Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

How do we react?

Read 13423 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      How do we react?
      May 29, 2022 11:03:27 am
      Jürgen's words a short while back ring very true right now. 'If we' re prepared to win big then we must be prepared to lose big'. And boy, have we lost big the last week or so! Losing out in the league by a point is hard but a European Cup us always harder. While the former was never in our hands the latter was.

So what happens over the summer?

What sort of reaction will we see from this group of players next season when they come back fresh and fit once more?

Transfer wise - do we expect much action beyond the arrival of Carvalho and if so, what positions and who? Does last night emphasise the need for a big headline signing who will take things in a different direction?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Re: How do we react?
      Reply #1: May 29, 2022 11:20:12 am
      Was Diaz brought in earlier than expected due to Mane going and preparing for that left side . If that's the case maybe someone in the middle required . Another midfielder definately and back up for Trent
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2: May 29, 2022 11:55:59 am
      For me like most season it's small tweaks.

As good as all our players are, especially the front players there is slight issues still in tight games as we learned in all finals.

I think a proper number 8 and a number 9 would be all I'd go for.

Don't shoot me down but I also think one of the front three could move on to accommodate and also just to kind of refresh or reboot if you like.

The Kane talk seems to be still about but I'm not a fan at all but it's definitely the profile we need to go for. A striker who can also do the Firmino bits as well.
      « Last Edit: May 29, 2022 12:37:45 pm by srslfc »
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #3: May 29, 2022 12:34:31 pm
      I think srslfc is on point. We don't need a revolution, just a few small tweaks. In terms of transfers we do need a No 8 goalscoring midfielder. Someone who can commit defenders and drive forward, who can take occasional long range shots. At the moment, Ox i believe will be leaving and Keita has improved but still does not offer much in goals. Definitely a difference between us and Man City - their midfield can all chip in goals and more spread out.

And yes a No 9 should be considered. Its not acceptable we have been in 3 finals and not scored in normal time. And our goals to shots ratio is pretty grim reading. Who the hell do we go after if we want a traditional no 9? I'm not convinced by Nunez yet, his close control is pretty bad. Kane would be better and less of a gamble, but has had a few niggling injuries.

Nkunku is not a traditional 9 but I think he could play in the middle.

Unfortunately there is no easy answer for either position.

I'm curious to see how much Carvalho will be involved next season. I still think we need an extra in the forward line with Origi and possibly Taki leaving.
      Harrisimo

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: May 29, 2022 12:36:02 pm
      The front 6 needs to be appraised with serious intent. Lot will depend on Mane. Been fantastic for us but I think he's on the other side of the hill rather than over it and the club must consider that. Same could be said of Mo.

Meantime the fallout from the UEFA/French screw up will probably dominate the debate over the next few days.

UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #5: May 29, 2022 12:51:30 pm
      We have to react. We have too many positives to take with us not to.

I think a right back to challenge or allow Trent to rest would be good.

A goal scoring midfielder would be nice.

And if one of strikers leave then a replacement for them. Klopp seems to like martinelli so wouldn’t be surprised to see us going for him.

Wouldn’t mind seeing keita leave. For one reason or another he just can’t dominate games.

IrishRed86
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts | 37 
      Reply #6: May 29, 2022 12:59:01 pm
      We will bounce back. The squad needs freshening up though.

In Jürgen we trust
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #7: May 29, 2022 12:59:07 pm
      F**k UEFA banners for most Champions League games next season.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #8: May 29, 2022 01:07:25 pm
      No team that's a few goals away from a quadruple needs a major overhaul. We do need a refresh, and the likes of Konate, Diaz and Carvalho will play a big role in that. Personally would echo calls for a number 8 (Bellingham please...) and a striker who can predominantly play through the middle, especially if we do lose Mane this summer.

Also; this. Lots of this.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #9: May 29, 2022 01:20:21 pm
      For me like most season it's small tweaks.

As good as all our players are, especially the front players there is slight issues still in tight games as we learned in all finals.

