Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Cardiff?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (3.2%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      2 (3.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (7.9%)
      Ibrahima KonatƩ
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Naby KeĆÆta
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      2 (3.2%)
      Diogo Jota
      25 (39.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      27 (42.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: Feb 10, 2022 01:50:36 pm

Liverpool 3-1 Cardiff City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 12179 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,048 posts | 3431 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Cardiff City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Feb 07, 2022 06:41:13 pm

Itā€™s quite a headache JĆ¼rgen has created for himself isnā€™t it, Fabinho right now I agree has to start, Iā€™m not sure there is a better DM anywhere all across  Europe perhaps even globally,
       Hendo being Skipper does not guarantee a starting berth, as good as he has been, however he is a leader of men and when fully fit he should be starting, but that might depend  on who the opponents are, Thiago with his vision and passing expertise has to start, especially if we have a front  three combination of , Mo, Mane, Bobby, Jota or Luis, and again the opposition could influence who plays,

Harvey, I mean Wow, he has it all doesnā€™t he ? what Iā€™m worrying about is that we donā€™t burn him out, like we did with little Micky O, donā€™t think that will happen in this day and age though if Iā€™m honest, but still, we need to be careful with him, I agree that a midfield trio of Fabinho, Thiago and Harvey would be splendifferous but it could get overrun, it lacks steel for me so it will be interesting who come in in the summer especially if Jimmy hangs his boots up or moves on, we have young Carvalho come in but weā€™re still light in muscle imo,

Last night we seen when Diaz come on Bobby dropped back a tad, so is that a option for JĆ¼rgen to accommodate Diaz, I dunno but for me the combinations are endless, using the five attacking forwards we now have we will for the most part always have fresh legs to call upon, so say we started with Mo, Mane & Bobby, we could end with Harvey, Jota & Diaz, having 5 subs would be a great advantage for us in this kind of scenario, young Kaide could also feature sometime down the line,

Would really love it now if we landed Bellingham, if we get him and one other with muscle we wonā€™t be far off having the complete squad and dare I say a pretty close match to those noisy neighbours over in Scumchester, not that weā€™re far off them now, tbh, letā€™s face it, on our day we can beat anyone , as we will soon prove again in Europe !!

Let the fun begin!!

Y  N  W  A

Excellent post - canā€™t believe I forgot about Thiago 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø🤦ā€ā™‚ļø
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #415: Feb 07, 2022 06:46:01 pm
      Itā€™s quite a headache JĆ¼rgen has created for himself isnā€™t it, Fabinho right now I agree has to start, Iā€™m not sure there is a better DM anywhere all across  Europe perhaps even globally

The Liverpool bias side of me agrees but if Iā€™m behind honest, I think Kante is probably fractionally ahead of him. As good as Fab is, he doesnā€™t have the consistency of Kante who just seems to perform at the same level every week. Heā€™s by far the Chavs best player IMO and has been for a number of years now.

Thatā€™s not taking anything away from Fab though, amazing player and I wouldnā€™t swap him for anyone because heā€™s so suited for us.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #416: Feb 07, 2022 06:52:38 pm
      The Liverpool bias side of me agrees but if Iā€™m behind honest, I think Kante is probably fractionally ahead of him. As good as Fab is, he doesnā€™t have the consistency of Kante who just seems to perform at the same level every week. Heā€™s by far the Chavs best player IMO and has been for a number of years now.

Thatā€™s not taking anything away from Fab though, amazing player and I wouldnā€™t swap him for anyone because heā€™s so suited for us.

Each to their own mate, Kante is indeed a exceptional talent but like you Iā€™d always have Fabinho, Iā€™d say Fab is more versatile as he proved last season, not so sure Kante could stand in as a CB ?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #417: Feb 07, 2022 06:55:53 pm

Each to their own mate, Kante is indeed a exceptional talent but like you Iā€™d always have Fabinho, Iā€™d say Fab is more versatile as he proved last season, not so sure Kante could stand in as a CB ?

