Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Champions League Draw

Read 5025 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Re: Champions League Draw
      Reply #23: Mar 18, 2022 12:59:53 pm
      https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1504800728346411011

Nice rest before the City league game (although they play CL on the same days as us so no advantage).
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #24: Mar 18, 2022 01:38:21 pm
      Tough tie in the midst of a massive workload but extremely winnable.

On we go.

CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #25: Mar 18, 2022 01:49:38 pm
      Tough tie in the midst of a massive workload but extremely winnable.

On we go.

Wait, what? tough tie? it is the easiest tie we could have possibly had.

Theyre 3rd in the Portuguese league which is not a strong league. The 2 teams ahead of them in the standings, Porto and Sporting, either we or City have beat handily without much of an effort.

Can't sleepwalk through it, obviously, but the stars shined on us when this draw was made.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #26: Mar 18, 2022 01:55:39 pm
      Best possible draw.. even the semis..
      I would have wanted us to avoid the English teams at all costs
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #27: Mar 18, 2022 01:57:38 pm
      Dunno if we could have hand picked that draw any better, avoided all the so called big sides, tongue in cheek, and I’m betting those same sides said thank F**k we didn’t draw Liverpool, Benfica will be absolutely f***in gutted, although they won’t be easy to get passed, if all goes well we can look forward to a semi with Bayern M and a completely different kettle of jobbies right there,

But we’ve been there, done that and worn the T shirt so I’m fairly comfortable facing Lewandowski and his wee mates again, over two legs I’d take us every time, with our without the red tints, slightly arrogant may be but so f***in what, I think we’ve earned it, without getting too far up my own arse, I think we have a very very good chance of reaching Paris, and in a one off winner takes all 95 min final, again I’d favour us, absolutely!!

“It’s coming home it’s coming home, Big ears coming home”

Y  N  W  A
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #28: Mar 18, 2022 02:02:28 pm
      Should we go through, it's better to face Bayern over two legs.
      We really can't complain.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #29: Mar 18, 2022 02:08:44 pm

I’m fairly comfortable facing Lewandowski and his wee mates again                                                                       

Always been pretty sceptical about Lewandowski. No doubt he's a top player but he's been plying his playing a league which would probably rank only 5th or even 6th in Europe in terms of quality. Remember he barely had a sniff against us in the two games when we last met in 2019.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #30: Mar 18, 2022 02:10:16 pm
      Always been pretty sceptical about Lewandowski. No doubt he's a top player but he's been plying his playing a league which would probably rank only 5th or even 6th in Europe in terms of quality. Remember he barely had a sniff against us in the two games when we last met in 2019.

Lost a bit of Zip and relies heavily on others but give him a sniff and he doesn't pass up many opportunities
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #31: Mar 18, 2022 02:13:26 pm
      Wait, what? tough tie? it is the easiest tie we could have possibly had.

Theyre 3rd in the Portuguese league which is not a strong league. The 2 teams ahead of them in the standings, Porto and Sporting, either we or City have beat handily without much of an effort.

Can't sleepwalk through it, obviously, but the stars shined on us when this draw was made.

It's the European Cup QF......in the midst of an extremely high quality title fight and an FA Cup campaign.

It's tough because they aren't sh*t - we need to win the tie.

Are we massive favourites? Yeah

Does that get us a semi final place? No

Is it the best we could've had? I think that's a toss up with Villareal, Atletico and them but I'd probably have plumped for them.

Still a tough match against a good team that needs winning. I'd make it a pick 'em between them, Leicester and West Ham - both of whom have beat us.

So, in summary, yes maybe the best we could've got but it's still a tough tie.

CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #32: Mar 18, 2022 02:14:50 pm

Have to disagree with that.

