Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Hicks set to sell stake?

Read 3413 times
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Hicks set to sell stake?
      Nov 30, 2007 08:28:27 am
      Now you can take this anyway you want especially after the last weeks "in depth reporting"
      But this piece is in todays Mirror by a respected journalist (aren't they all?)

I for one could see some truth in it as I think having two big owners is similar to when we had two managers, what happens if they disagree on a major financial issue? and who would have the casting vote?
      If it is another load of rubbish some of these papers must have Hans Christian Anderson writing for them.

Hicks set to sell stake
      Exclusive by Martin Lipton 30/11/2007

Rafa Benitez's war with Liverpool owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks took a stunning twist last night as it emerged one of the two American millionaires is looking for a way out of the club.

City sources confirmed last night that Hicks, who has been at the forefront of the battle with Benitez, is preparing an exit strategy. Barely nine months after arriving at Anfield in a blaze of glory after the £219million takeover, it is understood Hicks has placed a guide valuation of a staggering £1billion on the Merseyside club.

And while that price is seen as ridiculous by City analysts, it emerged last night that Dubai International Capital, the investment group headed by Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, and who were jilted at the alter by Liverpool 12 months ago, could be ready to make a new bid.

Hicks' relationship with Benitez reached almost total breakdown last week, when the Spaniard was ordered to "quit talking about new players" in the January transfer window.
      Benitez expected to be sacked as the row intensified, although a fragile peace was forged ahead of Wednesday's vital Champions League win over Porto, which kept the Reds in the competition.

Hundreds of fans marched on Anfield before the game to show their backing for Benitez.

Daily Mirror Link

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2007 08:33:34 am by Glenbuck »
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Hicks set to sell stake?
      Reply #1: Nov 30, 2007 08:35:05 am
      TBH it sounds like it could well be a load of bollocks. They've had to give up on the story of Rafa getting sacked as we have made it perfectly clear we won't let it happen and it seems they're clutching at straws now.

If it is true though I would call a taxi for Mr Hicks personally, I'm not quite sure how it could work if Gillett shared power with DIC though. I would be much happier if Gillett bought the club outright, he seems a lot more sensible than Hicks & definitley a lot more media savvy.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #2: Nov 30, 2007 08:38:28 am
      This is worry but these two have had business joint business acquisitions previously so I'm sure they know how to deal with the situation where the manager disagrees with them.

I think we should just wait until they have their meeting and stop getting carried away with tabloid speculation.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #3: Nov 30, 2007 08:40:12 am
      If it is true though I would call a taxi for Mr Hicks personally, I'm not quite sure how it could work if Gillett shared power with DIC though. I would be much happier if Gillett bought the club outright, he seems a lot more sensible than Hicks & definitley a lot more media savvy.

Quite right Eddie I would prefer this too.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #4: Nov 30, 2007 08:41:51 am
      Well, another thread was running suggesting this very thing...doesn't seem all that farfetched, be it factual or not. It could boil down to the ol' 'this town aint big enough for the two (three) of us'...should be interesting.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #5: Nov 30, 2007 08:48:15 am
      I posted last week regarding the Americans return on capitol!! It just goes to show how they view our club and what they true motives are!!! they want one billion pounds for us, cheeky cu*ts, and they were deigning Rafa a few quid for bosmans and other odd signings.  If DIC interest is true and infact the whole Mirror article has some substance then lets hope and pray that both sides can pull it of cause it the answer to all our dreams, and they would deffo F**k Parry off after the up hauling way he treated them nine months ago.   Still thinking this one through!!!
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #6: Nov 30, 2007 08:49:37 am
      interesting! but i  just cant see this. For one point why float the club at 1 billion, he knows that cant be the right price our club is F***ing priceless, so is rafa so that adds up to this being bollox as eddie said..
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #7: Nov 30, 2007 08:57:11 am
      interesting! but I  just cant see this. For one point why float the club at 1 billion, he knows that cant be the right price our club is F***ing priceless, so is rafa so that adds up to this being bollox as eddie said..

They are not floating it they are selling it!!! A DIC is one organisation with the cash to do it and Messrs H & G know it.  They don't expect to get 1 billion for it but 1/2 bill would be nice!!!   Again lets see if anything more comes of this today (denials from DIC etc.)
      marcopolored
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #8: Nov 30, 2007 09:21:27 am
      The same story is also reported in the Telegraph
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #9: Nov 30, 2007 09:56:16 am
      Sorry. but I'm not taking any bullshit from the ****ing Mirror as truth.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #10: Nov 30, 2007 10:02:20 am
      Sorry. but I'm not taking any bullshit from the ****ing Mirror as truth.

It could have been the red top who must not be named!
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #11: Nov 30, 2007 10:03:50 am
      It could have been the red top who must not be named!

Sure, but it's still the Mirror.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #12: Nov 30, 2007 10:25:39 am
      Sure, but it's still the Mirror.

