Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)

Read 27750 times
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,194 posts | 1205 
      Re: Cody Gakpo Player Thread (F)
      Reply #345: Mar 17, 2024 11:35:27 pm
      Was hoping he could make just some kind of impact, a bit of decent hold up play, something to at least give us give us an outlet, but he did absolutely nothing of note. Not singling him as such out as Diaz and Nunez were culpable of a lot of very sloppy and ill-judged play that also proved costly but Gakpo was a shadow when he came on when he needed a strong presence to see us through. I suppose it feels more frustrating because Jota is out.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 675 posts | 130 
      Reply #346: Mar 18, 2024 12:51:27 am
      He wasnā€™t really ā€œtheā€ problem today if you like but itā€™s clear to me heā€™s just not that good, for the type of player he is itā€™s never gonna work for a team that is built on high intensity. No point waiting around in the hope that heā€™ll suddenly change either, because he wonā€™t. Cut our losses in the summer and be done with it.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #347: Mar 18, 2024 03:58:35 pm
      Replacing Salah with Gakpo was like replacing Batman with Mr Bean.

Pitiful.

It wasn't a good sub was it, Salah shouldn't have played anywhere 90 minutes on Thursday. I know tey got a bit caught out with an injury to another player when they were looking to bring him off but the game really changed when he went off yesrerday. He should have played 45 on Thursday and then been available for a full(ish) game yesterday.

As for Gakpo, he's still feeling his way a little bit but i wouldn't give up on him yet. He's effectively our 5th choice of 5 and he's been fairly productuve in terms of goals and assists since he arrived at the club and it's not like he cost a fortune either. I know people get angry when we lose but you simply can't win every game, it never works like that.

We don't (and haven't lost many) games this season so i'd call for some calm
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6353 
      Reply #348: Mar 18, 2024 04:06:23 pm
      He's had his ups and downs, but seems the narrative is getting a bit over the top at the moment. There's plenty that need to have a look at themselves after that performance yesterday, not the least of which is JĆ¼rgen Klopp starting all the way back to playing a strong squad (some for 90 minutes) in a game we had a 5 or 6 goal differential (until it got really bad). Nunez wasn't great, Mo wasn't great, Endo allowed a really easy turn and shot for a goal, Quansah, Gomez, Salah, you can keep naming...there were plenty that weren't up for it yesterday, not sure why Cody is taking the lion's share of the blame. He's still young and developing and I for one am fine with giving him some time under Klopp and hopefully under Xabi this summer.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,137 posts | 1081 
      Reply #349: Mar 18, 2024 04:30:20 pm
      I'm very critical of Gakpos play yesterday, and for a while now. However, I still have to believe there's a player there. He looks really slow lately (not that he's ever been fast) and his reading of the game has stunk. He doesn't seem to read and make those runs like he should, and his pressing is hit or miss, but not intense like Nunez from the front or Jones from the middle.

Seems to be a tweener. With our midfield depth now he should get time on the wings. He doesn't work through the middle. We bought him as a successful winger. I dunno if he will be that or not, but I would like to see him get a run in his natural position before I give him too much grief. Also like to see him get a decent rest. Played a lot recently
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6353 
      Reply #350: Mar 18, 2024 05:53:24 pm
      Also it's been said that Cody believes his best (and favored position) is LW. So whenever he's used through the middle or he's dropping deep, it's probably not his preferred.  You still have to perform no matter where the boss puts you, but it took MacAllister awhile to start excelling in that 6 role at the start of the year.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,194 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #351: Mar 18, 2024 07:50:59 pm
      Also it's been said that Cody believes his best (and favored position) is LW. So whenever he's used through the middle or he's dropping deep, it's probably not his preferred.  You still have to perform no matter where the boss puts you, but it took MacAllister awhile to start excelling in that 6 role at the start of the year.

He was so bad yesterday I think playing at Liverpools level is a step too much for him
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,687 posts | 3363 
      Reply #352: Mar 20, 2024 01:05:07 pm
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,137 posts | 1081 
      Reply #353: Mar 21, 2024 01:12:31 am
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #354: Apr 05, 2024 05:11:49 pm
      Make that 14 goals this season. Great header last night. Well in Cody. Keep a few quiet for a couple of days at least.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,137 posts | 1081 
      Reply #355: Apr 05, 2024 06:13:44 pm
      Still think he can play an important role the rest of the season. Just hope it's a positive. With a fitter squad we can use him correctly
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 825 posts | 295 
      Reply #356: Apr 05, 2024 07:09:29 pm
      Still think he can play an important role the rest of the season. Just hope it's a positive. With a fitter squad we can use him correctly

We are probably going to have midweek games for the rest of the season if we progress in Europa league. Probably need to win almost every game; we will need  everyone in the squad. Cody will get plenty of minutes and can make a big contribution.

Quick Reply