No I agree, donā€™t think Kante could play CB or RB, thatā€™s why I think Fab is so suited to us because he has so much to his game. Just purely comparing them side by side as a DM Kante just edges it for me.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #418: Feb 07, 2022 08:23:25 pm
      Couldnā€™t disagree with you more. He started there against the Chavs and had a damn good game by all accounts. Some people almost seem desperate to convince others that Elliott isnā€™t a natural in that position or that he canā€™t play there long term and again I couldnā€™t disagree more. So far he has performed head and shoulders above Keita and Ox there and Iā€™d go as far to say heā€™s looked better than Hendo there this season too. Heā€™s taken to the position like a duck to water and I have no doubts heā€™d have been playing there week in week out, regardless of the opposition had it not been for the injury.

If weā€™d signed him in the summer for 40mill then some people would probably have a different view over his midfield role because then people would finally have the narrative of a replacement being signed for Gini sorted.

Disagree.

Harvey has played well and heā€™s a good little player but you and others are making out he has produced some sort of zidane type level performances when he hasnā€™t. Some are even suggesting he is to replace our captain, and Iā€™m not even hendersons biggest fan, but thatā€™s a ridiculous shout.

So if we were playing city away in the champions league semi final first leg you would happily start elliott in the midfield? Madness.

Iā€™ll be gobsmacked if klopp does that should we ever be in that situation and if it does ever happen, I guarantee we will be on these boards discussing the inexperience of Harvey and the naivety of klopp playing him there. It will be a disaster. Thatā€™s not criticism towards harvey in any way, he is a winger by trade, so the things that come natural to a centre mid wonā€™t with him and we will be exposed, particularly with his defensive duties.

You say itā€™s about spending 40m and mention gini. Itā€™s not. Itā€™s weā€™re playing a lightweight young inexperienced winger in our midfield. Iā€™m not saying he canā€™t hold his own because he certainly has the talent to do so, but Iā€™m saying mistakes will happen and it will cost us games at some point, where if we had a proper centre mid then those mistakes dont happen.

Also mate kante has been sh*te for quite a while now to the point he doesnā€™t get in the chelsea team. Fabinho shits on him.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,048 posts | 3431 
      Reply #419: Feb 07, 2022 08:46:10 pm
      Disagree.

Harvey has played well and heā€™s a good little player but you and others are making out he has produced some sort of zidane type level performances when he hasnā€™t. Some are even suggesting he is to replace our captain, and Iā€™m not even hendersons biggest fan, but thatā€™s a ridiculous shout.

So if we were playing city away in the champions league semi final first leg you would happily start elliott in the midfield? Madness.

Iā€™ll be gobsmacked if klopp does that should we ever be in that situation and if it does ever happen, I guarantee we will be on these boards discussing the inexperience of Harvey and the naivety of klopp playing him there. It will be a disaster. Thatā€™s not criticism towards harvey in any way, he is a winger by trade, so the things that come natural to a centre mid wonā€™t with him and we will be exposed, particularly with his defensive duties.

You say itā€™s about spending 40m and mention gini. Itā€™s not. Itā€™s weā€™re playing a lightweight young inexperienced winger in our midfield. Iā€™m not saying he canā€™t hold his own because he certainly has the talent to do so, but Iā€™m saying mistakes will happen and it will cost us games at some point, where if we had a proper centre mid then those mistakes dont happen.

Also mate kante has been sh*te for quite a while now to the point he doesnā€™t get in the chelsea team. Fabinho shits on him.

Maybe Klopp had more faith in him than you and appears to see a different player

I have no doubt that Klopp would have no issues playing him in a CL semi final - if he thought that was the best option for the game

In the second game of the season against Chelsea he started Elliot over - Ox , Thiago and Naby , in fact I think he started 3 out of the first 4 games we played

What if Klopp does see have playing exactly where he is and see him as the player to give the team that extra bit more creativity from the middle of the park.

Have you closed yourself off to the idea that Klopp sees him as the guy to replace Gini as opposed to buying someone - why does that seem such a wild idea ?

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #420: Feb 07, 2022 10:24:52 pm

Iā€™ll be gobsmacked if klopp does that should we ever be in that situation and if it does ever happen, I guarantee we will be on these boards discussing the inexperience of Harvey and the naivety of klopp playing him there. It will be a disaster.

