Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre match: Benfica v Liverpool; UCL quarter final, April 5th: KO 8pm

Read 3793 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Pre match: Benfica v Liverpool; UCL quarter final, April 5th: KO 8pm
      Apr 04, 2022 10:24:11 am
      What a month ahead. Starting at, for me, one of the great names of European football, Benfica

We know first hamd what a potential banana skin this tie is they have done us before. And while percieved as the weakest team left in it they always have ballers capable of hurting teams. And a crowd that given a sniff will be all over us.

Big task for Jürgen to manage this tie spot on ahead of Sunday. Will he go full on or change things a bit, do enough to have it in our hands for the 2nd leg and fresh to attack city on Sunday?

Ali

Joe VVD Konate Robbo

Harvey Fab Naby

Diaz  Jota  Mane

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2022 12:36:19 pm by RedPuppy »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Pre match: Benfica v Liverpool; UCL quarter final, April 5th: KO 8pm
      Reply #1: Apr 04, 2022 11:29:55 am
      Defo can see some rotation here.

But whoever does start will not let us down.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2: Apr 04, 2022 01:00:07 pm
      Idealistically you would want your fullest fittest and best X1 possible  for the next 270 minutes at least, for me that would mean this side to play in  the next 3 outings…..

………..                      Alisson
                     Trent.   Matip.   Virgil. Robbo
                          Henderson.  Fabinho
                                     Thiago
                         Salah.    Mane.   Diaz………

Risky as F**k doing such a thing, so against Benfica we’ll probably see something like this…..

………….                         Alisson
                          Trent.  Konate.  Virgil Kostas
                                         Fabinho
                                 Hendo.        Naby lad
                               Salah    Bobby.    Diaz

Jürgen will probably start with Gomez at RB, then give minutes to Trent second half, if Naby is fit he’ll start if not Ox will but subbed for Thiago after a hour, Konate in for Joel and Bobby to start rather than Mane, 5 Subs remember in the CL so might also see Minamino, Divock, or Milner, if all goes well we can then rest Mo, Fabinho or Hendo,

There is no doubt in my mind the game on Sunday will be in Jürgen’s train of thought, he will want to field that side at the top, but he’ll also want to win tomorrow night knowing a win and perhaps a 2-3 goal margin will make the second leg a mere formality and allow further rotation and the resting of tired limbs, and the best preparation possible for the semi V them again,

It’s f***in full on now ppl from Saturday V Watford to somewhere near the end of the month, we got Blueshite on the 24th so nigh on three solid weeks of high intensity cup final football, never do it easy do we ?

Glad I’m not the gaffer, fookin head hurts just doing ^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

0-2 at least, Mighty Redmen

Y  N  W  A
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #3: Apr 04, 2022 01:04:07 pm
      Would be an ideal game to let Diaz and Jota start.
      Looking forward to the run in.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4: Apr 04, 2022 01:09:42 pm
      Fancy us beating these 3-0 or 3-1...
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5: Apr 04, 2022 01:33:48 pm
      dont play city till sunday so plenty time to recover if klopp goes strong, and as billy noted above 5 subs can be used, so plenty scope to rotate during the game.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #6: Apr 04, 2022 03:24:28 pm
      Expect to see a lot of the ball, deep defending to try and frustrate us. For that reason I would like to see us start Thiago because he is the player to break them down. I expect every game from here on out to see 3 or 4 players rotate in and out of the starting XI and though this is UCL QF away from home and you want to start something close to your strongest XI Klopp will have a eye on Sunday and expect our squad players get it done in Libson.

-----------------------Alisson----------------
      Gomez----Konate-----VvD-----Robbo
      ---------Ketia------Fabino-----Thiago---
      -----Mane----------Jota------------Diaz--
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #7: Apr 04, 2022 03:33:23 pm
      Best lineup available, hope to get a big lead then subs at the 60th minute.

Not sure if Trent can start but if not then he'll surely get 30 minutes at the end.

Alisson
      Joe - Van Dijk - Konate - Robbo
                     Fabinho
               Hendo - Thiago
          Salah - Bobby - Mane

Trent, Keita, Diaz and Jota subs throughout the 2nd half
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #8: Apr 04, 2022 06:01:10 pm
      Best lineup available, hope to get a big lead then subs at the 60th minute.

Not sure if Trent can start but if not then he'll surely get 30 minutes at the end.

Alisson
      Joe - Van Dijk - Konate - Robbo
                     Fabinho
               Hendo - Thiago
          Salah - Bobby - Mane

Trent, Keita, Diaz and Jota subs throughout the 2nd half

Considering the Portuguese opposition - could be a smart move to start Jota and Diaz?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #9: Apr 04, 2022 10:05:11 pm
      Salah looks tired and not quite himself so I'd take him out and have him raring to go to prove a point on Sunday.

Ali; Trent (if fit), Konate, VVD, Robertson; Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson; Mane, Jota, Diaz.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #10: Apr 04, 2022 10:07:00 pm
      Salah looks tired and not quite himself so I'd take him out and have him raring to go to prove a point on Sunday.

Ali; Trent (if fit), Konate, VVD, Robertson; Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson; Mane, Jota, Diaz.

