Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Russia

Read 5200 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Russia
      Mar 03, 2022 05:24:44 pm
      According to the BBC Russia have appealed to the court of arbitration against the ban imposed on them by FIFA, no doubt they will try and reinstate them looking at the record with how they dealt with City. How do you feel about the ban
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Russia
      Reply #1: Mar 03, 2022 06:03:32 pm
      Russia national teams should be banned from all sports

AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #2: Mar 03, 2022 06:09:29 pm
      If they are reinstated then everyone they go against should refuse to attend.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      Reply #3: Mar 03, 2022 06:40:26 pm
      Think that’s what will happen ignore the findings and just refuse to play them
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: Mar 03, 2022 06:53:40 pm
      Russian teams and competitors should be dumped out of any Sport/competition they are in imho.

Thats tough on people who in the main have done nothing wrong, but right now it looks like the only way this gets resolved is from within, so you have to find every single possible pressure point, and squeeze.

I'm working for a multinational, and we've been told that for Russia clients, everything stops. No further dealings as of a few days ago.

To be honest if companies started firing Russian employees, I'd probably support that too. Again, they are not responsible for what Putin is doing, but the World needs to show Russia, and Russians, that what is happening in Ukraine is unacceptable.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #5: Mar 03, 2022 08:07:56 pm
      Russian teams and competitors should be dumped out of any Sport/competition they are in imho.

Thats tough on people who in the main have done nothing wrong, but right now it looks like the only way this gets resolved is from within, so you have to find every single possible pressure point, and squeeze.

I'm working for a multinational, and we've been told that for Russia clients, everything stops. No further dealings as of a few days ago.

To be honest if companies started firing Russian employees, I'd probably support that too. Again, they are not responsible for what Putin is doing, but the World needs to show Russia, and Russians, that what is happening in Ukraine is unacceptable.

Totally agree, "Live by the sword, die by the sword"
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #6: Mar 04, 2022 02:52:39 pm
      It’s a shame sports people in general not just the ones with disabilities are getting penalised for the actions of their government, no matter how vocal they become against Putin he’s still going to to what he wants...
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #7: Mar 07, 2022 11:49:41 pm
      Quote from bmck

When I see posts like this, I instantly think how would British people feel, if this was how the rest of the world responded to countries the UK invaded. Ban this, cancel that, and cut the other.

99% of Russians don't want war in Ukraine, much like the rest of the world. Thousands of them have protested about it since, and many of them have woken up in a cell for doing so. It's not their fault the war is happening, so they shouldn't be left to suffer the consequences. You have to separate the political leadership from the general population. They can't be treated equally.

Putin doesn't care that Grand Prix get cancelled, that European finals get moved, and that oligarchs lose a yacht or two. He has made a decision about Ukraine, and nothing the West says or does is going to stop him. So sacking people because of their nationality and hitting them in the pocket is, as is usually the case in wars, going after the wrong, and most vulnerable target. It's not going to change the regime either.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #8: Mar 08, 2022 12:15:05 am
      If you are going to ban russia from sports then there are a lot of other nations out there who could do with banning as well.

Have fifa banned Afghanistan from playing? They are ruled by supposed tyrants. And Fifa are having a laugh. Hardly angels themselves. And sanctioned the next World Cup in a country where being gay can get you 7 years in jail.

China certainly are doing some dubious things right now but we are not banning them or boycotting businesses.

All we are doing is penalising and alienating an entire nation of people. A lot of these people demonstrated against the invasion in Moscow and were arrested.

Next up you will see signs by job vacancies stating “Russians need not apply.”
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      Reply #9: Mar 08, 2022 07:35:26 am
      When I see posts like this, I instantly think how would British people feel, if this was how the rest of the world responded to countries the UK invaded. Ban this, cancel that, and cut the other.

99% of Russians don't want war in Ukraine, much like the rest of the world. Thousands of them have protested about it since, and many of them have woken up in a cell for doing so. It's not their fault the war is happening, so they shouldn't be left to suffer the consequences. You have to separate the political leadership from the general population. They can't be treated equally.

Putin doesn't care that Grand Prix get cancelled, that European finals get moved, and that oligarchs lose a yacht or two. He has made a decision about Ukraine, and nothing the West says or does is going to stop him. So sacking people because of their nationality and hitting them in the pocket is, as is usually the case in wars, going after the wrong, and most vulnerable target. It's not going to change the regime either.

Agreed but how do we help the ordinary people to rise up most wont till things get so bad that they have to fight for change. Thats the reason the Ukrainians are fighting they have a taste for freedom and want to keep it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #10: Mar 08, 2022 01:24:35 pm
      Gotta be honest the applause thing last weekend didnt sit well with me. A country being bombed out of existence is nothing to be applauding.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #11: Mar 08, 2022 01:26:33 pm
      Gotta be honest the applause thing last weekend didnt sit well with me. A country being bombed out of existence is nothing to be applauding.

