Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

How do we react?

Read 13434 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Re: How do we react?
      Reply #23: May 29, 2022 04:54:58 pm
      Mentally I'm not worried where the squad will be, JĆ¼rgen and the other staff will have that sorted. Last time we lost the title by a point we won it the season after and the last time we lost a CL final we came back and won it the following year.

Player wise there will be a few changes I think. Ox, Taki, Origi and Mane will be off and there must be some questions marks over Naby who hasn't done a great deal to warrant a new contract. Hopefully Gomez and Kelleher are happy with their roles but could understand if they want more playing time. Ideal window would be a number 9, another attacker who's comfortable on the right wing, a powerful quick midfielder and maybe some more natural cover for Trent at RB.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #24: May 29, 2022 05:52:17 pm
      Mentally we'll be fine Klopp won't allow us to feel sorry for ourselves. We need a bit more strength in midfield, we could do with more goals from midfield and as much as we loved Origi we need someone who'll feature more but that depends on what's happening with Sadio.
      More importantly for me we need to get infront of City from day one in the PL and stay there, easy to say but that's the challenge we face, we can do it though I'm sure
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #25: May 29, 2022 05:53:39 pm
      how will we react? just check out our parade .
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #26: May 29, 2022 06:12:35 pm
      Worst thing we could do is overreact. We were only a handful of goals away from a quadruple.

Evolution, not revolution.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #27: May 29, 2022 06:15:17 pm
      'If we' re prepared to win big then we must be prepared to lose big'.

Simples.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #28: May 29, 2022 10:22:07 pm
      we win it next year, simples, and in our favourite place, Istanbul
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #29: May 29, 2022 10:33:58 pm
      With the talk of Mane being off to Bayern, and Mo stating ā€œIā€™ll be here next seasonā€ but no talk of him signing a new contract, I think he may leave next year on a free.
      If that were the case, I think Iā€™d rather keep mane.
      Get a decent wedge for mo now, snd find an out snd out No 9.
      We also deffo need an upgrade in midfield.
      Never been convinced on Naby, and always doubted Curtis could step up to the next level. He currently isnā€™t good enough.
      Clearly need someone a bit more dynamic in there.
      God knows where you find these players at the top level as no doubt most clubs looking for similar talent 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø
      Over to you JĆ¼rgen !
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #30: May 30, 2022 12:17:33 am
      There'll be some changes because every year JĆ¼rgen tweaks something in the way we play as to not become predictable. And given the forward players are the ones we're probably gonna lose this summer, we could change shape and go with the back 3/back 5 that includes Konate, Matip and Van Dijk. I doubt we will change from the 4-3-3 but it's just something I'd like to see us try.

I'd also like us to defend slightly deeper. I know our defensive record is great but actually watching us, our defence is a worry a lot of the time if the opposition get it right. I feel we're far too reliant on VAR rather than defending properly. I understand the logic of it and the pundits constant "high risk high reward" rhetoric but I'd just rather we dropped 10 yards or so further back. Wolves game excluded, we do alright with long balls. But when the opposition can slide the ball through or just dink it over the top for their on-runner, we look lost at times.

Midfield wise, JĆ¼rgen would rather have 7 out of 10 performers every week rather than a possible 10 but also a possible 3 - which is (along with injuries) why Naby doesn't play as much as maybe some would like. So I don't see that changing too much. I don't see us going for the more flamboyant/dynamic central midfielder and instead going for somebody like John McGinn instead. A good solid hand. I hope we see Tyler Morton get a few more chances next season because he impressed immensely during his few outings this time round.

