Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

What's our last transfer mistake?

Read 5911 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Re: What's our last transfer mistake?
      Reply #23: Apr 27, 2022 05:25:48 pm
      I think we lost it when Salah got injured. Mentally, it was a massive blow.

And I read Adam Lallana's interview on the Echo website the other day, and he basically said he wasn't ready to play the final, he never got into the game, so we basically played with 10 men.

On the other hand, I'd say losing that final is the main reason we are 'mentality monsters' nowadays (and also, as you said, why we signed Ali), so I wouldn't change a thing, as strange as it may sound.

Yea the Salah injury was the single biggest blow that game. He was simply unplayable and had 50 goals that year (i believe) in all comps all from open play. Easily our best season for us. Even with Karius' gaffe, we actually tied it at 1-1 and with Salah i am very confident we win that game.

That final is another reason why i could never have Coutinho back. If that little rat hadn't forced his way out we would have been able to much better cope Salah's injury that game by putting Phil in LW, Bobby in center and Sadio on the right. Much better than bringing in Lallana to play out of position.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #24: Apr 27, 2022 05:59:49 pm
      £35 million was worth it for a last minute Derby semi-final winner!!

Touche
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #25: Apr 27, 2022 06:14:24 pm
      Pretty much every signing in the BR era other than Bobby, Coutinho and Sturridge.

Since then, I don't know if you'd consider Karius a big mistake as such- He was signed for very little money and he never really established himself, I'd say the clown he was competing with at the time was a bigger mistake. Obviously he had the mare in Kiev but in fairness to him, he actually had a pretty good season other than that and I think he got the golden glove in the Champions League that year. But the final killed him with those blunders and he never recovered.

Ox - Signed for big money, had plenty of hype around him but has only really played at a top level for a short spell in the run up to Kiev before his injury. A handful of big performances against City and Roma but other than that, he's been nothingness really. Forget he's even still at the club half the time.

Ben Davies - complete waste of time when we were desperate for a CB to come in and help out a team that was down to bare bones, literally what was the point?! he couldn't he get a game for our U23's and only just about made it off the bench in pre-season.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #26: Apr 27, 2022 06:26:22 pm

Can’t argue with that, got panic written all over it, bad business right there, them two and going back further that horrible Cnut Hadji Douff, hated that f**ker, still do !!  Kunt !

That bubble heided F**k Balotelli made my blood boil all the f***in time ,that other Italian joker Alberto Aquilani was another hide a seek champion  ,Milan Jovanovic was another cracker, today's players that disappoints butterfingers end of 
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #27: Apr 28, 2022 11:39:49 am
      In the Klopp era the only error really was Karius. Based on the price it was no big deal, i think he cost about 7-8 million but obviously the errors he made in the final were shockers and i think that sticking with him and Mignolet for that extra season cost us a few points along the way.

I was beginning to wonder if Keita would fall into the 'flop' category given that he cost north of 50 million and his injury record has been so bad. however, he has been fit this season and is playing really well and perhaps, he will now be rewarded with a new contract.

The fact we are all scratching around trying to think of failed signings in itself tells the story. Recruitment has simply been stunning. Combine that with our fantastic manager and you get what we are seeing right now. It's an incredible time to be a Red, it truly is!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #28: Apr 29, 2022 02:32:23 am
      For me Markovic and the unlucky Karius for the obvious reasons.
      Richard88
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 399 posts | 145 
      • John 3:16
      Reply #29: Apr 29, 2022 09:28:11 am
      When reading through the list of signings in the OP the one that jumps out, relative to the fee and expectations, is Ox.

He had a decent start but he's fallen so far out of favour that he's been surpassed on the depth chart by every single midfielder we have, including Elliott and Jones.

Some of that has been down to him not making the most of opportunities, but he's also been a victim of circumstance. The team has evolved from being a run-and-gun end-to-end rollercoaster to be a controlling machine that strangles opponent's like a python rather than going end-to-end. Ox was well suited to the early Klopp team, but is a complete misfit in the current team as he's been unable to adapt his game.

He's also a player who needs a run of games to be get into his groove, but he's never going to be afforded that here.

