Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

60-minute matches with a stop-clock

Read 2838 times
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      60-minute matches with a stop-clock
      May 06, 2022 04:58:51 pm
      Please excuse the source (feel free to just read the part in bold). But what are your thoughts on this?

MARK CLATTENBURG: Football should introduce 60-minute matches with a stop-clock - that way every game would last the same length and we'd get rid of the time-wasting that was on display during Man City's defeat at Real Madrid
      By Mark Clattenburg for the Daily Mail

I've had managers give me earfuls at full-time because I only added on two minutes rather than three.

Players tell me I've done them dirty, and supporters call me this and that for the same 'crime'.

As if those additional 60 seconds they lost were the reason they didn't get the result they wanted.

We referees know stoppage time is a contentious subject. The winning team want less - the losing team want more.

Given how Real Madrid's players were milking every second they could in the second half of extra time in the Champions League on Wednesday night, Manchester City were less than thrilled that only three minutes were added on.

They were even less impressed when the full-time whistle was blown 10 seconds short of that time.

I think there's a solution to all of this and that's 60-minute matches with a stop-clock - an idea which Pierluigi Collina, FIFA and IFAB are currently looking at. It works in basketball and it could work in football, too.

The clock is paused when the ball goes out of play, for example, or there's an injury causing a delay, or a referee is issuing a yellow card and dishing out a talking-to.

That way, every game would last the same length and we'd get rid of this controversy.

In the Premier League this season, the average time of the ball being in play has been 55 minutes, three seconds.

The shortest was West Ham versus Brentford - 41 minutes, 33 seconds - whereas the longest was Manchester City against Burnley - 65 minutes, 42 seconds.

That's a big difference but the 60-minute clock would stop that and guarantee paying punters that they at least get to see an hour of football on the pitch.

It's a conversation that our sport should be having, and one which would mean the debate over Daniele Orsato's three minutes at the end of extra time wouldn't need to be had in the aftermath of City's collapse in Madrid.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10787299/MARK-CLATTENBURG-Football-introduce-60-minute-matches-stop-clock.html
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Re: 60-minute matches with a stop-clock
      Reply #1: May 06, 2022 05:57:21 pm
      Does require full investigation and quite a few trial games. Only when the stats are pointed out that you realise how much playing time is actually lost. Then there's VAR and the faff over the decisions.

Throw ins take an age, keepers messing about, subs walking off, VAR, bookings, injuries etc so I suppose with the technology available they should be able to set this up relatively easily.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2: May 06, 2022 07:36:55 pm
      If ainā€™t broken donā€™t fix itā€¦ whatā€™s in place right now is good enough for the gameā€¦
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3: May 06, 2022 07:48:58 pm
      If ainā€™t broken donā€™t fix itā€¦ whatā€™s in place right now is good enough for the gameā€¦

it would be if they stopped all the nonsense like Pickford  or players diving and then holding their head knowing the game will be stopped.
      Have a time keeper take that away from the Ref.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4: May 06, 2022 08:05:27 pm
      it would be if they stopped all the nonsense like Pickford  or players diving and then holding their head knowing the game will be stopped.
      Have a time keeper take that away from the Ref.

They should if anything introduce a 5 second limit for the keeper to hold into the ballā€¦as for the theatrical stuff, just add more time..
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5: May 06, 2022 08:18:54 pm
      They should if anything introduce a 5 second limit for the keeper to hold into the ballā€¦as for the theatrical stuff, just add more time..

It was 6 seconds at one time.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #6: May 06, 2022 08:26:56 pm

Did they scrap it mate..Or they couldnā€™t be arsed to unfit e it..?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7: May 06, 2022 09:07:20 pm

have someone behind the goal with a Tazer  .
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #8: May 06, 2022 09:40:45 pm
      I remember in the 80s. When they banned keepers from picking up a backpass. It was a good change for the game.

It will take teams wasting time so blatantly that the game is getting ruined. it will also require integrity from a timekeeper. Could get tricky w last second chances and close games
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #9: May 06, 2022 10:07:23 pm
      I donā€™t have a problem with time wasting in game (keeping it in the corner etc) but if the ball goes out or a player is injured then it should be added on properly and not just the usual 4 minutes of stoppage time.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #10: May 06, 2022 11:25:09 pm
      Time wasting is dealt with easily - give a ref a pair of bollocks and it'll stop.

If whichever clown had the Derby had booked Pickford the second or third time he did his time wasting then he wouldn't of done it again because he'd of been sent off.

Refs seem so adamant to enforce certain rules but booking people for blatant time wasting doesn't seem one of them. Same as grabbing people from set pieces. If refs just had a pair of bollocks, it'd soon F***ing stop. Rather than booking people for winning the ball with a perfectly good challenge but the follow through catches the opponent, they should be booking people with no interest whatsoever in playing the ball. Though if I was running the FA any foul with no attempt to play the ball would be a straight red and it'd cut out those F***ing cynical fouls teams do to stop the counter - we can't defend so we'll just trip you up.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #11: May 06, 2022 11:52:15 pm
      Time wasting is dealt with easily - give a ref a pair of bollocks and it'll stop.

If whichever clown had the Derby had booked Pickford the second or third time he did his time wasting then he wouldn't of done it again because he'd of been sent off.

Refs seem so adamant to enforce certain rules but booking people for blatant time wasting doesn't seem one of them. Same as grabbing people from set pieces. If refs just had a pair of bollocks, it'd soon f**king stop. Rather than booking people for winning the ball with a perfectly good challenge but the follow through catches the opponent, they should be booking people with no interest whatsoever in playing the ball. Though if I was running the FA any foul with no attempt to play the ball would be a straight red and it'd cut out those f**king cynical fouls teams do to stop the counter - we can't defend so we'll just trip you up.

but they don't, or every game against Atletico Madrid would have 15 minutes of added time in each half.

