Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Luis Diaz Player Thread (F)

Read 56150 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Re: Luis Diaz Player Thread (F)
      Reply #345: Feb 28, 2023 06:18:18 pm
      Cant wait to watch him play again. Most flamboyant player we have, since Mo is on vacation this season.

He was the perfect replacement for Mane and we miss that coming from the left

https://twitter.com/empireofthekop/status/1630632675462746113?s=46&t=q2ctEBamqJJw19yIRrazOQ
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #346: Mar 08, 2023 11:09:37 pm
      Lucho is back.

Should make the bench this weekend. 👊
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,988 posts | 516 
      Reply #347: Mar 09, 2023 09:36:24 pm
      Lucho is back.

We've got some serious options up front these days. There was a time I was worried on case any of our front 3 got injured. Fortunately Mo, Sadio n Bobby were more or less indestructible at that time. These days only an injury to Mo might be a problem (even then we've Doak looking promising).
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #348: Mar 09, 2023 09:42:29 pm
      Lucho is back.

Can't see it
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 849 
      Reply #349: May 20, 2023 09:20:16 pm
      Posted this in the match thread, but I realized this thread is probably the more appropriate place for it:

I know this might be a very unpopular opinion, but as much as I like him as a player and recognize his undeniable qualities as a winger, I simply never understood the transfer. We play a system with a false nine and our goal scorers are the wingers. Mane, Salah, Jota all represent that very well. Players who are/were wingers yes, but their main strengths were elsewhere than in the dribbling abilities. They all are surprisingly strong for their size, very quick, they make very smart runs all the time and have outstanding finishing abilities. Diaz is a conventional winger. He's fast and tricky and possess a powerful shot. Yes he'll score goals, but he'll never replace the output Mane gave us or even come close to doing that. Between starting him or Jota, I'd start the latter any day of the week.

Maybe his transfer was based on the idea that we need to diversify the type of wingers we have and a more traditional winger might be useful in certain situations. Otherwise, like I said, those waiting/expecting a sizeable return of goals by him will be waiting for a long time.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #350: May 21, 2023 12:03:54 am
      Posted this in the match thread, but I realized this thread is probably the more appropriate place for it:

I know this might be a very unpopular opinion, but as much as I like him as a player and recognize his undeniable qualities as a winger, I simply never understood the transfer. We play a system with a false nine and our goal scorers are the wingers. Mane, Salah, Jota all represent that very well. Players who are/were wingers yes, but their main strengths were elsewhere than in the dribbling abilities. They all are surprisingly strong for their size, very quick, they make very smart runs all the time and have outstanding finishing abilities. Diaz is a conventional winger. He's fast and tricky and possess a powerful shot. Yes he'll score goals, but he'll never replace the output Mane gave us or even come close to doing that. Between starting him or Jota, I'd start the latter any day of the week.

Maybe his transfer was based on the idea that we need to diversify the type of wingers we have and a more traditional winger might be useful in certain situations. Otherwise, like I said, those waiting/expecting a sizeable return of goals by him will be waiting for a long time.

I pretty much agree with this. Clearly a very talented player, but with little end product, so has very little major impact on a game.
      Jota cearly a bigger threat.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #351: May 21, 2023 02:28:56 am
      Frustrated the crap out of me last night.

Easily looked our most potent forward, continually getting the ball and running at them but as soon as he got to the edge of the box, seemed to lose all composure and just went for the hit and hope.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #352: May 21, 2023 03:00:13 am

Very good post and hard to disagree with.

For me Jota gives us much more balance in that left side but Diaz is more of a 'maverick' player that we didn't really have before, one that had that element of unpredictability to him.