And up top, we've already seen changes to our first choice three three times this season. From Salah-Firmino-Mane to Salah-Jota-Mane to Salah-Mane-Diaz. If Mane is off, then I'd be happy to go with Salah-Jota-Diaz. Jota is a goalscorer and F**k all else. His all round game isn't up to scratch but in the box he scores goals. So if we need somebody to play through the middle, give our number 20 the role. We'll need to bring somebody in either this summer or next and the questions will always be who can replace Mane and/or Salah. Gonna be difficult but we we'll find a way. If Arsenal fail to qualify for the Champions League again next season, I'd be putting a bid in for Saka who has impressed me more than I thought he would this season. And given his contract is up next summer and he's more in and out than he'd probably like, I wouldn't be surprised to see us linked with a return for Raheem Sterling.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #31: May 30, 2022 01:05:48 am
      Thinking we begin preseason right around July 1, just over a month from now. I know the Premier League begins Aug. 6, and we play friendlies in Asia July 12 and 15, so training probably begins June 27 or July 4. We might see 2-3 domestic friendlies before the trip to Asia, then perhaps a week in Austria again afterward. JĆ¼rgen really treasures that time just to get the team away from everyone and just drive his ideas (and ideals) home.

We know JĆ¼rgen prefers to have his business completed by the time the team reports for training camp so we should know of any incomings in the next four weeks. Outgoings might take longer because we drive a hard bargain and the agents seem to love holding things up.

This group has accomplished a lot, but time marches on and we're starting to look a bit old. 
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #32: May 30, 2022 01:11:12 am
      We are going to have a few people leaving, probably a reasonable amount of money coming in and reduced wage bill.
      We have Neco Williams and Philips who will probably complete permanent deals.
      If we also sell Mane, Ox, possibly Taki that is a few people leaving.
      I personally don't think RB cover is a priority. Gomez, Milner, Hendo and, if we have a lot of injuries, Fab can cover at a good level. I think we have been linked to a young Scottish RB, maybe that is a good option.
      There are a lot of posters saying we need a high quality attacking, powerful CM and I think we should focus most of the money in that area. We've never replaced Stevie (we probably never will) but Hendo is getting older and is becoming a squad player, not someone who can play 50+ games per season with lots of energy. None of the other CMs can fill that role.
      Another forward is probably needed. Probably someone who can play a traditional 9 role but also needs to be quick and mobile to fit Klopp's style of play.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #33: May 30, 2022 02:17:51 am
      Don't forget about Conor Bradley. He will probably be included more this season as far as cover at right back goes.

Question: Will Carvalho count as an English player against the roster limits?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #34: May 30, 2022 03:01:24 am
      The knee jerk reaction in me says that we need to bring someone dynamic in up front, especially if we are losing Mane. To play in three finals and not score a goal is pretty odd, especially for a team that was so prolific in scoring all year. If Bobby stays healthy then I can see us going with what we have in Mo, Diaz, Jota and Bobby (plus Minamino). Wouldnā€™t mind seeing someone brought in to back up Trent (like Kostas for Robbo). Wonder are we set in midfield? Brining In Carvalho, will there be anyone else brought in? Maybe another destroyer ala Fab?

I think itā€™s going to basically be mostly tweaks and no big names or wholesale changes. Gonna be a challenge to run with City again but maybe if it takes them some time to integrate or get used to Haaland we can build a cushion and stay ahead of them. Gonna be interesting for sure.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #35: May 30, 2022 06:56:18 am
      I wouldn't mind us going after a "Plan B" striker. Someone that offers something different, when we struggle to break down a defense. Basically, someone that'll replace Divock.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #36: May 30, 2022 07:40:27 am
      Our record in games against top 4 opposition and the lack of goals in finals this season suggests there is a bit of work to do.

Definitely a midfielder because for various reasons Ox, Milner, Jones and I'd chuck in Naby as well just aren't attractive options to play anything more than cameos and odd games. Hendo is also hitting veteran stage. Bellingham isn't leaving this Summer but this time next year we need to be first in line to bring him here.

I think Diaz is Manes replacement, Spurs just forced our hand 6 months early to sign him. What we now need is something through the middle now Bobby has become peripheral and Diogo has struggled for form. Carvalho for this season will become Mo's understudy on the right.

If we could find a right back in the mould of Tsimikas  on the left that would be lovely too.

riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #37: May 30, 2022 09:24:38 am

Question: Will Carvalho count as an English player against the roster limits?

