Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Handball Rule

Read 5672 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Handball Rule
      Mar 10, 2022 01:51:35 am
      I think this is something that needs to change.

Seeing defenders run with their hands behind their back is actually putting them at a disadvantage. Let alone embarrassing.

I don't think there was an issue with a plethora of handball issues plaguing the football world where fans and players alike were clamoring for a rule change. In fact, I think a lot of unwarranted handballs are being given an causing more confusion.

Am I the only one here?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Re: Handball Rule
      Reply #1: Mar 10, 2022 11:07:19 am
      I think this is something that needs to change.

Seeing defenders run with their hands behind their back is actually putting them at a disadvantage. Let alone embarrassing.

I don't think there was an issue with a plethora of handball issues plaguing the football world where fans and players alike were clamoring for a rule change. In fact, I think a lot of unwarranted handballs are being given an causing more confusion.

Am I the only one here?

The refs, VAR etc need to remember what constitutes ball to hand.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #2: Mar 10, 2022 02:17:50 pm
      The refs, VAR etc need to remember what constitutes ball to hand.

Far. But i feel like now we've all be taught that any time the ball strikes a hand it's worth a shout. The rule needs to be more clear ASAP. As it may ruin an entire season
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Mar 10, 2022 02:27:59 pm
      wear a long sleeve jersey right down past the hand and you cant handball it with the sleeve rule
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4: Mar 11, 2022 10:19:48 am
      The rules around handball could change, but lets face it, it won't make the slightest bit of difference. The standard of officiating in the Premier League over the last few seasons has been nothing short of a complete shambles. Right now I'd say the English officials are right up there with the worst. VAR was supposed to make the game better and make the job easier for the officials but all it's done is highlight just how bad they actually are. The inconsistencies are shocking. So we can change the handball rule, you could get rid of the handball rule entirely and they would still make a mess of it.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #5: Mar 08, 2023 03:32:49 pm
      That handball in the Dortmund Chelsea game was ridiculous. Defenders have to play with their hands behind their back now.
      I dont understand why the rule was changed and everything has to be literal now. That would not have been given 5-6 years ago.

Its not as if there was an outcry in football about handballs being not given. If anything they should be making rules around Diving.

Diving has had more of a negative affect on football than anything.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #6: Mar 08, 2023 04:12:22 pm
      That handball in the Dortmund Chelsea game was ridiculous. Defenders have to play with their hands behind their back now.
      I dont understand why the rule was changed and everything has to be literal now. That would not have been given 5-6 years ago.

Its not as if there was an outcry in football about handballs being not given. If anything they should be making rules around Diving.

Not sure what was worse the handball decision, or the decision to retake the penalty for player infringement when more Chelsea players than Dortmund had ran in to the box.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #7: Mar 08, 2023 07:37:55 pm
      The referee in the Chelsea game last night was absolutely correct in the retake due to encroachment by the Dortmund players.
      The real travesty was a penalty given in the first place, absolute joke really, A, what was the player supposed to do with his arm and B when you watch the replay his head was turned away from the attacker.
      They need to sort this rule once and for all along with the offside rule, we live in hope.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #8: Mar 09, 2023 09:03:45 pm
      It’s difficult to call. I used to be a referee once (was Stuart atwells assistant a few times) and I’ll tell you one incident that got me into trouble with one team once…

Was the last minute of a cup game… team red were winning and as team blue won a corner everyone went up for it except for one small defender who loitered near the half way line…
      Anyway the ball was cleared and the line defender watched it as it sailed down from the sky but misjudged the bounce. Panicking that a red striker was gaining on him he handled it and then groaned in frustration when he realised he was about to give away a free kick and probably be sent off….
      But I didn’t blow. Because in his frustration at handling the ball he volleyed the ball back into the sky….. but towards his own goal. I kept my whistle in my hand and watched as the ball bounced into his empty net and I so played the advantage and let the goal stand.

