Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Chelsea, 141st FA Cup Final; 4:45 pm, Saturday, May 14

Read 8004 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Chelsea, 141st FA Cup Final; 4:45 pm, Saturday, May 14
      Reply #69: May 13, 2022 11:41:26 pm
      During the '65 cup run we were only at home twice. I only made it to the replay V Leicester..we beat them 1-0. Used to walk the 5 miles or so from Netherton in those days.  For the final our 'ouse was full to bursting. Was 0-0 at full time. Gerry Byrne actually broke his collarbone but played on. But yes it was the biggest game of the year and probably the best cup competition in the world.

We should've won it a year earlier but lost at home to Swansea from div 2 in 6th round. Lost 1-2. Moran booted a pen over the bar.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Chelsea, 141st FA Cup Final; 4:45 pm, Saturday, May 14
      Reply #70: May 14, 2022 03:07:23 am
      CUP FINAL DAY!

Come on redmen!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #71: May 14, 2022 03:12:25 am
      During the '65 cup run we were only at home twice. I only made it to the replay V Leicester..we beat them 1-0. Used to walk the 5 miles or so from Netherton in those days.  For the final our 'ouse was full to bursting. Was 0-0 at full time. Gerry Byrne actually broke his collarbone but played on. But yes it was the biggest game of the year and probably the best cup competition in the world.

We should've won it a year earlier but lost at home to Swansea from div 2 in 6th round. Lost 1-2. Moran booted a pen over the bar.

Had not heard that story about Byrne. It's uber painful to just jog with a broken collarbone, let alone play a full-blooded game of football. What a warrior he must have been.

Different day.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #72: May 14, 2022 07:52:42 am
      Cup final day! Come on Liverpool - let’s do this lot again.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #73: May 14, 2022 08:53:41 am
      It's 30 years since we won the FA Cup at Wembley.

Two final defeats at Wembley since then, the '96 one against United still breaks me heart to this day. And two successes in Cardiff to keep us at least enjoying the taste of FA Cup victories. But for those 90's kids and after, this could be our first FA Cup win at Wembley that we actually remember as I doubt anyone born post-1990 remembers the 92 win over Sunderland. So that in itself would make today a little extra special.

And as Jürgen ended our 30 year wait for a League Title, I'm backing him to do the same with our Wembley FA Cup drought.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #74: May 14, 2022 09:38:36 am
      Finish work at 3pm today so will be back in time for kick off thankfully!

3-1 win to the reds thank you very much.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #75: May 14, 2022 09:44:48 am
      Morning… let’s have a beautiful day by bringing home the FA cup….

If your going to the match, sing us loud & proud..

I’m going for a 3-1 win to us…
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #76: May 14, 2022 09:47:43 am
      16 years is too long for us to go without winning this thing so let's put that right today!

Chelsea will make it hell for us no doubt with it being the game to save their season but we can do this if we find the level we were at before Spurs. I think with it being a final there will be a lot more energy to us which could be key.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #77: May 14, 2022 10:03:05 am
      It's 30 years since we won the FA Cup at Wembley.

Two final defeats at Wembley since then, the '96 one against United still breaks me heart to this day. And two successes in Cardiff to keep us at least enjoying the taste of FA Cup victories. But for those 90's kids and after, this could be our first FA Cup win at Wembley that we actually remember as I doubt anyone born post-1990 remembers the 92 win over Sunderland. So that in itself would make today a little extra special.

And as Jürgen ended our 30 year wait for a League Title, I'm backing him to do the same with our Wembley FA Cup drought.
      Good angle, I hadn't thought of the 30 year thing. I was at the 92 Cup final, my memories are the heavy rain, Sunderland's Byrne missed a couple of sitters before we got going and I was right behind Rush's goal, I knew it was going in as soon as he struck it.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #78: May 14, 2022 10:18:56 am
      Really looking forward to a first FA Cup in ages :)
      Nervous, but you have to try put that aside and just enjoy the occasion and hope the lads do too.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #79: May 14, 2022 10:35:20 am
      thought I would start the day with a special FA Cup moment.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uVF74OqZDY
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #80: May 14, 2022 11:23:45 am
      Had not heard that story about Byrne. It's uber painful to just jog with a broken collarbone, let alone play a full-blooded game of football. What a warrior he must have been.

Different day.

https://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/2213/2

Yes Gerry was a hard nut. I was at the Inter game, few days later, when Gerry walked around the pitch, just before kick off,carrying the FA cup. Good footballer as well.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022 11:38:22 am by Harrisimo »
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #81: May 14, 2022 11:34:39 am
      Chelsea trying to claim underdog status. We're going to London, their City and this pillock says they are the UD's....Suddenly we've become the country's favorite football team. Tell that to the biased refs and Sly TV. And yet every paper yer pick up has what Chelsea are going to do to us.

