Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Darwin Nunez - Benfica

Read 27616 times
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,261 posts | 757 
      Re: Darwin Nunez - Benfica
      Reply #46: Jun 08, 2022 06:13:20 pm
      Not really excited about Nunez to be honest. He is very young and had like one good season and now want to pay 80+20 Mio for him? If that happens we better shut up about City and their transfer fees.

Donā€™t know signing a tall player for a big fee always brings make the Andy Carroll memoriesā€¦
      You prefer the short ones for a small fee?....I think medium works.
      Seriously I must have watched him against us for Benfica but he hasn't left any lasting memory with me...The money knocking around football is shameful
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #47: Jun 08, 2022 06:17:54 pm
      Seriously I must have watched him against us for Benfica but he hasn't left any lasting memory with me...The money knocking around football is shameful

Watched him play a few times and like you can't understand the price tag ( if true ) maybe its because he's so young  :roll:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #48: Jun 08, 2022 06:19:45 pm

Had it not been for Covid...this is the way prices were going. Sounds like things are back on track. It is what it is I guess. If Haaland hadn't had a release clause, City likely would have paid 200m for him, I have no doubt.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 828 posts | 298 
      Reply #49: Jun 08, 2022 06:30:06 pm
      It's a lot of money to pay for a player. Only VVD and Allison have been a similar price category. I think there was doubts about the price for both of them as well. I trust the club to make good decisions, the spending has been consistently good for years now.

The season starts early this year so we are probably paying a bit extra to get it done quickly so he has more time with the squad. We are going to have to start winning games from week 1. Bayern, in the Mane transfer, can probably spend a few weeks arguing over the price, they can start slow and still win their league by 5-10 points.

I think it's unlikely we will have another big transfer this summer so midfield will probably have to wait until next year.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,211 posts | 1214 
      Reply #50: Jun 08, 2022 06:37:14 pm
      I'm actually surprised as I didn't think we'd go in at that sort of price but I will be very excited if he signs, not least because the fee we are prepared to pay will be proportionate to the level of homework we've done on the fella and we do that quite well these days. Bar Keita and Ox (who aren't bad players when fit etc ) all the big money signings under Klopp have been a rip-roaring success.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,109 posts | 83 
      Reply #51: Jun 08, 2022 06:45:03 pm
      No, not for this price. The dude is no gimme, do not let yourself deceive by his goal rate in a weak league but look at the things he cannot do. He can become a gem, but not right away. You do not pay 80+ Mio. for such players, you pay 30-50 Mio. like we did with Keita, ManƩ and Salah or even Diaz.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #52: Jun 08, 2022 06:55:30 pm
      look at the things he cannot do.

Such as?...

Watched him play a few times and like you can't understand the price tag ( if true ) maybe its because he's so young  :roll:

Or it's because his name isn't Haaland. Reckon that's playing a part for some. Wouldn't say there's any real difference between the Bundesliga and the Portugal League, aside from 2 seasons at Dortmund many could argue Haaland hasn't done anything to justify the money he commands now. Think him and Nunez are the same age, had very similar seasons last year.

Even Alisson, a lot of people, myself included thought we were maybe paying over the odds for him at first when the links first started with him and couldn't really understand the links. Up to that point from what we'd seen of him he didn't look that much of an upgrade on Karius and Ali didn't play well against us in the 2 games vs Roma. Then Kiev happened and the rest is history.

If Nunez had been bigged up like Haaland, Mbappe, and whoever else, people would be more excited.

Any transfer is a risk, makes no odds to me whether we pay 8mill or 80mill for a player because it's not the price tag that will determine whether a player is a good signing or not, it's the performances.

Ultimately, the club aren't going to go and spend that amount of money on a player unless they feel he is completely worth it and they've gone through the reports of him with a fine toothed comb.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,184 posts | 832 
      Reply #53: Jun 08, 2022 06:56:33 pm
      No, not for this price. The dude is no gimme, do not let yourself deceive by his goal rate in a weak league but look at the things he cannot do. He can become a gem, but not right away. You do not pay 80+ Mio. for such players, you pay 30-50 Mio. like we did with Keita, ManƩ and Salah or even Diaz.

Ok now im convinced we should go and buy Darwin
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #54: Jun 08, 2022 07:07:55 pm

Ultimately, the club aren't going to go and spend that amount of money on a player unless they feel he is completely worth it and they've gone through the reports of him with a fine toothed comb.

Donā€™t think any club intentionally buys a player without crossing the Iā€™s and the Ts KK As weā€™re all aware  from bad signings in the passed. Fortunately for you lot! Klopps got very good record with his recruits so far so no surprises if this ends up the same way.  :f_doh:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,044 posts | 2096 
      Reply #55: Jun 08, 2022 07:21:19 pm

Quite a hot take take from someone who says we should convert Konate and Virg into strikers.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #56: Jun 08, 2022 07:25:33 pm
      Quite a hot take take from someone who says we should convert Konate and Virg into strikers.

well we need a back up goalie if Kelleher goes
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #57: Jun 08, 2022 07:29:25 pm
      That's alot of money. No way we are spending that without selling multiple players.

Mane at 40m and chamberlain leaving will knock a good chunk of that off I think. Every chance of some loan fees ... kellerher etc adding to that.

I've a feeling Gomez will be sold too. This money will be recouped.

