Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

The Title Run-In

Read 4715 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: The Title Run-In
      Reply #23: Mar 17, 2022 05:06:30 pm
      Even if we fail to win, itā€™s still a damn bloody good run. How many of such exciting seasons do we have. Enjoy the moment while we still can. Itā€™s not as if the more negative we get, the more power we have to determine the outcome. Sit back, support the lads and enjoy.

Couldn't have put it better. The 13/14 season ended in disappointment for us but that period from around January to late April were some of the best and most exciting times I've had supporting the reds.

We all watch football & spend time talking about it on this forum because it gives us enjoyment. Let's enjoy the ride the best we can
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #24: Mar 17, 2022 05:11:50 pm

It has been proven yet again that City do not handle pressure very well

but as soon as pressure is applied, they more often than not f**k it up,
      I don't think this is true Billy. 

They chased Utd down from behind a number of years ago to pip them on the final day.
      They won 14 on the spin to deny us (winning 9 on the spin!)on the final day in 18-19 & came from behind to pip us in 2013-14. 

So, they've prevailed in every tight race to the title they've been involved in over the last 10 or so years.

We need to buck that trend to beat them to it this season!
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #25: Mar 17, 2022 05:17:29 pm
      ESPN FC posted on FB that from the start of the 2018-19 season we have 334 points and City 335.

Amazing.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,063 posts | 2110 
      Reply #26: Mar 17, 2022 05:27:40 pm
      I don't think this is true Billy. 

They chased Utd down from behind a number of years ago to pip them on the final day.
      They won 14 on the spin to deny us (winning 9 on the spin!)on the final day in 18-19 & came from behind to pip us in 2013-14. 

So, they've prevailed in every tight race to the title they've been involved in over the last 10 or so years.

We need to buck that trend to beat them to it this season!

Well... there's always a first for everything!
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #27: Mar 17, 2022 06:28:14 pm
      We have the harder run in I reckon going to be interesting,  could GD be the deciding factor ?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #28: Mar 17, 2022 08:11:55 pm
      Watch Burnley nick a point from them.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #29: Mar 17, 2022 08:36:19 pm
      We have the harder run in I reckon going to be interesting,  could GD be the deciding factor ?

Definitely have the harder run in after looking at it just now.

Goal difference rarely becomes a factor if I'm right.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,063 posts | 2110 
      Reply #30: Mar 17, 2022 09:08:14 pm
      Donā€™t let your self defence mechanism ruin our fantastic journey en route to the title. Even if we fail to win, itā€™s still a damn bloody good run. How many of such exciting seasons do we have. Enjoy the moment while we still can. Itā€™s not as if the more negative we get, the more power we have to determine the outcome. Sit back, support the lads and enjoy. Your nerves and worry have no bearing on the final outcome. Unless youā€™re physically supporting at Anfield.

This is so true and I'm glad you reminded me of that!

I've been very much like LondonRed where I don't get my hopes up and I go into every game with an almost fatalist mindset or rather easing myself into acceptance of things not going as you wish for the fear of experiencing crushing disappointment. It is admittedly, a slightly draining way to live life!

Thing is, back in 2013-2014, I didn't do that. The shackles were off and I just totally went with it 'We're going to win the league'... 'Poetry in motion tra la la la la'. It was probably the most hedonistic I've been in supporting Liverpool. And then Gerrard's slip happened and I was crushed. But that's what football and life's all about - you take the euphoric highs with the crushing lows. It just makes it so much more fun taking that guard down. And I'm going to try and remember that over the next few weeks. Just go with it!
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #31: Mar 17, 2022 09:45:29 pm
      Yep, this is the best time to be a Liverpool fan in thirty years. As stressful as it is to compete with Pep's City we should also take the time to simply enjoy how good we are. Our football and our chances of winning major trophies is almost sure to take a dip when Klopp leaves, whether that's in 24 or later, so lets live in the moment. This might be a weird analogy (I've had a few ) but it's like a gorgeous supermodel worrying that she looks fat if she's an ounce over her usual weight, or her left earlobe is slightly less than symmetrical. We're gorgeous now, but it doesn't last forever.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #32: Mar 17, 2022 09:47:53 pm

I've been very much like LondonRed where I don't get my hopes up and I go into every game with an almost fatalist mindset or rather easing myself into acceptance of things not going as you wish for the fear of experiencing crushing disappointment. It is admittedly, a slightly draining way to live life!

Thing is, back in 2013-2014, I didn't do that. The shackles were off and I just totally went with it 'We're going to win the league'... 'Poetry in motion tra la la la la'. It was probably the most hedonistic I've been in supporting Liverpool. And then Gerrard's slip happened and I was crushed. But that's what football and life's all about - you take the euphoric highs with the crushing lows. It just makes it so much more fun taking that guard down. And I'm going to try and remember that over the next few weeks. Just go with it!