I disagree - I think Salah needs to be played back into form and this could be the perfect game for that to happen.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Apr 04, 2022 10:07:53 pm

Exactly why I left him out of my 11 above. Rest yes, but to also piss him off to get a reaction Sunday
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,611 posts | 366 
      Reply #12: Apr 04, 2022 11:08:49 pm
      A draw or any lead will suffice here.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #13: Apr 05, 2022 12:12:00 am
      NB: Team no longer available

I would rest Matip, Salah, Firmino, Thiago and give Trent more time to be fully ready against City.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #14: Apr 05, 2022 12:12:58 am
      Strongest side and get it won. Having said that, we can now rotate three or four players without weakening the side.

What a squad !
      What a team !
      What a Manager !

0-2 To the MIGHTY RED MEN !
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #15: Apr 05, 2022 01:52:38 am
      Let’s put them away in the first leg. No messing around.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #16: Apr 05, 2022 04:05:18 am
      We win by 4 or 5. Their best bet is to come right at us at home, and that plays into our hands.

Dicey first few minutes, then we pull their pants down and spank their ass good and proper.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,054 posts | 82 
      Reply #17: Apr 05, 2022 04:53:52 am
      I'd play the very same 11 I would like to see against City. Reason: rhythm. I'd just plug in our best and go with them the next 2 games:

Alisson
      Trent-Matip-VVD-Robbo
      Hendo-Fab-Thiago
      Salah-Jota-Diaz

Yes, Diaz > Mané.
      rossyred

• 9,096 posts | 1636 
      Reply #18: Apr 05, 2022 08:45:26 am
      Would imagine starts for Mane and Diaz after being on bench . Naby , Konate and Trent possible starters also
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19: Apr 05, 2022 09:39:10 am
      I'd play the very same 11 I would like to see against City. Reason: rhythm. I'd just plug in our best and go with them the next 2 games:

Alisson
      Trent-Matip-VVD-Robbo
      Hendo-Fab-Thiago
      Salah-Jota-Diaz

Yes, Diaz > Mané.

Don’t see rhythm being a issue when we’re in a run in for the league, and everything else, rhythmical issues happen at the beginning of the season not near the end,
      I thought of playing the same X1 for City tonight also but we can’t afford to risk injury to any of our key players, like Mo or Mane, of course there has to be a element of risk  or we wouldn’t be able to field a side, but you know what I mean,
       for me Mane, along with Mo and Diaz will start V City, Jota could get the nod tonight rather than Bobby but imo Bobby would better served in between Mo & Diaz, he’s Jürgen’s go to when he wants a bit of flare as well as his first line of defence,
      if you watch Bobby close enough you’ll see how hard he works, tracking back, breaking up play, and setting off attacks, you don’t get that with Diogo, he’s more of a around and in the box type, more akin to what Fowler was,

For me you can’t leave your best player on the bench, he’s hungry is our Mo, and he will thrive in a game of such magnitude, Benfica have to come out and play if they have any aspirations of reaching the semi’s, their best chance is tonight at home and then park the bus at Anfield, and that my little nameless friend will play right into our hands,

Bon Voyage !!

Y  N  W  A
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #20: Apr 05, 2022 09:56:08 am

Don’t see rhythm being a issue when we’re in a run in for the league, and everything else, rhythmical issues happen at the beginning of the season not near the end,
      I thought of playing the same X1 for City tonight also but we can’t afford to risk injury to any of our key players, like Mo or Mane, of course there has to be a element of risk  or we wouldn’t be able to field a side, but you know what I mean,
       for me Mane, along with Mo and Diaz will start V City, Jota could get the nod tonight rather than Bobby but imo Bobby would better served in between Mo & Diaz, he’s Jürgen’s go to when he wants a bit of flare as well as his first line of defence,
      if you watch Bobby close enough you’ll see how hard he works, tracking back, breaking up play, and setting off attacks, you don’t get that with Diogo, he’s more of a around and in the box type, more akin to what Fowler was,

For me you can’t leave your best player on the bench, he’s hungry is our Mo, and he will thrive in a game of such magnitude, Benfica have to come out and play if they have any aspirations of reaching the semi’s, their best chance is tonight at home and then park the bus at Anfield, and that my little nameless friend will play right into our hands,

Bon Voyage !!

Y  N  W  A

Yea plenty rhythm for the whole squad when there is a game every few days.

More I think about this, hes gonna use the squad tonight, Big guns on the bench ready to come on if needed.

If result doesnt go our way tonight, we can always smash them at anfield next week. ;-)

Bigger picture sunday is the game we need big guns 100% fit no niggles etc.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #21: Apr 05, 2022 10:26:20 am
      No way is Klopp going into this game with what is perceived as a weakened line up he knows the magnitude of what can be achieved COYR.
      Don77

• 6,327 posts | 1036 
      Reply #22: Apr 05, 2022 10:35:26 am
      Big games are here now. So has to be our best 11 available for me tonight bar trent as no need to take any risks with him. So:

Alisson
      Gomez
      Matip
      Vvd
      Robbo

Fab
      Thiago
      Hendo

Salah
      Jota
      Mane

What an 8 weeks or so this could be. Will be a hell of a ride whatever happens.

Quick Reply