Definitely had a lot to offer the squad but I'm not totally convinced he should be nailed on starter.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #353: Jun 21, 2023 05:14:19 am
      He scored against Germany. I didn't see the goal, any links please?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,518 posts | 713 
      Reply #354: Jun 21, 2023 06:21:17 pm
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #355: Jun 21, 2023 06:26:35 pm

It’s going to be huge with him being fit next season
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #356: Jun 26, 2023 11:04:46 am
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #357: Jun 26, 2023 11:16:01 am
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #358: Jul 03, 2023 01:42:48 pm
      He really needs to step up this season. There’s no doubt that he is unbelievable but needs more end product if he wants to get to Mane / Firmino / Salah status.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #359: Jul 05, 2023 01:14:12 am
      He really needs to step up this season. There’s no doubt that he is unbelievable but needs more end product if he wants to get to Mane / Firmino / Salah status.

Agreed mate, he has lightning pace, all the tricks in the world to go around defenders and a wicked shot on him.

Just needs to be going either side of keeper, as I noticed most of his shots are aimed directly at the keeper. Just that end finishing product and we have another Superstar on on hands.
      JamPe
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #360: Jul 05, 2023 11:42:48 am
      Hmm, returning shirts? Why not buy a new one with number 7 and keep the old one with number 23? For the collection :)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #361: Jul 05, 2023 12:41:56 pm
      Hmm, returning shirts? Why not buy a new one with number 7 and keep the old one with number 23? For the collection :)

l o l

some people may well do that. others may not have the cash to spend on 2 strips.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,276 posts | 762 
      Reply #362: Jul 05, 2023 01:08:23 pm
      Always gives the impression, that he would run through a brick wall for the team. Hope Luis remains injury free in the coming season, he has become a key player, in a very short space of time, at the club.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #363: Jul 19, 2023 12:09:56 pm
      Suidis fishing for diaz now, been told tae bolt by the club. GOOD !!!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,276 posts | 762 
      Reply #364: Jul 19, 2023 03:27:58 pm
      They should be told in no uncertain terms, where to go ! Selling our star players such as Luis would be complete madness !
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 849 
      Reply #365: Jul 19, 2023 04:04:59 pm
      I don't think he will. He's just not that type of player. He's a fantastic winger with lots of talent and he will score goals, but if you want something resembling Mane's production on that LW then you play Jota, he's the left winger with an eye for goal. Diaz is the more traditional winger who has lots of speed and trickery in him, but watch him play and you realize he's nowhere near the level of Jota, Salah, Nunez or Mane without the ball at his feet. These guys are constantly testing backlines with smart runs in behind, they are also surprisingly physical for how small they are and they use that more than you'd think. Diaz is just not that. I think we bought him to diversify our frontline and have that type of winger we otherwise don't have.

Of course, Diaz could turn around and prove me wrong but I doubt it because like I said, its a stylistic issue rather than performance one. It's not a bad thing at all to have that type of wingers in your team, but for me when him and Jota are in form, the starting spot for that LW is Jota's. I'll go even further and say that if that if we keep the idea of the false 9 and that CF role ends up being Gakpo's (and that's how it looked in the last month and a half of the season or so) and what you need from that LW role is goals production then Nunez might make his chances at a permanent starting position even harder. All in all, this is great for us, we have diversity in the type of wingers that can play that position and lots of competition between 3 very good/world class players. We might end up having to sell one in year or so from now, but for the moment its good stuff.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,161 posts | 829 
      Reply #366: Jul 19, 2023 08:07:53 pm
      Very good post and hard to disagree with.

For me Jota gives us much more balance in that left side but Diaz is more of a 'maverick' player that we didn't really have before, one that had that element of unpredictability to him.

Definitely had a lot to offer the squad but I'm not totally convinced he should be nailed on starter.

This Graeme Kelly fella on twitter is saying that the LFC staff think he isn't getting the numbers they expected.

I like Diaz, but yeah he is no where near Mane or Salah level.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #367: Jul 19, 2023 08:35:55 pm
      I thought we missed Diaz in a big way last season. One of the few players we have who will take on defenders and create opportunities for himself and others using his dribbling skills.

Personally I like a front three of Diaz, Jota and Salah. Plus we have great options with Gakpo and Nunez. We look in great shape up top if they can all stay fit.

If Diaz is fit I’m expecting at least ten goals from him this season.

Quick Reply