Good summary mate
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #33: Mar 18, 2022 09:03:11 pm
      Like one, that on a lonesome road
      Doth walk in fear and dread
      And having once turned round
      walks on,
      And turns no more his head,
      Because he knew, a frightful
      fiend
      Doth close behind him tread.

We have the momentum and we are piling on the pressure. Who will blink first? Pep will cause it won't be us
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #34: Mar 18, 2022 09:39:14 pm
      Yep, this is the best time to be a Liverpool fan in thirty years. As stressful as it is to compete with Pep's City we should also take the time to simply enjoy how good we are.

It actually wouldn't be as enjoyable if we didn't have strong competition. And that competition definitely brings out the best of both teams.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #35: Mar 18, 2022 09:42:02 pm
      Yep, this is the best time to be a Liverpool fan in thirty years. As stressful as it is to compete with Pep's City we should also take the time to simply enjoy how good we are. Our football and our chances of winning major trophies is almost sure to take a dip when Klopp leaves, whether that's in 24 or later, so lets live in the moment. This might be a weird analogy (I've had a few ) but it's like a gorgeous supermodel worrying that she looks fat if she's an ounce over her usual weight, or her left earlobe is slightly less than symmetrical. We're gorgeous now, but it doesn't last forever.

2004 -2008 was pretty exciting and Torres and Gerrard where off the scale but I dont see any weakness in this team/squad its a proper winning machine nobody want to jinx it but just enjoy these next few months its going to be epic
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #36: Mar 18, 2022 10:00:32 pm
      Losing Trent is a massive blow. Hoping he can be back for the city game.
      For once the international break could come in handy.

As for fixtures, it looks like we have the harder remaining games...but Man City have a lot of potential banana skins as well.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6386 
      Reply #37: Mar 19, 2022 03:03:30 am
      So, is it your plan today to comb the forum and do your usual ā€˜told you soā€™ nonsense? Calling specific people out?

Not just his plan today, believe thatā€™s his plan everyday. At least he didnā€™t call you a ā€œnetspenderā€. That one really cuts a man deep.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,345 posts | 1531 
      Reply #38: Mar 19, 2022 07:43:22 am
      We do have a tougher run in than city, but Iā€™ve always felt that we will do it, even when we were 12 behind.
      Canā€™t see any reason to change my mind now 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø

Bring it home Red Men 😊
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #39: Mar 19, 2022 09:43:52 am

The thing is this. We're in a very different position today from 2013-2014. Back then we were desperate for the league. Expectations were sky high and we were utterly devastated.

Today, that monkey's off our backs and we have already bagged a couple of major trophies, plus we could bag over 95 points over more than one season. A much better position. We can therefore afford not to be so hard on ourselves. Let's learn to enjoy the journey. If it isn't now, it's never.

Remember the heimy spirit that was possessing us sometime back? When we lose, we're poor - sure. Even when we win we're imperfect. We constantly need better players. There's no room to lose possession. Even letting the opponent have the ball is unacceptable, let alone they have a shot at our goal. What's the point of being a fan then if you're never entertained and happy about the football? Me thinks the spirit was happy seeing all of us upset - that's no longer football but emotional torture.

So just enjoy the journey. We can afford it. Otherwise we end up being a grumpy fan.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #40: Mar 19, 2022 10:56:31 am

It certainly could. If we were to beat them at their place and then draw one of our other games whilst they win all of their games (except with us) we would be equal on points with GD or goals scored deciding the title. Imagine that!!!
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #41: Mar 19, 2022 01:53:15 pm
      It certainly could. If we were to beat them at their place and then draw one of our other games whilst they win all of their games (except with us) we would be equal on points with GD or goals scored deciding the title. Imagine that!!!

Great! Time to crank up posts like - 1-0 wins are not good enough. They have to be 4-0 or better. 2-0 would feel inadequate. ;D ;D ;D
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #42: Mar 19, 2022 01:56:04 pm

Agree . Wouldn't rule out that scenario not sure if the old ticker would survive
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #43: Mar 19, 2022 01:57:18 pm
      Agree . Wouldn't rule out that scenario not sure if the old ticker would survive

Then let's hope we win all our game so that we wouldn't go there.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #44: Mar 19, 2022 03:54:40 pm
      Iā€™m actually glad we have the tougher run in, it will keep us focussed, even if it is hell for all you jelly bellies, Iā€™d rather have it tough than succumb to possible complacency if it were too easy, when have we ever done things easy in the recent past, being dragged through the mill has become the norm for us, I guess thatā€™s bad news for all you lightweights out there, have fun !! 🤩 😁

Y  N  W  A
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #45: Mar 19, 2022 05:38:11 pm
      The average league position for our remaining games are 11th for home and 8th for away.

For city itā€™s 12th at home and 11th away.

But we do have an extra home game compared to them (they have one more away than us) although one of our away fixtures is at their ground...

Villa away and Southampton away are the tricky ones for us I feel.

Quick Reply