Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

It Ain't Over Till It's Over - Last Minute Winners

Read 1974 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      It Ain't Over Till It's Over - Last Minute Winners
      May 18, 2022 08:08:49 pm
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQUg082GKis&ab_channel=LiverpoolFC

Talking about the free transfers, and Gary Mac's infamous winner at Goodison obviously crops up. And that got me thinking of other last minute winners we've had down the years. Quick search on youtube and this little gem pops up.

Gary Mac's is still an all-time favourite but maybe been overshadowed by Divock's against the bitters.

Dirk's penalty at Goodison and Mane's rebound off the post also put a smile on me face whenever I see them. At the time Collymore's and Fowler's late winners against Newcastle in the two 4-3s were very special. I remember going mental with Mellor's winner against Arsenal. Yossi putting us top with his winner against Fulham in 2009 and making us believe that was finally gonna be the year we got our League title back. And Lallana's winner against Norwich was just pure emotion and joy. But who can forget Ali's winner against West Brom? What a F***ing moment that was.

I'm still going for Origi against Everton though as my favourite last minute winner. I think I lost all control of my senses when that went in - as did our Jürgen.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Re: It Ain't Over Till It's Over - Last Minute Winners
      Reply #1: May 18, 2022 08:29:34 pm
      Origi's winner when poor old Rexy arms fu**ed up - didn't so much celebrate, pretty much laughed my F***ing arse off. People trying to hug me on the kop and I'm coughing through laughing that much. Still gives me a grin anytime I see that goal (especially with the VVD attempt at a shot included)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: May 18, 2022 08:32:44 pm
      Origi's winner when poor old Rexy arms fu**ed up - didn't so much celebrate, pretty much laughed my f**king arse off. People trying to hug me on the kop and I'm coughing through laughing that much. Still gives me a grin anytime I see that goal (especially with the VVD attempt at a shot included)

Virgil claimed an assist. Mane's Villa goal was special but beating Everton coming on from the bench with 3 mins to go I give you (and I was there) David Fairclough
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcn9ouTdmm0
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #3: May 18, 2022 08:43:41 pm
      Not technically a winner, but Ali's goal last year. Probably one of our most important last minute goals.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #4: May 18, 2022 08:45:39 pm
      Not technically a winner, but Ali's goal last year. Probably one of our most important last minute goals.

Didn't it win the game 2-1?
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #5: May 18, 2022 08:48:58 pm

You're 100% correct... I don't know why I was convinced we drew that game... Memory playing tricks on me.  :P
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #6: May 18, 2022 08:51:56 pm
      You're 100% correct... I don't know why I was convinced we drew that game... Memory playing tricks on me.  :P

It was literally our only real moment of last season, put it down to the craziness of this season ;)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,035 posts | 2090 
      Reply #7: May 18, 2022 09:00:19 pm
      Origi's winner when poor old Rexy arms fu**ed up - didn't so much celebrate, pretty much laughed my f**king arse off. People trying to hug me on the kop and I'm coughing through laughing that much. Still gives me a grin anytime I see that goal (especially with the VVD attempt at a shot included)

It's right up there. I was listening to it on 5 Live. Alan Green and Anfield going pure ballistic. It's the noise of disappointment and resignation when Virgil hits that shot - you can pretty much hear the seats snapping back as everyone gets up to leave.

Ball just takes a life of its own and fancies a dig at Pickford. Absolutely f**king brilliant. Probably my favourite derby win.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #8: May 18, 2022 09:18:49 pm
      It's right up there. I was listening to it on 5 Live. Alan Green and Anfield going pure ballistic. It's the noise of disappointment and resignation when Virgil hits that shot - you can pretty much hear the seats snapping back as everyone gets up to leave.