Yes and it is still a national paper they all come out with crap now and again but they aint THAT bad.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #13: Nov 30, 2007 11:02:37 am
      Someone pls. ask that Mr. P***k or Hicks or whatever you may call him to stop f*****g around with LFC, you don't buy a club and 6 mths later decides to dump it and cash-in maximum. That goes to show that he doesn't have any passion at all for the club. Conservatively, if going by what the media says is half - true, that goes to show that 1/2 that partnership has began to rear its ugly horns. Before we sold it to the Yankees, we should have known too well what is their ulterior motive. Mr. Parry, if you still have passion for the club, you just don't simply sell your club to someone who does not have passon for the club, let alone whether they understands the game. Apparently you don't. I would say if he wants to chicken out, let him be, good riddance and let's get in another joint owner whom has true passion for the club. Besides that, that Mr. P***k should know too well that we are heading in the right direction, judging from the results so far, we just need some fine tuning in certain positions by means of investments and we would be on our away.     

Damn these dramatic Yankees.

P/S : Those scums should not be too happy, they could be next on the line and by the time they do cash-out they may have destroyed their club big time and by the time the fans knows it it'll be sayonara.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #14: Nov 30, 2007 11:15:54 am
      The more you assess the situation, the more glaring it is that this whole mess could have been avoided. There is nothing wrong with a manager wanting to strengthen the Squad. you dont undermine a team manager and expect him to still hold his head up without first putting up a fight first. Rafa proved that money doesn't always have the last say; Respect & Dignity talks too.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #15: Nov 30, 2007 12:55:23 pm
      I think Hicks has relised he isnt going to make money in Football stick to your yankie games Mr Hicks.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #16: Nov 30, 2007 12:57:10 pm
      If there are new contracts to be drawn up then the first clauses should read:

1. Do not interfere with the Manager's ideas on new signings 

2. Remain in this country to discuss potential signings/or have representative available

3. Do not underestimate the fanbase of LFC !! 
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #17: Nov 30, 2007 01:11:08 pm
      They are not floating it they are selling it!!! A DIC is one organisation with the cash to do it and Messrs H & G know it.  They don't expect to get 1 billion for it but 1/2 bill would be nice!!!   Again lets see if anything more comes of this today (denials from DIC etc.)

Umm I think your missing the point there mate my post wasnt meant to taken litterally I think I made that obvious with me comments.
      But I would agree sometimes the emotion can be lost in the written word hey!!

If there are new contracts to be drawn up then the first clauses should read:

1. Do not interfere with the Manager's ideas on new signings 

2. Remain in this country to discuss potential signings/or have representative available

3. Do not underestimate the fanbase of LFC !! 

Totally agree 100% smigs  mate something needs to be drawn up.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #18: Nov 30, 2007 01:14:27 pm
      I heard from people in work this morning that it had also been reported on Radio City although their source may also have been the redtops.

The recent Rafa saga raises some interesting questions.

Don't the Americans understand how football soccer in the Premier League and Europe works?

If not why hasn't Parry explained it to them?  (Mind you given Parry's demonstrated incompetence in the StevieG fiasco when we nearly lost him to Chelski I wouldn't be surprised if he had done and said nothing.)

Has the recent economic problems with markets in America, the dive in the value of the dollar and the escallating cost of the stadium put the skids on any further money being spent?

I don't think losing Hicks and Parry would be a bad thing especially if we could get someone in who have a passion for the game and the club and does not only view it as an investment or a cash cow.

But as EddieC has observed it it probably just a load of b*llocks. ???
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #19: Nov 30, 2007 01:27:55 pm

But as EddieC has observed it it probably just a load of b*llocks. ???

Hot off the official website

Chief executive Rick Parry today laughed off newspaper speculation about the ownership of Liverpool Football Club. 
      A report this morning claimed co-owner Tom Hicks was looking to sell his shares.

But Parry said: "I have seen the story, and as far as I am aware it is complete rubbish."

Looks like EddieC as usual got it right!! or it could be completely true? ;D
      « Last Edit: Nov 30, 2007 01:31:31 pm by Oldred »
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #20: Nov 30, 2007 01:36:52 pm
      Hot off the official website

Chief executive Rick Parry today laughed off newspaper speculation about the ownership of Liverpool Football Club. 
      A report this morning claimed co-owner Tom Hicks was looking to sell his shares.

But Parry said: "I have seen the story, and as far as I am aware it is complete rubbish."

Looks like EddieC as usual got it right!! or it could be completely true? ;D

Parry jumps right into that argument, yet keeps schtum when the Rafa business was going on! What a pr**k!
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #21: Nov 30, 2007 01:44:21 pm
      Parry jumps right into that argument, yet keeps schtum when the Rafa business was going on! What a pr**k!

Yeah, thats weird. So they immediately jump to deny rumours involving Hicks and yet remain silent when the same press claim Rafa's going to be sacked?

This says more about Parry than Anything- what a hypocrite and how inconsistent. Either you respond to the tabloids or keep quiet!
      « Last Edit: Nov 30, 2007 01:46:35 pm by LondonRed »
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #22: Nov 30, 2007 01:52:17 pm
      If Parry said it's bollocks I now believe it's true :D

Quick Reply