Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

The title run in

Read 42847 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Re: The title run in
      Reply #460: May 15, 2022 11:01:31 pm
      Odd seeing as neither team involved unless a rule no domestic games allowed just can't see why

Check kick off times for games  that have clashed with champs league games. None allowed to be 8pm.

Just need to do what we've done most of the season and just F***ing win.
      YNWA_Mastery
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 97 posts | 19 
      Reply #461: May 15, 2022 11:03:16 pm

We will overcome.  We have depth now and more importantly, Spirit that is unbreakable.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,129 posts | 83 
      Reply #462: May 15, 2022 11:09:57 pm
      Yea we'll still make changes but it'll be a strong side mate.

Like you I think it's likely City will win next weekend but you never know and we have to go into that game with a chance.

The hope is that a draw would be enough for us to get the title after we win out. No way City loses at home against a meh Villa. Add Stevie and the tension of an all-or-nothing game and it's a 10% chance - yes, City is that good and strong and determined that I do not see the odds better.

This is the reason why I'd advice Klopp to focus more on the CL Final because that is actually in our hands. Even if Jürgen rotates heavily we'll feature a team that will be more than capable of beating the Saints. Sometimes you have to prioritize, else you end up emptyhanded because you wanted too much.

p.s. It is odd that even a loss of City would not have changed anything bc they own the goal difference.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #463: May 15, 2022 11:13:16 pm
      The hope is that a draw would be enough for us to get the title after we win out. No way City loses at home against a meh Villa. Add Stevie and the tension of an all-or-nothing game and it's a 10% chance - yes, City is that good and strong and determined that I do not see the odds better.

This is the reason why I'd advice Klopp to focus more on the CL Final because that is actually in our hands. Even if Jürgen rotates heavily we'll feature a team that will be more than capable of beating the Saints. Sometimes you have to prioritize, else you end up emptyhanded because you wanted too much.

p.s. It is odd that even a loss of City would not have changed anything bc they own the goal difference.

There’s a whole week off between the last game of the season and the final, so no reason to not go all out in the last game against Wolves.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,653 posts | 3921 
      Reply #464: May 15, 2022 11:33:31 pm

Luckily for us you’re not advising Klopp
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #465: May 16, 2022 08:28:58 am
      Luckily for us you’re not advising Klopp

spot on,i think Stevie,s  Villa can beat city.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 300 
      Reply #466: May 16, 2022 09:14:49 am
      I didn't watch city v west ham, only the highlights on MOTD but city looked poor at the back. Villa can score against them. Phil's passing behind the defence, Watkins and Ings are quick and clever strikers. They have a style of play city struggle with.

City are obviously still favourites but there is still hope. We have to play a good team on Tuesday to keep the pressure on. Maybe rest a few who played 120mins or picked up minor injuries but near full strength if possible.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #467: May 16, 2022 10:08:10 am

I completely agree mate, you have to play the probabilities here, the title is such a long shot so you have to prioritise the final and not take any unnecessary risks. I think had they lost yesterday we would have been gunning for a 4-5 goal win at St Marys with the hope of overcoming the GD. However, now it's dead simple, we have to win both games and the GD no longer matters. That's probably a better scenario for our Champ League preparations in truth.

Either way, we've got a great squad and the team that plays tomorrow night should be good enough to win at St Marys, particularly given their struggles recently. 
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #468: May 16, 2022 10:13:14 am
      I didn't watch city v west ham, only the highlights on MOTD but city looked poor at the back. Villa can score against them. Phil's passing behind the defence, Watkins and Ings are quick and clever strikers. They have a style of play city struggle with.

City are obviously still favourites but there is still hope. We have to play a good team on Tuesday to keep the pressure on. Maybe rest a few who played 120mins or picked up minor injuries but near full strength if possible.

There is full strength on paper but you have to factor in fitness. Hendo, Thiago, Trent and Mane played the full 120 on Saturday. Would you start them tomorrow night? I would prefer that we didn't, i'd have faith in Milner, Jones, Gomez and Bobby to come in for these lads. I'd prefer we play players who are 100% fit and able to play with typical Klopp high energy, also the risk of one of these players getting injured should they play is much increased given the minutes they played on Saturday.

We can beat Saints with the squad we have.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,558 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #469: May 16, 2022 10:36:42 am
      Just need to get a win tmrw to take it to last day.

I always said that west ham game was a banana skin for them. :-)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,558 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #470: May 16, 2022 10:37:48 am
      There is full strength on paper but you have to factor in fitness. Hendo, Thiago, Trent and Mane played the full 120 on Saturday. Would you start them tomorrow night? I would prefer that we didn't, i'd have faith in Milner, Jones, Gomez and Bobby to come in for these lads. I'd prefer we play players who are 100% fit and able to play with typical Klopp high energy, also the risk of one of these players getting injured should they play is much increased given the minutes they played on Saturday.