I'm going for 2-1...could be a nailbiter..we've already beat them at Wembly after Kelleher scored the winning pen..to shut up their divi keeper Kepa.

IrishRed86
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts | 37 
      Reply #82: May 14, 2022 11:50:46 am
      I had a dream last night…Liverpool 4-0 Chelsea. We spent the last 15 mins cheering every pass..let’s do this 🥊
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #83: May 14, 2022 12:28:42 pm
      I had a dream last night…Liverpool 4-0 Chelsea. We spent the last 15 mins cheering every pass..let’s do this 🥊

That would be good,  but have a feeling it will be a lot closer. C'mon the Redmen
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #84: May 14, 2022 12:49:29 pm
      So..it’s FA cup Final day..that day in the football calander we all look forward to,…well, used to, but it’s not the FA cup as we old fuckers know it,…like what Walt, Klopp’s snood and a few others have already alluded too, this special day was, well special, and it was, even up in Scotland it was a special day albeit not of the same intensity as down here,

I too can remember early morning tv with coverage of previous ties including of course quarter & semi final highlights, interviews with players, managers etc and mini-docs on the town or city the clubs  came from, and the inevitable funny or heart lifting stories within, and it was indeed magical, a season ending carnival of football, until…..Sky, the money men, and sponsors fu**ed it all up..the FA Cup doesn’t hold the same prestige as it once did…that’s because it’s not on f***in Sky, if it were, and with it perhaps a bye into the CL Qualifying stage( more on this later)…

I can also remember FA cup final days where I wasn’t at all bothered about it all, mainly cos we weren’t involving admittedly but all the same I wouldn’t be sat waiting for it to begin, I think the same thing happened with the league cup, that alone  fell from grace because of the New Premier league, a new league and trophy which pardon the pun, relegated the league cup to ‘Mickey Mouse’ status,

The FA CUP, is still a major trophy, but it would be much bigger and hold a higher prestige if there was a added incentive to win it, say a bye into the CL qualification stages for instance??
      and what’s with the KO time? traditionally it was 3pm, why has that changed, I know it hasn’t been 3pm for ages but that was part of the day, a 3pm cup final Kick Off, and of course the time most Saturday games began, ppl say things progress and we have to move with the times, well sometimes something’s don’t need changing, we don’t need to move on from, a tweak perhaps here and there but not to the detriment of the event itself and unfortunately this is why the FA cup has lost its shimmer !!

Anyhoo…..Wembley again and Chavs again, rocket scientist’s need not apply if you have a idea what Tuchel’s incentive is, and we will need to up our own ante if we want Red ribbons on the handles, if I’m honest I dunno where this will end, we’ve been off kilter of late, maybe down to fatigue, and without Fabinho it’s a much trickier task at hand, we’ll know the value of Fabinho today without him that’s for sure, but it is what it is and we just need to get on with it, Hendo will probably deputise & probably Milner later, this is of course good news for Naby, he for me will start next to Thiago, with Bobby, Curtis and Ox possible back up, I think Jürgen will go with Diaz over Jota, ….

Alisson
                                                            Trent   Matip Virgil Robbo
                                                                      Henderson
                                                               Naby lad      Thiago
                                                              Salah      Mane     Diaz

Bench; Kelleher, Gomez,Konate, Kostas, Milner, Jota, Bobby, Jones, Taki, Ox, Divock

We all know what Chavs are like, brilliant one day, not so the next, so we will see which Chavs turn up, for us , we just need to give absolutely everything we have next four games and leave nothing behind, forget the league we’re not in control of that, but we can control both finals we are in starting from today, Fab will be a miss of course but with the right tactics and mastery from Jürgen we’ll lift No 9,

Difficult to call this one, could go either way, on paper I’ll always fancy us, sticking my neck out I’d have to say Reds win Red tints or not, not expecting a classic but you never know….

2-1 Redmen

C’MON REDMEN C’MON REDMEN C’MON REDMEN C’MON REDMEN C’MON REDMEN C’MON REDMEN !!!!!!!!!

