Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Wolves

Alisson Becker
      16 (25%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (4.7%)
      Ibrahima Konate
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      7 (10.9%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (1.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (7.8%)
      Naby Keita
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.6%)
      Luis Diaz
      6 (9.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      22 (34.4%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mo Salah
      2 (3.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Liverpool 3-1 Wolves: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 20899 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,113 posts | 2131 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Wolves: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: May 22, 2022 06:14:39 pm
      Leicester away bar far the worst performance in the league this season. One more goal against Brighton,Spurs or Brentford...I get it, but at least that's part of the game, missing chances, goalies having a blinder etc...BUT you can't forgive the officials denying Everton a penalty..make no mistake, those 2 points gifted to City WIN them the league

They all contribute but don't get too hung up on a dreadful referee call in their match against Everton.

On the flip side, I can think back to Brighton at home and Curtis Jones just allowing Trossard to ghost by him from deep while Jones just looks on continuing his afternoon trot. Miniscule moments, decisions that when we aggregate, cost us. So as much as a bad call in a match that favours City does count, you still have the opportunity to negate those errors by minimising/stamping out the ones that are on us earlier on. City had far fewer of those moments earlier on in the season and that's what counts for them now.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #622: May 22, 2022 06:14:50 pm
      2 90+ seasons as runners up is very unfortunate. Never thought we will win the league after the Spurs draw.. But those first 60 or 70 mins today gave me a lot of hope and that is gut wrenching
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #623: May 22, 2022 06:15:01 pm
      I don't know but this hurts more than three years ago. Not sure why.

Because last time we never really had much hope, if I recall Brighton scored and whilst we were all celebrating it City equalised

Going to just head off for a while now, feeling absolutely gutted, especially to lose out to a club and manager that I have absolutely no respect for, to my mind they are just complete cheats and it really sticks that during a time with our greatest ever squad we aren’t winning all the trophies (especially the league) that we deserve
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #624: May 22, 2022 06:15:05 pm
      Great effort from the boys to make up a 14 point gap from January to push Citeh right to the end of the season. Disappointing that it in the end it wasn't enough but that's the way it went.

Hopefully we can use to as motivation for next season to make sure we don't dig ourselves in the same hole again.

As far as the game today we looked very leggy and tired for long periods of the match. I know starting off on the back foot with that terrible error by Konate made things tough on us but we grinded our way through to do our job. Also happy for see Salah get a goal and golden boot, hopefully will get him some confidence going into the game in Paris.

Gutted for Thiago, I know he walked off on his own and hopefully it was precaution to take him off to play some part in the final but it did not look good

__Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,944 posts | 452 
      Reply #625: May 22, 2022 06:15:21 pm
      Fukn gutted would have been better if Villa went 3-0 in first ten instead of that sh*t

Stevie G absolutely cursed in this competition. Penny for his true thoughts there.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,243 posts | 1112 
      Reply #626: May 22, 2022 06:15:33 pm
      That hand ball that WASNT called on Dias is huge. Who knows in Richarlson puts away, no easy task, but still...... There's no more blatant handball than that, and it wasn't called. Even admitted their mistake the following day.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #627: May 22, 2022 06:15:48 pm
      I honestly feel if we started with the team that ended the match but with Thiago still on wed have been out of sight and potentially ruined city's heads.
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 879 posts | 115 
      Reply #628: May 22, 2022 06:17:05 pm
      God bless you, Divock Origi
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,131 posts | 83 
      Reply #629: May 22, 2022 06:18:15 pm
      If FSG would just spend much closer to what those City sheikhs spend. But they will not since it is purely business for them while those Sheikhs also have glory in mind and in this way Pep is right to argue that City just wants it more. Imagine giving Klopp those funds.  :o

One cannot overemphasize what Jürgen did with this squad compared to City‘s. This is why you cannot measure Jürgen with titles only. Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish - they never had such a goliath in front of them like now with City.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,113 posts | 2131 
      Reply #630: May 22, 2022 06:19:11 pm
      Great effort from the boys to make up a 14 point gap from January to push Citeh right to the end of the season. Disappointing that it in the end it wasn't enough but that's the way it went.

Hopefully we can use to as motivation for next season to make sure we don't dig ourselves in the same hole again.

As far as the game today we looked very leggy and tired for long periods of the match. I know starting off on the back foot with that terrible error by Konate made things tough on us but we grinded our way through to do our job. Also happy for see Salah get a goal and golden boot, hopefully will get him some confidence going into the game in Paris.

Gutted for Thiago, I know he walked off on his own and hopefully it was precaution to take him off to play some part in the final but it did not look good

Awful to make mistake so early on. From that point on you're chasing with absolutely no control or care for a rapidly emptying fuel gauge. Such a critical error in such an important game! No wonder we looked gassed at the end!

He has had a couple of duff moments, like the one against Benfica away. He needs to stamp those out if he's going to be close to the level of Virgil.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,062 posts | 547 
      Reply #631: May 22, 2022 06:19:14 pm
      Frantic, nervy game as you would expect. We gave it everything and won, so no regrets.