Alexander Arnold at the age of 19. Played the Champions League QF's against Man City, SF's against Roma and the final against Real Madrid. So yes, I think there would be every chance Elliott would start.

where if we had a proper centre mid then those mistakes dont happen.

Well that's a load of bollocks because every single player makes mistakes that will either cost a game or a goal regardless of age, experience and position in the team.
      « Last Edit: Feb 07, 2022 10:53:54 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #421: Feb 07, 2022 11:03:08 pm
      Maybe Klopp had more faith in him than you and appears to see a different player

I have no doubt that Klopp would have no issues playing him in a CL semi final - if he thought that was the best option for the game

In the second game of the season against Chelsea he started Elliot over - Ox , Thiago and Naby , in fact I think he started 3 out of the first 4 games we played

What if Klopp does see have playing exactly where he is and see him as the player to give the team that extra bit more creativity from the middle of the park.

Have you closed yourself off to the idea that Klopp sees him as the guy to replace Gini as opposed to buying someone - why does that seem such a wild idea ?

Regarding your last sentence,  there is no replacing of Gini, Gini has come and gone, his ship has sailed, Harvey Elliot is Harvey Elliot and he will make his own history, I would doubt very much that JĆ¼rgen will see Harvey as anyoneā€™s replacement,
      For me the introduction of Harvey at the seasons start was to explore perhaps a new avenue of attack from the right, we seen how Trent could move infield with Harvey and Mo interactive as a triple entendre, it is my belief although I could be completely wrong that this was a effort to by pass low block teams, same as the left side with Robbo and Mane & with whoever played between, Thiago, Curtis, Ox, Naby etc and especially now Diaz has come to the party,

Donā€™t get me wrong, I loved Gini, he was awesome, but players come and go as you know, some real crackers too, Gini is no different, maybe just maybe JĆ¼rgen had a new plan, knowing he had Elliot coming back, hoping perhaps that Naby would finally kick on, and knew that new faces  like Diaz were on the horizon, maybe he has plans too for when eventually Milner, Hendo, Thiago and Ox run out of legs, and ribena,

Iā€™m liking the way JĆ¼rgen seems to be rebuilding in a way where there is very little disruption, he picks the best talents from the academy and has them playing early for them to gain experience and valued pitch time, and obviously training at the Axa with the seasoned proā€™s, he virtually hand picks the best talents from around the world and only those who fit the system he wants to use, reminds me of Sir Bob without the ruthlessness,

Makes you wonder why he would do all of this and not want to see the fruits of his labour !!

Y  N  W  A
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3919 
      Reply #422: Feb 07, 2022 11:03:18 pm
      Disagree.

Iā€™m a big fan of your posts mate but on this occasion Iā€™m going to disagree. Elliott is primed for the midfield 3 role and Klopp has big plans for him.

Feels like heā€™s not quick enough to be a winger and his technical ability, tactical awareness and vision slots him straight into midfield. I think heā€™s superb and he has an aura of confidence about him that makes him a little special.

I think he could be huge for us for years to come! Fingers crossed.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2109 
      Reply #423: Feb 07, 2022 11:20:23 pm
      Iā€™m a big fan of your posts mate but on this occasion Iā€™m going to disagree. Elliott is primed for the midfield 3 role and Klopp has big plans for him.

Feels like heā€™s not quick enough to be a winger and his technical ability, tactical awareness and vision slots him straight into midfield. I think heā€™s superb and he has an aura of confidence about him that makes him a little special.

I think he could be huge for us for years to come! Fingers crossed.

If you're good enough then you're old enough. And Elliott, even now, is more than good enough!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #424: Feb 08, 2022 05:26:59 am
      Alexander Arnold at the age of 19. Played the Champions League QF's against Man City, SF's against Roma and the final against Real Madrid. So yes, I think there would be every chance Elliott would start.

Well that's a load of bollocks because every single player makes mistakes that will either cost a game or a goal regardless of age, experience and position in the team.

Trent was brought through to the first team as a full back from the beginning. And who was the alternative? Clyne was it? An average player who was probably unfit.