Y  N  W  A

• Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #85: May 14, 2022 12:54:10 pm
      Why is there no love for Milner? Together with Hendo he‘d make our midfield a fortress while our sorcerer Thiago can do his magic. Milner lately did exceptionally well when he came in.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #86: May 14, 2022 12:54:59 pm
      Abide with me, fast falls the eventide
      The darkness deepens Lord, with me abide
      When other helpers fail and comforts flee
      Help of the helpless, oh, abide with me

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #87: May 14, 2022 01:05:24 pm
      So..it’s FA cup Final day..that day in the football calander we all look forward to,…well, used to, but it’s not the FA cup as we old fuckers know it,…like what Walt, Klopp’s snood and a few others have already alluded too, this special day was, well special, and it was, even up in Scotland it was a special day albeit not of the same intensity as down here,

I too can remember early morning tv with coverage of previous ties including of course quarter & semi final highlights, interviews with players, managers etc and mini-docs on the town or city the clubs  came from, and the inevitable funny or heart lifting stories within, and it was indeed magical, a season ending carnival of football, until…..Sky, the money men, and sponsors fu**ed it all up..the FA Cup doesn’t hold the same prestige as it once did…that’s because it’s not on f***in Sky, if it were, and with it perhaps a bye into the CL Qualifying stage( more on this later)…

I can also remember FA cup final days where I wasn’t at all bothered about it all, mainly cos we weren’t involving admittedly but all the same I wouldn’t be sat waiting for it to begin, I think the same thing happened with the league cup, that alone  fell from grace because of the New Premier league, a new league and trophy which pardon the pun, relegated the league cup to ‘Mickey Mouse’ status,

The FA CUP, is still a major trophy, but it would be much bigger and hold a higher prestige if there was a added incentive to win it, say a bye into the CL qualification stages for instance??
      and what’s with the KO time? traditionally it was 3pm, why has that changed, I know it hasn’t been 3pm for ages but that was part of the day, a 3pm cup final Kick Off, and of course the time most Saturday games began, ppl say things progress and we have to move with the times, well sometimes something’s don’t need changing, we don’t need to move on from, a tweak perhaps here and there but not to the detriment of the event itself and unfortunately this is why the FA cup has lost its shimmer !!

Anyhoo…..Wembley again and Chavs again, rocket scientist’s need not apply if you have a idea what Tuchel’s incentive is, and we will need to up our own ante if we want Red ribbons on the handles, if I’m honest I dunno where this will end, we’ve been off kilter of late, maybe down to fatigue, and without Fabinho it’s a much trickier task at hand, we’ll know the value of Fabinho today without him that’s for sure, but it is what it is and we just need to get on with it, Hendo will probably deputise & probably Milner later, this is of course good news for Naby, he for me will start next to Thiago, with Bobby, Curtis and Ox possible back up, I think Jürgen will go with Diaz over Jota, ….

Alisson
                                                            Trent   Matip Virgil Robbo
                                                                      Henderson
                                                               Naby lad      Thiago
                                                              Salah      Mane     Diaz

Bench; Kelleher, Gomez,Konate, Kostas, Milner, Jota, Bobby, Jones, Taki, Ox, Divock

We all know what Chavs are like, brilliant one day, not so the next, so we will see which Chavs turn up, for us , we just need to give absolutely everything we have next four games and leave nothing behind, forget the league we’re not in control of that, but we can control both finals we are in starting from today, Fab will be a miss of course but with the right tactics and mastery from Jürgen we’ll lift No 9,

Difficult to call this one, could go either way, on paper I’ll always fancy us, sticking my neck out I’d have to say Reds win Red tints or not, not expecting a classic but you never know….

2-1 Redmen

C’MON REDMEN C’MON REDMEN C’MON REDMEN C’MON REDMEN C’MON REDMEN C’MON REDMEN !!!!!!!!!

Y  N  W  A

Well said as usual Billy. This is a tough game for us..

As I said the other day with Walt, you are a great embodiment of the heart and soul I have seen over the years from true Liverpool fans. People like you are what made me fall in love with this club 25 years ago while visiting from so far away . Love has only grown since then and it will continue win or lose

Hoping you get to enjoy a great day, including the result. YNWA.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #88: May 14, 2022 01:40:11 pm
      Let's go out and lift the FA cup, 2  1 for Klopp's red army !
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #89: May 14, 2022 01:48:54 pm
      WE'RE ON THE MARCH WITH Jürgen'S ARMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, WE'RE ALL GOING TO WEMBLEYYYYYYYYYYY AND WE'LL REALLY SHAKE THEM UP WHEN WE WIN THE FA CUP, COS LIVERPOOL ARE THE GREATEST FOOTBALL TEAM.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #90: May 14, 2022 01:53:47 pm
      watching BBC Lineker in 1986 when we won 3-1 had to do the open top bus parade behind the Liverpool bus with most of the support being mostly Red. I had forgotten that and it made me smile to think of Kenny double year in 86.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,627 posts | 128 
      Reply #91: May 14, 2022 02:10:06 pm
      I feel nervous about this one, I know on paper we are the better team but I hate to play Chelsea in finals. The League Cup final was already nerve wracking.

Quick Reply