Its not an easy game all things considered, no Virgil, Fab or Salah and as you say all knackered after 120mins and penners. He will defo start with the guys with freshest legs.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #471: May 16, 2022 10:51:29 am
      goal difference is still a possibility when we win tomorrow and they get beat on Sunday a draw would mean GD. Southampton can be a team to take a beating I think our lads will be like hungry wolves and chase every ball and opportunity for 90 mins
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,558 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #472: May 16, 2022 11:14:21 am
      goal difference is still a possibility when we win tomorrow and they get beat on Sunday a draw would mean GD. Southampton can be a team to take a beating I think our lads will be like hungry wolves and chase every ball and opportunity for 90 mins

Ideal world we score 4 or 5, but the 3 points is the main objective.

they are all but safe, so they may be in holiday mode, especially if we get an early goal.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #473: May 16, 2022 11:17:04 am

No, we should just secure the win, we will win against Wolves at Anfield. Don't play too open with the Saints and just ensure the 3 points.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,653 posts | 3921 
      Reply #474: May 16, 2022 11:46:53 am
      No, we should just secure the win, we will win against Wolves at Anfield. Don't play too open with the Saints and just ensure the 3 points.

Agreed - just get the win.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #475: May 16, 2022 01:09:11 pm
      Realistically,

If you had the chance to select one team from the league to play city in the last match of the season, in emptyhad and have the bigger chances to cut points from them. Who that team would be?

I would select either Tottenham, WH, or Villa.

So, although as Jürgen said, it would be highly impressive if City drop points in two consecutive matches (if I remember correctly never happened in pep's era), I think that Villa (due to Steve, Coutinho and Ings) is a potential banana-slip for them. It's not QPR or Brighton for sure.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,558 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #476: May 16, 2022 01:26:17 pm
      Realistically,

If you had the chance to select one team from the league to play city in the last match of the season, in emptyhad and have the bigger chances to cut points from them. Who that team would be?

I would select either Tottenham, WH, or Villa.

So, although as Jürgen said, it would be highly impressive if City drop points in two consecutive matches (if I remember correctly never happened in pep's era), I think that Villa (due to Steve, Coutinho and Ings) is a potential banana-slip for them. It's not QPR or Brighton for sure.

defo, especially if they have a go. City defence is a bit ropey just now.

But it doesn't matter right now, only matters if we win tmrw night.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #477: May 16, 2022 01:44:41 pm
      Great that City dropped some points in a game they were expected to win. But, for it to mean anything, we have to do our job vs Saints first. One game at a time. They currently need to win 1, we need to win 2.

It's going to be a massive week for the club.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 300 
      Reply #478: May 16, 2022 02:03:35 pm

I think we need to make some changes but Southhampton are a good team so we can't make major changes. Unfortunately the 3 subs rule limits us. If we have 5 subs we'd be able to start a stronger team with a plan to make 2-3 changes after 45 or 60 min. I think something like this might be a good balance-

Ali
      Trent  Gomez  Matip  Tsimikas
                       Milner
                 Keita     Thiago
         Diaz     Bobby   Joto

Thiago might not be fit enough, maybe Jones needs to start for the extra energy. If Trent can't do 90 mins Konate or Henderon comes on and Gomez or Milner covers RB. Trent has had incredible fitness levels this season, I've not seen him ease up towards the end of games. He's probably the player who did 120 mins in the final that is most able to go again on Tuesday.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #479: May 16, 2022 02:21:57 pm
      All is not lost. We're mathematically still in it and there's every chance of the league title. One foul, one red card, could swing the whole match in Stevie's favour. Let's just win out last two matches. With hope in our hearts.

Whoever says "I can't see City dropping points" is their own opinion and me opinion of them would be a wum.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #480: May 16, 2022 02:21:57 pm
      since when did Jürgen or this club do caution we will play to the very best of the players abilities for 90mins so if they get the sniff of a big win they will be at it.
      No way will we be 1-0 up and start resting players or just keeping the ball its not in Jurgens DNA to hold back.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #481: May 16, 2022 02:33:59 pm
      since when did Jürgen or this club do caution we will play to the very best of the players abilities for 90mins so if they get the sniff of a big win they will be at it.
      No way will we be 1-0 up and start resting players or just keeping the ball its not in Jurgens DNA to hold back.

More like fans' demands and how they wish Jürgen should play. We should be 2-0 up after 10m, 4-0 up by halftime etc. etc. These are all fans' expectations and their judgement will be on the team and individuals who miss expectations. We've seen a lot of such fans on our boards...
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #482: May 16, 2022 03:44:39 pm
      The most startling thing Pep has ever said in his post match v West Ham "We will have a full house"

as if he had to say that, unreal, but he had to.

Win tomorrow reds and who knows. This does feel a but like destiny

Quick Reply