They do have a monopoly on the Bundesliga, but as a league they're probably 3rd behind England and Spain. No way it's worse than Seria A or Ligue 1 and anything below that is just not high quality.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #33: Mar 18, 2022 02:39:26 pm
      A tricky one that for City too, the sort of team that will frustrate them…
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34: Mar 18, 2022 03:22:49 pm
      you can almost smell it the lads will be licking their lips at the possibilities. Bayern away has a ring to it doesnt it.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #35: Mar 18, 2022 05:44:11 pm
      Is it the best we could've had? I think that's a toss up with Villareal, Atletico and them but I'd probably have plumped for them.
      Atletico would have been one of the last on my list. Horrible team to play. Fancy them to do a job on City.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #36: Mar 18, 2022 05:53:03 pm

We beat Porto a combined 7-1 and City beat Sporting a combined 5-0. They aren't "sh*t" but they're not good either. Easily the best draw we could have had, as i much rather face them than either Atletico or Villarreal. Never trust those Spanish teams and their antics. Ever. Especially Atletico who are the masters of it. Bunch of theatrical dirty cu*ts.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #37: Mar 18, 2022 05:58:56 pm
      Atletico would have been one of the last on my list. Horrible team to play. Fancy them to do a job on City.

Yea i think Atletico can out-c**t City and give them a hard time and favors us for our game against them.

Imagine Atletico get a favorable result at the Etihad, then Pep's going to have the 2nd leg in the back of his head when they play us and could make a tactical or squad change that costs him. If there's anyone who can out think himself is Pep.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #38: Mar 18, 2022 06:13:19 pm
      It's the European Cup QF......in the midst of an extremely high quality title fight and an FA Cup campaign.

Still a tough match against a good team that needs winning. I'd make it a pick 'em between them, Leicester and West Ham - both of whom have beat us.

So, in summary, yes maybe the best we could've got but it's still a tough tie.

100% my friend, still the best draw we could have got, and city getting Atletico, nice
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #39: Mar 18, 2022 06:23:54 pm
      AM are pretty sh*te watched them 4 times wasn't impressed once the old AM might trouble City, this team won't
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #40: Mar 18, 2022 06:34:12 pm
      Have to disagree with that.

They do have a monopoly on the Bundesliga, but as a league they're probably 3rd behind England and Spain. No way it's worse than Seria A or Ligue 1 and anything below that is just not high quality.

Think the Bundesliga has been surviving on its' past reputation for a good few years now. Ligue 1 gets laughed at and referred to it as a "farmers league", but there's been a lot of players in that division recently who have been signed by top teams for big money and I'm talking out players who don't play for PSG. It seems to have had a far better conveyer belt of footballers in recent years than the Bundesliga has had, which is why I think pound for pound it's been the better league in terms of quality.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #41: Mar 18, 2022 06:39:13 pm
      Get past Benfice then do Bayern in the Allianz again. Sound.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #42: Mar 18, 2022 06:49:41 pm
      AM are pretty sh*te watched them 4 times wasn't impressed once the old AM might trouble City, this team won't

To be fair to Atletico, they've hardly ever been impressive. They play and win dirty and that's how they could throw City off.

If Atletico were to sneak out a draw at the Etihad the pressure on Pep would be immense facing a 2nd leg in Madrid and know in a matter of days he could lose the league lead and be out of the CL.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #43: Mar 18, 2022 07:13:08 pm
      AM are exactly the team City did not want because it will be a war of two styles and dont be surprised to see City get players sent off.
      Spurs did a job counter attacking City and AM will do the same. Some good games to look forward to
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #44: Mar 18, 2022 07:33:39 pm
      We beat Porto a combined 7-1 and City beat Sporting a combined 5-0. They aren't "sh*t" but they're not good either. Easily the best draw we could have had, as i much rather face them than either Atletico or Villarreal. Never trust those Spanish teams and their antics. Ever. Especially Atletico who are the masters of it. Bunch of theatrical dirty cu*ts.

Arguing with yourself dude.

We don't get to the semis without winning a 2 leg tie against a team that'd be top 8 in the prem.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #45: Mar 18, 2022 08:58:25 pm
      Not a bad draw but I remember them knocking us out when we were champions league holders....

Take nothing for granted.

Quick Reply