Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Inter?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      37 (43.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      25 (29.4%)
      Andy Robertson
      6 (7.1%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1.2%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      2 (2.4%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.2%)
      Diogo Jota
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (5.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (8.2%)
      Luis Diaz
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Voting closed: Feb 20, 2022 09:53:36 pm

Internazionale 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 14933 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2110 
      Re: Internazionale 0-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Feb 17, 2022 10:42:58 am
      Yea roll on big man we were a few decisive touches away at the start of second half from going behind multiple times. Changing out an entire midfield in one substitution is testament to that from Klopp who is never trigger happy when it comes to making subs.

Should have said we were poor for most of the game but got the first goal from a set piece at the right time and Inter couldn’t keep up with the intensity after it. No point pretending we played champagne football I am being level headed with my red tinted glasses off, chuffed with the win.

Yeah when you actually take time to look at the match stats you'll see that the team with more possession, more shots on goal and more shots on target was us. Also, I don't recall Ali having to bail us out with a save.

A match that contains excellent displays from the likes of Konate, VVD, Robbo, Hendo, Keita, Bobby with the usual dependable displays from Ali and Salah does not warrant the label of 'poor'. The only phase of play where we were outfought and outthought was the first 15 of the second half. Didn't wallow in the pressure or intensity of the atmosphere - we just kept going and got rewarded in the end. Not playing 'champagne football' does not equate to poor.

So yeah, roll on big man.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      « Last Edit: Feb 17, 2022 12:14:28 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #461: Feb 17, 2022 10:45:48 am
      Yeah when you actually take time to look at the match stats you'll see that the team with more possession, more shots on goal and more shots on target was us. Also, I don't recall Ali having to bail us out with a save.

A match that contains excellent displays from the likes of Konate, VVD, Robbo, Hendo, Keita, Bobby with the usual dependable displays from Ali and Salah does not warrant the label of 'poor'. The only phase of play where we were outfought and outthought was the first 15 of the second half. Not playing 'champagne football' does not equate to poor.

So yeah, roll on big man.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

pretty much sums it up.

Was a great game, they had their moments, closest they came to a goal was that great attempt that hit the bar.  Our defence was pretty cool most of the time, whereas they were sliding in with last ditch tackles to block shots. ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #462: Feb 17, 2022 10:49:17 am
      that's twice in a row we have watched different games now!

"He was very good" what the f**k??  He was in love with Vidal? Where was the red for his 2 feet up challenge? Where was a single yellow card for him? They should have finished with 10 men for sure and the HT whistle, are you kidding me?..Mo on his way, seconds left, knew we were on and blew his whistle. Did you not see Mo's reaction??

The HT whistle was so frustrating, salah was away. :(

And there was a tackle on salah that I seem to remember thinking, ffs thats a yellow, but ref played on.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #463: Feb 17, 2022 11:09:39 am

They hit the crossbar. How didn’t they have a shot on target?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      The cross bar and posts are outside of the goal perimeter you noggin. If it was ON TARGET it would have been a goal  :mad: :mad: :mad:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #464: Feb 17, 2022 11:20:25 am
      Hitting the frame of the goal and the keeper is on target in my book.

That’s the point mate. Only in your book, no one else’s 🤷‍♂️
      Keeper yes if he’s inside the goal perimeter, goal frame, no
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,128 posts | 83 
      Reply #465: Feb 17, 2022 11:50:23 am
      Concerning game. Inter was the better team and could have won 2-0 easily. We basically made 2 goals out of 2 shots on target. Remembers me of our loss back then at Barca (3-0) and we know how it turned out. So this is not over, Inter looks for real, therefore the concern. I do not wanna read too much into it though. Just move on.

Positive mention: Elliott. And he will only get better.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2110 
      Reply #466: Feb 17, 2022 12:17:05 pm
      pretty much sums it up.