But whatever the case JĆ¼rgen must be totally convinced by this kid.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #58: Jun 08, 2022 07:34:26 pm
      Probably be a lot less of a fee, but with add ons.
      We will have funds available, plus the extras from outgoing players. We wonā€™t be selling anyone to find this, there are plenty of players leaving weather we were interested in him or anyone else, or not.

No smoke without fire as they say. Get it done and move in to the next one 👍
      rossyred

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #59: Jun 08, 2022 07:38:47 pm
      Not gonna lie, I don't know enough about this kid to get super excited about him unlike the Virgil transfer, but I'd imagine if we are making this kind of push, Klopp sees something he likes. His highlights look good, but that's the whole point isn't it??? Andy Carroll looked like a beast too ;D

Me neither to be honest . Seen a few big him up Suarez etc and yes does seem a lot of money but I have to trust what's gone before with our recruitment they won't have done this on a whim and without Klopps blessing
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #60: Jun 08, 2022 07:44:06 pm
      Probably be a lot less of a fee, but with add ons.
      We will have funds available, plus the extras from outgoing players. We wonā€™t be selling anyone to find this, there are plenty of players leaving weather we were interested in him or anyone else, or not.

No smoke without fire as they say. Get it done and move in to the next one 👍

Over passed few seasons Liverpool have sold big to buy big. Itā€™s quite possible if you get around 35 million for Mane then this will be the case again. However, 80 million does  sound over the top when you make comparisons with Haaland, time will tell.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #61: Jun 08, 2022 07:54:43 pm
      Over passed few seasons Liverpool have sold big to buy big. Itā€™s quite possible if you get around 35 million for Mane then this will be the case again. However, 80 million does  sound over the top when you make comparisons with Haaland, time will tell.

Haaland had a release clause so not sure how you can compare it to this deal. If there wasn't one he would have gone for 100m+.

Even with the release clause that will still be a bigger deal than this one when you add in the signing on bonus and the mega wage Haaland will be on.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #62: Jun 08, 2022 07:58:44 pm
      Haaland had a release clause so not sure how you can compare it to this deal. If there wasn't one he would have gone for 100m+.

Even with the release clause that will still be a bigger deal than this one when you add in the signing on bonus and the mega wage Haaland will be on.

there both big deals no matter how you look at it really.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,635 posts | 130 
      Reply #63: Jun 08, 2022 08:02:25 pm
      I trust the club to make good decisions, the spending has been consistently good for years now.

I know the club must have some overall transfer strategy but donā€™t forget Julian Ward is in charge to make the deals now. No sure if he handles the deals like Edwards  before, especially now when our spending power has also increased in recent years.

It only takes a few expensive and bad deals to alter the trajectory of the club. I hope they know what they are doing in the end and donā€™t end up following United to spend big money one single players that turn out to be sh*t.

I know we spend big on VVD and Alisson, but they were also not some youngsters and had already some experiences. 100 Mio for some kid from the Portuguese league that had one good season is just over the top and not a deal that has Liverpool written over it. Let United have him and sink some money.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #64: Jun 08, 2022 08:39:02 pm
      Kid is class.

If the boss wants him then I don't give a shiny sh*te what the price is.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,261 posts | 757 
      Reply #65: Jun 08, 2022 09:13:32 pm
      Kid is class.

If the boss wants him then I don't give a shiny sh*te what the price is.
      My sentiment exactly.
      I don't really understand all the interest player fee's, The owners of the club have loads of money, it's there to be spent, and theirs to spend. To me it's like Monopoly money, it makes no difference to us what they pay....they're not going to bankrupt the club. I suspect if they bought 10 new players you wouldn't see John W Henry thumbing a lift to the ground!
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #66: Jun 08, 2022 09:23:31 pm
      I think it speaks volumes for the incredible business the club has been doing for so many years now that many of us (not me) are like ā€œhow much!!!?!ā€. The club have been picking up under the radar players for 30~40 million quid and turning them into superstars (Mane, Salah, Jota, Diaz, Konate etc) for so long that it comes as a shock when a bigger fee is talked about.

I like the look of this lad, certainly he played very well in both games against us in the Champions League this season. He has a good touch, skilful, can play through the middle or on the left and at 6ā€™2 he scores a few headers as well. I trust the club and have no doubt they will have done their homework. It looks like Mane will be out the door very soon so maybe this one will happen at a similar time. Iā€™m excited by this one. Great to see the club being proactive and there are plenty of suitors for this kid.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #67: Jun 08, 2022 09:25:31 pm
      Anyone know how the Nike deal is going for us after this blistering season? Might be the reason we can afford to go big while losing Mane for peanuts and Salah next year for nothing.

This fella looks amazing to me. It might seem a bit steep, but he could be a game changer. He's mostly a striker and we never had that before with Klopp. VVD rates him in the top five players he ever faced, his performance against us was exceptional. I'm full of excitement about this!
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #68: Jun 08, 2022 09:26:24 pm
      Just been on Twitter and itā€™s exploding over this potential transfer,so thought Iā€™d Bob on here and see what you lot think ???,a tad split from what Iā€™ve read.
      Well if JK thinks heā€™s a goer thatā€™s fine by me and he did look the business against us in the champs league.
      Oh and Luis thinks heā€™s the bollocks as well.👍

Quick Reply