Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Car Thread

Read 7590 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      The Car Thread
      Mar 14, 2022 01:09:41 pm
      I think Covid has addled  my brain and boredom has had me spending far too much time on the internet looking at Cars.
      That's bad enough but I have changed cars 3 times in the last 12 months.
      I do little miles these days so I have had Jaguar's for a number of years . Last Feb I had a XKR but house arrest/lockdown had me spending time convincing myself I need a V8 F Type so off I went to Swindon to do the hand over. I loved that Car but it made me drive like a lunatic so having had a clean license since 1983 it had to go and I changed it for a petrol F Pace far more subdued and my driving improved accordingly.
      What I have noticed is just how crazy dealer prices are and despite the oncoming recession and people not having disposable income they are still asking top prices.
      In 6 months time how many of these dealers are going to be left with a forecourt full of vastly overpriced Cars.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: The Car Thread
      Reply #1: Mar 14, 2022 04:21:52 pm
      I think Covid has addled  my brain and boredom has had me spending far too much time on the internet looking at Cars.
      That's bad enough but I have changed cars 3 times in the last 12 months.
      I do little miles these days so I have had Jaguar's for a number of years . Last Feb I had a XKR but house arrest/lockdown had me spending time convincing myself I need a V8 F Type so off I went to Swindon to do the hand over. I loved that Car but it made me drive like a lunatic so having had a clean license since 1983 it had to go and I changed it for a petrol F Pace far more subdued and my driving improved accordingly.
      What I have noticed is just how crazy dealer prices are and despite the oncoming recession and people not having disposable income they are still asking top prices.
      In 6 months time how many of these dealers are going to be left with a forecourt full of vastly overpriced Cars.

V8 a beast of a car, wish I could afford one.  ;D Is it true second hand cars have gone up in price? ( donā€™t know much about cars ) due to new cars waiting for chips? My son who lives in Middleton been on the waiting list over 8 months for a new (company car ) BMW
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: Mar 14, 2022 05:11:13 pm
      V8 a beast of a car, wish I could afford one.  ;D Is it true second hand cars have gone up in price? ( donā€™t know much about cars ) due to new cars waiting for chips? My son who lives in Middleton been on the waiting list over 8 months for a new (company car ) BMW

as much as 30% increase meaning some newer second hand cars are worth more than the New equivalent. House prices just have to fall significantly when a 2 bed Terrace home is described as investment opportunity or first time home is advertised for Ā£260k something is terribly wrong.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #3: Mar 14, 2022 05:42:58 pm
      Used car prices were bonkers not too long ago but have cooled down. New car prices are more stable but it's harder to get discounts below MSRP and dealers are asking huge "market adjustments" for "niche" cars. Ford Bronco for example, just got released recently and have heard of ridiculous markups.

Vroom and Carvana have been disruptors in the used car market with on the spot offers and not having to go to the dealer and haggle. I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler 4-dr and a few months ago vroom was offering me $7K more than what i paid for it 2 years and almost 30K miles earlier. That has since cooled off and the last offer i received (i like to check periodically for the heck of it) was $13K lower than the one referenced above.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #4: Mar 14, 2022 06:12:10 pm
      Second hand car prices are crazy, I bought my 520d off my company for Ā£18,000 and looking at the same spec 3 months later I could get Ā£21000 for it 😳
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5: Mar 14, 2022 06:13:18 pm
      Got my 1st company car in december.

brand new Kia Niro Hybrid. loving it.

Last 3 cars were old bangers, so this is a big change for me. ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #6: Mar 14, 2022 06:59:28 pm
      Second hand car prices are crazy, I bought my 520d off my company for Ā£18,000 and looking at the same spec 3 months later I could get Ā£21000 for it 😳

Same way over here. The thing I can't wrap my head around though....why are people paying over price for used cars when they could just buy a new model off the lot for less markup (at least over here).
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7: Mar 14, 2022 08:50:34 pm
      they are still fetching 30% more than 12 or 18 months ago. When I bought my F Pace the last August the dealer had an empty forecourt he just couldnt get the Cars he wanted. I specifically follow Jag prices and they are just off the charts at present.
      Got my 1st company car in december.

brand new Kia Niro Hybrid. loving it.

Last 3 cars were old bangers, so this is a big change for me. ;D

cherish it mate I had Company Cars for decades and when you go back to having to finance your own its not fun
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #8: Mar 15, 2022 07:29:16 am
      they are still fetching 30% more than 12 or 18 months ago. When I bought my F Pace the last August the dealer had an empty forecourt he just couldnt get the Cars he wanted. I specifically follow Jag prices and they are just off the charts at present.
      cherish it mate I had Company Cars for decades and when you go back to having to finance your own its not fun

its superb so far. All paid for and I only have Ā£7 tax or something every month.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #9: Mar 15, 2022 07:58:04 am
      its superb so far. All paid for and I only have Ā£7 tax or something every month.

