Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

The Title Run-In

Read 4716 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      The Title Run-In
      Mar 17, 2022 07:21:09 am
      One point behind with nine games left to play! I'm quite the eternal optimist when it comes to the reds and never conceded the title this season, but even I would have thought you were mental if you told me we'd be in this position back in January

Just thought it would be good if we had a thread to discuss all things relating to the title run in, as opposed to sporadic exchanges in the post / pre matches and the Premier League / Man City threads. Sure the players will be taking it one game at a time but we can dream in here!
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Re: The Title Run-In
      Reply #1: Mar 17, 2022 07:29:30 am
      I had written us off when we were 12 points off (I think it was 12 points) and to see us back there just shows once again you should never doubt Jürgen and the boys.

We’ve got all the momentum right now and really turning the screw. My one worry is when I look at the fixture lists I think City’s run in is a lot easier but if the boys are taking it one game at a time then that shouldn’t come into it too much.

Think I still need to learn to trust this team instead of wondering about what could go wrong, last night was another massive game and we just treated it like it was routine, which is what you need to deal with the pressure.

So desperate for us to win this league and have a proper celebration because our title win didn’t really feel fulfilling to me without that climax after 30 years. Can’t wait!
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #2: Mar 17, 2022 07:53:32 am
      We can dream. The title is entirely in our hands. Win all remaining games and we win the title.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Mar 17, 2022 08:53:27 am
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #4: Mar 17, 2022 09:11:05 am
      We can dream. The title is entirely in our hands. Win all remaining games and we win the title.

That is exactly how we should all be thinking this morning and beyond, it’s a simple equation isn’t it but obviously much harder to accomplish, we have to assume now that Pep G will focus his players to do exactly the same thing, they still remain one point ahead, we have Watford to play 2nd of April,(early KO), City have Burnley (a) and will be two points behind, before they KO,

Then it’s the big one, probably the title decider but with a huge Q mark, a game where before last night was a must win, now it’s a must not lose,(we won’t) and that’s a hell of a difference, because now it’s City who absolutely have to win, so the pressure is still on them massively, probably even more than it was trying to remain ahead, and having failed,

It has been proven yet again that City do not handle pressure very well, now I don’t know whether that’s down to complacency on their part but to have thrown away a 14 point lead in the hardest of leagues is pretty damn poor from a team considered the best in the world(their not), I’ve said this before I’ll say it again, City are without doubt a brilliant team, no question, no, I’ll rephrase that, their a brilliant side, not team, we are a team, because we play as a team, City do not,

It is the only explanation I can think of as to why City, with all their billions habitually bottle it when it comes down to getting over the line, they fall at the last hurdle unless they are in a unassailable position, but as soon as pressure is applied, they more often than not F**k it up,

and at this moment in time look like their doing it yet again, they may have a side full of big stars and fancy Dans, ego’s swelling their dressing room, but they don’t have that team spirit, that togetherness you need to win at all costs something we have in abundance and that is the difference between us becoming Champions and them as bridesmaids.

There will be six games after we meet, it is entirely possible they could regain their one point advantage, it’s also entirely possible we could be 5 ahead or three, and if you factor in that we are the Monsters of mentality it’s probable that Red ribbons rather than sky blue will be on the EPL trophy in May !!

Y  N  W A

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1631 
      Reply #5: Mar 17, 2022 09:43:22 am
      Coutinho to bang one in for the Villa last game of the season Stevies team do us a favour , and let’s have a party eh sounds like a winner to me 💥
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Mar 17, 2022 10:36:39 am
      Our 9 games are tougher, no doubt.

But city are as or more likely to drop points than we.

For me it comes down to beating them in the face off
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #7: Mar 17, 2022 11:16:11 am
      I’m still in the camp of city to win it, I’ve had my hopes up and dashed so many times before.

However this team just feels incredible at the moment, the energy and confidence is absolutely astonishing.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #8: Mar 17, 2022 12:34:22 pm
      I think it's a commonly held opinion now but our squad is probably the best it's ever been under Klopp, including the year we walked the league. We have more depth all over the park, especially in the key areas up front. If the front three who start don't do the job, we've got Jota, Diaz or whoever (Bobby & Salah last night) to bring on and change the game. If you look at that 98/97 point season everyone said there will be more twists and turns and all that, expecting both teams to drop more points, but both were unbelievably consistent and just kept reeling off wins. It's perfectly possible that happens again, and our increased depth should help us achieve that.

Going to be quite some ride to the end! Reckon it'll come down to the last day, maybe a point or two in it and two 90+ point totals yet again.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #9: Mar 17, 2022 12:52:27 pm
      I’m still in the camp of city to win it, I’ve had my hopes up and dashed so many times before.

However this team just feels incredible at the moment, the energy and confidence is absolutely astonishing.

Yet, you don’t believe we we can overcome City ? Your in the wrong camp mate, we’ve all had our hopes dashed in the past LR but re the doubters into believers quote, surely you can’t still be in the doubters camp, not after what Jürgen has made us believe and achieved?

