Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

What transfer hurt the most

Read 5776 times
      With Hope In My Heart
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,277 posts | 183 
      Re: What transfer hurt the most
      Reply #23: Mar 03, 2022 09:35:38 pm
      To be fair both notified the club in advance. Yes sad losing top players but the blow softened by the upfrontness

I still missed them! Started standing on the Kop in '78, they were both part of 'my team'.

Had I been going earlier, I think the loss of the Mighty Emlyn would have been a deeper wound. Should I have been blessed to have been born early enough to have seen the Keegan years from my spec, I'm sure, even though I'd have known he was leaving that his departure would have been the greatest hurt.

By the time Rush went, let alone Fowler, McManaman etc. I was older, more nuanced to loss and while I think my love of Liverpool has increased over the years, my idolisation of individual players has lessened.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,047 posts | 2099 
      Reply #24: Mar 03, 2022 09:54:50 pm
      Owen - that one hurt. My favourite player growing up and is gone weeks after Rafa taking over.

There have been plenty of transfers that have angered me. Rafa seemed to have a blind spot on some - Bellamy, Crouch, Keane. All sold when they had something to offer. Was it to reduce the wage bill? Possibly... but F**k me we could have done better than David N'Gog couldn't we?
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #25: Mar 03, 2022 10:37:53 pm
      Macca when he went to Madrid just because he was my favorite player when I was young.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #26: Mar 03, 2022 10:38:08 pm
      The loss of keegan was gonna hurt. The king arriving as his replacement didn’t seem adequate.
      Little did we know  😂
      Then Torres. The circumstances were hurtful. What a shame we couldn’t have kept him to play with Suarez !

I think mascherano was a bad loss. Best defensive mid of his era !
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #27: Mar 03, 2022 10:44:25 pm
      1. Keane to Spurs.
      2. Rush to Juventus.
      3. Aldridge to Sociedad.
      4. Suarez to Barcelona.

Traore to West Brom didn't quite make the list.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,047 posts | 2099 
      Reply #28: Mar 03, 2022 11:17:42 pm
      The loss of keegan was gonna hurt. The king arriving as his replacement didn’t seem adequate.
      Little did we know  😂
      Then Torres. The circumstances were hurtful. What a shame we couldn’t have kept him to play with Suarez !

Good shout on Mascherano. I was angry at him leaving that summer but looking back you don't blame him, not one bit.

Failure to qualify, Roy Hodgson enters the building along with a raft of some terrible players, club sliding towards administration... in hindsight it's remarkable that Torres didn't leave that summer as well.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,352 posts | 2819 
      Reply #29: Mar 03, 2022 11:34:39 pm
      Torres for sure. A massive kick in the teeth considering the lift we had from Kenny coming in a month before and also the fact that Torres was finding some form too before he left. Didn't help that Carroll was a complete flop either.

A lot of the others on the list had a degree of inevitability about them which made them a lot easier to take. That Torres one knocked me for six though - certainly don't have the same 'love' for any player after that (although that could just be a sign of getting older too!)

You got to wonder who the Fck thought Barry was a replacement for Xabi just shows the turmoil the club was in at that time .

Think people forget that Alonso was very average in the 2007-2008 season and Barry was one of the best midfielders around in the league at the time.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #30: Mar 04, 2022 12:20:43 am

Think people forget that Alonso was very average in the 2007-2008 season and Barry was one of the best midfielders around in the league at the time.
      As they say form is temporary and all that , never ever thought Barry was good enough to replace Xabi , that’s just my opinion ,
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #31: Mar 04, 2022 12:45:00 am
      Torres for sure. I was still a somewhat "new" fan and was naive enough to think Torres wouldn't ever leave.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #32: Mar 04, 2022 12:45:45 am
      Little did we know  😂

Torres was a tough one, but wondering how that would have worked, him playing with Suarez.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #33: Mar 04, 2022 12:14:10 pm
      Owen for me. I was about 12/13 at the time, was my favourite player at that point, along with Gerrard when I was a kid. I think during the pre-season that Rafa took over, despite there being talk about Owen going to Madrid, him and Cisse, unless I'm remembering wrong, were looking good and banging the goals. When Rafa came in and we had Cisse arrive, it felt like the club was going to push on another step but then when Owen was left on the bench in a CL qualifier so he wouldn't be cup tied, the reality hit that Owen was about to leave. Before he went to Newcastle and looked set to return, I was made up, but then he obviously didn't and things went completely downhill from there for him and any bond he once had with the supporters.

Hated Fowler leaving for Leeds but luckily he did end up coming back.

