Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who Is Our Greatest Freebie (Premier League Era)

Kvarme (1997)
      0 (0%)
      Staunton (1998)
      1 (2%)
      Meijer (1999)
      0 (0%)
      Mcallister (2000)
      3 (6.1%)
      Babbel (2000)
      0 (0%)
      Zenden (2005)
      0 (0%)
      Aurelio (2006)
      0 (0%)
      Voronin (2007)
      0 (0%)
      Degen (2008)
      0 (0%)
      Toure (2013)
      0 (0%)
      Stewart (2014)
      0 (0%)
      Milner (2015)
      33 (67.3%)
      Matip (2016)
      12 (24.5%)
      Adrian (2014)
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

You Get What You Pay For - Liverpool's Greatest Free Transfer

Read 3205 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      You Get What You Pay For - Liverpool's Greatest Free Transfer
      May 18, 2022 05:07:38 pm
      There's a couple of keeper I've left out like Arphexhad, Manninger, Bogdan, Lonergan and Luzi because they played a handful of games for us between the the five of them. I've also left Aurelio's return out because it was a free transfer from us, so I don't class as a second signing. And Danny Ings' transfer from Burnley did cost us a few quid in compo if not in actual transfer money, so I left that out.

I have kept Adrian in though because he was our keeper when we won the Super Cup and Kevin Stewart because his transfer out of the club helped us bring Andy Robertson in.

I expect the vote to be quite close between Matip, Milner and McAllister.

Joel just because he's F***ing immense. Milner because he doesn't let us down whenever he plays. And Gary Mac for that goal against Everton if nothing else. The fact he was also simply brilliant whenever he played for us obviously helps him a bit. One who I think will be overlooked is Markus Babbel who for the treble winning year was outstanding. He then suffered the horrific injury that stopped him being able to walk and, understandably, never quite got back to the level required. But if not for that injury, he'd be well worth a vote or two in my opinion.

I also expect Aurelio to get a couple because of those free kicks against United in the 4-1 win and against Chelsea in the Champions League. Also some members of this forum always loved him when he was here. I personally didn't think he was as good as some made out but I do expect some to sing his praises. Bolo Zenden may get the odd vote as well because for some reason people rated him when I think he's one of the jammiest cu*ts in the world to of played for us and Barca and the Dutch national team when they had real quality to pick. Zenden does not belong on the pitch ahead of De Boer, Cocu, Seedorf, Davids, Overmars etc.

Kvarme was one of a long list of poor centre halves we had during the 90s. Erik Meijer was just F***ing useless. Stan Staunton's return was solid enough but didn't achieve what some of the top picks did. Voronin scored a belting little chip in pre-season but that was about it for the lad who didn't like our city because of police sirens. Degen was constantly injured and sh*t when he wasn't. Joe Cole did very little during his time here and I always found him overrated anyway because he was English who did fancy flicks and turns but little else.  And finally Kolo Toure was just as much as to blame as anyone in the year we lost the League under Rodgers because of his suicide pass against West Brom which allowed Anichebe to score. But I think Kolo established himself as a bit of a cult hero in his time here.

So who is our greatest freebie?

Nostalgia would have me picking Gary Mac. He was part of my favourite Liverpool squad. And a vital part of that squad as well. But Joel F***ing Matip is just becoming an all-time great. He's performing better this season, the year where we can still win everything, than Virgil Van Dijk - who is widely considered the best centre half in the world. And he's been boss since he arrived. This isn't just a form of recent bias for his goal yesterday either, this is an opinion being formed over five to six years of watching the big man play for us. Milly has been a great servant to the club as well but I'm still plumping for big Joel.

Yours?
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Re: You Get What You Pay For - Liverpool's Greatest Free Transfer
      Reply #1: May 18, 2022 05:27:57 pm
      Great post Billy , I’m going for Milner , Joel , McAllister in that order , Gone for Milly for his overall contribution to the squad and setting the tone every pre season , the model professional if ever there was one ,
      Joel as you say has been superb this season, I feel it was only niggling injuries that held him back previously, Gary Macs goal against the toffees will last a lifetime in the memory bank same as the look on Houliers face when it went in ,
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2: May 18, 2022 05:36:17 pm
      Great post Billy , I’m going for Milner , Joel , McAllister in that order , Gone for Milly for his overall contribution to the squad and setting the tone every pre season , the model professional if ever there was one ,
      Joel as you say has been superb this season, I feel it was only niggling injuries that held him back previously, Gary Macs goal against the toffees will last a lifetime in the memory bank same as the look on Houliers face when it went in ,

Milner for me. The longevity of the lad been amazing and at a high standard too.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #3: May 18, 2022 06:50:22 pm
      Milner by a mile, for me what a stalwart
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4: May 18, 2022 07:01:23 pm
      what about Adrian he really came to our assistance after ALi got injured. Matip and Milner but anyone who can score a goal against the blue sh*te by a sneaky free kick is worthy of mention but come on Millie has won everyone over and how could we let him go sign him up again and again and again
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #5: May 18, 2022 07:09:23 pm
      Not so long ago it would of been McAllister, but he's been replaced now by Milner.

Absolute machine and my motm last night.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #6: May 18, 2022 07:11:22 pm
      Jesus some of them F***ing names though. Kvarme, Staunton, Meijer, Voronin and Degen. Could you have even got a footballer out of that pile of sh*te.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #7: May 18, 2022 07:26:01 pm
      I was genuinely tempted to go with Stewart, simply because as a result we signed Robbo for 'free' down the line.  ;D

Gary Mac would have been a good shout, but we only got 2 years out of him...
      Fabio Aurelio would have been immense for us if it wasn't for his injuries. What a classy player he was.

