Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Book on Heysel

Read 1652 times
      bobbyrogers
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 17 posts |
      Book on Heysel
      May 21, 2022 04:08:05 pm
      I read an interesting e-book about Heysel. It’s written by a Blue and he clearly covers all angles. It’s called “Heysel Stadium Brussels: European Football’s Darkest Hour.” Definitely worth a read.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Book on Heysel
      Reply #1: May 22, 2022 07:48:23 am
      I read an interesting e-book about Heysel. It’s written by a Blue and he clearly covers all angles. It’s called “Heysel Stadium Brussels: European Football’s Darkest Hour.” Definitely worth a read.

Some elaboration would be a good idea perhaps mate, like what’s the name of the author, what angles does he cover, is it purely from his Perspective as a ‘Bitter’ of how they continue to blame us for them missing out winning in Europe potentially, is it truthful, does it give a honest and fair description of what actually went on and why, you will know all of this if you have actually read it, and not just copied the description of the e-book from the website I googled ?

I read a book about World War Two, it’s written by a soldier, it’s called ‘World War Two’, lots of ppl died, definitely worth a read !  :f_tongueincheek:

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2: May 22, 2022 11:00:26 am

Well if there was anyone who knew everything that happened at Heysel, it would be a F***ing blue!!
      MatD
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 10, 2022 11:53:58 am
      Paul McCallam is the author.

I’ve read about a tenth of it and am reserving judgement. The opening elements around crowd behaviour and how “ordinary” fans get caught up in collective madness, are very academic and interesting.

Just how much of this book is driven by a desire to preach, I’m not sure yet. Certainly the author has acknowledged the many issues with the stadium, police, Rome in 84 and others. Similarly he doesn’t shy away from asking why some fans won’t acknowledge any blame.

It’s early days with the book for me and will be keen to see how it plays out. So far I’m disappointed that one obvious point is overlooked - this is described as the forgotten football tragedy and yet we as Liverpool fans are not allowed to forget it, not least by other fans. Despite the litany of incidents in the 70s and 80s by most clubs, we get to carry the weight of shame for all football fans, because of that night.

Nobody wants to sit around talking about their most shameful moments.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #4: Jun 10, 2022 10:05:41 pm
      Paul McCallam is the author.

I’ve read about a tenth of it and am reserving judgement. The opening elements around crowd behaviour and how “ordinary” fans get caught up in collective madness, are very academic and interesting.

Just how much of this book is driven by a desire to preach, I’m not sure yet. Certainly the author has acknowledged the many issues with the stadium, police, Rome in 84 and others. Similarly he doesn’t shy away from asking why some fans won’t acknowledge any blame.

It’s early days with the book for me and will be keen to see how it plays out. So far I’m disappointed that one obvious point is overlooked - this is described as the forgotten football tragedy and yet we as Liverpool fans are not allowed to forget it, not least by other fans. Despite the litany of incidents in the 70s and 80s by most clubs, we get to carry the weight of shame for all football fans, because of that night.

Nobody wants to sit around talking about their most shameful moments.

I'll be very interested to read this, I was at Heysel that fateful night and Rome the year before, I've never forgotten it and it took me a long time to start going to matches again afterwards.
      MatD
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #5: Jun 10, 2022 11:20:20 pm
      I'll be very interested to read this, I was at Heysel that fateful night and Rome the year before, I've never forgotten it and it took me a long time to start going to matches again afterwards.

Reading more of it, there’s an interesting section about how styles of policing affect crowds. Given what we experienced in Paris (I was at the fanzone but not the match) the French have a lot to learn.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Jun 11, 2022 10:31:15 am

I'd be interested in your opinion if you get the chance to read it.

Obviously we are not blameless but it could've happened to anyone of a number of teams throughout Europe in that time period. There have been numerous football related disasters down the years. But many in and out of authority played the blame games and had us in their sights from the start.

Then the tribal element kicks in with the chant.."It's never your fault" and plenty of chants with outright malice built in. Very often it takes a period of time before the prejudice clears and the truth emerges. But a lot of dirt that gets thrown, sticks.
      « Last Edit: Jun 11, 2022 10:38:31 am by Harrisimo »
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #7: Jun 11, 2022 05:23:55 pm
      I read a book a few years ago called Two Tribes. It's mainly about the 86 season and surrounds Liverpool and Everton and the lead up to the FA Cup, but it touches a lot on Heysel, the state of the city at that time, and a little on West Ham too. Cool book.

For someone who doesn't like in the UK, it was a great insight into the politics of Thatcher and the city's culture
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #8: Jun 11, 2022 06:06:00 pm
      I doubt I could read this book. Anything to do with heysel and Hillsborough upsets me greatly. Just a horrible tragedy this this club will have to live with forever.

It could and should have been avoided.
      MatD
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 11, 2022 06:48:28 pm
      I read a book a few years ago called Two Tribes. It's mainly about the 86 season and surrounds Liverpool and Everton and the lead up to the FA Cup, but it touches a lot on Heysel, the state of the city at that time, and a little on West Ham too. Cool book.

For someone who doesn't like in the UK, it was a great insight into the politics of Thatcher and the city's culture

There was a TV documentary too which was excellent.

I’ve also read “There she goes” which covers Liverpool at the time of Thatcher in great detail and helps lay out what was going on in the city at the time.

Quick Reply