That all said, I anticipate that he'll go to another decent Prem team where he can get regular football and do well for himself. Leicester or West Ham seem like clubs he could do that at. Alternatively Howe's Newcastle, especially as Howe has a track record of signing Liverpool cast-offs (eg. Ibe, Brad Smith, Solanke).
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #30: Apr 29, 2022 09:40:35 am
      Not signing Anelka.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #31: Apr 29, 2022 11:40:15 am
      Not signing Fekir…
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #32: Apr 29, 2022 12:20:36 pm

Think we've done alright without him to be honest, he's hardly set the world alight in the time since then.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #33: Apr 29, 2022 12:29:25 pm
      Think we've done alright without him to be honest, he's hardly set the world alight in the time since then.
      Absolutely mate, was tongue in cheek really. Seemed like such a big deal at the time but all worked out as you say.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #34: Jul 19, 2022 01:44:59 pm
      Congratulations to Ben Davies. You have finally won something from your time at this club, and won us 4mn quid, just for being here.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #35: Jul 19, 2022 07:07:06 pm
      Karius was garbage. So many mistakes in his time here.

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #36: Jul 21, 2022 06:43:18 am
      Keita will be the biggest one if he does not have a good season this time, not that he was bad but the investment was substantial.

Not everything worked out. Davies did not play one minute; Kabak was not good enough, Solanke never lived up to expectations but it does not matter that much, we spent little on them and even made some profit. But Keita, if he flops, it's millions wasted. 

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #37: Jul 21, 2022 08:48:29 am
      Keita will be the biggest one if he does not have a good season this time, not that he was bad but the investment was substantial.

Not everything worked out. Davies did not play one minute; Kabak was not good enough, Solanke never lived up to expectations but it does not matter that much, we spent little on them and even made some profit. But Keita, if he flops, it's millions wasted. 

What you on about fella, Naby ? He may not have performed as was expected but to be fair to him he’s had a lot of injuries and spent too much time in recovery, all of that results in him not getting a run in the side to build confidence, we seen glimpses of his talents plenty of times but consistency has been his enemy too,
      Sounds like I’m making  excuses for him but I’m not, he like other players are in a constant battle for one place in the side, and like others he’s probably a 7/10 performer and we need a 9/10 and to do so regularly, that’s not been happening but while he’s still under contract he still has opportunities to finally give us what we expect, that’s not enough of a reason to Chuck him under the tour bus !!

Seems to me the only millions wasted is the Jizz from yer Ol fella’s Bawbag 😜 !!

Have a nice day, as they say in Guinea 🇬🇳

Y  N  W  A

Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #38: Jul 21, 2022 09:25:40 am
      Has to be the Ox. His first touch lets him down. Strong lad but he lacks the quality needed to perform at this level. On the Nabby front. I don't think he has been an abject failure, sort of so-so. Nobody has really grabbed the attacking midfield position. The Ox, Nabby, Elliott,Jones. It's there for one of them.

The Boss still has faith in The Ox and will give him plenty of chances, but I think he'll just be on the periphery once again. Could be Carvalho fill the position.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #39: Jul 21, 2022 09:55:55 am
      Karius klopp era.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #40: Jul 21, 2022 01:00:52 pm
      El hage diouf or however it’s spelt, Signed by Rafa I think.
      Had his moments but on the whole, big waste of money.
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #41: Jul 21, 2022 01:49:53 pm
      Karius. He was nowhere near as good as mignolet (who obviously was nowhere near ali's level) . Karius was a disaster and I've no idea why Jürgen kept faith with him.

Even the best make the odd mistake. And to be fair ... after the debacle in Kiev it was corrected ... and some.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #42: Jul 21, 2022 02:50:53 pm

He was signed by Houllier back in 2002, chosen instead of Anelka. Complete disaster.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #43: Jul 21, 2022 03:22:46 pm

What a complete pwick he was.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #44: Jul 21, 2022 03:24:01 pm
      Has to be the Ox. His first touch lets him down. Strong lad but he lacks the quality needed to perform at this level. On the Nabby front. I don't think he has been an abject failure, sort of so-so. Nobody has really grabbed the attacking midfield position. The Ox, Nabby, Elliott,Jones. It's there for one of them.

The Boss still has faith in The Ox and will give him plenty of chances, but I think he'll just be on the periphery once again. Could be Carvalho fill the position.

OX has been ok, unlucky with injuries like so many players when they hit their peak. Never quite the same after serious injuries.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #45: Jul 21, 2022 03:25:01 pm
      Remember topic is last transfer mistake.

So Im thinking klopp era, unless we think klopp has made no mistakes in transfer era. And tbf there are not many. ;D

Quick Reply