Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Luis Diaz Player Thread (F)

Read 52730 times
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Re: Luis Diaz Player Thread
      Reply #253: Jun 02, 2022 01:36:42 pm

That's just against your lot Keith.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #254: Jun 02, 2022 01:39:31 pm
      That's just against your lot Keith.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Yeah in your dreams maybe.  :lmao: Don’t think he will score more than 20 in the league though in my opinion. Still a great return though if it is between 15/20.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #255: Jun 04, 2022 10:02:56 am
      Very excited for him to be the main man on the left next season, gonna blow us away I think, only a matter of time before he’s hitting the target regularly from those chances.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Re: Luis Diaz Player Thread (F)
      Reply #256: Jul 22, 2022 01:52:15 pm
      Watched the friendly against Leipzig yesterday and noticed something that has been in the back of my mind for a little while. I understand that he is a type of winger different to those we have. With Jota and Salah being very direct wingers who like to make runs towards the goal without the ball, Diaz is a bit of the opposite. He likes to run with the ball at his feet. This is really good because it gives us something different, frees up some space for the players around him and opens up avenues of play that Jota and Salah will usually not open up for you.

However, I noticed that he tends to keep the ball at his feet a little bit too long. Often, a couple of players will make runs to open up options for him, but he'll take an unnecessary extra touch on the ball or go for the extra dribble and by then his options are no longer there or he dispossessed. Its the same for his shooting.

Of course, me saying this those not mean I think he is bad player or anything like that. I think he needs to sharpen his decision making because at the moment he's not bringing to fruition a lot of the runs and dribbles he makes. Often Firmino and Salah were open around him (yesterday but also during the season), mainly because of the combination of space he creates via his run and them recognizing that and making their own runs but he ends up neither passing or shooting and he slows it down again giving the opposition time to adjust and close down those spaces he and his teammates had just opened up.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #257: Jul 24, 2022 12:19:07 am
      Watched the friendly against Leipzig yesterday and noticed something that has been in the back of my mind for a little while. I understand that he is a type of winger different to those we have. With Jota and Salah being very direct wingers who like to make runs towards the goal without the ball, Diaz is a bit of the opposite. He likes to run with the ball at his feet. This is really good because it gives us something different, frees up some space for the players around him and opens up avenues of play that Jota and Salah will usually not open up for you.

However, I noticed that he tends to keep the ball at his feet a little bit too long. Often, a couple of players will make runs to open up options for him, but he'll take an unnecessary extra touch on the ball or go for the extra dribble and by then his options are no longer there or he dispossessed. Its the same for his shooting.

Of course, me saying this those not mean I think he is bad player or anything like that. I think he needs to sharpen his decision making because at the moment he's not bringing to fruition a lot of the runs and dribbles he makes. Often Firmino and Salah were open around him (yesterday but also during the season), mainly because of the combination of space he creates via his run and them recognizing that and making their own runs but he ends up neither passing or shooting and he slows it down again giving the opposition time to adjust and close down those spaces he and his teammates had just opened up.

IMO that's very similar to what Mane did the last few years. You take the good with bad. Especially when you have guys that's bring you a different element and are as dynamic as the two I just mentioned. Like Mane, he seems to press his ass off without the ball, and that's invaluable
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #258: Jul 26, 2022 01:43:02 pm
      IMO that's very similar to what Mane did the last few years. You take the good with bad. Especially when you have guys that's bring you a different element and are as dynamic as the two I just mentioned. Like Mane, he seems to press his ass off without the ball, and that's invaluable
      I agree and like I said I don't think he's bad or that he shouldn't start. However, I think his decisions making needs to start improving a bit if we are to see goals out of him on a regular basis.

With that said, the lad has literally been here for half a season and has hit the ground running, he has plenty of time to improve. I'm pretty sure he's one of the players who the benefits of a full preseason will be the biggest for.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #259: Aug 16, 2022 06:02:40 am
      What a goal, well done.

He was everywhere. Keep it up. You will be needed heavily the next three games.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #260: Aug 16, 2022 08:01:01 am
      Most people watching the game, including me, would have taken him of at half time.
      Very good goal, he's a quality player.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #261: Aug 16, 2022 08:08:51 am
      yeah, the haters were nauseating
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #262: Aug 16, 2022 08:33:51 am
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #263: Aug 18, 2022 12:30:23 pm
      Most people watching the game, including me, would have taken him of at half time.