Harvey was signed as a winger, his natural position. And who are the alternatives to him? Thiago fabinho and hendo.  They all start ahead of him in such a fixture and itā€™s madness youā€™re even encouraging it.

And obviously players make mistakes. But you know full well what I meant. Theres far less chance of mistakes occurring when you go into a game such as that with a game plan having a trusted, experienced centre mid rather than a young lad finding his way who is used to playing on the wing.

For the record I rate harvey elliott and I like him a lot. But he wonā€™t be playing in the middle three for liverpool for the rest of his career. I think itā€™s great he can adapt and he can be used as an option there, but he wonā€™t be there long term and we wonā€™t be having this conversation in 2 or 3 years.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #425: Feb 08, 2022 08:43:16 am
      Trent was brought through to the first team as a full back from the beginning. And who was the alternative? Clyne was it? An average player who was probably unfit.

Harvey was signed as a winger, his natural position. And who are the alternatives to him? Thiago fabinho and hendo.  They all start ahead of him in such a fixture and itā€™s madness youā€™re even encouraging it.

And obviously players make mistakes. But you know full well what I meant. Theres far less chance of mistakes occurring when you go into a game such as that with a game plan having a trusted, experienced centre mid rather than a young lad finding his way who is used to playing on the wing.

For the record I rate harvey elliott and I like him a lot. But he wonā€™t be playing in the middle three for liverpool for the rest of his career. I think itā€™s great he can adapt and he can be used as an option there, but he wonā€™t be there long term and we wonā€™t be having this conversation in 2 or 3 years.

Totally see your argument and we see where you are coming from. It's not unreasonable. But JĆ¼rgen rates him for now. So only time will tell...
      Me highlighted some of JĆ¼rgen's words in bold...

Losing Harvey Elliott was ā€œone of hardest momentsā€ in JĆ¼rgen Kloppā€™s career
      This Is Anfield  ā€¢  Liverpool FC News  ā€¢ 
      Losing Harvey Elliott was ā€œone of hardest momentsā€ in JĆ¼rgen Kloppā€™s career
      February 7, 2022
      Joanna Durkan

JĆ¼rgen Klopp conceded he was ā€œin a worse moodā€ than Harvey Elliott was following his injury back in September, saying the incident was one of the hardest to take in his career.

The manager showed his faith in Elliott at the start of the season, with the teenager duly repaying the trust in kind before his momentum was brought to a crashing halt.

A nasty ankle-fracture dislocation at Leeds back in September unfolded only a matter of meters away from Liverpoolā€™s bench, with the severity of the injury apparent immediately.

ā€œWe were all shockedā€ was the managerā€™s immediate reaction and now, 147 days later, after Elliott marked his return with his first goal for the club, Klopp admitted the moment of the injury was one of the ā€œhardestā€ in his career.

ā€œIt was very touching, to be honest,ā€ Klopp told beINSPORTS after Elliott scored in the 3-1 win against Cardiff.

ā€œIā€™ve known him for a while now and I know what an incredible talent he is and what a nice kid he is.

ā€œWhen we lost him in the Leeds game that was one of the hardest moments in my career. We could all see the situation, it was directly in front of us and then you are waiting.

ā€œYou see all the steps he makes during the period and then he comes back and has a situation like that.ā€

Itā€™s a credit to Elliottā€™s work ethic and mental fortitude that he is now firmly back in the mix for Kloppā€™s side, a trait that is not lost on his manager.

ā€œProbably his biggest talent is how ready he is mentally for all the stuff out there,ā€ Klopp said of the 18-year-old in his post-match press conference.

ā€œHe is a kid, yes, but on the pitch not so much. He was buzzing and he was waiting for this moment, we all were. That he could do it [on Sunday] is just really nice.

ā€œWhen he got the injury, the next day or two days later I saw him at the training ground and I was in a worse mood than he was.

ā€œIt was pretty much like, ā€˜come on boss, head-up, I will be back.ā€™ He is an exceptional talent in a lot of different departments.ā€

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/02/losing-harvey-elliott-was-one-of-hardest-moments-in-JĆ¼rgen-klopps-career/
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #426: Feb 09, 2022 09:20:47 pm
      Forgot to come in here and say get the F**k in!

Quick Reply