Christ Ā£7  :o Think mines over Ā£400  :f_doh:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #10: Mar 15, 2022 08:39:50 am
      Christ Ā£7  :o Think mines over Ā£400  :f_doh:

Its great. Hybrid way forward.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #11: Mar 15, 2022 10:48:31 pm
      I dont think I will ever own a hybrid or Elec Car by choice and now with the cost of power . Whilst I still can I will go for premium petrol cars Jags mainly and as I do no more than about 3k miles a year fuel isnt a problem or at least it wasnt when it was   around Ā£5 or Ā£6 a gallon. Interesting a barrel of oil is less than $100 now but the prices at the pump remain high
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #12: Mar 16, 2022 01:20:57 pm
      I love how people want to push everyone to electric cars whilst ignoring the fact that

1) most of them are still pretty expensive
      2) the electricity that is being used to charge those cars is still likely coming from fossil fuel power plants (at least over here in the states)

If people really want to be "green", hydrogen powered cars are the way to go.

I will say there's part of me that would love never having to visit a gas station and just plugging in the car each night, but I think they are still only practical for daily driving to and from work and not for people that tend to take a lot of out of town trips.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #13: Mar 17, 2022 12:41:56 am
      I love how people want to push everyone to electric cars whilst ignoring the fact that

1) most of them are still pretty expensive
      2) the electricity that is being used to charge those cars is still likely coming from fossil fuel power plants (at least over here in the states)

If people really want to be "green", hydrogen powered cars are the way to go.

I will say there's part of me that would love never having to visit a gas station and just plugging in the car each night, but I think they are still only practical for daily driving to and from work and not for people that tend to take a lot of out of town trips.

Yea, like you I like the idea of plugging in overnight and never having to visit the petrol station but EV definitely aren't the 'green' solution they are made out to be.

Maybe better than diesel and petrol but still the energy is coming from fossil fuels as you say.

For me I'm not putting money into brand new cars at the moment and will wait to see if anything comes along like hydrogen to better EV's.

Lately I've been buying older cars I've always quite fancied owning but were too expensive at the time and for me is a way of being environmentally friendly as no energy is used to build another new car.

Bought an E92 BMW 3 Series Coupe a few weeks back with full leather interior, service history etc and loving driving it at the moment.
      « Last Edit: Mar 17, 2022 01:34:35 am by srslfc »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #14: Mar 17, 2022 08:27:58 am
      if public transport was cleaner and more efficient and affordable people would use it more.
      Tax for Cars should be on fuel only the more miles you do the more tax you pay. Paying Ā£600 a year Road tax for doing 2,000 miles is just stupid when someone paying Ā£30 a year can do 50,000 miles a year sadly the Car is a cash cow for Government.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15: Mar 17, 2022 10:34:32 pm
      Got an Audi SQ5, has a fuel pump leak which is apparently a common thing with them. Also given me a nice smell of fuel in the car.

Not going to cost me anything to get it fixed but itā€™s just an inconvenience I donā€™t need.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: Mar 18, 2022 09:34:04 pm
      I am tempted to email some of these dealers and ask them if they having a laugh with their prices.
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #17: Mar 19, 2022 10:12:28 am
      Anyone recommend the Kia Sportage?.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #19: Mar 19, 2022 03:10:27 pm
      I've got Vauxhall Corsa VXR, it's fast and nippy just like me  :D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #20: Mar 19, 2022 03:43:01 pm

Kia are making some really good looking cars lately. Iā€™m still struggling to get past the ā€œeconomyā€ reputation the brand has (at least over here) though but that Telluride and that Stinger and the new K5 are really sharp.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #21: Mar 21, 2022 10:31:54 pm
      Noticed a few adverts with "reduced price" showing also a few Houses now being reduced.  FOrd have just put a Patent on a Hydrogen fueled engine ... about time too
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #22: Mar 23, 2022 10:43:16 pm
      Kia are making some really good looking cars lately. Iā€™m still struggling to get past the ā€œeconomyā€ reputation the brand has (at least over here) though but that Telluride and that Stinger and the new K5 are really sharp.

The problem with Kia is depreciation is steep. I looked the Stinger as it looked good and had great performance but the resale values are killers.
      IT does get really good reviews though.

Quick Reply