I've read that he counts to our homegrown quota
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #38: May 30, 2022 05:34:33 pm
      Reaching saturation point. Tis about this time of the year I shut down the footie for a few months and switch to the cricket and golf but now with the fall out from the Stade de France debacle it looks like the footie will still be in the news for another week or two.

Cud be worse..cud be an Everton fan and they shut down just after Christmas..
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #39: May 31, 2022 01:32:46 am
      What sort of reaction will we see from this group of players next season when they come back fresh and fit once more?

On the strong balance of probabilities, I don't think any of us on this forum will ever see us play every single possible game of a season again.   So I sincerely hope you enjoyed the last season. 

I suppose you have to ask yourself - would you enjoy us storming the league and going out in the first possible round of both cups and the group stage of the Champions League as much next season.   I don't believe any of you would!

I've had the pleasure of watching us in three cup finals and a last day decider with my kids this season and I honestly believe that won't happen again.  What a season!
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #40: May 31, 2022 01:52:29 am
      Need to evolve. Here's a quote from Ancelotti

ā€œI think it helped that Liverpool were easier to decipher than the others, because they have a very clear identity and we could prepare the way that we did. We knew what strategy to take ā€” donā€™t give them space behind the defence to run into.ā€

https://theathletic.com/news/ancelotti-liverpool-real-madrid-champions-league/jF79iiR9Wxia/

Not that we didn't have chances to score, but we need to give teams different things to think about.
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #41: May 31, 2022 02:05:47 am
      Our midfield is solid, Thiago is the great passing player who is solid too weirdly enough, but we need a powerful goalscoring midfielder player to come in, need goals from midfield, simply has to be a thing when all the front 3 are marked or overthinking their shots. I'm thinking of a Gerrard type to change the course of these games.
       Even though we won those finals, it was too close for comfort, I'm happy about winning, but we drew those games against Chelsea. Do they have better strikers than us or did they last season? Nope, so why no goals? Why no goals in the CL final? Wtf 3 finals! We were lucky, we earned our luck sure but when it goes to penalties, anything can happen.
       Just looking or thinking how the team has to evolve next season now that Sadio is gone.

Edit, hey never read about evolving from the last post, so that's weird. synchronicity. 
      « Last Edit: May 31, 2022 02:13:44 am by Crunchycrisps »
      YNWA_Mastery
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 97 posts | 19 
      Reply #42: May 31, 2022 03:42:33 am
      how will we react? just check out our parade .

Awesome comment.  FWIW - I have spent the last 24 hours getting bigoted dicks to ace facts about Liverpool.  The level of prejudice and blinkeredness out there is just so sad...  A tragedy nearly happened, the history of H is instrumental and yet they are still cruel morons.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #43: May 31, 2022 03:43:29 am
      Need to evolve. Here's a quote from Ancelotti

ā€œI think it helped that Liverpool were easier to decipher than the others, because they have a very clear identity and we could prepare the way that we did. We knew what strategy to take ā€” donā€™t give them space behind the defence to run into.ā€

https://theathletic.com/news/ancelotti-liverpool-real-madrid-champions-league/jF79iiR9Wxia/

Not that we didn't have chances to score, but we need to give teams different things to think about.

Sounds like a manager taking credit for his own "brilliance," when he was two finger-tip saves from losing the match. They had one shot on target for a goal, allowed by a big mistake by one of our top players. That wasn't tactics or system. Yes Real are a great team, but that match could have gone either way - easily.

JĆ¼rgen has tweaked the system every year since he's been here and will continue to do so.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #44: May 31, 2022 12:11:29 pm
      I expect we'll see 6 or 7 players leave and 3 or 4 arrive.

Karius, Adrian, Ox, Milner, Origi, Mane.

That'll be enough for a minor refresh.

Then go again.
      « Last Edit: May 31, 2022 02:45:01 pm by racerx34 »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #45: May 31, 2022 02:15:49 pm
      Ancelotti can eat sh*t. He played like Everton and had 3-4 wonder saves to thank.

Sign Kane and go again.

Quick Reply