Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Benfica?

Alisson Becker
      2 (2.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      8 (10.8%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      2 (2.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.4%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (2.7%)
       Fabinho
      1 (1.4%)
      Naby Keïta
      24 (32.4%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (1.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Luis Diaz
      32 (43.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: Apr 09, 2022 09:56:04 pm

Benfica 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 9820 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Benfica 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Apr 05, 2022 10:17:37 pm
      Can’t listen to those f***in no marks on BT anymore, Crouchy excluded, f***in pathetic, switched to LFCtv at least they know what their talking about ??
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #369: Apr 05, 2022 10:22:10 pm
      Took our foot off the gas for some reason, to be fair, Benfica looked like they weren't going to put up a fight so when they came out swinging second half I think it caught us off guard. I'm also of the belief that the changes were planned and not tactical. Mo, Mane and likely Diaz or Jota will start the weekend, as will Thiago and maybe even Keita. It's nice that we can have a second half like that and still win 3-1.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #370: Apr 05, 2022 10:37:40 pm
      Could've gone sour if the pen was given but we re-established control and finished strongly. Diaz clever run for his goal, can exploit that move in the last 15. Diaz made the goal for Mane as well..MOTM for me.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #371: Apr 05, 2022 10:42:27 pm
      Great result away from home in a q final of the champions league, don’t know how much more some require from this team , not going to have it all your own way , onto the weekend now the big games keep on coming . Hendo, Fab , Thiago in mid for me on sunday .
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #372: Apr 05, 2022 10:59:16 pm
      Yea Sadio and Mo have played too much football, plain and simple.

probably not the legs more likely their heads are cabbaged and just a bit stale from playing too much and the intensity of the Afcon and the WC games
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #373: Apr 05, 2022 11:11:49 pm
      Did not see t#e game, obviously very decent away victory, taking us nearer to semi finals. Well in red men !
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #374: Apr 05, 2022 11:40:40 pm
      The last 2 matches it seems Mo has lost that final touch...probably fatigued from the WC and AFCON final.plus the contract talk doesn't help. I'd like to see him get it back for City obviously but wouldn't be surprised if he's on the bench. Would like to see Dias start though.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #375: Apr 05, 2022 11:41:14 pm
      I went with Diaz as MOTM. Scored one and set up another looked very lively on the left hand side.

Other then the 15 minutes after Konate error that gifted then the goal we played very well, controlled the game and didn't allow much in terms of chances.

Would of been nice to see Jota bag that one at the end which really would of gave us stranglehold on the QF but job done on to Citeh.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #376: Apr 06, 2022 12:27:37 am
      What a good controlled European away performance that was by the boys tonight, all their experience showed through in that first leg, very proud of Jürgen and the boys, half time and it's 3-1 to the mighty redmen, Anfield will be buzzing next week for the  second leg. Bring it on !!!
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #377: Apr 06, 2022 09:11:27 am
      What a good controlled European away performance that was by the boys tonight, all their experience showed through in that first leg, very proud of Jürgen and the boys, half time and it's 3-1 to the mighty redmen, Anfield will be buzzing next week for the  second leg. Bring it on !!!

Deffo advantage Liverpool. I think they are a decent side but how much will the really believe is another matter. A draw..one goal down.. might have a sniff but two down and they know it could've been 4/5 goal lead, so as long as we turn up and the fight for a place is making sure we do that, I can't see any real problem getting into the semi's.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #378: Apr 06, 2022 09:23:18 am

yup pundits talking like we totally rotten 2nd half, we were playing a very good away from home, we limited them to a couple of chances and a 15-20 mins spell where they playing well and we got a wee bit sloppy.

3-1 away is boss.

Brilliant stuff.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #379: Apr 06, 2022 09:24:07 am
      Comfortable scoreline, but we let them back into the game in that 2nd half, losing possession and giving away cheap free kicks only boosted their determination and their fans. Glad we restored the 2 goal cushion though. Diaz! What a player!

Thiago seemed off.. Salah very wasteful. But was surprised with Firmino replacing Mane, which proved to be a negative sub. Delighted to see Konate score, but then he gave them one, and was always a weakness in the side. Always seems too slow for me.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #380: Apr 06, 2022 09:42:17 am
      yup pundits talking like we totally rotten 2nd half, we were playing a very good away from home, we limited them to a couple of chances and a 15-20 mins spell where they playing well and we got a wee bit sloppy.

3-1 away is boss.

Brilliant stuff.