I think a proper number 8 and a number 9 would be all I'd go for.

Don't shoot me down but I also think one of the front three could move on to accommodate and also just to kind of refresh or reboot if you like.

The Kane talk seems to be still about but I'm not a fan at all but it's definitely the profile we need to go for. A striker who can also do the Firmino bits as well.

I definitely back the idea of more focus through the middle. A number 8 and number 9 that would refocus things through the middle would be great.

Mane's done a great job as number 9 but chatting with my brother we wondered if that was another reason why Salah hasn't done the job second half of this season. I may be wrong but I feel that with Bobby, Mo has more space to move infield into the box. You kind of saw that when Bobby came on last night (a bit too late into the game I feel). He's spent so much time tethered to the touchline on the far right in recent months.

I wouldn't be surprised if Diaz is drilled over the summer to play more centrally as well.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: May 29, 2022 01:32:37 pm
      stop Spurs scoring we win the League and Real's fluke goal from a shot cross gets stopped we needed to score 1 more goal its such fine margins at this level. It would have been interesting to see Divok out there last night but so many times Trent and Robbo had nobody to cross to.
      Familiarity breeds contempt and maybe we have a few like that who are not as hungry as they should be or once were. Scoring goals isnt a problem its just scoring goals in the big big games .
      We have a massive star in the making with young Konate so defence is solid and young Nico is good cover as well as Joe Gomez.
      Midfield might need a bit of a different feel about it and be a bit more adventurous.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #11: May 29, 2022 01:34:31 pm

Suddenly that Super League doesn't seem like a bad idea... just to spite UEFA entirely. A nasty, vindictive and shambic organisation.

The Camila Cabello performance amidst all of it was one of the biggest farces I've ever seen. What total contempt they have for the fans.

That gimp of a Slovenian lawyer who heads it all up should get fu**ed. The c**t needs decking.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #12: May 29, 2022 01:36:10 pm

I was happy with the first two words "F**k UEFA"
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #13: May 29, 2022 01:39:43 pm
      Suddenly that Super League doesn't seem like a bad idea... just to spite UEFA entirely. A nasty, vindictive and shambic organisation.

The Camila Cabello performance amidst all of it was one of the biggest farces I've ever seen. What total contempt they have for the fans.

That gimp of a Slovenian lawyer who heads it all up should get fu**ed. The c**t needs decking.
      [/quote
      it was a Latin/Spanish performance wtf was it about and then she complained we sang through her performance as if we were there to watch that crap.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #14: May 29, 2022 01:47:55 pm
      Walt - Neither Real Madrid or Liverpool deserve to see THEIR occasion hijacked by a sub standard pop star to further her own corporate gifted career.

For her to come out and criticise fans goes to show what an incredibly self absorbed, out of touch talentless poser she is. Utterly cringe worthy.
      « Last Edit: May 29, 2022 01:53:48 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: May 29, 2022 01:52:32 pm
      Expect the FSG thread to be busy again over the summer.
      Will see what they will finance.

Can see a decent few leaving this summer, Origi, Ox, maybe Taki, Gomez.
      Then from the more established guys, including guys who's contracts have a year left, will Mo, Mane, Naby all be here next season.
      Should bring in a few bob from outgoings.

We saw what a lift Diaz gave us when he came in. MOTM a fair few times.

We won two cups which is great, but lost out on the big two by the finest of margins.
      The lads will go away and recharge and come back ready to go, I've no doubt about that.

But we need to strengthen/freshen.  Citeh have Haaland on the way. They're the target, only a hair away from them being the opposition in the CL final too.

Jürgen is staying which is absolutely brilliant, so at least we will still in very good hands :)
      Harrisimo

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #16: May 29, 2022 02:16:06 pm
      Walt - Neither Real Madrid or Liverpool deserve to see THEIR occasion hijacked by a sub standard pop star to further her own corporate gifted career.

For her to come out and criticise fans goes to show what an incredibly self absorbed, out of touch talentless poser she is. Utterly cringe worthy.

