Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Best 50 Liverpool Players of All Time

Read 1275 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Best 50 Liverpool Players of All Time
      May 01, 2022 08:57:27 pm
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Re: Best 50 Liverpool Players of All Time
      Reply #1: May 01, 2022 09:20:17 pm
      Such a difficult and complicated evaluation. No one will ever agree with such a list beyond one and two and maybe not even there. Was Gerrard better than Souness if we disregard his career post retirement? It's at least very debatable. And it's further complicated by how a player fits the system of the time. Salah wouldn't be in the top ten if he played in the 80's. My view is Terry Mcdermott should be much higher in the list, Hansen is top ten and Rush should be ahead of Barnes who was obviously a genius, but strangled by injuries.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: May 02, 2022 09:27:01 am
      I        have seen so many fantastic players wear our LIVERPOOL RED SHIRT over the years but for me one player stood out and it has to be the late great Billy Liddell.He was that good he played for Great Britain against the rest of Europe when football resumed after the second world war and was selected to play twice.They didnt call our REDS Liddellpool for nothing.He was a fantasticfootballer and a fantastic clubman.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #3: May 02, 2022 10:24:39 am
      Whoever wrote that list obviously has us doing the quadruple this year as he's got us down with 20 domestic titles and 7 European Cups already.

As for the list itself, it's almost laughable but that's because of how many great players we've had that you're always going to leave great players out. But how the F**k does Phil Neal not make that list when he's the only man to win four European Cups with the club?

Then, of course, there's countless others - especially from the early days who almost always get overlooked. I understand knowledge of those is limited now with many people who watched them firsthand no longer with us. But how do you make our 50 greatest ever players and leave out our longest serving player of all-time Elisha Scott? Or our first League Title winning captain Alex Raisbeck? Or our once goalscoring record holder and still hat-trick champion Gordon Hodgson?

As I said, to limit 786 players who've played for our club to just 50 is almost impossible. To limit it to a 100 is almost impossible. But certain people should be on that list - and none more so than Phil "Zico" Neal.
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2022 10:33:37 am by dunlop liddell shankly »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4: May 02, 2022 10:31:56 am
      Whoever wrote that list obviously has us doing the quadruple this year as he's got us down with 20 domestic titles and 7 European Cups already.

As for the list itself, it's almost laughable but that's because of how many great players we've had that you're always going to leave great players out. But how the f**k does Phil Neal not make that list when he's the only man to win four European Cups with the club?

Phil Neal alone for playing the number of games he played should be on the list he was superb and what about Chris Lawler an immaculate player and a goal scorer. Shankly's men should head the list because they are the Genesis of where we are today.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #5: May 02, 2022 10:41:14 am
      Phil Neal alone for playing the number of games he played should be on the list he was superb and what about Chris Lawler an immaculate player and a goal scorer. Shankly's men should head the list because they are the Genesis of where we are today.

You could easily make a list of another 50 who should be on there mate.

Lawler as you rightly say. Peter Thompson from that time as well. Gordon Milne and Willie Stevenson who were both key parts to Shanks' success.

Somehow Beardsley doesn't make the list. Craig Johnstone and Ray Houghton could be argued are worthy of a place on there. Mark Wright, Rob Jones, Stig Inge Bjornebye and Jamie Redknapp from my childhood. Gary Mac, Henchoz, Babbel, Kuyt, Garcia to bring it a bit more up to date. And maybe even Danny Sturridge who for a time had the best goals to game ratio since Aldo.

And then one of the most underrated players in our history - Joel Matip. For all the plaudits Van Dijk rightly gets, big Joel is every bit as worthy of them as well. And in my opinion has been our best defender this season. Right up there with Gary Mac as one of the best free transfers we've ever made.

The problem is if you put all them in, you have to take someone else out and then the arguments come for how the ones you take out aren't on the list. Limiting it to 50, or even a 100, for our club is nigh on impossible.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6: May 02, 2022 10:58:12 am
      You could easily make a list of another 50 who should be on there mate.

Lawler as you rightly say. Peter Thompson from that time as well. Gordon Milne and Willie Stevenson who were both key parts to Shanks' success.

Somehow Beardsley doesn't make the list. Craig Johnstone and Ray Houghton could be argued are worthy of a place on there. Mark Wright, Rob Jones, Stig Inge Bjornebye and Jamie Redknapp from my childhood. Gary Mac, Henchoz, Babbel, Kuyt, Garcia to bring it a bit more up to date. And maybe even Danny Sturridge who for a time had the best goals to game ratio since Aldo.

And then one of the most underrated players in our history - Joel Matip. For all the plaudits Van Dijk rightly gets, big Joel is every bit as worthy of them as well. And in my opinion has been our best defender this season. Right up there with Gary Mac as one of the best free transfers we've ever made.

The problem is if you put all them in, you have to take someone else out and then the arguments come for how the ones you take out aren't on the list. Limiting it to 50, or even a 100, for our club is nigh on impossible.

Now Joel's fitness is sorted he has been outstanding and clearly Jürgen knows how to use him and rest him but he should be right up there. How lucky we are but maybe it can only be a generational thing as I am sure Billy has seen players we never did and is capable of rating them having seen them. Peter Cormack was a wonderful often forgotten player Tommy Lawrence the first sweeper keeper patroling the edge of his box and further when required . In them days nobody bothered with catch phrases just winning games and titles was enough

Quick Reply