Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

What transfer hurt the most

Read 5769 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: What transfer hurt the most
      Reply #46: Mar 26, 2022 10:19:12 pm
      I’m going off piste and saying Sir Bob’s retirement was hard to take for me, I honestly thought We’d fall of the cliff, that’s no slur on Joe Fagan but I was of a age where I recognised a genius at work in Bob, and didn’t see how Joe could hold his own, he did of course bless him, not to the same extent obviously, but Bob going was devastating!!

Player wise probably Rushy to Juve, again, couldn’t see how we could fill that hole, little did we we know eh ?
      Same with God, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres obviously but he left under a cloud and I wasn’t too bothered cos he disrespected the club, Similar with Coutinho and that crazy genius that was Suarez,

Carra went a season too early for my liking too, but respected his decision and of course Ste, still miss him yanno’s, funny how a player of his standing can still bring a smile to your coupon even though we have done pretty well without him,

There were plenty before like Aldridge, Digger, Beardsley, Neal, Clem, Keegan, Hansen, Terry Mac, list is fookin endless!

Y  N  W  A
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,165 posts | 8548 
      Reply #47: Mar 27, 2022 03:13:47 pm
      Fowler going was the worst for me. I was in my early 20s and he was my last true footballing hero. I remember being at work in tears ... the papers came in with the photo of him driving away from melwood for the last time. When he came back .... those tears returned but tears of joy.

Rush leaving for me, was only about 8, proper dead upset, then went mental the following summer when realised he was coming back home.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #48: Mar 27, 2022 05:13:00 pm
      watch the 74 Cup final it was a master class in pass and move and the Shanks left it was like losing a family member the city was almost in mourning it was that type of event. But Keegan going was the first real superstar player to leave after winning the European Cup.
      But after Sir Bob took over and Kenny came we went on to the next level or several higher levels after Shanks left such a legacy.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #49: Mar 27, 2022 06:11:23 pm
      Without doubt Fowler leaving for Leeds.

I may of mentioned it once or twice on here but Robbie was my idol growing up. He's still my all time favourite player. And seeing him leave done me in la. We'd just won the treble, with Robbie playing a key part in it. Qualified for the Champions League, helped by two goals from Robbie in the win over Charlton on the final day.

We were top of the League when we sold Robbie and I genuinely thought that was the side that was going to win the League. And then Robbie left. Within a month we'd dropped to fourth, while Robbie and Leeds were third. And then we hammered home what a daft decision it was by not signing Anelka on a permanent basis but instead brought in El-Hadji F***ing Diouf.

And because Robbie is my all time favourite player, any transfer afterwards didn't hurt as much. When the likes of Torres and Suarez have left, I always think "well we've sold better players than you in the past and still survived".
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts | 279 
      Reply #50: Mar 27, 2022 07:02:33 pm
      I was only young when Rush left but remember being chuffed when he came back. Torres was disappointing but I do wonder if we'd already seen the best of him?
      Suarez was the one for me ,we came so close to ending our league title drought and then the player only rivalled by Messi and Ronaldo at the time left us...we then signed Lambert...so close but yet so far
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #51: Mar 27, 2022 07:09:00 pm
      When the likes of Torres and Suarez have left, I always think "well we've sold better players than you in the past and still survived".

Have to disagree with you on that point. In my opinion Liverpool have never sold a better player than Luis Suarez. At the time we sold him he was of similar calibre to Messi & Ronaldo, who many people would say are the two greatest to have ever played the game. In Suarez we sold one of the best players of all time at his absolute peak 
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #52: Mar 28, 2022 10:31:05 am
      Have to disagree with you on that point. In my opinion Liverpool have never sold a better player than Luis Suarez. At the time we sold him he was of similar calibre to Messi & Ronaldo, who many people would say are the two greatest to have ever played the game. In Suarez we sold one of the best players of all time at his absolute peak 

Agreed. Suarez is one of the best players in the history of this sport, for sure. Unfortunately for us, he left, but his career has been phenomenal.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #53: Mar 28, 2022 11:41:09 am
      Rush going to Juve.

But he came back, and then we had aldo, rush, barnes, beardsley etc. so all good.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #54: Mar 28, 2022 01:11:39 pm

Maybe in terms of ability. Though as they were both forwards, their biggest attribute is goalscoring and Fowler wins that hands down.

And in saying that as far as I'm concerned nobody comes close to meaning as much as Fowler did to me, which is why I said we've sold better players.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #55: Mar 28, 2022 05:16:01 pm
      How about Steve McManaman on a free to Real? We got no money for him, which could have been a good fee, whereas we got good money for some of the recent transfers.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,165 posts | 8548 
      Reply #56: Mar 28, 2022 05:59:34 pm
      Maybe in terms of ability. Though as they were both forwards, their biggest attribute is goalscoring and Fowler wins that hands down.

And in saying that as far as I'm concerned nobody comes close to meaning as much as Fowler did to me, which is why I said we've sold better players.

Rush was still the master, Fowler was the apprentice.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,165 posts | 8548 
      Reply #57: Mar 28, 2022 06:01:29 pm
      How about Steve McManaman on a free to Real? We got no money for him, which could have been a good fee, whereas we got good money for some of the recent transfers.

All our own fault through thinking we could sell him for cash to Barca. In the end Barca were using us and Macca to land Rivaldo. I think that was in the back of Mcmanaman's head when he made the decision.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #58: Mar 28, 2022 07:55:00 pm

Have to disagree. We've sold alot of players who were better than that snide little c**t.

