Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

How do we react?

Read 13425 times
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Re: How do we react?
      Reply #115: Jun 06, 2022 09:08:06 am

Thanks, that's the player I was thinking about.

I lived in Sheffield in the early 90s and I remember Paul Warhurst. He was a centre back playing for Wednesday and was moved to centre forward when Mark Bright and David Hirst got injured. He scored a lot of goals and got a place in the England squad as a CF. Also there is Dion Dublin who played as a striker and defender.

I'm not suggesting that 0112358 is making a good suggestion, just pointing out some of the history. I don't think it's helpful to start aggressive personal attacks on people for expressing opinions.

At Liverpool's current level and Klopp's style of play a big CF, especially VVD or Konate being converted from CB is not going to to be a sensible option. But I think I noticed VVD staying up in the RM penalty box for the last 5 mins of the final.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #116: Jun 06, 2022 10:24:35 am

I lived in Sheffield in the early 90s and I remember Paul Warhurst. He was a centre back playing for Wednesday and was moved to centre forward when Mark Bright and David Hirst got injured. He scored a lot of goals and got a place in the England squad as a CF. Also there is Dion Dublin who played as a striker and defender.

I'm not suggesting that 0112358 is making a good suggestion, just pointing out some of the history. I don't think it's helpful to start aggressive personal attacks on people for expressing opinions.

At Liverpool's current level and Klopp's style of play a big CF, especially VVD or Konate being converted from CB is not going to to be a sensible option. But I think I noticed VVD staying up in the RM penalty box for the last 5 mins of the final.

Fibo was on a wind up either that or he has lost the plot. The only possible player who might be moved is Trent. Obviously from left back to midfield. But that probably won't happen. Southgate put it up for debate a while back but the Boss knocked it on the head.

Every kid who ever kicked a ball wants to score goals but obviously as they develop their natural position becomes clearer. Konate is a defender - end of.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #117: Jun 06, 2022 12:05:04 pm

There's countless examples of players changing positions, Gary Doherty was a centre half/centre forward for Spurs and Norwich, but it's as an emergency only. We're not in a position where we need an emergency centre forward from one of our centre halves. Even Caulker who's been mentioned was an emergency centre forward (for three sub appearances and a combined total of about 5 minutes) because Sturridge and Ings were out injured, Klopp never really fancied Benteke (another big burly centre forward) and we were getting beat late on.

The last five minutes of a European Cup final is time for that emergency as well when you're getting beat, so Van Dijk was probably told just stay up top. And I'm more old skool than most and would of been shouting for that switch 10 or 15 minutes earlier. Lob the big fella up top and go route one - but we don't play that style under Klopp.

He likes his front three to be fluid and interchangeable. He also likes the central player of the three to drop deep and link everything up. So the thought of Van Dijk, Konate, Matip or big Nat Phillips when he returns becoming our new number 9 is ludicrous.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #118: Jun 06, 2022 06:43:05 pm
      So this is how we react. Someone comes in and tries to wind us up. We react by having a good laugh and getting entertained by a clown.

Suggestions are deffo setting us up for a trashing and the route that Jürgen would not take. Then why not play our legends who are too slow for anything. The result is the same - set up to be trashed.

Clowns will be clowns. It was a good laugh and good entertainment. If that was our manager we would be dead. A clown who has zero respect for us.
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #119: Jun 07, 2022 09:25:04 pm
      Pretty calm about this summer, I trust the people in charge. Players come and go, but with Jürgen in charge. I'm sure Michael edwards/Julian ward have got this summer sorted.
      Edwards is no longer here is he? I'm calm too, what's the alternative? No choice but to be calm, while Jürgen is still here we can all have faith, going forward after that I don't know, what with other clubs willing to pay mad wages and transfer fees.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #120: Jun 08, 2022 02:15:09 pm
      Edwards is no longer here is he? I'm calm too, what's the alternative? No choice but to be calm, while Jürgen is still here we can all have faith, going forward after that I don't know, what with other clubs willing to pay mad wages and transfer fees.