Anyway, the blue team all turned into Martin Keown and were bellowing in my face. Even more so when I decided that time was up and so blew the final whistle.

Ahh, good memories.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #9: Mar 13, 2023 08:46:59 pm
      Quote from PastorGeek

And it's been eliminated thanks to VAR. It still happens outside the box, but you won't get a penalty for that.

You can't fix the handball law. It's up to each individual ref to determine how much contact and context there is, to make a decision. But if the ball hits your hand, you are liable to concede a penalty, and once it's spotted as it is these days, you can't argue otherwise if it's given.

They did try to do something about it in 2019 with forwards, and it was applied consistently. But that was seen as too consistent, so the rule was adjusted again. Now it's up to what the ref thinks on the day, and some of them take a tougher line on it than others.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #10: Mar 14, 2023 05:14:26 pm
      I think something like if the ball is hit and the distance to the hand is, say, a metre or so (maybe 2) then it should be an indirect free kick, even if it’s in the area.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #11: Mar 14, 2023 05:34:16 pm
      And it's been eliminated thanks to VAR. It still happens outside the box, but you won't get a penalty for that.

You can't fix the handball law. It's up to each individual ref to determine how much contact and context there is, to make a decision. But if the ball hits your hand, you are liable to concede a penalty, and once it's spotted as it is these days, you can't argue otherwise if it's given.

They did try to do something about it in 2019 with forwards, and it was applied consistently. But that was seen as too consistent, so the rule was adjusted again. Now it's up to what the ref thinks on the day, and some of them take a tougher line on it than others.

Why can't you fix the handball law?

If that happened in 2018 that is not given as a penalty. And no one bats an eyelid. They've created this problem. Essentially now 'Ball to Hand' doesn't exist. If you are are running and your hands move with your stride like a normal person, it's considered hand ball.

But again. There wasn't a global footballing issue of handballs not being given. So I don't see why the change needed to happen.

Edit:

THIS was given as a penalty tonight.. COME ON??

https://twitter.com/musoniUTD/status/1635746693026140161
      « Last Edit: Mar 14, 2023 09:37:28 pm by PastorGeek »
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #12: Mar 23, 2023 11:38:48 pm
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #13: Mar 28, 2023 03:54:04 pm
      Quote from PastorGeek
      Why can't you fix the handball law?

If that happened in 2018 that is not given as a penalty. And no one bats an eyelid. They've created this problem. Essentially now 'Ball to Hand' doesn't exist. If you are are running and your hands move with your stride like a normal person, it's considered hand ball.

But again. There wasn't a global footballing issue of handballs not being given. So I don't see why the change needed to happen.

Handball has always been a topic of fierce debate. What is handball to somebody, is not handball to somebody else. Just take the WC final in 2018. Even now, nobody can all agree that the penalty given should have been or not. In the 2019 final in Madrid, even our fans argued that the penalty we got shouldn't have been given, even though it's a clear cut decision imo. It all depends on your tolerance of it, that varies from one person to another.

I liked the forwards rule. It was clear to everybody what would happen, if one of them handled the ball. Now it's back to interpretation. And debate.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #14: Apr 27, 2023 06:08:00 pm
      https://twitter.com/keviniomax/status/1651373627604889600?s=46

People are legit arguing that this should have been a handball.

Everyone might as well play with their hands behind their backs now.

Makes zero sense.

Embarrassing.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #15: Apr 27, 2023 06:12:37 pm
      https://twitter.com/keviniomax/status/1651373627604889600?s=46

People are legit arguing that this should have been a handball.

Everyone might as well play with their hands behind their backs now.

Makes zero sense.

Embarrassing.

All down to the individual on the day, that’s why it’s always subjective.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: Apr 27, 2023 07:52:27 pm
      If Managers came out honestly about decisions rather than say they didnt see it then they may get a bit more slack but Moyes is just a habitual screamer which he didnt do when Souceck handled the ball whilst sitting on the ground. It will all work itself out over a season oh wait isnt that why they brought in VAR.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #17: Apr 28, 2023 11:20:16 am
      If Managers came out honestly about decisions rather than say they didnt see it then they may get a bit more slack but Moyes is just a habitual screamer which he didnt do when Souceck handled the ball whilst sitting on the ground. It will all work itself out over a season oh wait isnt that why they brought in VAR.

