Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Champions League Draw

Read 5032 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Champions League Draw
      Reply #46: Mar 19, 2022 07:45:24 am
      Not a bad draw but I remember them knocking us out when we were champions league holders....

Take nothing for granted.

THIS !

All these sides have reached this far because they’re decent. There’s no easy games now.

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #47: Mar 19, 2022 08:04:34 am
      Not a bad draw but I remember them knocking us out when we were champions league holders....

Funnily enough, Luisao who scored the late header at their place to put them 1-0 up in the first leg is now the technical director and was Benfica's representative at the draw yesterday
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #48: Mar 19, 2022 09:32:16 am
      Atletico would have been one of the last on my list. Horrible team to play. Fancy them to do a job on City.

Couple years ago maybe mate.....don't see it myself now.

Hope all well.

Al
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #49: Mar 19, 2022 11:51:40 am
      Best draw we could have asked for, surprised City didn’t end up with it!

Hopefully all goes well and Madrid beat the chavs and Atletico beat City.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #50: Mar 19, 2022 12:51:54 pm

Always reckon Momo's bad eye injury proper unsettled us in the first leg of that tie. Brilliant goal over Reina to knock us out like.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #51: Mar 19, 2022 01:03:37 pm
      Always reckon Momo's bad eye injury proper unsettled us in the first leg of that tie. Brilliant goal over Reina to knock us out like.
      Fck whatever happened to Momo
      Seemed a bad injury at that time and like you said proper unsettled us .
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #52: Mar 19, 2022 01:13:07 pm
      Fck whatever happened to Momo
      Seemed a bad injury at that time and like you said proper unsettled us .

Played for Juve after us and moved onto Chinese League and other Asian leagues until fully retiring in 2020. Don't think he ever matched his level that he was playing at for us and became very much a squad player for other teams.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #53: Mar 19, 2022 01:22:27 pm
      So, 1981..1-0 win at Paris after defeating Bayern in the semis..

Oh! The dream..
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #54: Mar 19, 2022 01:55:55 pm
      Me afraid of Bayern. But Shitty has Athletico Madrid, which is much worse. :lmao:
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #55: Mar 20, 2022 12:34:22 pm
      Me afraid of Bayern. But Shitty has Athletico Madrid, which is much worse. :lmao:

I think City will coast past Atletico. They're nowhere near as robust as they once were and they just about managed to get past United, who are absolutely woeful. I reckon if City get the first goal then the tie will be essentially over. Hope I'm wrong, like!
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #56: Mar 20, 2022 12:57:28 pm

I used to like the momo chant.
      He would be ace in a klopp team.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #57: Mar 20, 2022 02:05:40 pm
      Just thinking then how many times were we linked with the lad who scored past for Benfica at home. Simao!!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #58: Mar 20, 2022 02:18:35 pm
      Just thinking then how many times were we linked with the lad who scored past for Benfica at home. Simao!!

Bit us on the arse a few times him! Scored in that game as you mentioned, then moved on to Atletico & if I remember rightly, bagged a late equaliser against us in the Champions League a couple of years later. Sure he set up Forlan's goal when they knocked us the Europa League in 2010 too
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #59: Mar 20, 2022 02:38:16 pm
      Bit us on the arse a few times him! Scored in that game as you mentioned, then moved on to Atletico & if I remember rightly, bagged a late equaliser against us in the Champions League a couple of years later. Sure he set up Forlan's goal when they knocked us the Europa League in 2010 too

F***ing hell good shout, literally forgot about that.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #60: Mar 22, 2022 08:30:51 pm
      Quote from billythered
      Dunno if we could have hand picked that draw any better, avoided all the so called big sides, tongue in cheek, and I’m betting those same sides said thank F**k we didn’t draw Liverpool, Benfica will be absolutely f***in gutted, although they won’t be easy to get passed, if all goes well we can look forward to a semi with Bayern M and a completely different kettle of jobbies right there,

But we’ve been there, done that and worn the T shirt so I’m fairly comfortable facing Lewandowski and his wee mates again, over two legs I’d take us every time, with our without the red tints, slightly arrogant may be but so f***in what, I think we’ve earned it, without getting too far up my own arse, I think we have a very very good chance of reaching Paris, and in a one off winner takes all 95 min final, again I’d favour us, absolutely!!

“It’s coming home it’s coming home, Big ears coming home.
                                            Y  N  W  A

Talking about finals already. Whatever happened to the "one game at a time" approach?

We could have had worse draws, but Benfica beat Barcelona to second spot in the Bayern group, so they're not mugs. I remember the reaction when we got them in the second round draw in 2006, much the same as now. Then the games were played. It was during the Rafa era, and we had Peter Crouch unable to kick snow off a rope home or away, so that was the end of that. Gerrard went to the quarter final draw 2 days later to "hand back" the trophy we won "for keeps" the year before. Or so they said.

We're still favourites to go through this time, but apparantly they're the Portuguese Atletico, so this tie still has to be won. We'll tackle the rest if/when the time comes.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #61: Mar 25, 2022 03:07:07 pm
      Nice draw brilliant to avoid the other english teams.

Would be nice if the russian cockerney dogs and the manky shieks both got knocked out tho. ;D

Quick Reply