It wasn't long ago the FSG thread was burning and people were taking out calculators and figuring out net spend and using that as a measure of quality/success. It took some longer than others, but by now most have realized that this team is superbly run and that we can sit back and watch things unfold knowing this team knows what they're doing and they do it very well.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #121: Jun 08, 2022 05:08:44 pm
      My reaction is to book the hotel, like Klopp suggested!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #122: Jun 08, 2022 06:22:04 pm
      It wasn't long ago the FSG thread was burning and people were taking out calculators and figuring out net spend and using that as a measure of quality/success. It took some longer than others, but by now most have realized that this team is superbly run and that we can sit back and watch things unfold knowing this team knows what they're doing and they do it very well.

first class sh*t stirring well done.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #123: Jun 08, 2022 08:23:23 pm

But the history has absolutely no relevance when you consider that the likes of Dublin and Warhurst are absolutely nowhere near the levels of VVD or Konate. It's as ridiculous an argument as a hotel manager moving a three star Michelin chef out of the kitchen and telling him he's the new gardener.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #124: Jun 08, 2022 09:33:13 pm
      How can there be a genuine debate about VVD and Konate being made into centre forwards. That is absolutely not how we react
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #125: Jun 08, 2022 09:42:22 pm
      How can there be a genuine debate about VVD and Konate being made into centre forwards. That is absolutely not how we react

I think its the time of year mate far worse is to come between now and August
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #126: Jun 08, 2022 09:54:12 pm
      UEFA need binning, you may as well well have Zippy, George and Bungle running it.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #127: Jun 08, 2022 10:06:30 pm
      UEFA need binning, you may as well well have Zippy, George and Bungle running it.
      ..they are running it
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,971 posts | 2050 
      Reply #128: Jun 08, 2022 10:59:33 pm

Can't be. Those mad fluffy bas**rds had decency about them.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #129: Jun 09, 2022 11:45:46 am
      My reaction is to book the hotel, like Klopp suggested!

Already claiming a spec around Taksim Square!!
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #130: Jun 13, 2022 02:09:33 pm
      Have we signed Nunez or wot..
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #131: Jun 13, 2022 02:10:41 pm

Medical today apparently. I'd guess it will either be announced later today or tomorrow morning?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #132: Jun 13, 2022 05:46:04 pm

Basically already reported as sold by Benfica to Portuguese commission. So yeah, just waiting for club announcement.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #133: Jun 13, 2022 07:34:54 pm
      Basically already reported as sold by Benfica to Portuguese commission. So yeah, just waiting for club announcement.

We needed to make a marquee signing and it's looking like £80m +. Could get back £35m or so for Mane, probably another £20m or so from other sales.

Nunez V Haaland season. Both predatory straightforward strikers.

p.s Wenger plan to replace throw ins with kick ins...why doesn't he bugger off and open a cheese shop FFS
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #134: Jun 13, 2022 10:27:01 pm
      We needed to make a marquee signing and it's looking like £80m +. Could get back £35m or so for Mane, probably another £20m or so from other sales.

Nunez V Haaland season. Both predatory straightforward strikers.

p.s Wenger plan to replace throw ins with kick ins...why doesn't he bugger off and open a cheese shop FFS

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #135: Jun 14, 2022 10:26:48 am
      Haaland on £325k per week thats going to make every goal he scores expensive and this is why Mo feels he should be earning this amount which I understand but we have to balance the books were City dont they just go into the petty cash tin and find another £100mil. If we lose the players mentioned and bring in £100mil then we have scope for another quality player and will end up stronger than we finished last year which is good progess
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #136: Jun 14, 2022 09:16:14 pm
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #137: Jun 23, 2022 10:52:23 pm
      Sadio going seems like an era going because he was the start of a revamp but we all knew at some point obviously it would happen, we have 3 new talents Diaz, Cavalho and Nunez (oh yeah Jota to have a season too) our football is going to be scintillating to bring back a word. Put them signings into any other team and it'd be ah lets see but at Liverpool we kind of know what we'll see, I can't wait for football to be back, usually I like the break in the season but man I am wanting live football to be back so much.

Quick Reply