Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Southampton v Liverpool, Premier League; 7:45 pm, Tuesday

Read 4143 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Pre-Match: Southampton v Liverpool, Premier League; 7:45 pm, Tuesday
      May 16, 2022 11:47:24 pm
      Penultimate league match Tuesday night and while our heads may tell us not to confuse the possible with the likely, our hearts scream out that as long as we have a chance at winning the league we must go for it.

Certainly the way City's defence looked in the first half and parts of the second, give a glimmer of hope for the massive upset that Villa beating City would undoubtedly be. That to me is the most tangible hope of the impossible happening.

Of course that won't matter if we don't do the business in this game. The team is definitely feeling the effects of such a crowded fixture list (Tuesday will be our 14th game in 46 days), not to mention going 120 minutes in the Cup final on Saturday. We've seen Fabinho, Mo Salah and Virgil Van Dijk leave matches with knocks and Jürgen has already said none of these will play Tuesday (although he is optimistic each of them can play in the Champions League final and maybe even vs. Wolves on the weekend.

Beyond that, there must be some question as the involvement from the beginning of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Thiago and Sadio Mane, but then you start to get into some serious doubt as to the quality of the starting XI should all of these players be left on the bench. Some of the guys who might come in, thinking Harvey Elliott, Alex Oxlaide-CHamberlin, Divock Origi, have scarely played in recent matches.  So Jürgen will have some difficult calls to make as he contemplates picking a side that can win. Southampton hasn't played in 10 days, btw.

Klopp is quoted here from the official site about the choices:

On choosing a line-up to face Saints so soon after the efforts at Wembley, the manager said: “What I can promise and definitely say is we will line up a team only for one reason: to try to win the game at Southampton. As difficult as it is. Because that obviously is the job to do.

“We have to see who is able to help. The 30 extra minutes [at Wembley] made a big difference, but we have to see.”

Klopp added: “They are pretty much sleeping on the massage beds, they are constantly here, the boys try to make everything happen.

“If that would happen now in the first week of the season we would talk differently, this was now game 60, so we have to be really careful, that’s clear. We don’t finish the season [at Southampton], that’s not our last game of the season, that would again be different.

“When did Southampton have their last game? It was 10 days. So, it’s completely different. OK, they might lack a little bit of rhythm, but if we make changes we lose that advantage of having rhythm as well.

“They’re completely fresh and we cannot go there and fall into this game like, ‘Oh my God, what’s going on here?’

Imagine we go there with 10 players, or eight players, who played 120 minutes [on Saturday]. That makes no sense, so that’s why we have to make changes. I don’t know how many, we will see and I will talk to the players, obviously, but that’s tough.”

Let's see what the latest chapter in this wonder season has to offer us as Liverpool supporters.
      « Last Edit: May 17, 2022 06:53:55 pm by RedPuppy »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Pre-Match: Southampton v Liverpool, Premier League; 7:45 pm, Tuesday
      Reply #1: May 17, 2022 12:39:42 am
      It’s like, ah well, let’s get Southampton out of the way and see what Stevie G can do while we batter wolves !
      But realistically it’s not like that. Saints will be a massive test for us due to them being much fresher and us losing abut of cohesion due to the necessary changes.
      I’m thinking 3 or 4 nil with my heart, but my head says 0:1 or 1:2.
      Just get the three points home boys, by any means.
      COME ON YOU RED MEN !
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #2: May 17, 2022 12:55:00 am
      Another massive game.

I’d go for

Alison
      Tsimikas
      Konate
      Gomez
      TAA
      Henderson
      Milner
      Keita
      Diaz
      Jota
      Origi
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #3: May 17, 2022 12:56:33 am
      Any 3 points would be a job well done here. This will be a much changed team we put out. Taki, Origi Kostas, Milner, Bobby and God knows who will partner Matip at centre half.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #4: May 17, 2022 07:16:44 am
      Think it will be 8 changes with only Ali, Konate and Keita keeping their place from the weekend.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #5: May 17, 2022 08:01:13 am
      Think it will be 8 changes with only Ali, Konate and Keita keeping their place from the weekend.

Think Jota will play personally as well and possibly Diaz
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #6: May 17, 2022 08:08:36 am
      It’s going to be a very long day till kick off…
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #7: May 17, 2022 08:17:08 am
      We will make changes as the boss said.

Allison

Gomez     Konate     Matip     Tsimikas

Milner

Jones      Keita

Minamino     Firmino     Origi

Something like this.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: May 17, 2022 08:36:53 am
      jt does not matter what team we put out, they will wear our Liverpool shirt with pride and do our club proud. Have faith in Jürgen and the lads.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #9: May 17, 2022 09:13:25 am

Allison

Milner

Jones      Keita

Something like this.