Torres, Suarez and Alonso weren't great but by that point, it was quite clear we weren't going to be able to keep our best players.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,234 posts | 2811 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #34: Mar 04, 2022 12:53:15 pm
      I do think age plays a part

When i was 8/9 Rushie went, just got on with it but was coming to an age where I could really appreciate what I was seeing, so Barnes and Beardsley plus Aldo meant Rush was z memory

Fowler and McManaman burst on the scene when I was hitting my teens, worship. Loved both. Stung when we lost Macca for nothing but I knew it highlighted where we were.....God I just couldnt understand, letting him go or him not being our first choice

But Torres......I was hitting 30, sat in a dentist chair getting a tooth pulled when it came on the radio we signed him, helped the tooth out a bit easier. What he brought from a football sense and then from the buzz in the ground, then to lose that because of shithousery off the pitch and to them cnuts of all teams was a blow too much

So a toss between Torres and God, we got God back so that probably edges Torres as the one that hurt most

Wasnt pleased with losing Xabi either by tge way but wasnt on him
      « Last Edit: Mar 04, 2022 08:06:13 pm by Brian78 »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #35: Mar 04, 2022 08:02:23 pm
      Owen - that one hurt. My favourite player growing up and is gone weeks after Rafa taking over.

There have been plenty of transfers that have angered me. Rafa seemed to have a blind spot on some - Bellamy, Crouch, Keane. All sold when they had something to offer. Was it to reduce the wage bill? Possibly... but F**k me we could have done better than David N'Gog couldn't we?

Hahahahahaha I wanted Keane sold after his miss in Madrid.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #36: Mar 04, 2022 08:08:25 pm
      Torres to Chelsea was a bad one.

I was numb to players leaving after that.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #37: Mar 04, 2022 08:31:26 pm
      Bit like.most others Nando was a huge blow adored the guy
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,016 posts | 524 
      Reply #38: Mar 06, 2022 10:20:34 pm
      Yeah Torres was bad. What a striker he was for us. Him and Suarez would have been something (also think we'd have had the Kenny years instead of Brendan years if Torres had played with Suarez).

Also, not actually a transfer, but I remember being gutted when Craig Johnston suddenly retired, at age 27. Apparently it was to look after his ill sister, so fair play to him, but nobody knew that at the time - it was baffling why he did it. (Also it happened in 1988, when I remembered it as about 5 years earlier.)
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #39: Mar 06, 2022 10:46:34 pm
      His armband proved he was a red…
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #40: Mar 07, 2022 01:30:15 am
      Macca hurt me a lot it was for free he was at the peak of his game.  Suarez really pissed me off the season before he left with the Arsenal 40m + 1 pound trying to desperately to move.   At the time he left wanted him out.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #41: Mar 07, 2022 11:35:15 am
      Tough but got to be between Julian Dicks and Paul Konchesky 😂
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #42: Mar 07, 2022 11:47:35 am
      For different reasons, Torres and Alonso.
      Two of my favourite modern LFC players.

Torres felt like the perfect player but playing through injury destroyed him.
      Probably the two I've chosen shows my age.
      Torres was the last player I felt affection towards and "The Bounce" was unmatched until Virgil's song.
      Alonso more because of the way it ended and I felt it marked the begin of the end of Rafa's squad.

A shame that Rafa's squad didn't get a chance to play together for years.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #43: Mar 07, 2022 02:07:50 pm
      Alonso more because of the way it ended and I felt it marked the begin of the end of Rafa's squad.

That final season Xabi was brilliant and the team never recovered from his departure. He always had that desire to return to Spain and play for Madrid, can't fault him for that, but the whole Gareth Barry thing to be his replacement stunk. It was a sign of things to come that as soon as we saw a quality player depart, the same level of player wasn't going to be signed. Aquilani wasn't the best of signings, very unlucky with injuries but he did have some decent games and did form a good understanding with Torres and Gerrard. But Alonso going was definately one of the departures that hurt us most.

People are including Torres in this and fair enough, but his departure seemed more of a sentimental disappointment rather than anything else because by that point his injuries were really starting to take hold and his performances had been on a downward slope for a while

Alonso and Suarez hit us hard though, it would be like if we suddenly lost Van Dijk.

Tough but got to be between Julian Dicks and Paul Konchesky 😂

You forgot Poulsen and Joe Cole.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #44: Mar 07, 2022 04:56:36 pm

Don't remind me!
      Loved him before he signed for us, and I had so much hope he would be amazing for us. He was... not.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #45: Mar 26, 2022 02:42:02 pm
      Fowler going was the worst for me. I was in my early 20s and he was my last true footballing hero. I remember being at work in tears ... the papers came in with the photo of him driving away from melwood for the last time. When he came back .... those tears returned but tears of joy.

Torres leaving was awful ... the last one I truly felt. But I still love Nando. Time heals. He was class while he was here ... hes a red to me and always will be.

As for others who left ... suarez gave me the most pleasure. The day that stain left was as happy a day for me as the 2 above were sad days.

Quick Reply