Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

How do we react?

Read 13605 times
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 730 
      Re: How do we react?
      Reply #46: May 31, 2022 03:00:40 pm
      Ancelotti can eat sh*t. He played like Everton and had 3-4 wonder saves to thank.

Sign Kane and go again.
      Not sure he had them play like Everton, otherwise we'd have come out on top. More likely he watched us against Spurs and realised that adopting the same tactic was a tactic that improved their chances of not conceding a goal....and also of scoring the one goal needed to win.

No one could hand on heart say we deserved to lose, as you say their keeper put in a career defining performance
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #47: May 31, 2022 05:56:26 pm
      Not sure he had them play like Everton, otherwise we'd have come out on top. More likely he watched us against Spurs and realised that adopting the same tactic was a tactic that improved their chances of not conceding a goal....and also of scoring the one goal needed to win.

No one could hand on heart say we deserved to lose, as you say their keeper put in a career defining performance

One shot on goal. Acting like he’s outdone us good and proper and they had one shot.

Benzema done F**k all, Valvered F**k all, Vini scored a tap in but was shut down by Trent and Ibou all night.

Was a game-of-his-life keeper performance away from getting dragged by every paper and journo for being sh*te.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #48: May 31, 2022 06:07:35 pm
      We have to react. We have too many positives to take with us not to.

I think a right back to challenge or allow Trent to rest would be good.

A goal scoring midfielder would be nice.

And if one of strikers leave then a replacement for them. Klopp seems to like martinelli so wouldn’t be surprised to see us going for him.

Wouldn’t mind seeing keita leave. For one reason or another he just can’t dominate games.

That Martinelli fella is worth breaking the bank for awesome tallent
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #49: May 31, 2022 06:16:28 pm
      Probably already been said but I didn't agree with Diaz coming off. Would've taken Mane off and put Jota thru the middle but..ah..it's all water under..etc.etc.

Does that mean if Mane goes Jota takes over ?
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,194 posts | 1205 
      Reply #50: May 31, 2022 06:59:06 pm
      Need to evolve. Here's a quote from Ancelotti

“I think it helped that Liverpool were easier to decipher than the others, because they have a very clear identity and we could prepare the way that we did. We knew what strategy to take — don’t give them space behind the defence to run into.”

https://theathletic.com/news/ancelotti-liverpool-real-madrid-champions-league/jF79iiR9Wxia/

Not that we didn't have chances to score, but we need to give teams different things to think about.

We dominated for most of the game with better possession, better chances and more dangerous openings but the goalie played an absolute blinder and we were caught momentarily off guard. They nicked a goal and sat on their lead - as was always their plan. Pragmatic but wouldn't call it tactical brilliance. If we are at full strength it's pretty much the only way a team like Real can set up against us to avoid getting torn apart.

We could have played them at their own game arguably and drawn them out when we realised they were trying to constrict the play but this is not much in our nature. If we play them 10 times with our usual approach we probably win 7 or 8 of them but when they are succeeding in making it tight the odds of us getting done on the counter increase with every passing minute and with everything we know about this Real team I think it's something we should have been more alert to as the game wore on. A slightly modified and more counter attacking approach at that stage of the game might have served us better than going in all guns blazing.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #51: May 31, 2022 07:10:20 pm
      One shot on goal. Acting like he’s outdone us good and proper and they had one shot.

Benzema done f**k all, Valvered f**k all, Vini scored a tap in but was shut down by Trent and Ibou all night.

Was a game-of-his-life keeper performance away from getting dragged by every paper and journo for being sh*te.

it is what it is mate let them try to make it into a wonderful RM performance which the dominated for 90 mins which we all know is bollox. It was about one thing one man their Goalie. We do tend to bring out the best in goalkeepers
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #52: May 31, 2022 07:23:20 pm
      it is what it is mate let them try to make it into a wonderful RM performance which the dominated for 90 mins which we all know is bollox. It was about one thing one man their Goalie. We do tend to bring out the best in goalkeepers

Exactly mate.

One of those nights. Back at it in a couple weeks.
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #53: May 31, 2022 07:27:30 pm
      This wasn't a Carlo masterclass, fact is they survived more by luck than design. Plus in reality several of our players were running on empty. We ran out of steam after about 30 minutes or so and we didn't really get that intensity back till the last 15 or so. when we were chasing the game.

There really isn't any mystery to the way any of the top teams throughout Europe play. Carlo was just playing the smart arse. Not claiming we outplayed them but we certainly deserved to take it to extra time. But we didn't, they nicked but leave it out Carlo..
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 730 
      Reply #54: May 31, 2022 09:13:21 pm
      We dominated for most of the game with better possession, better chances and more dangerous openings but the goalie played an absolute blinder and we were caught momentarily off guard. They nicked a goal and sat on their lead - as was always their plan. Pragmatic but wouldn't call it tactical brilliance. If we are at full strength it's pretty much the only way a team like Real can set up against us to avoid getting torn apart.