It's between Milner and Matip, but I have to go with Milly.
      On the pitch, I'd say Joel might have been more important, but as a whole, Milly was probably the most influential. As Jürgen said, he set the standards, and I genuinely believe our team wouldn't be as strong, as solid, as determined without him.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #8: May 18, 2022 07:26:40 pm
      Jesus some of them f**king names though. Kvarme, Staunton, Meijer, Voronin and Degen. Could you have even got a footballer out of that pile of sh*te.

You can add Jovanovic and J. Cole to the list.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9: May 18, 2022 07:32:55 pm
      Gary Mac would have been a good shout, but we only got 2 years out of him...

You weren't at Goodison for his free-kick winner were you? ;)
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #10: May 18, 2022 07:33:13 pm
       :lmao:
      Jesus some of them F***ing names though. Kvarme, Staunton, Meijer, Voronin and Degen. Could you have even got a footballer out of that pile of sh*te.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #11: May 18, 2022 07:34:19 pm

And they weren't the worst of the Owl era. You forgot cockney pr**k Konchesky and Poulsen :laugh:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #12: May 18, 2022 07:35:43 pm
      You weren't at Goodison for his free-kick winner were you? ;)

its a death bed memory mate that just makes you smile when you think of it even now to see it brings a shiver down the spine.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #13: May 18, 2022 07:43:28 pm

Wont matter who you add. Milner by a mile…. Make that 2 miles.  ;D
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #14: May 18, 2022 07:47:43 pm
      Milner for me . Matip would.of won hands down had he not missed so much through injuries
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #15: May 18, 2022 07:52:18 pm
      Surprisingly looking at who started the thread, I'm a tad disappointed no mention of Elisha Scott ;)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: May 18, 2022 07:56:08 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #17: May 18, 2022 08:01:34 pm
      I guess where it all started is important and they were cheap notice the Scottish theme its one of my things that we should always have a Scot in our side.
      Defenders
      Andrew Hannah (c)   Scotland   17 September 1864 (age 28)   Renton   1892   25   0
      Duncan McLean   Scotland   20 January 1868 (age 25)   Everton   1892   25   0
      James McBride   Scotland   30 December 1873 (age 19)   Renton   1892   23   4
      John McCartney   Scotland   1870 (age 22-23)   St Mirren   1892   21   1
      Joe McQue   Scotland   11 March 1873 (age 20)   Celtic   1892   20   2
      Matt McQueen   Scotland   18 May 1863 (age 30)   Leith Athletic   1892   17   5
      James Kelso   Scotland   8 January 1869 (age 24)   Renton   1892   1   0
      Wally Richardson[a]   England   1870 (age 22-23)      1892   1   0
      Midfielders
      Hugh McQueen   Scotland   1 October 1867 (age 25)   Leith Athletic   1892   17   4
      Andrew Kelvin   Scotland   1869 (age 23-24)   Kilmarnock   1892   6   0
      Philip Kelly   England   1869 (age 23-24)      1892   3   0
      Joe Pearson   England   1868 (age 24-25)   West Derby   1892   1   0
      Forwards
      Tom Wyllie   Scotland   5 April 1870 (age 23)   Everton   1892   25   15
      John Miller   Scotland   1870 (age 22-23)   Dumbarton   1892   24   26
      Malcolm McVean   Scotland   7 March 1871 (age 22)   Third Lanark   1892   24   12
      John Smith   Scotland   1866 (age 26-27)   Sunderland   1892   11   5
      Jonathan Cameron   Scotland      Renton   1892   9   5
      Arthur Worgan   England   1871 (age 21-22)      1892   0   0
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #18: May 18, 2022 08:12:38 pm
      Surprisingly looking at who started the thread, I'm a tad disappointed no mention of Elisha Scott ;)

Does say Premier League era though!!

But I have missed a few because I've left Maxi, Bellamy and Jovanovic out. (probably a few others as well). And I thought you'd of been the first to point that out.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #19: May 18, 2022 08:21:16 pm
      Does say Premier League era though!!

But I have missed a few because I've left Maxi, Bellamy and Jovanovic out. (probably a few others as well). And I thought you'd of been the first to point that out.

Tbh I only saw the title thread, didn't see the Premier League bit in brackets :laugh:

Been enjoying the season? Wasn't that the 2nd time around with Bellamy under Kenny?

Maxi I always thought was an undisclosed transfer and Jovanovic I've done my best to forget about!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #20: May 18, 2022 08:25:25 pm
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #21: May 18, 2022 08:29:49 pm
      Tbh I only saw the title thread, didn't see the Premier League bit in brackets :laugh:

Been enjoying the season? Wasn't that the 2nd time around with Bellamy under Kenny?

Maxi I always thought was an undisclosed transfer and Jovanovic I've done my best to forget about!!

Yeah mate, Bellamy was brought back by Kenny. And speaking of players coming back on freebies I've also just had to give meself a belt across the face because I've forgotten to add Robbie coming home under Rafa on a free. Both from Man City an all.

Maxi was another of those who was always loved on here but I felt slightly overrated by our own. Wasn't he (and Tevez) the reason players couldn't wear snoods?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #22: May 18, 2022 08:31:38 pm
      Yeah mate, Bellamy was brought back by Kenny. And speaking of players coming back on freebies I've also just had to give meself a belt across the face because I've forgotten to add Robbie coming home under Rafa on a free. Both from Man City an all.

Maxi was another of those who was always loved on here but I felt slightly overrated by our own. Wasn't he (and Tevez) the reason players couldn't wear snoods?

F**k me, I'll slap myself as well for not even mentioning God :laugh:

Hahaha that meme - superb response 👌

Quick Reply