I wouldn't.

Was in the ground and the tracking back in the first half was superb. Type of spade work Kuyt used to get lauded for.

Absolutely superb goal too.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #264: Aug 18, 2022 10:56:14 pm
      I wouldn't.

Was in the ground and the tracking back in the first half was superb. Type of spade work Kuyt used to get lauded for.

Absolutely superb goal too.

The Dirk comparison is bang on regards his work rate. Pressing and tracking back is first class.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #265: Aug 18, 2022 11:09:43 pm

And replace with who?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #266: Aug 22, 2022 10:19:41 pm
      Like him as a player but he is just not being utilised as he should. Too many times he’s fighting just to hang on to the ball and make a backwards pass. Constantly receiving it on the touchline with his back to goal. Don’t see him anywhere near enough facing down the full back.

Not sure what the answer is… Is it the player or the system? Salah plays wide as well but he also gets in behind. How are we not getting this down the left hand side? Is it the understanding with Robbo? The goal he scored last week was a piece of magic from him but can’t expect him to be doing that every week.
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #267: Aug 23, 2022 12:10:37 am
      He's just not doing it for us. He tries so hard but he doesn't really imprint himself on the wing and cause terror.

I think of wingers of the past like Mane, Hazard, Robben, Ronaldo (first time around), Son etc and they caused/cause terror on their side of the pitch. Diaz seems to stutter a lot and doesn't bring that impact we need at this level.

I think he's an excellent option to have but I don't think he should be starting. Problem is we have no one to replace him with. Jota is ineffective on the wing and is also going through his own barren run.

Edit* just read 7kingkenny7's post in the match thread and it makes sense what he's said. He needs a midfielder on his side that can link up with him. He looks very isolated.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #268: Aug 23, 2022 01:31:45 am
      Huffed and puffed again today.

Was hoping he'd come up with something remarkable like last week but nope, that didn't happen!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #269: Aug 23, 2022 08:34:20 am
      He's just not doing it for us. He tries so hard but he doesn't really imprint himself on the wing and cause terror.

I think of wingers of the past like Mane, Hazard, Robben, Ronaldo (first time around), Son etc and they caused/cause terror on their side of the pitch. Diaz seems to stutter a lot and doesn't bring that impact we need at this level.

I think he's an excellent option to have but I don't think he should be starting. Problem is we have no one to replace him with. Jota is ineffective on the wing and is also going through his own barren run.

Edit* just read 7kingkenny7's post in the match thread and it makes sense what he's said. He needs a midfielder on his side that can link up with him. He looks very isolated.

7KK7's point is a great one.

He does look like at times he's trying to do everything on his own while simultaneously doing not much effective work.

There's not a much link up and cohesion on the other side as well and for me this season smacks of just putting players into a system we have that doesn't really fit or work instead of drilling into a system that gets the best out of the players we have now.

Diaz is very much not Sadio Mane. Totally different players.

__Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #270: Aug 23, 2022 08:44:56 am
      I think he is our best player so far this season. If we can start dominating the middle of the park again he could do his thing a bit further up the pitch. At the moment we hit it to him early because he runs at the opposition and gets us on the front foot. But he's picking the ball up miles from the box.
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #271: Aug 28, 2022 07:17:12 pm
      Well done Diazler, what a cool player we bought, well done kidda.
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 107 
      Reply #272: Aug 28, 2022 07:25:19 pm
      Probably my fav player right now. Energetic, direct, and has fantastic ability. Right now, he looks like our most dangerous player.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #273: Aug 28, 2022 07:34:09 pm
      Maybe Luis tries too hard sometimes, I am not sure, but well done for his perfomance against Bournemouth yesterday, with two excellently taken goals !
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #274: Sep 03, 2022 02:54:53 pm
      Has a lot of work to do if he's going to be a star at this club.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #275: Sep 05, 2022 01:57:42 am
      Game of inches, his wicked shot hit's the inside of the bar and stays out, how the F**k is that possible? Could have had another worldie on his resume.

Quick Reply