Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Sadio Mane (Bayern Munich)

Read 19613 times
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Re: Sadio Mane (Bayern Munich)
      Reply #92: Jun 08, 2022 05:25:19 pm
      Sorry to pick this out... but always wondered....what else are you to do with cake? Isn't the whole point of having cake to eat it?  ;D
      The consensus is that cake is food, therefore you are spot on....it has no purpose other than to be eaten.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #93: Jun 08, 2022 10:21:39 pm
      What are these add ons all about . Come on at least make them realistic  :mad:
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #94: Jun 08, 2022 10:50:55 pm
      oh so you dont think they consult JĆ¼rgen over player valuations.

I might be naive, but I actually don't.. I truly believe he lets the 'money men' deal with the money.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #95: Jun 08, 2022 11:54:57 pm

Yep, I'd say he tells them who he wants or what he thinks of the targets they bring to him and that's probably it. I doubt he cares about the money unless none of it is getting spent.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #96: Jun 09, 2022 12:10:13 am
      I might be naive, but I actually don't.. I truly believe he lets the 'money men' deal with the money.
      I don't find it hard to believe at all. Once JĆ¼rgen identifies a target player he thinks would strengthen our team/squad, he informs the powers that be of his interest to bring that player to LFC. That player's current club will have a value their "asset" is worth, either to keep or sell. The $ people at FSG then have to decide, based on many factors, age, medical history etc. whether to fund the purchase. I sense they trust JĆ¼rgen's judgement to a high degree and will do their utmost to secure the deal.
       There seems to be genuine mutual respect between owners and manager, with both parties having the very best interests of the club and its supporters.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #97: Jun 09, 2022 12:14:06 am

I do think they consult him or at least make him aware. Like when he made that comment about Salah's contract negotiations when he said "the team has done all it can", i imagine is because he knows what was offered/discussed with his agent. I also believe he has made comments in the past about passing on players because of the transfer demands. However, he's definitely not the one on the phone/email doing the negotiating.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #98: Jun 09, 2022 08:44:25 am

You'd be correct I'd imagine.

Of course he'll input on a player on ability and how they'd fit etc but he has nothing to do with valuing them
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #99: Jun 10, 2022 09:26:55 am
      Sorry to pick this out... but always wondered....what else are you to do with cake? Isn't the whole point of having cake to eat it?  ;D

I was led to understand we've been saying this wrong for ever. The phrase should be: 'eat your cake and have it', ie. you still have it after it's been consumed.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #100: Jun 10, 2022 09:39:10 am

I always thought that saying was backwards.
      Makes more sense as "Eat his cake and still have it"
      Like "He wants to eat all his cake now and have some for later"
      Have his cake and eat it is what we all do, right?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #101: Jun 10, 2022 10:30:04 am
      I always thought that saying was backwards.
      Makes more sense as "Eat his cake and still have it"
      Like "He wants to eat all his cake now and have some for later"
      Have his cake and eat it is what we all do, right?
      Emphasis on the and, he wants both things. Not to have his cake then to eat it but to have is cake as well as eat it (and still have it of course).

Itā€™s just not as catchy to say,

ā€œThis man wants to have a cake then eat it but also still have it after he has eaten itā€.

So you can look at it as:

ā€œHe wants to have his cake and [also] eat itā€
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #102: Jun 10, 2022 10:39:11 am
      Emphasis on the and, he wants both things. Not to have his cake then to eat it but to have is cake as well as eat it (and still have it of course).

Itā€™s just not as catchy to say,

ā€œThis man wants to have a cake then eat it but also still have it after he has eaten itā€.

So you can look at it as:

ā€œHe wants to have his cake and [also] eat itā€
      ..with the price of cake I just hope it doesn't get wasted
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #103: Jun 10, 2022 12:50:47 pm
      ..with the price of cake I just hope it doesn't get wasted
      All this talk of cake is making me hungry.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #104: Jun 10, 2022 12:53:26 pm
      All this talk of cake is making me hungry.

