Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Wolves

Alisson Becker
      16 (25%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (4.7%)
      Ibrahima Konate
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      7 (10.9%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      1 (1.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (7.8%)
      Naby Keita
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.6%)
      Luis Diaz
      6 (9.4%)
      Sadio Mane
      22 (34.4%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mo Salah
      2 (3.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Liverpool 3-1 Wolves: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 19307 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 Wolves: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #736: May 23, 2022 11:15:12 am
      There's no currency in blaming Villa for the result, quite the opposite, they took the game to City and for a while gave us hope and belief.
      There's no denying that conceding 3 in the final 15 was so improbable is why it hurts so much.

It'll hurt for a while as we (or anyone else) are unlikely to get that close again to a potential quadruple.

All blame on match officials, mostly VAR at Everton

Soon as city got one back, you knew that was that.

I love what Klopp said at the end. If you want to win big you’ve got to be prepared to lose big.
      « Last Edit: May 23, 2022 11:45:09 am by LondonRed83 »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #737: May 23, 2022 11:22:16 am
      League wasn't lost yesterday, 1 or 2 too many draws from us, and a couple of ropey ref decisions city got.

But I say again 92 points is usually enough to win any league anywhere in the world.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #738: May 23, 2022 12:21:03 pm
      You don't sub a player that just scored a goal who also happens to be the best player in your team.

Tactics are an important part of football but so is momentum. Phil had just scored a hell of a goal and had his morale through the roof, not only because of the goal but the meaning behind it.

We'll never know if Villa wouldn't have atleast tied the match but it was not a wise move at all.

When he went off I instantly had flashbacks from the UCL final we won against Tottenham, when Pochettino decided not to put Lucas among the first eleven despite the whole team expecting it due to good form and him being the hero in their previous game. Thankfully that time it was in our favor.

Villa led 0-2 and Coutinho is not a good defensive player. Yes, you can reason like you do, but it is not a mistake in the very sense of the word to sub him for another good defensive player. Again, if City scores 3 goals with Coutinho on the field doing nothing or worse anyone would be blaming Stevie for not subbing him. Gerrard did not do some bonehead coaching, hurting us with gross negligence, that is all I wanna say.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #739: May 23, 2022 12:23:56 pm
      League wasn't lost yesterday, 1 or 2 too many draws from us, and a couple of ropey ref decisions city got.

But I say again 92 points is usually enough to win any league anywhere in the world.
      I will say it again and again, conceding goals, missing sitters, goalies having their game of their lives...this is football week in week out.
      Refs can and do miss things for a whole catalogue of reasons...again all part of the game, but VAR, having reviewed an incident numerous times have little excuse to get it wrong....but they did get it wrong and have admitted getting it wrong with the blatant handball at Everton.
      That decision almost certainly gifted City 2 points, the points that denied us the top prize.
      Why did the VAR operator get it wrong?...It's all to do with unconscious bias. First up the ref hasn't called it, so that has an influence, the profile of the team involved has an influence, the time of the incident has a influence. The main thing is the VAR operator knows the ref's first decision and is under a lot of pressure not to over rule him. This is why in criminal law fingerprint evidence is looked at by a second expert who can't know what the first expert concluded...so as to reduce bias.
      Of course had we taken just one more chance at home to Spurs then none of this would matter..but that's football, and that my friends IS a big, big difference..the football stuff I can take, but the admitted error....well I just won't
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #740: May 23, 2022 12:52:08 pm

92 points would have won the league 24 times out of 27 apparently. We are just incredible a force to be reckoned with looking forward to Paris
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #741: May 23, 2022 01:02:39 pm
      Indeed.

for both posts above. :)
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #742: May 23, 2022 01:02:39 pm
      Soon as city got one back, you knew that was that.

I love what Klopp said at the end. If you want to win big you’ve got to be prepared to lose big.