Was a great game, they had their moments, closest they came to a goal was that great attempt that hit the bar.  Our defence was pretty cool most of the time, whereas they were sliding in with last ditch tackles to block shots. ;D

Like you say, it was just a fantastic game of football all round. Inter are well coached and with the buzz from the crowd they really went for it. They thrived off that energy but what was great was the way we accepted it and took the challenge on with relish. There was no shyness in us at all.

One of the best European matches I've seen us involved in.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #467: Feb 17, 2022 12:17:50 pm
      Concerning game. Inter was the better team and could have won 2-0 easily. We basically made 2 goals out of 2 shots on target. Remembers me of our loss back then at Barca (3-0) and we know how it turned out. So this is not over, Inter looks for real, therefore the concern. I do not wanna read too much into it though. Just move on.

How concerning can a game be where Inter had zero shots on target?

https://twitter.com/WhoScored/status/1494254042222141440?s=20&t=gt8HbeQzCyaEaNheon-0Kg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,128 posts | 83 
      Reply #468: Feb 17, 2022 12:27:29 pm
      How concerning can a game be where Inter had zero shots on target?

Because this stat is very deceiving. You can have bombing chances that hit the post or crossbar or miss it by millimeters and it won't show. Milan had a couple of such opportunities. They were the better team and the result flatters us but then you cannot always play 100%. We had problems but we stood our ground. I am OK with it. Sometimes you have to win dirty, sometimes you have to win lucky.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #469: Feb 17, 2022 12:47:13 pm

No hitting the post is off target definitely (it only can be on target if it bounds inwards.)
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #470: Feb 17, 2022 12:49:38 pm

Mate, we're playing at Anfield not at San Siro next leg which will make huge difference. I'm not saying its over but we are highly likely that we will obviously advance.

Onto next Saturday please, put more pressure on City and hopefully that Conte makes us a favour.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #471: Feb 17, 2022 01:14:10 pm
      Really pleased with Konate's contribution in this game
       Best he's looked for us.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #472: Feb 17, 2022 01:16:41 pm
      Like you say, it was just a fantastic game of football all round. Inter are well coached and with the buzz from the crowd they really went for it. They thrived off that energy but what was great was the way we accepted it and took the challenge on with relish. There was no shyness in us at all.

One of the best European matches I've seen us involved in.

defo.  :gt-happyup:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #473: Feb 17, 2022 01:17:25 pm

comedy rips right oot o u pal.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #474: Feb 17, 2022 01:21:49 pm
      That’s the point mate. Only in your book, no one else’s 🤷‍♂️
      Keeper yes if he’s inside the goal perimeter, goal frame, no

But the posts are what make up the target :)

IMO hitting the frame should be counted as on target.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #475: Feb 17, 2022 01:29:51 pm
      KLOPP IS CORRECT.

"After the game I couldn't care less but in the game we didn't finish situations often enough. Very often, their situations were offside. This really kills me. You can see it is offside but they let it run and then forget to raise the flag."
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #476: Feb 17, 2022 01:30:53 pm

I agree fyi. I mean some goals hit the post before going in, inside of post eg.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #477: Feb 17, 2022 01:49:44 pm

yes I agree strange. Crossbar\post must count as on target.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #478: Feb 17, 2022 02:04:47 pm
      Great result for us. Performance is what you expect away in Europe. Jittery at times but we still controlled it for most parts.

Thought the line up was spot on. Hendo has been dire recently and needed taking out and Jota has moved ahead of Bobby in pecking order too.

The only change I might have made was matip for konate but I don’t think joel is capable of playing twice a week anyway.

First half and it was pretty even in truth. They had a couple of decent half chances and maybe should have scored the one where they hit the bar. But we had a couple of decent chances ourselves and mane in particular should have buried that header.

Second half and for the first ten or fifteen minutes inter were on top and changes were needed. The subs all made an impact. Bobby and diaz changed the game and put them on the back foot but Hendo and naby also gave us a lot more control too.