Michael Oliver only adding 26 seconds for the 2 minutes City players were down injured in injury time is one last example of the dodgy officiating they have had in their favour this season - the Everton game being the most blatant (I also can't forget that astonishing performance by Paul Tierney and, even worse, Chris Kavanagh in our first draw against Spurs).

Hey ho, we gave it all we had and can't do any more. Been a great season - just hope we can round it off with another European Cup against the cheating cu*ts of Real Madrid.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,944 posts | 452 
      Reply #632: May 22, 2022 06:20:54 pm
      City are a tiny bit more refined in what they do at times.

We were lucky to win today playing the way we did. Wolves if getting their final ball right could and should have scored 3 or 4. No idea how their game went but Villa playing 2 games in 4 days were always going to get tired.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,243 posts | 1112 
      Reply #633: May 22, 2022 06:23:30 pm
      I watched both games. Tbf, no one thought that Villa would be up with 20 to go, especially by 2. On the other hand, Gerrard taking off Coutinho and Bundia completely changed the game. There was absolutely no fear of a counter at that point, and you could argue that leaving those 2 on with 9 men playing forward at that point was suicide for City. He pulled them and went defensive, and City had nothing to worry about. Leaving those guys on to keep that back line honest was key, and Zenchenko really impacted the game once they went off.

Hindsight is 20/20
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,131 posts | 83 
      Reply #634: May 22, 2022 06:24:35 pm
      Stevie G absolutely cursed in this competition. Penny for his true thoughts there.

What do you expect. City has a £ 1.000.000.000 squad, Villa maybe £ 100.000.000. The gap is just too big, therefore these teams like City can still win despite a bad day or score 3 goals in 5 minutes. Gerrard can only park the bus, hope for some lucky counters and pray, just like all the other coaches bar 2-3 teams. This is why we need a spending limit or draft system.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #635: May 22, 2022 06:25:06 pm
      Amazing just watching the camera on Jürgen there.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #636: May 22, 2022 06:26:05 pm
      Boss hurting inside…
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #637: May 22, 2022 06:26:17 pm
      92 points 2 defeats not much more you can do other than to spend £billions and FSG aren't in for that
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,475 posts | 823 
      Reply #638: May 22, 2022 06:26:42 pm
      They all contribute but don't get too hung up on a dreadful referee call in their match against Everton.

On the flip side, I can think back to Brighton at home and Curtis Jones just allowing Trossard to ghost by him from deep while Jones just looks on continuing his afternoon trot. Miniscule moments, decisions that when we aggregate, cost us. So as much as a bad call in a match that favours City does count, you still have the opportunity to negate those errors by minimising/stamping out the ones that are on us earlier on. City had far fewer of those moments earlier on in the season and that's what counts for them now.
      Ref's get it wrong now and again, they're human and can't see everything..and that's why VAR was brought in. He can review the incident over and over. It minimises mistakes, but at Everton even he doesn't make the call. The PGMOL later admit it should have been a pen..it was a pen, not given. That can only be down to bias, either conscious or not.
      It matters, a ref making a wrong call actually influences the decision of the VAR operator.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #639: May 22, 2022 06:29:33 pm
      Virgil,Mo and Fab in the Final team in Paris this will seem insignificant next Saturday night when we bag Number 7
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,983 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #640: May 22, 2022 06:29:36 pm
      If FSG would just spend much closer to what those City sheikhs spend. But they will not since it is purely business for them while those Sheikhs also have glory in mind and in this way Pep is right to argue that City just wants it more. Imagine giving Klopp those funds.  :o

One cannot overemphasize what Jürgen did with this squad compared to City‘s. This is why you cannot measure Jürgen with titles only. Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish - they never had such a goliath in front of them like now with City.

Oh Shut up you f***in Tart !!
      You spout as much sh*te as Merson !!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,932 posts | 826 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #641: May 22, 2022 06:33:15 pm
      What do you expect. City has a £ 1.000.000.000 squad, Villa maybe £ 100.000.000. The gap is just too big, therefore these teams like City can still win despite a bad day or score 3 goals in 5 minutes. Gerrard can only park the bus, hope for some lucky counters and pray, just like all the other coaches bar 2-3 teams. This is why we need a spending limit or draft system.

City have dropped points to lesser teams, not sure the money has anything to do with them turning around that game.

Pep set it up wrong corrected it at HT and his players showed their mentality and Villa's didn't, simple as.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,704 posts | 7164 
      Reply #642: May 22, 2022 06:33:46 pm
      The reality is I dont think many if any of us thought City would lose today and Villa going 2-0 up wa sunexpected and it was great for a while but I said at home I expect City to come back and win. I am not down beat at all 92 points is insane 2 defeats is insane and next week we get to rewrite the wrong of 2018 and next season sort City out
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 879 posts | 115 
      Reply #643: May 22, 2022 06:34:04 pm

I’m not a big fan of FSG but at this point, I think our squad is better than City’s, or at worst is neck and neck.

Failing to beat City and dropping a two goal lead to Brighton at home are the things that cost us.

Quick Reply