Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Luis Diaz Player Thread (F)

Read 57917 times
      Son Of A Gun and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2103 
      Re: Luis Diaz Player Thread (F)
      Reply #667: Mar 20, 2024 11:30:40 am
      Will any of it really matter if we go onto win the league?

The likes of Kuyt scored more as a wide player than Giggs ever did. Torres scored more than Tevez. What did it account for?

What wingers in the league are getting 10+ goals/assists a season besides Salah and Saka........because Grealish and Doku certainly aren't, neither are Martinelli or anyone at Utd. You have people raving about the likes of Olise and Neto and they haven't been able to hit the numbers someone like Diaz had.

Our style of play isn't markedly different to when Mane played here so it's not really an excuse is it.

Even not using Mane as a benchmark, by just using the gift of sight, you can see that Diaz should be scoring more goals. But he isn't - he can't finish his dinner and he misses umpteen opportunities to play the ball first time and get an assist. Simple as. I mean that City match was a perfect example of it. Could have had 3, fu**ed it all up on each and every one of them.

Defending and promoting mediocrity will get us back to days of 2009-2016
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,267 posts | 760 
      Reply #668: Mar 20, 2024 11:56:23 am
      Our style of play isn't markedly different to when Mane played here so it's not really an excuse is it.

Even not using Mane as a benchmark, by just using the gift of sight, you can see that Diaz should be scoring more goals. But he isn't - he can't finish his dinner and he misses umpteen opportunities to play the ball first time and get an assist. Simple as. I mean that City match was a perfect example of it. Could have had 3, fu**ed it all up on each and every one of them.

Don't mean to rattle your cage FMS...but I know that you know that No one on here is promoting mediocrity.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #669: Mar 20, 2024 02:15:00 pm
      I would honestly like to see Diaz just be a bit more direct. Run straight at defenders and into the box and force them to foul him or let him go.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,613 posts | 2159 
      Reply #670: Mar 20, 2024 04:15:29 pm

I would argue our style has altered somewhat since Nunez came into the side. Mane played predominantly alognside Firmino. Bobby was rarely the highest player on the pitch, more often than not he dropped deep and he vacated spaces for Mane and Salah to attack/step into. Whilst Nunez does do this at times, he is more often than not our highest player and is more likely to be central than wide. Also, If Nunez continues his steady improvement i would argue that less of the goal burden will fall on our two wider forwards over time.

Diaz might lack a little in terms of his finishing but I think he's a fine player and those who are lazily suggesting an upgrade (as if that's easy) should remember that forward players from foreign shores often struggle to make an impact in the EPL. Could Diaz be more more consistent? Yes, for sure. Have we seen the best of him in a Red shirt? I don't think so. Is he one of the many reasons this team is sitting joint top of the league with a trophy in the cabinet this season? Absolutely.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #671: Mar 20, 2024 04:18:00 pm

Diaz is not a mediocre player by any stretch

We are fighting for the title because of players like him
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2103 
      Reply #672: Mar 21, 2024 11:02:29 am

Yeah, and unless he (and Gakpo) starts contributing a bit more in terms of assists and goals then fighting is the best it's going to get as opposed to actually winning the thing.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #673: Mar 21, 2024 11:05:37 am
      Yeah, and unless he (and Gakpo) starts contributing a bit more in terms of assists and goals then fighting is the best it's going to get as opposed to actually winning the thing.

Both have double figure goals this season

Who are people who expecting to see come in to replace Diaz and provide more ?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,050 posts | 2103 
      Reply #674: Mar 21, 2024 03:59:43 pm
      Both have double figure goals this season

Who are people who expecting to see come in to replace Diaz and provide more ?

We can see it with our own eyes that he fails to deceive when with the ball at his feet in fantastic positions. The slowing down of play, the running into cul de sacs, the inability to find the target. The City match was a perfect example of that - screamingly obvious that he should have contributed far more than he did in the end.

Diaz and Gakpo are rarely match winners. They seem to contribute only when the match has been won in our favour. It hints that both are incapable of the pressure of being a match winner and that they only perform when the pressure is off. Not players for the big game or the big moment and it's costing us what should be victories against the best sides. No wonder we have such a poor record against fellow top 4/6 sides.

They love to swing punches...but only when the opponent is down, flat on his back.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #675: Mar 21, 2024 04:29:54 pm

We are fighting for the title because of the collective team. Some players on this team contribute more than others to results. That's how it is with any team.