Until the subs came on, I thought Trent stunk the place out but he had no cover from Harvey to be fair. I’ve said for a while that against top opposition harvey will be exposed as hes not a natural centre mid and I felt that was the case last night somewhat. A real talent for sure, but there’s some games he shouldn’t be playing.

We got the goals, we got the win, and we’ve given ourselves a huge chance of progressing into the quarters now. Superb.

A lot of credit needs to go to klopp for managing the game well and to the subs too. You don’t get anybody sulking for being dropped here, or any dick heads who cause problems and run off and talk to the media or ask their agent to make stories. Instead, you get players who come on and show what they can do to fight for their shirt and do everything to help the team.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #479: Feb 17, 2022 02:16:36 pm
      Great result for us. Performance is what you expect away in Europe. Jittery at times but we still controlled it for most parts.

Thought the line up was spot on. Hendo has been dire recently and needed taking out and Jota has moved ahead of Bobby in pecking order too.

The only change I might have made was matip for konate but I don’t think joel is capable of playing twice a week anyway.

First half and it was pretty even in truth. They had a couple of decent half chances and maybe should have scored the one where they hit the bar. But we had a couple of decent chances ourselves and mane in particular should have buried that header.

Second half and for the first ten or fifteen minutes inter were on top and changes were needed. The subs all made an impact. Bobby and diaz changed the game and put them on the back foot but Hendo and naby also gave us a lot more control too.

Until the subs came on, I thought Trent stunk the place out but he had no cover from Harvey to be fair. I’ve said for a while that against top opposition harvey will be exposed as hes not a natural centre mid and I felt that was the case last night somewhat. A real talent for sure, but there’s some games he shouldn’t be playing.

We got the goals, we got the win, and we’ve given ourselves a huge chance of progressing into the quarters now. Superb.

A lot of credit needs to go to klopp for managing the game well and to the subs too. You don’t get anybody sulking for being dropped here, or any dick heads who cause problems and run off and talk to the media or ask their agent to make stories. Instead, you get players who come on and show what they can do to fight for their shirt and do everything to help the team.

Agree with pretty much all of this. I was surprised to see Harvey on the team sheet, but he had performed well prior to win his place. As you said, worked out, he was a bit out of his depth. I also thought Matip would start, but with hindsight, Konate had a blinding game. MOTM for me, so was surprised, but happily so as it turned out. A good result, and a deserved win, because we put our chances away, and they didn't.
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #480: Feb 17, 2022 02:26:48 pm

Fair enough, if the keeper saves it, it’s on target, if it hits the frame of the goal, it’s not

Because if the keeper doesn’t save it, it goes in .. can’t be the same if it hits the post or bar can it

yes I agree strange. Crossbar\post must count as on target.

How?

If it hits the post it’s not a goal because it doesn’t go it, hence off target

Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #481: Feb 17, 2022 02:30:27 pm

That makes no sense

Only shots that can end up in the goal can be classed as in target surely
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #482: Feb 17, 2022 02:56:47 pm
      Decent summation from Jonathan Liew of The Guardian:

Jordan Henderson bounded on to the pitch clapping furiously, captain’s armband stretched over his biceps, with all the coiled energy of the five-a-side player who’s come straight from the office and had to run the last half-mile from the bus stop. Luis Díaz trotted on and immediately looked threatening. Naby Keïta grappled, pressed, plugged gaps. In the space of a few minutes Klopp had entirely transformed the feel of his Liverpool side: more grizzled, more skittish.

The simple conclusion to draw would be that Klopp’s substitutions won a game that was drifting away from Liverpool. In reality, it was a little more subtle than that. The bold and brave Inter continued to create plenty of problems for a good while afterwards. Roberto Firmino’s opening goal on 75 minutes – a classic near-post flicked header – might just as easily have been scored by Jota as well. And for all the changes in midfield and attack, it was really in defence – where Virgil van Dijk and Ibrahima Konaté were superb – that this game was won and lost.

Quick Reply