Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Car Thread

Read 7596 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: The Car Thread
      Reply #24: Mar 24, 2022 02:22:10 pm
      The problem with Kia is depreciation is steep. I looked the Stinger as it looked good and had great performance but the resale values are killers.
      IT does get really good reviews though.

The Stinger is a great looking car.

Best way around depreciation is not buy new with a Kia.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #25: Mar 24, 2022 02:37:13 pm
      The Stinger is a great looking car.

Best way around depreciation is not buy new with a Kia.

True. I was checking out one of their mid size SUVs the other day on the website, Sorrento maybe? Anyway...the top end model was north of 46k (USD). I was like...for a KIA? I mean I'm buying Mercedes or Volvo for that kind of money. Like someone once said about Genesis (Hyundai's luxury brand)...it's a great looking car, really nice but you are still taking it to a Hyundai dealer when you take it in for service.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #26: Apr 04, 2022 09:50:11 pm
      Noticed house prices are now being reduced but Car Dealers still living in cloud cuckoo land. With the cost of living rising faster  than anyone can remember they will end up with a Car lot of over priced Cars nobody can afford dumber than a piece of pie.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #27: Jun 25, 2022 11:22:15 pm
      Can anyone recommend a good hybrid coupé?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #28: Jul 04, 2022 10:02:17 am
      Can anyone recommend a good hybrid coupé?

My company car is a Kia Niro Hybrid. loving it.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #29: Nov 08, 2022 04:41:45 pm
      Broke down yesterday on way home from work , aa guy put it on computer and said it was the dpf clogged up had a quote off fords today £2000  all it is atm is paying out 🙈
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #30: Jan 24, 2023 06:02:26 pm
      My oldest got rid of his Mini...it was starting to become a real money pit. Replaced with a Jetta GLI. It's a 6sp manual transmission so I had to give him a crash course (no pun intended) driving stick the day before he had to drive 5 hours back to University. That was almost a month ago, sounds like he's got the hang of it now and he actually said he doesn't think he would ever want an automatic again. I told him he's coming along at the wrong time because I think manual transmissions are on life support at this point...everything is heading towards automatic.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #31: Jan 24, 2023 08:12:36 pm
      My oldest got rid of his Mini...it was starting to become a real money pit. Replaced with a Jetta GLI. It's a 6sp manual transmission so I had to give him a crash course (no pun intended) driving stick the day before he had to drive 5 hours back to University. That was almost a month ago, sounds like he's got the hang of it now and he actually said he doesn't think he would ever want an automatic again. I told him he's coming along at the wrong time because I think manual transmissions are on life support at this point...everything is heading towards automatic.

But isn't manual transmissions almost an alien concept to you guys over there in the States?

Here manual is still the most popular and only starting to slow down a bit with hybrids etc have auto boxes.

CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #32: Jan 24, 2023 08:25:04 pm
      But isn't manual transmissions almost an alien concept to you guys over there in the States?

Here manual is still the most popular and only starting to slow down a bit with hybrids etc have auto boxes.

The new car offerings with manual transmissions go down every year, as does the # of people who drive it with the younger generation(s) lazier and lazier. Harder to sip on that $7 latte if you have to shift gears. Manual transmissions are candidly known as a "anti-theft device".

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2023 08:50:12 pm by CT_LFC »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #33: Jan 24, 2023 08:44:06 pm

I'd say now they are an alien concept, but when I was growing up and even in the last decade, they were still fairly prevalent, mostly on sportier cars though. I don't think I've ever bought a car that was going to be mine (not shared with my wife or kids) that wasn't a manual transmission. I had a Chevy S-10 Blazer, 2 Chevy Camaro Z-28's, two Chevrolet Cavaliers, a Jeep Wrangler, a Saab 9-5 and a Corvette all with manual trannies.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #34: Jan 24, 2023 09:05:58 pm
      The new car offerings with manual transmissions go down every year, as does the # of people who drive it with the younger generation(s) lazier and lazier. Harder to sip on that $7 latte if you have to shift gears. Manual transmissions are candidly known as a "anti-theft device".

Interesting. I haven't bought a 'new' car in ages, always go second hand so bit out of touch on that one.

My Dad had bought three over the last number of years and still goes for a manual
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #35: Jan 24, 2023 09:22:38 pm
      Interesting. I haven't bought a 'new' car in ages, always go second hand so bit out of touch on that one.

My Dad had bought three over the last number of years and still goes for a manual

The only reason i know of the decrease in manuals in new cars is from car articles i read. New cars are so unbelievable expensive nowadays that i don't see how it makes sense to buy new. The last time i bought a new car was 2019 when i bought my current Jeep Wrangler, but that was a factory order at a sweet 13% off MSRP. Did buy it with auto transmission so the wife could enjoy it. Probably the last new one either I or wife will buy in the foreseeable future. We got her a 2019 SUV last summer and bought extended warranty on it so she's covered for 7 more years on it.

Love manual transmissions, though. My "toy" is a 2004 BMW 330i which is in 6spd.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #36: Jan 24, 2023 11:45:16 pm
      I never buy new, am considering new for my next car though. Hoping Toyota comes out with a new 4Runner in a couple years and I’ll likely go for one of those for my wife. Love the new Sequoia but just can’t afford it. Have to save up for my Corvette E-Ray 😂
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #37: Jan 25, 2023 12:47:41 am
      I've always had cars with manual transmissions. When I was growing up the idea of driving an automatic was very strange indeed. They were either for sh*t drivers, your mother-in-law who couldn't pass her test in a normal car or the very real housewives of the leafy suburbs (who still clog up our roads with their expensive cars which they struggle to drive.) Disclaimer: no prejudice intended but some stereotypes do turn out to be true.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #38: Jan 25, 2023 01:55:23 pm
      I have had my 520d for 5 years now from new and doubt I would ever go back to manual.
      Besides with the move to electric it’s auto any way.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #39: Jan 31, 2023 11:35:36 am
      Company Car, Kia Niro Hybrid. Been brilliant, get 35miles on a full leckie charge, so ideal for local driving, and been very efficient on longer drive with petrol, as leckie kicks in when going slow.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #40: Jan 31, 2023 01:19:42 pm
      Company Car, Kia Niro Hybrid. Been brilliant, get 35miles on a full leckie charge, so ideal for local driving, and been very efficient on longer drive with petrol, as leckie kicks in when going slow.

I misread the Hybrid part and took me a few mins to wonder why you were so pleased with 35 miles on a full charge. :D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #41: Jan 31, 2023 01:21:38 pm
      I misread the Hybrid part and took me a few mins to wonder why you were so pleased with 35 miles on a full charge. :D

l o l

Quick Reply