We could have played them at their own game arguably and drawn them out when we realised they were trying to constrict the play but this is not much in our nature. If we play them 10 times with our usual approach we probably win 7 or 8 of them but when they are succeeding in making it tight the odds of us getting done on the counter increase with every passing minute and with everything we know about this Real team I think it's something we should have been more alert to as the game wore on. A slightly modified and more counter attacking approach at that stage of the game might have served us better than going in all guns blazing.
      That's a perfect description of the game I watched. As you say, as the game wore on we may have befitted from a different approach. Madrid had gotten used to our pattern of play. That's why I advocated Minimino coming on. I'm not saying he's any better than who was playing, its just that he's different and so maybe unpredictable. Their defence has to then adjust, which potentially opens up space for the other strikers to operate in.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 730 
      Reply #55: May 31, 2022 09:19:20 pm

Benzema done f**k all, Valvered f**k all, Vini scored a tap in but was shut down by Trent and Ibou all night.

Its just manager hyperbole...what did you expect him to say.."We're sh*te, Liverpool ran rings round us..I wish we'd lost and The mighty Reds had deservedly become the champions of Europe"...It' just tittle tattle for the press
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #56: May 31, 2022 11:55:10 pm
      Its just manager hyperbole...what did you expect him to say.."We're sh*te, Liverpool ran rings round us..I wish we'd lost and The mighty Reds had deservedly become the champions of Europe"...It' just tittle tattle for the press

Eh?

Saying he’s milking it. He is.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,770 posts | 390 
      Reply #57: Jun 01, 2022 09:04:33 am
      Should we be interested in a 2/3 year deal for Lewendowski?

Makes no financial sense, but I'd say a fair bit of football sense.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #58: Jun 01, 2022 09:06:26 am

Defo. Him and some money for Mane would soften blow.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,770 posts | 390 
      Reply #59: Jun 01, 2022 10:08:43 am
      Defo. Him and some money for Mane would soften blow.

City getting Haaland we could offset that with our own goalscorer.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,096 posts | 83 
      Reply #60: Jun 02, 2022 12:41:49 am
      I also agree to make a monster deal with Bayern: Give them Mané right away for Lewandowski and 10 Mio. Lewandowski is better than Mané because Lewandowski can actually score with headers. That is something we did not explore with our front three since they are too short.

But the problem is again: While City's owners do manage their club to get famous and successful, we (FSG) manage it to get profit. This is our real deep disadvantage. We have owners that ultimately do not care about success while our compeititor's owners do. It is a tragedy that Jürgen has to work with such a burden because in 50 years nobody will remember, all will just see Guardiolas 23 PL titles and Jürgen will look meh in comparison. ;(
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #61: Jun 02, 2022 01:54:32 am

I'd be all in for Lewa. We need an assassin in the box. We are way too wasteful and already cost us big ears.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #62: Jun 02, 2022 11:24:26 am
      I also agree to make a monster deal with Bayern: Give them Mané right away for Lewandowski and 10 Mio. Lewandowski is better than Mané because Lewandowski can actually score with headers. That is something we did not explore with our front three since they are too short.

But the problem is again: While City's owners do manage their club to get famous and successful, we (FSG) manage it to get profit. This is our real deep disadvantage. We have owners that ultimately do not care about success while our compeititor's owners do. It is a tragedy that Jürgen has to work with such a burden because in 50 years nobody will remember, all will just see Guardiolas 23 PL titles and Jürgen will look meh in comparison. ;(

Don’t you think that winning generates money.
      You clearly have an agenda that doesn’t add up 🤷‍♂️
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #63: Jun 02, 2022 02:16:05 pm

You clearly have an agenda that doesn’t add up 🤷‍♂️

Is there anything about him that adds up?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #64: Jun 02, 2022 02:17:27 pm
      Is there anything about him that adds up?

Still think he's a dickhead blue on a wind up.
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #65: Jun 02, 2022 02:22:06 pm
      Still think he's a dickhead blue on a wind up.

100%. Just a strange dude/poster.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,096 posts | 83 
      Reply #66: Jun 02, 2022 07:09:03 pm

It does, but whats the point? To jerk off to LFC‘s bank account? City has ambitious owners that want what fans should want: silverware and glory. We don‘t. If we didn‘t get a our Messias (Jürgen), we‘d be still fighting for CL spots behind City, Chelsea and probably Tottenham. We waste such a potential.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #67: Jun 02, 2022 08:57:57 pm
      It does, but whats the point? To jerk off to LFC‘s bank account? City has ambitious owners that want what fans should want: silverware and glory. We don‘t. If we didn‘t get a our Messias (Jürgen), we‘d be still fighting for CL spots behind City, Chelsea and probably Tottenham. We waste such a potential.

They’re backed by a country you donut.

I wouldn’t trade any of what we’re about for whatever they’re about.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6353 
      Reply #68: Jun 02, 2022 08:59:08 pm
      They’re backed by a country you donut.

I wouldn’t trade any of what we’re about for whatever they’re about.

Calling someone a donut may be the best insult I've read in awhile. ;D

Quick Reply