Same here. Call me old fashioned but the whole applause thing should be replaced by silence instead. Applause should be in commemoration/celebration of something. Seems very odd and verging on patronising doing the whole applause thing?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #12: Mar 08, 2022 03:23:58 pm
      Premier League have fu**ed off their Russian Tv partner - no prem games currently will be shown on Russian TV
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Mar 08, 2022 04:30:04 pm

You really think 99% of Russians don't want the war?
      Russia state media feed their country lies and propaganda.
      Many see through it, but a significant percentage do believe it/don't question it, many older people.
      A country is being levelled, it's people murdered, homes/villages/infra destroyed, millions forced to pack a bag and head for the borders.
      That's the context for any decision made. Loosing a job seems pretty mild in comparison.

Every single thing that can be done to heighten awareness of this within Russia, in my opinion needs to be done.
      If we [lets just say 'the West'] are not actually going to engage Russia on the ground in Ukraine, then everything short of that should be on the table.

It's a fu**ed up situation. At its simplest, Putin is a bully, and bullies understand one thing - force. The problem is the f**ker has miscalculated, must know it, but can't/won't back down, is starting to feel boxed in, and might in those circumstances make a really poor decision from which things escalate out of hand. I don't think 'we' will make that poor decision - but if an unstable Putin does make it, we will have to react in turn.

Balancing act. How to apply max pressure without going too far.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      Reply #14: Mar 08, 2022 06:06:29 pm
      It’s a shame sports people in general not just the ones with disabilities are getting penalised for the actions of their government, no matter how vocal they become against Putin he’s still going to to what he wants...

Doesn’t mean you have to hand it to him on a plate
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #15: Mar 08, 2022 07:19:13 pm
      Anything connected to the government (national teams etc) should be on the table for sanction; however, we don’t know how every single Russian citizen feels about this and it doesn’t feel right sanctioning them in any way that then causes them hardship. Only so much Russian citizens can do about Putin and it’s not likely to be enough to make him change his behavior.

UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #16: Mar 09, 2022 01:22:09 am
      When Anthony Joshua said “Show them where it hurts, abstain from spending your money in their shops and economies, and invest in black-owned businesses.” It didn’t sit right with me. He said it in 2020 when racial tensions were high and BLM protests were peacefully trashing cities around the world.
      It didn’t sit right with me because it’s not the racist folk you are hurting. But all white shop owners.

This sanctioning regarding Russia is the same. You are targeting the wrong people. People that have zero influence over the issues at hand are being penalised.

The western leaders need to get their act together. Stop applauding and waving Ukraine flags every time Zelensky makes a desperate plea. Stop turning your back every time the Russian diplomat speaks. It’s not a pantomime.

The west should either announce they are not interested in Ukraine or confirm they will defend them as an ally.

If you saw a big Indian chap attacking a young girl you would either run in and help or walk away (hopefully not). What you wouldn’t do is shout from across the road “That’s it! I’m not buying another Indian takeaway again! That’ll show you!”

The whole world will suffer financially because of the west sanctioning basically every living person to get at a bunch of billionaires who want to level a country.

Russia will sell its assets elsewhere. McDonald’s and Costa will be replaced.

If Ukraine disappears can the west say they did all they could to save them?
      They fired warning shots at our ships last year and often fly their planes over our skies (RAF has to be scrambled) and often sail their war ships or submarines in the English Channel.

I’m not saying I want war. But war right now feels more justified than Afghanistan or Iraq ever did.

lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #17: Mar 13, 2022 01:57:00 pm
      Quote from bmck
      You really think 99% of Russians don't want the war?
      Russia state media feed their country lies and propaganda.
      Many see through it, but a significant percentage do believe it/don't question it, many older people.

That's the context for any decision made. Loosing a job seems pretty mild in comparison.

Every single thing that can be done to heighten awareness of this within Russia, in my opinion needs to be done.

Balancing act. How to apply max pressure without going too far.

What has a Russian national with no ties to the Russian government or foreign policy, done that he should be sacked? What has a Russian footballer ever done to be kicked out of the World Cup/European Cup? All that's happened is you have robbed someone of his livelihood because of where he's from, not stopped Putin's war.

I've been to both countries, I've extensive contacts in both countries, I can read their alphabet, I've seen how they live their lives. The overwhelming majority of Russians don't want war, they just want what everyone else wants, the right to live a decent life in peace. Most of the soldiers sent to Ukraine didn't even get the choice. A lot of Russians have blood and cultural links to Ukraine and Ukrainians, so the conflict is akin to attacking their brothers and sisters. Unlike the Ukrainians, the Russians don't have an outlet, they can't speak out or protest as they know the consequences for doing so. That doesn't mean they support what's going on, and it shouldn't be seen as that. They're the silent victims of all this, they're getting hit far worse than the people who need to be and should be hit.