Doesn't matter what others say. We play a football match to win, not to look invincible and we did it. That's all that matters. We will not be put down.
      I will take 100% sloppy (or should I say lucky) wins anytime over - 5 perfect performances, 3 draws and 4 losses. ;D
      Some of the plays we made last night were quite impressive anyway. You'd better watch out - Man City...
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #381: Apr 06, 2022 09:55:09 am
      Doesn't matter what others say. We play a football match to win, not to look invincible and we did it. That's all that matters. We will not be put down.
      I will take 100% sloppy (or should I say lucky) wins anytime over - 5 perfect performances, 3 draws and 4 losses. ;D
      Some of the plays we made last night were quite impressive anyway. You'd better watch out - Man City...

Totally agree.  :gt-happyup:
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #382: Apr 06, 2022 09:55:28 am
      Went for Diaz MOTM , thought his assist and goal were excellent. Disappointed at the good chances missed from Salah, Keita  early on but Keita had a good last 20 minutes .Konate would have been my MOTM apart from the obvious cock-up. but 3-1 will do us ...next is the big one !
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #383: Apr 06, 2022 11:07:17 am
      Shout out to the travelling reds, serious voice in that stadium last night, a credit as always
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #384: Apr 06, 2022 11:21:04 am
      Went for Luis MOTM because he had a significant impact on the result with an assist and a goal. His assist from Trent's pass for Sadio was such a wonderful goal that no team could defend against.
      As regards performance how many times over the years have we looked wonderful and won F**k all. The result matters the silverware at the end of the season matters and Sadio's goal proves the level of football we can play when necessary the harder these lads work the luckier they get
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #385: Apr 06, 2022 11:52:21 am
      Went for Luis MOTM because he had a significant impact on the result with an assist and a goal. His assist from Trent's pass for Sadio was such a wonderful goal that no team could defend against.
      As regards performance how many times over the years have we looked wonderful and won f**k all. The result matters the silverware at the end of the season matters and Sadio's goal proves the level of football we can play when necessary the harder these lads work the luckier they get

What’s your opinion on Jota not making the first 11? I thought Klopp made a rare mistake by not including him but you can obviously argue he got it right because you came away with the win. Personally I’ve had Jota in my first 11 for a while now.

Amazes how he adapts to situations and can sneak a goal out of nothing. Does he make your first 11 if all players fit?
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #386: Apr 06, 2022 12:12:17 pm
      What’s your opinion on Jota not making the first 11? I thought Klopp made a rare mistake by not including him but you can obviously argue he got it right because you came away with the win. Personally I’ve had Jota in my first 11 for a while now.

Amazes how he adapts to situations and can sneak a goal out of nothing. Does he make your first 11 if all players fit?

I dunno. Bobby brings so many players into play and is probably a better choice against Man City but jota can be terrible all game and score.
      Against arsenal I thought jotas touch was off all game.
      But then bobby can go months without scoring....

Good choice to have though.
      Similar to rashford and sancho. Except they don’t score, create and constantly lose the ball.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #387: Apr 06, 2022 10:31:00 pm
      Deffo advantage Liverpool. I think they are a decent side but how much will the really believe is another matter. A draw..one goal down.. might have a sniff but two down and they know it could've been 4/5 goal lead, so as long as we turn up and the fight for a place is making sure we do that, I can't see any real problem getting into the semi's.

Jürgen is far too experienced to take any chances next week, the lads will be professional enough to handle any situation thrown at them and just one glare from Virgil will have them worried...ANFIELD will be absolutely rocking.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #388: Apr 06, 2022 10:49:41 pm

Jürgen has always chosen the three amigos when fit in big games he trusts them. Jota is playing more and more important roles he got us through the AFCON when lots of us panicked at the thought of Mo and Sadio being away. Jürgen is a chess player he has Diaz and Jota inline for the new two out of three . I cant not pick Sadio he is such a team player and that compliments Mo being greedy it all just works by design or otherwise. So this season if Mo,Sadio and Bobby are fit I think we will see them a lot. What we do have is a wealth of options either in starting line ups or from the bench its very comforting you should try it at UTD.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #389: Apr 08, 2022 05:13:19 am
      Get the F**k innn

Should have put 5 or 6 past them but another glorious European night for us.

Can't wait for the return leg. By then we should be the only English Team left in the comp.  ;D
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #390: Apr 09, 2022 04:02:05 pm
      Question on our second goal. Trent makes a diagonal cross to Diaz who beats Benfica’s offside. He heads the ball to Mane who is behind the last defender.

Question - why wasn’t Mane ruled offside and what would make Mane offside? Appreciate anyone who can help explain. ;D

Quick Reply