Agree, but I’d also like to see officials come out and be interviewed same as managers are, then quizzed by journo’s asking stupid f***in questions designed deliberately to trip them up, we need more clarity of certain rules, which are subjective, we need to have referees miked up so that the comms between him and the VAR can be heard by all, remove the ignorance, remove the confusion and allow everyone to be involved with the process involving controversies,

Everyone will have a better understanding, even if a decision goes against, at least a explanation of events would help alleviate anger & confusion, we have all the technology to help officials, players,managers, and crowds to enjoy the game without all the F**k ups we’re seeing every week, but it can be so so much better, just apply some common sense, Simples !!

YNWA
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #18: May 14, 2023 07:55:18 pm
      SHOCKING handball given against West Ham today.

Ball bounced off the post and hit Mubama on the hand. Makes not sense to give it. Ref even reviewed it on VAR. INSANE.

Premier League refs are as bad as WWE refs at this point.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #19: May 20, 2023 12:00:01 am
      His hands were in the air when the ball hit it. That's a penalty if it's a defender, and a free kick if not. So the free kick was given when the ref saw the incident.

Quote from billythered
      Agree, but I’d also like to see officials come out and be interviewed same as managers are, then quizzed by journo’s asking stupid f***in questions designed deliberately to trip them up, we need more clarity of certain rules, which are subjective, we need to have referees miked up so that the comms between him and the VAR can be heard by all, remove the ignorance, remove the confusion and allow everyone to be involved with the process involving controversies,

Everyone will have a better understanding, even if a decision goes against, at least a explanation of events would help alleviate anger & confusion, we have all the technology to help officials, players,managers, and crowds to enjoy the game without all the F**k ups we’re seeing every week, but it can be so so much better, just apply some common sense, Simples !!

YNWA

Common sense is not a rule, it's not part of the rules. The rules are what they are, be they good bad or neither, and the rules are applied as they stand.

It would be great to have audio communication, but in practice it doesn't help much. If an explanation is given, people say it's meaningless. If an explanation is not given, people say the refs are corrupt. It's a no win situation for them.

Cricket is often held up as a model for football officials to follow. The obvious difference is that most cricket umpires are former players, whereas football referees are not. No player upon his retirement, says he wants to get into refereeing afterwards. Probably because of all the reaction that current referees get, and they wouldn't be able to cope with anything less than adulation.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #20: May 30, 2023 09:18:00 pm
      His hands were in the air when the ball hit it. That's a penalty if it's a defender, and a free kick if not. So the free kick was given when the ref saw the incident.

Common sense is not a rule, it's not part of the rules. The rules are what they are, be they good bad or neither, and the rules are applied as they stand.

It would be great to have audio communication, but in practice it doesn't help much. If an explanation is given, people say it's meaningless. If an explanation is not given, people say the refs are corrupt. It's a no win situation for them.

Cricket is often held up as a model for football officials to follow. The obvious difference is that most cricket umpires are former players, whereas football referees are not. No player upon his retirement, says he wants to get into refereeing afterwards. Probably because of all the reaction that current referees get, and they wouldn't be able to cope with anything less than adulation.

They could do it like Rugby, that VAR system seems to work well and people seem to trust the process more. I think the Premier League's use of VAR is very very poor at this point. It should still just be marketed as experimental as it trails far far behind even the American Football system of instant replay and that system has it's warts as well.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #21: Jun 03, 2023 05:13:04 pm
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #22: Jun 03, 2023 05:45:54 pm
      Remember playing football when we where school kids, we always used to shout ball to hands, when no deliberate hand ball was intended. Common sense prevailed in those days !

Quick Reply