Y  N  W  A
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #10: Mar 17, 2022 12:55:19 pm

Yet, you don’t believe we we can overcome City ? Your in the wrong camp mate, we’ve all had our hopes dashed in the past LR but re the doubters into believers quote, surely you can’t still be in the doubters camp, not after what Jürgen has made us believe and achieved?

Y  N  W  A

It's LondonRed, the eternal pessimist. He's the "see it to believe it" type.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #11: Mar 17, 2022 12:55:34 pm

Don’t let your self defence mechanism ruin our fantastic journey en route to the title. Even if we fail to win, it’s still a damn bloody good run. How many of such exciting seasons do we have. Enjoy the moment while we still can. It’s not as if the more negative we get, the more power we have to determine the outcome. Sit back, support the lads and enjoy. Your nerves and worry have no bearing on the final outcome. Unless you’re physically supporting at Anfield.
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #12: Mar 17, 2022 12:59:11 pm
      You still rather be in City's seat than ours, since we have to win every match to win and they don't.

Regardless of what happens, super excited to see this to the end. Going to be an exhilarating ride.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      Reply #13: Mar 17, 2022 01:52:41 pm
      City games

Home games: Liverpool (10 Apr), Brighton (20 Apr), Watford (23 Apr), Newcastle (7 May), Aston Villa (22 May)

Away games: Burnley (2 Apr), Wolves (17 Apr), Leeds (30 Apr), West Ham (15 may)

My prediction 11 points at home  10 points away, 21 total

Us..

Home games: Watford (2 Apr), Manchester United (19 Apr), Everton (24 Apr), Tottenham (7 May), Wolves (22 May)

Away games: Manchester City (Apr 10), Aston Villa (Apr 16), Newcastle (Apr 30), Southampton (May 15)

My prediction 13 points home, 10 points away. 23 total

We win by 1
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #14: Mar 17, 2022 02:26:29 pm
      Cant understand why anyone doesn’t believe this team is capable of winning the title this season...

We are in the driving seat, this team has shown over past 4 seasons what it’s capable of & how we perform under intense pressure, our next 9 games as difficult as they may be will prove once again how formidable Klopp has made us.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      Reply #15: Mar 17, 2022 02:49:42 pm
      The quarter final draw could have an impact

For example one side having Benfica and the other Bayern could make that 1% difference that will swing this

another factor would be fa cup. Semi finals would see another game rescheduled..We would need city to reach the last 4 as well, they should but you never know, that way we both have games rescheduled

Finally, international break, need everyone back fully fit
      « Last Edit: Mar 17, 2022 03:09:42 pm by Brian78 »
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #16: Mar 17, 2022 03:07:53 pm
      Cant understand why anyone doesn’t believe this team is capable of winning the title this season...

We are in the driving seat, this team has shown over past 4 seasons what it’s capable of & how we perform under intense pressure, our next 9 games as difficult as they may be will prove once again how formidable Klopp has made us.

Did you believe in December when you were crying about lack of squad depth and losing Salah and Mane to AFCON in January?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #17: Mar 17, 2022 03:44:31 pm
      Imagine going into the City game by beating Watford and them only drawing or losing to Burnley and then losing to us at home they would just implode.  After listening to Merton last night I am even more desperate to win this to shut up all those Pep worshippers than man who has spent more money than any other manager in the game
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #18: Mar 17, 2022 03:45:19 pm
      Did you believe in December when you were crying about lack of squad depth and losing Salah and Mane to AFCON in January?

So, is it your plan today to comb the forum and do your usual ‘told you so’ nonsense? Calling specific people out?
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #19: Mar 17, 2022 03:52:50 pm
      So, is it your plan today to comb the forum and do your usual ‘told you so’ nonsense? Calling specific people out?

It is hugely hypocritical of him to come out and say he "can't understand why anyone doesn't believe this team can win" as if he believed all along when he himself was one of the biggest critics of this team and one of the key people spamming the board with his criticism.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #20: Mar 17, 2022 04:18:57 pm

Huh...? Can you please post the post in which I’m allegedly in tears of the lack of squad depth...?

I’ve called out FSG for not supporting the manager in a crucial month, if that’s crying then I can’t help you...

& yes I believed...🖕🏼

It is hugely hypocritical of him to come out and say he "can't understand why anyone doesn't believe this team can win" as if he believed all along when he himself was one of the biggest critics of this team and one of the key people spamming the board with his criticism.

Post it ....
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,219 posts | 1221 
      Reply #21: Mar 17, 2022 04:25:19 pm
      It's a minor miracle we are this close to City after being so far behind so I am just delighted we are even in with half a chance. The turnaround has been incredible.

As it was so unexpected, I am just enjoying the fact that we are perched over their shoulder with all the pressure now on City. They have the advantage still and the easier fixtures. They will also have the explaining to do if it doesn't go to plan. We just give it everything and see where we stand.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #22: Mar 17, 2022 04:36:40 pm

Human being in change of mood/way of thinking shocker.

Quick Reply