May as well give Southampton a bye..

or at the very least our fans a hear attack. That lineup would be far too weak/risky given what is at stake.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #10: May 17, 2022 09:36:58 am
      It’s like, ah well, let’s get Southampton out of the way and see what Stevie G can do while we batter wolves !
      But realistically it’s not like that. Saints will be a massive test for us due to them being much fresher and us losing abut of cohesion due to the necessary changes.
      I’m thinking 3 or 4 nil with my heart, but my head says 0:1 or 1:2.
      Just get the three points home boys, by any means.
      COME ON YOU RED MEN !

exactly. This is gonna be tough, We are gonna see lots of changes, so team will be a wee bit disjointed.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #11: May 17, 2022 09:37:33 am
      jt does not matter what team we put out, they will wear our Liverpool shirt with pride and do our club proud. Have faith in Jürgen and the lads.

100%
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #12: May 17, 2022 09:57:33 am
      May as well give Southampton a bye..

or at the very least our fans a hear attack. That lineup would be far too weak/risky given what is at stake.

Actually forgot about Jota, think he'll play.

Not sure it'll be too far from what he goes with though.

Can't see Hendo or Thiago play after the weekend along with Virgil and Salah.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #13: May 17, 2022 10:50:08 am
      A win of any sort away at Southampton would be incredible after our epic FA cup victory on Saturday against Chelsea . It would be something special to take the title race to the wire after so many games played in an enthralling season. !
      Stevie G the legend
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts | 15 
      Reply #14: May 17, 2022 11:05:05 am
      Newcastle had nothing to play for but played like they were playing in a cup final and everything was in stake. But it their final game at home and wanted to do it for the fans.

Southampton will try and do the same if we give them opportunity.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #15: May 17, 2022 11:14:42 am
      ok,
      Allison

Milner

Jones      Keita

Not far off, could be this too.?

Allison

Milner

Jones      Keita

Firmino   

Origi       Jota 

But also he could go a wee bit stronger but make early subs on 60mins. We do have 4 whole days to recover till the sunday game. Then a week too champions league final.

AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #16: May 17, 2022 11:29:53 am
      Just win, don’t care if it’s 5-0 or 1-0, win.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #17: May 17, 2022 12:17:22 pm
      Just win to keep our hopes intact for Sunday!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #18: May 17, 2022 12:37:08 pm

Allison

Milner

Jones      Keita

Something like this.

Think Trent could start at RB. Just recently Klopp said Kostas would have played against Villa i think it was but he didn't because Klopp didn't want to make 3 starting changes to the defence. I know Matip came on to partner Konate in extra time, but with Matip, Gomez and Kostas starting, that would be 3 changes that Klopp previously didn't want to make.
      I'd go for Diaz instead of Origi and Jota instead of Taki. Maybe we will see Elliott instead of Jones too.

Regarding Origi, I could be wrong, I think there is a clause in his contract where if he makes a set amount of appearances then it triggers an additional year. I think there is a general agreement between him and the club that he will be leaving in the summer on a free, I think he may be only 1 or 2 games away from that being triggered. I could be barking up the wrong tree but it would make sense as to why he wasn't used against Spurs when 99% of the time, with the game the way it was, he'd have been subbed on in the past. Not just the Spurs game either, there's been a few games where I think most of us would have expected him to play some part.
      He's being included on the bench just in case of a crisis happening and leaving us with no choice but to play him. If he is only 1 or 2 games away, then it sets him up to play a part vs Madrid and/or Wolves in a game where if we are losing late on, we have to throw everything possible at the opposition.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #19: May 17, 2022 01:03:36 pm

Allison

Milner

Jones      Keita

Something like this.

dont think he has much option but still good enough to do the job in hand.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #20: May 17, 2022 01:25:13 pm
      Think Trent could start at RB. Just recently Klopp said Kostas would have played against Villa i think it was but he didn't because Klopp didn't want to make 3 starting changes to the defence. I know Matip came on to partner Konate in extra time, but with Matip, Gomez and Kostas starting, that would be 3 changes that Klopp previously didn't want to make.
      I'd go for Diaz instead of Origi and Jota instead of Taki. Maybe we will see Elliott instead of Jones too.

Regarding Origi, I could be wrong, I think there is a clause in his contract where if he makes a set amount of appearances then it triggers an additional year. I think there is a general agreement between him and the club that he will be leaving in the summer on a free, I think he may be only 1 or 2 games away from that being triggered. I could be barking up the wrong tree but it would make sense as to why he wasn't used against Spurs when 99% of the time, with the game the way it was, he'd have been subbed on in the past. Not just the Spurs game either, there's been a few games where I think most of us would have expected him to play some part.
      He's being included on the bench just in case of a crisis happening and leaving us with no choice but to play him. If he is only 1 or 2 games away, then it sets him up to play a part vs Madrid and/or Wolves in a game where if we are losing late on, we have to throw everything possible at the opposition.

Think if any of the FBs play could be Robbo who has just had a week off . Trent played the full game so I think he might not play
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #21: May 17, 2022 01:27:39 pm
      Minamino hasnt even been making the squad.  Be very surprised if he starts.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #22: May 17, 2022 01:42:23 pm
      I have a feeling of a 1  0 win for the Reds tonight, give City something to think about over the next few days. It would certainly make things interesting, at this late stage of the season 😀

Quick Reply