Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)

Read 89903 times
      PolarBearRed and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 828 posts | 298 
      Re: Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)
      Reply #299: Oct 04, 2022 10:31:54 pm
      I thought his movement was good, making runs behind their defense to get in position for a shot on goal. Rangers were sitting back with 5 in defence and he still found space.
      Starting to link up better with the other forwards, still early in his Liverpool career and I think he can continue to improve.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,281 posts | 1663 
      Reply #300: Oct 04, 2022 11:00:57 pm
      I have been pessimistic  prior tonight but actually feel more positive . Yes he could.have had a couple but was impressed with his work rate and intelligence.  Fine tuning yes ? Got to remember not everyone fits in like someone like Diaz who it was easier for and he has age and the best coach on his side
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,261 posts | 757 
      Reply #301: Oct 04, 2022 11:38:22 pm
      It's finding that sweet spot between trying too hard and not trying enough. Nearly there, on another day he scores a few there.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #302: Oct 05, 2022 01:33:52 am
      It's finding that sweet spot between trying too hard and not trying enough. Nearly there, on another day he scores a few there.

Yeah, I love his intensity and work rate.  He just needs a bit of confidence and composure at times to balance it out, but it'll come. 
      RiderJake
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #303: Oct 05, 2022 08:38:49 am
      I thought his movement was good, making runs behind their defense to get in position for a shot on goal. Rangers were sitting back with 5 in defence and he still found space.
      Starting to link up better with the other forwards, still early in his Liverpool career and I think he can continue to improve.

Rangers wanted him offside :)
      Yeah, he's gotten better in recent games, I've noticed.

Hi all!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #304: Oct 05, 2022 09:27:10 am
      Suarez was never the most technically gifted player, but his passion and drive made him truly world class

Much as I couldn’t stand the snake ( for many reasons ) he was at one time world class. Obviously yet to see that with Núñez. Wish I could put my finger on him but just can’t work out yet what I think of him. Slow starter compared to Haaland.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #305: Oct 05, 2022 09:28:40 am
      It's finding that sweet spot between trying too hard and not trying enough.

I have that problem with my golf clubs.  :lmao:
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #306: Oct 05, 2022 09:37:59 am
      His off the ball work is superb, makes runs that none of our other forwards make. I think someone said in the match thread that if Jota had Nunez's chances he would have scored a few but that's a non starter as I don't think Jota would have got in those positions or made those runs.

His finishing has been really poor though, think he's missed a really good chance in every game he's played which isn't really good enough for a player who's link up play is currently quite limited.

Hopefully it's just a confidence thing and when he gets a couple he'll be fine.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #307: Oct 05, 2022 10:06:43 am
      His off the ball work is superb, makes runs that none of our other forwards make. I think someone said in the match thread that if Jota had Nunez's chances he would have scored a few but that's a non starter as I don't think Jota would have got in those positions or made those runs.

His finishing has been really poor though, think he's missed a really good chance in every game he's played which isn't really good enough for a player who's link up play is currently quite limited.

Hopefully it's just a confidence thing and when he gets a couple he'll be fine.

Disagree on Jota. I think his off the ball work and his runs are very good.

As for Darwin, I thought it was a good display but against hapless opposition. He should have scored a few last night.

The sooner Jota and Darwin start scoring the better. Hopefully they both start off a run on Sunday.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #308: Oct 05, 2022 10:56:50 am
      Need to keep faith in Darwin, he must start scoring goals sooner or later, agree he should have scored last night.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #309: Oct 05, 2022 11:14:10 am
      Kid is just forcing things at the moment.
      Once he gets a run of games and finds a rhythm he'll be grand. 
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2022 01:16:15 pm by racerx34 »
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #310: Oct 05, 2022 01:02:07 pm
      I'm not really convinced.

Positives: industrious, pace, strength, movement, desire
      Negatives: finishing, composure, passing

Those first two negatives are a concern if you're a striker.

Last night, against standard opposition, he had five good chances and failed to convert any. It might be that he's just unlucky to have come up against a goalkeeper playing out of his skin, but I'm not sure that's the entire story.

I read about how he will come good, well, I hope that is in relation to him joining a new club in a new country and being unable to speak the language because if it is in relation to age, the guy is 23. Whilst not past his prime, he is at an age where I normally would not associate with the line, "he'll come good".

And what if the team goes through a period where they aren't creating much? What happens when he comes up against class defenders?

He's got strengths, but he has weaknesses. Obviously, there are football people who know much more than I do, and they can see something in him because he's an Uruguayan international and we handed over £60m for his signature. He shone in pre-season, which is hard to judge because it is pre-season, he scored against a Man City team that might have still been in pre-season mode (Community Shield), and he scored against Fulham. Then the headbutt derailed his momentum.