Ball just takes a life of its own and fancies a dig at Pickford. Absolutely f**king brilliant. Probably my favourite derby win.

dont forget Jürgen's insane sprint to ALi
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #9: May 18, 2022 09:27:32 pm
      Just remembered a Ronny Rosenthal last minute winner kop end in the Derby at Anfield 1992/93. Cracking finish too, especially as Barndoor Barlow missed about 4 gilt edged chances for the Blueshite.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #10: May 18, 2022 10:04:31 pm
      The winner against alaves in 2001 was technically the last kick of the game.
      Awesome memories from that year.

Gerrard in cup final as well 2006.

League goal for me was still Gary Mac vs Everton.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4986 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #11: May 19, 2022 12:02:13 am
      Been a few down the years hasn’t there ?  Gary Mac’s was my fav until big Div made that Cnut Pickford look a right Divvy, always has me smiling that, especially when Jürgen invades the pitch for a Brazilian  man hug with Ali, priceless, except it cost Jürgen about £8k 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂, worth every single f***in penny, Love it !!!

Y  N  W  A
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #12: May 19, 2022 02:42:37 am
      https://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolFC/videos/boss-every-angle-of-firminos-late-winner-vs-spurs-/674494883226472/

Another good moment from 2020-21. Loved Bobby's celebration. Also a reminder it hasn't been that long since we were playing in empty stadiums.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 2810 
      Reply #13: May 19, 2022 08:25:37 am
      Might be recency bias but just can't look past that Alisson goal.

Such a spectacular moment to light up what had been such a dark few months for us. After the loss he had suffered, it felt so special for him to have that moment. Clearly the goal that galvanised us to finish in the top four and gave us the platform for this season which, whatever happens, ranks as one of the most special we have ever had supporting this club.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #14: May 19, 2022 08:35:14 am
      Might be recency bias but just can't look past that Alisson goal.

Such a spectacular moment to light up what had been such a dark few months for us. After the loss he had suffered, it felt so special for him to have that moment. Clearly the goal that galvanised us to finish in the top four and gave us the platform for this season which, whatever happens, ranks as one of the most special we have ever had supporting this club.

No bias at all!
      When any goalkeeper scores from open play, it's always special, let alone it was a winning goal. It won us the title didn't it?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,600 posts | 2156 
      Reply #15: May 19, 2022 12:23:00 pm
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQUg082GKis&ab_channel=LiverpoolFC

Talking about the free transfers, and Gary Mac's infamous winner at Goodison obviously crops up. And that got me thinking of other last minute winners we've had down the years. Quick search on youtube and this little gem pops up.

Gary Mac's is still an all-time favourite but maybe been overshadowed by Divock's against the bitters.

Dirk's penalty at Goodison and Mane's rebound off the post also put a smile on me face whenever I see them. At the time Collymore's and Fowler's late winners against Newcastle in the two 4-3s were very special. I remember going mental with Mellor's winner against Arsenal. Yossi putting us top with his winner against Fulham in 2009 and making us believe that was finally gonna be the year we got our League title back. And Lallana's winner against Norwich was just pure emotion and joy. But who can forget Ali's winner against West Brom? What a f**king moment that was.

I'm still going for Origi against Everton though as my favourite last minute winner. I think I lost all control of my senses when that went in - as did our Jürgen.

I was in the away end at Fulham when Yossi scored that late winner, queue an unbroken 30 minute rendition of 'we're gonna win the league'. Which we didn't but it was feckin boss!!! the players couldn't come out and do their cool-downs for more than hour after the game ended.

My fave late goal for years was Gary Macs derby winner but Alisson's header Vs West Brom has stolen it for me.
      Remember celebrating Mellor's late strike in the pub like it was yesterday! What a finish that was, completely out of the blue.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3841 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16: May 19, 2022 02:33:16 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #17: May 19, 2022 03:29:50 pm
      wasnt fat Sam the manager at the time makes Ali's goal even sweeter
      bobbyrogers
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #18: May 19, 2022 09:36:44 pm
      Virgil claimed an assist. Mane's Villa goal was special but beating Everton coming on from the bench with 3 mins to go I give you (and I was there) David Fairclough
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcn9ouTdmm0

He was a fantastic player.

Quick Reply