In the end of the day, it comes down to matter of opinion. We obviously know where you stand on Diaz, and it's obvious where people like myself and Frankly stand :lmao:

I have 3 kids who I shuffle around all over, a full time job, and everyday meaningless task that leep me pretty busy. I don't have time to give you analytical numbers, I'm just stating what I observe week in and week out. And as I've said many time before on here, I'm not expert. But what I see is an athletic talent who seems to be an unfinished product in the final third. He works hard and his conditioning is through the roof. He's also had a tough season, both on and off the pitch. But he doesn't score or create enough to the score sheet. That's what mist judge him on. As to who will do better, I don't know. I have names as to who I think would do a good job, but I don't work for the club nor am I qualified to. Just staying my opinion and seconding Franklys
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 155 
      Reply #676: Mar 21, 2024 06:47:38 pm
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 155 
      Reply #677: Mar 21, 2024 06:51:43 pm
      As per Whoscored;

Liverpool have scored 120 goals in all competitions this season so far - that's the highest in any of the Top 5 leagues in Europe. Diaz is part of the reason for that, not a reason why we haven't scored more. Could he have better end product? Of course but no team in the world has a team full of clinical strikers. He's a winger not a striker like a Nunez or Jota.

City 110 goals in all comps.
      Arsenal 90 goals
      Spurs 61 goals
      Villa 67 goals
      Chelsea 73 goals
      Real Madrid 96 goals
      Bayer Leverkusen 109 goals
      Bayern Munich 98 goals
      PSG 96 goals
      Inter Milan 86 goals

Seems wild after seeing stats like these we can still freely criticise the attack at will. I think some people really take them for granted.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #678: Mar 21, 2024 06:58:34 pm

Thanks for the stats. Does perhaps show he's doing a lot right but not clinical enough. Where is Jota btw?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #679: Mar 21, 2024 07:16:23 pm
      We can see it with our own eyes that he fails to deceive when with the ball at his feet in fantastic positions. The slowing down of play, the running into cul de sacs, the inability to find the target. The City match was a perfect example of that - screamingly obvious that he should have contributed far more than he did in the end.

Diaz and Gakpo are rarely match winners. They seem to contribute only when the match has been won in our favour. It hints that both are incapable of the pressure of being a match winner and that they only perform when the pressure is off. Not players for the big game or the big moment and it's costing us what should be victories against the best sides. No wonder we have such a poor record against fellow top 4/6 sides.

They love to swing punches...but only when the opponent is down, flat on his back.

So who comes in to replace him ?

Who out there will bring in more
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 155 
      Reply #680: Mar 21, 2024 07:26:36 pm
      Thanks for the stats. Does perhaps show he's doing a lot right but not clinical enough. Where is Jota btw?

Injured.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,162 posts | 1092 
      Reply #681: Mar 21, 2024 07:28:55 pm
      So who comes in to replace him ?

Who out there will bring in more
      Musiala can play the LW. Would break the bank though, even if we did sale Diaz to help fund it. With Edwards involved, I'm sure it's some dude we've never heard of and he will end up being a baller
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #682: Mar 21, 2024 09:51:06 pm

Of course and so is Trent. It's a bit strange that Diogo isn't contained in that list given he's been arguably our best attacker this season.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 155 
      Reply #683: Mar 21, 2024 10:30:43 pm
      Of course and so is Trent. It's a bit strange that Diogo isn't contained in that list given he's been arguably our best attacker this season.

Only messing with you  ;D

Think it's more to do with the fact Jota's played around 600 minutes less than the guy with the least minutes played on that chart and when you take into account what the graph actually depicts, every 90mins he's missed we must've created in excess of 30-40 chances + shots.

Jota given the chance will more often than not stick the ball away but he's not as influential in the build up in my opinion as the others.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #684: Mar 22, 2024 01:37:02 am
      Should be getting an extra 5-10 goals a season. It's a shame as he has a high level of technical ability, a good work ethic and often gets in good positions, only to fluff it. Hopefully he gets on the score sheet a few times in the remaining games.

Spot on, he does all the hard work but he shoots and the majority of the time, it's straight at the Keeper or he's knackered at the end of one of his mazy runs, shoots and that shot, is generally weak as piss.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 764 
      Reply #685: Mar 22, 2024 10:05:23 am
      He does a lot of hard work, unable to finish, whilst Jota always seems to hit the target and score. Perhaps the main difference between the two players. Overall the team has scored freely this season, whoever comes into the side.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #686: Mar 22, 2024 10:16:06 am
      Diaz has been one of our best players past wee while. Could have more goals and slightly better end product. But by god the lad works his socks off, must be a nightmare to play against.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,543 posts | 725 
      Reply #687: Mar 22, 2024 11:17:54 pm
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,020 posts | 527 
      Reply #688: Mar 23, 2024 01:26:19 am

Lovely stuff Luis. Who was that he skinned? Couldn't see it on my phone. Porro?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #689: Mar 23, 2024 10:52:55 am
      Lovely stuff Luis. Who was that he skinned? Couldn't see it on my phone. Porro?

Lad from Bilbao I think making his debut Vivan something like that

Quick Reply