Similar calibre to messi and Ronaldo 🤣🤣 .. One of the best of all time .... please.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #59: Mar 28, 2022 08:27:39 pm
      Without doubt Fowler leaving for Leeds.

I may of mentioned it once or twice on here but Robbie was my idol growing up. He's still my all time favourite player. And seeing him leave done me in la. We'd just won the treble, with Robbie playing a key part in it. Qualified for the Champions League, helped by two goals from Robbie in the win over Charlton on the final day.

We were top of the League when we sold Robbie and I genuinely thought that was the side that was going to win the League. And then Robbie left. Within a month we'd dropped to fourth, while Robbie and Leeds were third. And then we hammered home what a daft decision it was by not signing Anelka on a permanent basis but instead brought in El-Hadji f**king Diouf.

And because Robbie is my all time favourite player, any transfer afterwards didn't hurt as much. When the likes of Torres and Suarez have left, I always think "well we've sold better players than you in the past and still survived".
      Coming back was very emotional how we ever sold him is just beyond belief even now.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #60: Mar 28, 2022 10:37:03 pm
      Have to disagree. We've sold alot of players who were better than that snide little c**t.

Similar calibre to messi and Ronaldo 🤣🤣 .. One of the best of all time .... please.

Please do list some of the players we've sold who at the time were better than Luis Suarez was when he left.

He scored 31 goals in 33 Premier League games the season we sold him, giving him a goals to game ratio of 0.94, which is the highest ever recorded in a single Premier League season. Even Messi, who was playing in a far better side only managed 0.90 that same year in La Liga. So yeah, he was definitely in the same calibre as Messi & Ronaldo at the time he was sold.

He then went on to Barcelona and won the lot, becoming their third highest scorer of all time in six years. After that he was sold to Atletico and dragged them to the title in his mid 30s after hitting another 20+ goal season in the league.

He's the third top assister in footballer history, he's won the title at four different clubs, has five golden boots & dragged Uruguay to a Copa America where he won player of the tournament in the process. 

But yeah, tell us all how Torres was better 😂

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #61: Mar 28, 2022 10:54:36 pm
      Rush was still the master, Fowler was the apprentice.

Rush's best was before my time unfortunately. Only caught the last few years of his time here, where he was still F***ing boss admittedly. And his records obviously speak for themselves. But for me Fowler was the master and Owen was the apprentice.

Coming back was very emotional how we ever sold him is just beyond belief even now.

His return will always be one of my favourite days.

What baffles me with the sale is how short it left us up front - probably why we brought Anelka in a few weeks later. I know we still had Owen and Heskey, but Owen's injury record even then weren't great and we had Jari who was in his final stretch of his career.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,041 posts | 2096 
      Reply #62: Mar 28, 2022 11:03:23 pm
      Please do list some of the players we've sold who at the time were better than Luis Suarez was when he left.

He scored 31 goals in 33 Premier League games the season we sold him, giving him a goals to game ratio of 0.94, which is the highest ever recorded in a single Premier League season. Even Messi, who was playing in a far better side only managed 0.90 that same year in La Liga. So yeah, he was definitely in the same calibre as Messi & Ronaldo at the time he was sold.

He then went on to Barcelona and won the lot, becoming their third highest scorer of all time in six years. After that he was sold to Atletico and dragged them to the title in his mid 30s after hitting another 20+ goal season in the league.

He's the third top assister in footballer history, he's won the title at four different clubs, has five golden boots & dragged Uruguay to a Copa America where he won player of the tournament in the process. 

But yeah, tell us all how Torres was better 😂

Best player in the world from 2013-2016 at least for me. Utterly sensational and technically  the best player who has ever played for Liverpool (imo).

But sadly, he didn't stay long enough nor did he win the trophies to be a hall of famer. When picking my Liverpool XI of the last 20-25 years neither him or Torres get into it because of that.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #63: Apr 03, 2022 11:59:03 pm
      Quote from brezipool
      Rush going to Juve.

But he came back, and then we had aldo, rush, barnes, beardsley etc. so all good.

Before he left, he was probably the best striker in the world. He was prolific and we didn't lose games when he scored, until just before he left.

I didn't think of it at the time, but now I'm convinced we partly let him go to Juve because of what happened in 85. We sold him in 86, let him go in 87, and brought him back in 88. After he came back he was just another good striker rather than a great one. So when we let him go to Leeds 8 years later, we knew his best years were long gone.
      Ddecker
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts | 50 
      Reply #64: Apr 04, 2022 12:21:49 am
      Beardsley to Everton
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 877 posts | 102 
      Reply #65: Apr 04, 2022 01:36:23 pm
      Suarez..and it was the unexpected manner of it..at the end of the season he was a Liverpool player
      and when he was knocking goals in against England in the world cup it seemed he still had to come back to England but next thing we knew he'd left for Barcelona.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #66: Apr 04, 2022 02:35:46 pm
      Rush's best was before my time unfortunately. Only caught the last few years of his time here, where he was still f**king boss admittedly. And his records obviously speak for themselves. But for me Fowler was the master and Owen was the apprentice.

His return will always be one of my favourite days.

What baffles me with the sale is how short it left us up front - probably why we brought Anelka in a few weeks later. I know we still had Owen and Heskey, but Owen's injury record even then weren't great and we had Jari who was in his final stretch of his career.

Maybe Houlier as a teacher couldnt handle an unruly pupil. Still the most gifted finisher akin to Jimmy Greaves I have ever seen he made it look like a form of art. Don't mind admitting a tear in the eye when he came home.  I saw him a few times in Tesco with his family just a really nice lad with a God given talent

Quick Reply