takes 2 players on cuts inside and shoots on goal needs their F***ing head testing.

Made a LFC career this fella at nearly scoring. Carried plenty of 'threat' but F**k all in the way of results.

Can be sold for me along with Gakpo. In fairness to Luis at least hes nicer on the eye than the other time waster.

Spot on

Some people are used to playing fifa too
      Much and don’t realise it’s end product that matters. Not some fancy step overs or running past people and then doing nothing

I’ve got that tw*t on ignore anyway but no surprise he’s still typing like this

I bet he thought Nani was messi like

Bottom line is Diaz needs to start producing as does gapko or I can see o he next manager upgrading on them both imo
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #656: Mar 19, 2024 04:07:56 pm
      Should be getting an extra 5-10 goals a season. It's a shame as he has a high level of technical ability, a good work ethic and often gets in good positions, only to fluff it. Hopefully he gets on the score sheet a few times in the remaining games.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #657: Mar 19, 2024 05:55:00 pm
      If we were languishing mid-table and struggling for goals I’d be inclined to agree with some of you BUT we’re not. We’re joint top of the league with ten games to play, have got one trophy in the cabinet already and just won a last 16 tie 11-1 on aggregate. The minute we fail to win a game the skys falling in and many of you are saying we need to upgrade on Diaz, and upgrade on Gakpo or whoever else is fashionable.

Are we having a good season DESPITE those two lads??? I reckon we’ll be romping the league by 15 clear points next season if your upgrades go to plan.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #658: Mar 19, 2024 05:57:11 pm
      If we were languishing mid-table and struggling for goals I’d be inclined to agree with some of you BUT we’re not. We’re joint top of the league with ten games to play, have got one trophy in the cabinet already and just won a last 16 tie 11-1 on aggregate. The minute we fail to win a game the skys falling in and many of you are saying we need to upgrade on Diaz, and upgrade on Gakpo or whoever else is fashionable.

Are we having a good season DESPITE those two lads??? I reckon we’ll be romping the league by 15 clear points next season if your upgrades go to plan.

Díaz is very much involved in all the good stuff this season , unfortunately some only look at goals scored

Would be very interesting to know who people want to see as the upgrade ?

But I have no doubt that come the end of the season he will have proved his worth once again
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #659: Mar 19, 2024 06:04:34 pm

Sorry but I don't agree. Diaz plays most games. But he doesn't put the numbers up. If he was a backup player maybe you could argue for keeping him ... but 1 or 2 performances in 10 doesn't cut it at this level.

And when i say performances I mean numbers ... goals,  assists, matchwnning contributions.

Great lad, great attitude, but nowhere near enough productivity when it counts.

Somebody above mentioned how great he is until he gets in the box ... sadly that's the difference between a good player and a world class one.

Jota is world class. So is Salah. So was Mane. Their numbers were at a world class level and consistent. Diaz consistently underdelivers.

With Jota in ... we'd have beat City in my view and I'd say there is a fair chance we'd have won Sunday too. Fine margins but telling ones.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #660: Mar 19, 2024 06:26:32 pm
      Díaz is very much involved in all the good stuff this season , unfortunately some only look at goals scored

Would be very interesting to know who people want to see as the upgrade ?

Another player like Jota. Can play central and wide, maybe not look as flashy or technical but makes smart runs and movement and scores more.

I won't lose sleep if Diaz is still here next season but for me he's a player we could potentially upgrade on.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #661: Mar 19, 2024 06:35:52 pm
      Disappointing after a very productive February his form fell off a bit. Think he is a great option to come off bench with energy, pace and skill vs tired defenders can cause havoc (he does work himself in great positions). See what happen at the end of the season with him, sure he will get more then enough playing time to have a chance to prove doubters
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #662: Mar 19, 2024 07:24:46 pm
      Another player like Jota. Can play central and wide, maybe not look as flashy or technical but makes smart runs and movement and scores more.

I won't lose sleep if Diaz is still here next season but for me he's a player we could potentially upgrade on.

Jota is a superb player , it’s a shame we don’t get a full season out of him

But Diaz also creates space for players like Jota
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2102 
      Reply #663: Mar 19, 2024 07:49:08 pm
      As an outsider I have noticed his form slip since what happened to his dad.

The form has never really been there Keith. 14 goals and 8 assists in the league in over two years is not good enough for the standard we got used to. For context, Mane scored 16 league goals in his last season. That's the standard we have to measure him by.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #664: Mar 19, 2024 08:14:19 pm
      The form has never really been there Keith. 14 goals and 8 assists in the league in over two years is not good enough for the standard we got used to. For context, Mane scored 16 league goals in his last season. That's the standard we have to measure him by.

And that last season Mane was able to score more when he moved into the middle because Díaz arrived to play from the left

But he isn’t Mane and this is the first season Diaz has managed over 18 games in the league

gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 828 posts | 298 
      Reply #665: Mar 19, 2024 08:47:53 pm
      I like Diaz and think he's a very good player. He can be frustrating when he does some very good work running with the ball and then fails to produce a good shot or pass. I accept a lot of the criticism on here.

For me our best starting front 3 is Jota, Nunez and Mo. Diaz, then Gakpo, potentially Elliot then the young lads are the backups and they are very good backups. A few years ago we basically had Origi.

Our squad depth has been improving consistently over the Klopp era but I think it's unrealistic for fans to expect us to have 20+ players who are all world class in the squad. If the club identifies a top quality forward that we can afford as an upgrade on Diaz, it's all good. But I don't know a lot of suitable, realistic alternatives.

Scoring goals is obviously a very important part of football, especially for a forward but other parts of the game are very important as well and Diaz contributes a lot to the team.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts | 154 
      Reply #666: Mar 19, 2024 11:23:59 pm

Will any of it really matter if we go onto win the league?

The likes of Kuyt scored more as a wide player than Giggs ever did. Torres scored more than Tevez. What did it account for?

What wingers in the league are getting 10+ goals/assists a season besides Salah and Saka........because Grealish and Doku certainly aren't, neither are Martinelli or anyone at Utd. You have people raving about the likes of Olise and Neto and they haven't been able to hit the numbers someone like Diaz had.
      « Last Edit: Mar 19, 2024 11:38:44 pm by The-AllMightyReds »

Quick Reply