Save me a slice  ;D
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #105: Jun 10, 2022 01:36:14 pm

You'll only eat it😄
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #106: Jun 10, 2022 03:25:16 pm

That was my intention  :lmao:
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #107: Jun 10, 2022 05:48:55 pm
      Jesus Christ popped in here & all I see is talk of cake  :lmao: :lmao:.anyhow I believe the proverb used to be ā€˜ You canā€™t have your cake and eat it tooā€™ & on that note Iā€™m off to have some of my own cake with custard. :f_tongueincheek: :f_tongueincheek:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #108: Jun 10, 2022 06:06:29 pm
      just had a piece of Choc Birthday cake very nice. You can't have your cake and eat is simples isnt it once you have eaten it you can no longer have it. or is it the other way round
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #109: Jun 11, 2022 05:57:55 pm
      I think I started this cake thing. Apologies for making people hungry 😀

Really hope mane stays but it seems its just a matter of time. I'd say offer him a new deal. But if we won't pay salah what he wants then the same will apply to mane. Maybe he really did just want a new challenge.

We've got our wage structure and it seems we won't break it even for the best. I'm not expecting or wanting us to pay psg/city wages etc but you'd think we'd up our ceiling in order to retain our stars.

But everything is geared toward finding players who fall in with that structure and no matter how much we spend on Salah's replacement they will need to fall in line.

It would just be nice to get money for salah now. But the club has decided we can't lose them both this summer. I think its really poor allowing a player of his ability to walk for free and potentially join city or chelsea.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #110: Jun 11, 2022 08:04:29 pm
      Iā€™m honestly not worried about losing any players. Can someone name a Klopp player thatā€™s moved on and been better after theyā€™ve left? I canā€™t think of one. That tells me something and Iā€™m surprised the players donā€™t recognize itā€¦ā€¦they may be great here but thatā€™s because of Klopp and what he has done and the system he has in place. These players arenā€™t going to have that wherever else they go.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #111: Jun 11, 2022 08:29:48 pm
      Iā€™m honestly not worried about losing any players. Can someone name a Klopp player thatā€™s moved on and been better after theyā€™ve left? I canā€™t think of one. That tells me something and Iā€™m surprised the players donā€™t recognize itā€¦ā€¦they may be great here but thatā€™s because of Klopp and what he has done and the system he has in place. These players arenā€™t going to have that wherever else they go.

Lewandowski, gundogan (arguably), persic, ings (not sure about him, but he is scoring goals as a cf),
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #112: Jun 11, 2022 09:11:14 pm
      A big part of this and the Nunez deal is probably the wages.
      Sadio has reportedly asked for an increase from 120k to around 400k, supposedly agreeing 320k, 16m per year with Bayern. If we gave him that, that's an extra 10mill per year in wages.
      Nunez, according to reports has agreed to 120k for the next 5 years.
      So buying Nunez, even for the 85m seems like roughly the same money as extending sadio would cost when you factor in selling sadio for around 40m.
      Nunez 85m + 6m wages x5 =115m -40m mane fee =75m.
      Extending sadio for 5 years at 320k, 16m X 5 = 80m.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #113: Jun 11, 2022 09:20:16 pm
      A big part of this and the Nunez deal is probably the wages.
      Sadio has reportedly asked for an increase from 120k to around 400k, supposedly agreeing 320k, 16m per year with Bayern. If we gave him that, that's an extra 10mill per year in wages.
      Nunez, according to reports has agreed to 120k for the next 5 years.
      So buying Nunez, even for the 85m seems like roughly the same money as extending sadio would cost when you factor in selling sadio for around 40m.
      Nunez 85m + 6m wages x5 =115m -40m mane fee =75m.
      Extending sadio for 5 years at 320k, 16m X 5 = 80m.

Then he gets to Sadio's age and, realising he's been mugged off for a few years, f*cks off to PSG or some other club prepared to double his wage, and we repeat   ;D
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #114: Jun 11, 2022 09:28:45 pm
      Then he gets to Sadio's age and, realising he's been mugged off for a few years, f*cks off to PSG or some other club prepared to double his wage, and we repeat   ;D

Yep. But if that happens in 4 years time, Nunez is 26 and if he's done what is expected of him, with one year left of a 5 year contract he could be sold for big money and reinvested in the new 22 year old. whereas in 4 years time sadio is 34  and we're  not getting much of a fee.

It's crazy to think about someone earning 6m per year but we have gotten away with massively underpaying sadio for years.
      Same with Gini last year, not getting a fee didn't matter so much as it had been saved in not paying the going rate for years

Quick Reply