Indeed.
      Stevie G the legend
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts | 15 
      Reply #743: May 23, 2022 01:23:06 pm
      Gundogan sneaking into the back post.  That was the plan. Villa defender failed to read that. Naive  :mad:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #744: May 23, 2022 01:33:22 pm
      Taking off strikers or attacking midfield players who had contributed to getting you 2:0 up, to be replaced by defenders who you had recently stated, were not good enough and need replacing sooner rather than later, is suicidal. 🤷‍♂️
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #745: May 23, 2022 02:52:38 pm
      Taking off strikers or attacking midfield players who had contributed to getting you 2:0 up, to be replaced by defenders who you had recently stated, were not good enough and need replacing sooner rather than later, is suicidal. 🤷‍♂️
      Perhaps you are right and if so then Steven Gerrard made a mistake...we all do, it's called life. Obviously he didn't purposely want City to score 3 late goals.
      A team that hasn't scored a goal in over 70 minutes is statistically massively unlikely to score 3 in 15 minutes ( let alone in 5 mins) and all of us armed with that information, knowing what it mean't amplified it to even more unlikely. But unlikely things happen in football, who'd have bet on Real Madrid 4-2 down going into injury time?...or us beating Barcelona 4-0.
      If as we all expected yesterday morning City battered Villa 6 nil none of us would have been screaming they threw the towel in. it's just that they got 2 up and our dream was almost a reality.
      It's painful but we can't keep blaming Villa.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #746: May 23, 2022 03:09:12 pm
      we have  had some incredibly difficult tense games in the past few weeks no more so than yesterday which was 90 mins of madness heavy metal football.I think this will help us next week unlike 2019 when the long break took the edge of players form a nice recovery week will see the lads chomping at the bit to take on Real Madrid.
      Absolutely amazed at how dim other fans are, Wolves fans who haven't won anything since Emlyn Hughes played for them and Everton fans delerious because City won the league even though they scraped home and we have won two cups and one to come they find solace in  what they perceive as our failure. Everton think they are a big club ????.
      Stevie G the legend
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts | 15 
      Reply #747: May 23, 2022 03:19:00 pm
      we have  had some incredibly difficult tense games in the past few weeks no more so than yesterday which was 90 mins of madness heavy metal football.I think this will help us next week unlike 2019 when the long break took the edge of players form a nice recovery week will see the lads chomping at the bit to take on Real Madrid.
      Absolutely amazed at how dim other fans are, Wolves fans who haven't won anything since Emlyn Hughes played for them and Everton fans delerious because City won the league even though they scraped home and we have won two cups and one to come they find solace in  what they perceive as our failure. Everton think they are a big club ????.

You couldn't have put it any better.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #748: May 23, 2022 03:19:17 pm
      How flat has everyone been feeling today? I feel like a bouncy castle that has had all it's air let out!

I'm still processing how close we potentially came to winning it. It's only just properly sinking in.

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #749: May 23, 2022 03:33:53 pm
      How flat has everyone been feeling today? I feel like a bouncy castle that has had all it's air let out!

I'm still processing how close we potentially came to winning it. It's only just properly sinking in.
      It's because we were so close that the depth of despair is so great.
      We'll all feel a lot better next Saturday if we prevail.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #750: May 23, 2022 03:48:48 pm

Yep. Still fuming at how "professional manager"/"super fan" Gerrard let it down in the final 15 minutes (all within 5 minutes) when all he had to do was stop City from scoring THREE times!! THREE times! 15 minutes to stop 3 goals.  :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah:

Why couldn't he do it?!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #751: May 23, 2022 03:55:12 pm
      Yep. Still fuming at how "professional manager"/"super fan" Gerrard let it down in the final 15 minutes (all within 5 minutes) when all he had to do was stop City from scoring THREE times!! THREE times! 15 minutes to stop 3 goals.  :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah:

Why couldn't he do it?!

I didn’t see it your way Dan. I thought SG put defender on trying to protect the lead, in doing that giving you lot! better chance of winning the league.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #752: May 23, 2022 04:17:27 pm

Why couldn't he do it?!
      It hurts as much today as yesterday
      City fans at Real Madrid " all we had to do was stop them scoring twice in about 3 minutes"...Shi* happens
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #753: May 23, 2022 04:22:19 pm

Why couldn't he do it?!

Very little he could do about Mings poor clearance or Diaz and Ramsey being positionally poor . They had a real go at it as you would expect others would do .
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #754: May 23, 2022 04:29:52 pm

Why couldn't he do it?!

Truth be known, it is probably hurting Stevie as well.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #755: May 23, 2022 05:13:00 pm
      Truth be known, it is probably hurting Stevie as well.

Absolutely mate, you can bet he is gutted as well.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #756: May 23, 2022 05:16:17 pm

I’m feeling like sh*t bro. But hopefully this Saturday, and number 7 will take this pain away.

We were so ffnn close to number 20.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #757: May 23, 2022 05:19:59 pm
      I’m feeling like sh*t bro. But hopefully this Saturday, and number 7 will take this pain away.

We were so ffnn close to number 20.

I am really not that bothered it was City's to lose really and we can sit back and reflect on how £1billion gets you a point more than a club who has spent £700mil less and they get to their 3rd CL final in 5 years. Can't wait for Saturday its going to be epic.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #758: May 23, 2022 05:26:53 pm
      I am really not that bothered it was City's to lose really and we can sit back and reflect on how £1billion gets you a point more than a club who has spent £700mil less and they get to their 3rd CL final in 5 years. Can't wait for Saturday its going to be epic.

Bang on mate

Quick Reply