This bullsh*t. Well pissed off with all this build up malarrkie. Trying to hijack the bleedin' final. It's all for the gin soaked hangers on from UEFA  and the smart arse corporate publicity peddlers.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #17: May 29, 2022 02:41:23 pm
      Mitrovic at Fulham wouldn’t be a bad shout. 27 I think, and certainly knows where the old onion bag is.
      That would do for mane. What about Mo if he doesn’t sign ?
      Sell him or let him run his contract down and get a big fat zero 🏵
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18: May 29, 2022 02:46:05 pm
      Mitrovic at Fulham wouldn’t be a bad shout. 27 I think, and certainly knows where the old onion bag is.
      That would do for mane. What about Mo if he doesn’t sign ?
      Sell him or let him run his contract down and get a big fat zero 🏵

not in the Prem though maybe more experienced now though.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #19: May 29, 2022 04:15:01 pm
      Would imagine all the front 3 we have grown so used to will be elsewhere in one year
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #20: May 29, 2022 04:17:57 pm
      I think it’s safe to say that it’s probably time to reshuffle, but that will depend on how much dollar we can use on new faces, and how much we make selling those we need to move on,  I can easily name 3 or 4 who need shipping out, the front three originals in Mo Mane & Bobby are probably coming to the end of their tenure, but not just yet,

I think we’re ok at the back, maybe a RWB to keep Trent honest, not sure Neco will return, and Joe is only temporary so maybe someone like Lamptey to come in, Midfield is the weakest part for me, with Jimmy, Hendo, and Thiago already over 30, so fresher legs is a must, Bellingham would be ideal but will BvB sell now Goldilocks is joining the fraudsters, still not convinced  Curtis can take another step up and become the player we all want to see, it’s far too early for us to decide on Harvey, he’s been managed properly and will be released when Jürgen feels he’s ready,

Up top needs boosting too, young lad Carvahal from Fulham is full of promise so he has a free season for me to acclimatise/bed in, I don’t think we need to ship out any of Mo, Mane or Bobby just yet, but we might need to look at a different way of attacking, so maybe a Kane type striker will give us that, but Kane will cost mega millions being England’s golden boy, so maybe look at Raul Jimenez at Wolves, before his head injury he was banging them in and this season he was getting back to somewhere near his best, he’s what 22 and with our coaching and Jürgen’s nous he could be worth a shout,

This is all pie in the sky hypothetics but food for thought all the same, there isn’t a lot wrong within our squad, just needs freshening up, I don’t think the likes of Ox, Taki, Jimmy, will feature much at all and there is a massive Question mark on Naby lad too, jeez, Naby, so frustrating, there is a player in there, we’ve all seen him, but there’s also his donkey side too, and we really can’t afford hangers on, so perhaps ship him out while he’s worth decent dollar,

With Divock already with Milan that’s 5 players that need replacing, also heard whispering’s of Mane and Bayern M but that’s probably click bait, like Mo he won’t get anything better than he has right now, so why move ?

Nobody seen Diaz come in in January so I’m sure Jürgen has certain targets he would like to work with that none of us are privy too, one thing is for sure though, with him signing a new deal we can be sure the rebuilding continues, and we can all get excited by that alone, it’s already in motion with Diaz, Konate, Harvey, Carvahal already here, and of course perhaps two/ three academy prospects too.

Guess we’ll all have to wait and see what happens in the next 3 Months !!

Y  N  W  A
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #21: May 29, 2022 04:21:38 pm

The c**t wasn’t even singing she mimed the whole time.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #22: May 29, 2022 04:46:47 pm

Well Mane heard you and acted upon it  :f_tongueincheek:

I don't believe last night result alters anything about our transfer strategy for the summer. We were always going to continue with the process of transitioning from the old guard to the new guard.

Think it is simple that new attacker (now that Mane is leaving) and midfielder are on holes that need to be filled. After that it becomes the situation where if a player leaves then we will need to replacement.

Quick Reply