I don't like the idea but at least would help with the excessive time wasting you see from some teams.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #12: May 06, 2022 11:53:37 pm
      Does require full investigation and quite a few trial games. Only when the stats are pointed out that you realise how much playing time is actually lost. Then there's VAR and the faff over the decisions.

Throw ins take an age, keepers messing about, subs walking off, VAR, bookings, injuries etc so I suppose with the technology available they should be able to set this up relatively easily.

An indirect benefit of this is the diving and rolling around like there's a sniper in the crowd would go down significantly.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #13: May 07, 2022 12:35:54 pm

I agree, this idea of 60 minute stop clock seems silly when they is a tool in place already within the rules of the game to combat this issue, the ref don't want to inforce it.

Easiest solution be get someone with a watch to record the time whenever there is a stoppage in play then tell the official how much injury time to play.

The 60 minute stop watch game just seems like a progression of bringing more adverts within the game (during stoppages)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #14: May 07, 2022 01:07:07 pm
      I also think that the rules are in place to deal with these situations.  Like someone pointed out back passes was a massive step to eradicate time wasting but cheaters find ways. 

The ref need to do their jobs.   We have VAR now to assist them.  This whole argument has started with shouts from city the other night.   

I have always thought that one of the punishments of time wasting  should be just that. Reduce the added time when the game is turned over.  City were time wasting in normal time, then Madrid like the spanish teams usually do take cheating to the next level and were falling all over the place.   In which case I believe a penalty should be given in added time too.  They got 10 seconds and an minute or two off injury time well done officials though they should put that in the rules.
      « Last Edit: May 07, 2022 03:07:41 pm by king kenny »
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15: May 07, 2022 01:45:48 pm
      Don't think we can leave it to the Ref and the third official any more.  All teams waste time and if the game was on a 60 minute timer would teams then waste time to put teams off their stride.

But something has to be done. Might end up more goals being scored so it's not just the time wasting element. There is also the dynamic,so to speak, of the game. Might even take longer over dead ball situations. There's the spontaneity of the game as well. So a lot to consider.

ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #16: May 07, 2022 02:05:13 pm
      Should also introduce a shot clock, timeouts and four quarters in addition to a smaller sized pitch and bigger goalposts. Attempts to dribble for more than 3 seconds would be a travelling violation. Fouls would be called violation, not foul. The overall excitement level would certainly skyrocket! The game's changing...
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #17: May 07, 2022 02:18:06 pm
      Should also introduce a shot clock, timeouts and four quarters in addition to a smaller sized pitch and bigger goalposts. Attempts to dribble for more than 3 seconds would be a travelling violation. Fouls would be called violation, not foul. The overall excitement level would certainly skyrocket! The game's changing...

Bigger lumps of coal..that would help with the heating crisis as well. Should also be a 2 tier penalty system of some kind. I mean how can it be fair that an honest game is decided on an innocuous hand ball. The punishment should fit the crime. a deliberate foul or trip - normal pen. A innocuous hand ball yes a Pen but from the edge of the box..

See I'm thinking all the time..
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #18: May 07, 2022 04:48:14 pm
      The principle of the stop clock I get because quite frankly at the moment in ball just isn't in play enough in some games. 41 minutes between West Ham and Brentford is just farcical really. However the best way to achieve it would be stricter officiating rather than the stop clock itself.

If some of these defenders and keepers get booked and then sent off for time wasting we'd quickly see the ball in play a lot more. Bring back the 6 second goalkeeper handling rule too.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #19: May 07, 2022 05:10:18 pm
      Just stop the clock throughout the current 90 minute game  🤷ā€ā™‚ļø Then add it on.
      Whatā€™s difficult about that ? No need to change the whole game plan. Subs were always part of the 90 as well. No need to add on for that, just the blatant time wasters !
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #20: May 07, 2022 06:31:11 pm

Exactly we've lost a huge chunk of emotions and excitements of the game with VAR.   Lets now remove the passion and intensity of the game.   The stop clock will slow the game down the sponsors will be all over it a little slot before the free kicks, throwings, injuries and yes will most likely lead quarter and drink breaks.  This is our game not some yanks.   Keeping it running and add the time on.  Like with any part of cheating do something about it.  changing the entire game will do nothing but slow it down more.  Can imagine some games lasting 2 and others going for over 3hrs.

I can see something daft done as English Clubs are doing really well and that usually means lets change the laws.  Last time their bought FFP which wasn't bad but never really implemented.   We know the Premier League stands for intensity so UEFA and FIFA might want to put our clubs to a disadvantage. 

Horrible idea and will ruin the game.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #21: May 07, 2022 06:43:30 pm
      The referees are too weak. It is the referees who have allowed diving, time wasting and joking injuries etc. to manifest in the game. Rugby Union have it spot on. If a significant incident occurs like a dangerous tackle or suspected foul play or possible offence then they stop the clock in real time. There is never injury time, as soon as the clock hits eighty minutes the horn blows and once that play ends the game is over.

It's a good idea but the referees can't even deal with pussies diving everywhere, never mind stopping and starting clocks. VAR had the possibility of being a good idea but they fu**ed that up as well. They F**k everything up.

There are many good ideas floating about but if referees can't do the basics right then they have no chance of dealing with even more red tape.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #22: May 08, 2022 09:48:46 pm
      What happens when you're about to put one in the net and the clock hits 0?

Be uproar.

Quick Reply