There are people to go after in this. Putin, Lavrov, United Russia, the generals, the military, the ambassadors, the oligarchs, their allies and their assets. Not the ordinary housewife in Novosibirsk, or the athlete who through no fault of his own, is a native of Omsk rather than Oxford. All those sanctions are being spun as a war against the Russian people, and it's going to take years to repair trust and relations with them after the war is over, in whatever way it ends.

The applause is just ticking a box, like taking the knee or the handshake. The reality is that many places in Ukraine have no power or internet atm, so they can't see any gestures at games and in any case, they have bigger things to worry about right now. I'm sure they would also rather more practical assistance in their struggle to come from their allies, than a round of applause.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #18: Mar 13, 2022 02:23:19 pm
      What has a Russian national with no ties to the Russian government or foreign policy, done that he should be sacked? What has a Russian footballer ever done to be kicked out of the World Cup/European Cup? All that's happened is you have robbed someone of his livelihood because of where he's from, not stopped Putin's war.

I've been to both countries, I've extensive contacts in both countries, I can read their alphabet, I've seen how they live their lives. The overwhelming majority of Russians don't want war, they just want what everyone else wants, the right to live a decent life in peace. Most of the soldiers sent to Ukraine didn't even get the choice. A lot of Russians have blood and cultural links to Ukraine and Ukrainians, so the conflict is akin to attacking their brothers and sisters. Unlike the Ukrainians, the Russians don't have an outlet, they can't speak out or protest as they know the consequences for doing so. That doesn't mean they support what's going on, and it shouldn't be seen as that. They're the silent victims of all this, they're getting hit far worse than the people who need to be and should be hit.

There are people to go after in this. Putin, Lavrov, United Russia, the generals, the military, the ambassadors, the oligarchs, their allies and their assets. Not the ordinary housewife in Novosibirsk, or the athlete who through no fault of his own, is a native of Omsk rather than Oxford. All those sanctions are being spun as a war against the Russian people, and it's going to take years to repair trust and relations with them after the war is over, in whatever way it ends.

The applause is just ticking a box, like taking the knee or the handshake. The reality is that many places in Ukraine have no power or internet atm, so they can't see any gestures at games and in any case, they have bigger things to worry about right now. I'm sure they would also rather more practical assistance in their struggle to come from their allies, than a round of applause.

Send all the arms the IRA used to be supplied by the Russians back in the day over to the Ukrainians. That might help!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19: Mar 13, 2022 07:39:03 pm
      Double Standards here, everyone quite rightfully condoning Putin and his actions but, where are the same protests against the Israeli’s for their vilification of Palestine, and that’s being going on for decades!!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      Reply #20: Mar 13, 2022 09:12:46 pm
      Same here. Call me old fashioned but the whole applause thing should be replaced by silence instead. Applause should be in commemoration/celebration of something. Seems very odd and verging on patronising doing the whole applause thing?

Because it’s beyond most people to hold or observe a minute’s silence
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #21: Mar 22, 2022 06:50:18 pm
      Quote from FL Red
      Anything connected to the government (national teams etc) should be on the table for sanction; however, we don’t know how every single Russian citizen feels about this and it doesn’t feel right sanctioning them in any way that then causes them hardship. Only so much Russian citizens can do about Putin and it’s not likely to be enough to make him change his behavior.

When we went to face Leeds last year in the middle of the Super League storm, our players and staff were attacked and insulted in the city, on the bus, in the dressing room, in the stands and on the pitch, by a combination of Leeds players, fans, and staff. A shirt was destroyed outside the stadium, and the team were also being threatened with expulsion from the league and Europe. At the next away game, our plans were disrupted again on the way to the venue, and the game had to be postponed. They had no say and nothing to do with the decisions taken by the ownership, but they were the ones who had to face the backlash, simply because they were the easiest targets.

It reminds me of what has been done to the Russian people since a tiny minority of their politicians decided they wanted Ukraine to be run as it used to be. As in Leeds, it's the easiest targets who have suffered the most, rather than the legitimate targets who have the power to make a difference.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #22: Mar 23, 2022 09:10:37 pm
      You couldn't make this up:

Russia among four candidates to host Euro 2028 and 2032

Russia is among the candidates to host the European Championship in either 2028 or 2032 despite being banned from international sport following the invasion of Ukraine, the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) announced after Wednesday’s deadline to declare an interest passed.

Russia and Turkey will go up against a joint bid by the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland for Euro 2028.

Russia and Turkey also declared their interest in hosting the 2032 edition, along with Italy.

UEFA will announce the host nations for both tournaments in September 2023.

Quick Reply