I still think he'll be ok because he has the desire, pace, and strength. But I have some doubts. Hope I'm wrong.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #311: Oct 05, 2022 01:03:05 pm
      Kid is just forcing things at the moment.
      Once he gets a run of games and fines a rhythm he'll be grand. 

think that was only his 4th start so its a bit early for some to right him off.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #312: Oct 05, 2022 01:34:26 pm
      ffs. Thats 2 of my non LFC mates slaughtering Nunez. Geez give the lad a chance.

Confident he will come good, got into some great positions yesterday on another day he could have had 2 or 3.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #313: Oct 05, 2022 01:44:37 pm
      ffs. Thats 2 of my non LFC mates slaughtering Nunez. Geez give the lad a chance.

Confident he will come good, got into some great positions yesterday on another day he could have had 2 or 3.

People who don’t know anything always chat sh*t.

The best players in the world score 1 out of every 6-7 shots taken, so Nunez not scoring from 4 is hardly anything of note.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1769 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #314: Oct 05, 2022 01:51:34 pm

The best players in the world score 1 out of every 6-7 shots taken, so Nunez not scoring from 4 is hardly anything of note.

Ive always said I dont expect to see the best of him till next year. needs time to settle and the team needs to change to suit him.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #315: Oct 05, 2022 02:01:23 pm

That's rubbish though isn't it. That stat probably includes 30 yard speculative shots and headers where the ball is behind the player etc. and that wasn't the case last night. He had 4-5 clear cut chances and looking back on it McGregor didn't really have to dive that much to save any of them. Your Haaland's and Lewandowski's bag a hat trick last night.

I'm not saying it won't improve but at the moment the composure in front of goal is a bit of a worry for me.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #316: Oct 05, 2022 02:06:38 pm
      That's rubbish though isn't it. That stat probably includes 30 yard speculative shots and headers where the ball is behind the player etc. and that wasn't the case last night. He had 4-5 clear cut chances and looking back on it McGregor didn't really have to dive that much to save any of them. Your Haaland's and Lewandowski's bag a hat trick last night.

I'm not saying it won't improve but at the moment the composure in front of goal is a bit of a worry for me.

Those are the averages mate for players like Messi et al.

I wouldn’t say he had clear cut chances they were more like half chance where he had to get his shots away quickly.
      He had a Xg of 0.99 last night so yeah if we are super critical he should have scored one but 4-5 that’s nonsense.

Hope you didn’t watch Suarez during his first season at LFC 🤣

HarryJules12
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #317: Oct 05, 2022 02:48:28 pm
      Some great movement from Darwin last night. Deserves more chances
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,261 posts | 757 
      Reply #318: Oct 05, 2022 03:02:22 pm
      He has had a stop start introduction to the team, a team which everyone acknowledges is not firing on all cylinders. His temperament let himself, and the club down and that has undoubtedly derailed his progression. (worrying glimpses of it again last night, which the ref did well to deescalate). No one can accuse him of being lazy, he's putting in the hard yards, it's just that split second before and as he get's his shot off that needs a bit more composure, and that comes with minutes on the pitch. He needs a good run in the side to settle and understand how and where he fits.
      I won't be making a judgement on him until the end of the season
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,107 posts | 83 
      Reply #319: Oct 05, 2022 08:10:54 pm
      He's fast, he's tall. That plus uncle Jürgen's magic convinces me. He's the best thing behind Haaland, unfortunately that "behind" means literally what it says: Haaland is and will be better than him. Frustrating that we are built to be #2 in PL and once in a while winning a Cup. We should be built to be a force. F*ck FSG, hallo some richa** Sheikh.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,044 posts | 2096 
      Reply #320: Oct 05, 2022 08:28:53 pm
      He's fast, he's tall. That plus uncle Jürgen's magic convinces me. He's the best thing behind Haaland, unfortunately that "behind" means literally what it says: Haaland is and will be better than him. Frustrating that we are built to be #2 in PL and once in a while winning a Cup. We should be built to be a force. F*ck FSG, hallo some richa** Sheikh.

You really do talk the biggest load of sh*t.

No true fan would want to see us become the bandage for a bloodthirsty human rights abusing sheikh.

Prat
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #321: Oct 06, 2022 11:56:30 pm
      He's gonna come good for sure.

Only a matter of playing time.

He had 4 shots on target all at the keeper. Once he figures out to go to the keepers left or right instead of straight at him, he's gonna be banging them in!

Quick Reply