Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)

Read 87292 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Darwin Núñez Player Thread
      Reply #46: Jul 12, 2022 09:03:13 am
      Darwin off injured with foot blisters. Soft lad, sell him back

;D
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #47: Jul 14, 2022 08:55:07 pm
      He needs time to adapt but a quick one would be nice.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #48: Jul 15, 2022 11:17:19 pm
      I don't like judging a player so early in his time with us but we all saw what this kid is about when we played Benfica last season. Jürgen has a plan, might take some time but I'm seriously looking forward to see how it pans out.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,692 posts | 6693 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #49: Jul 15, 2022 11:47:09 pm
      He gets in the box that's for sure. It will come and when it does, feel he will start banging them in from everywhere!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #50: Jul 16, 2022 12:37:14 am
      Keeping Salah on gives Nunez time to settle. The Mancs already slagging him off on twitter. They must have LFC notifs on
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,081 posts | 630 
      Reply #51: Jul 16, 2022 01:50:22 am
      Keeping Salah on gives Nunez time to settle. The Mancs already slagging him off on twitter. They must have LFC notifs on

Who cares what they think... They're supporting Utd, so they obviously don't know much about football.  ;)

They think winning a meaningless friendly against our kids means they're back. They're in for a rude awakening.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #52: Jul 16, 2022 09:44:32 am
      Are we going to be changing our system? Not to accommodate Nunez, but more a case of we bought Nunez because we are going to change our system. He likes to play central, so, that could still mean a 4-3-3, but I dunno. He looks like a typical number 9, which I don't think we've had under Klopp. Also looks like our style of attacking play changes when he plays. It's more a case of, straight down the middle with Nunez looking to run off a defender's shoulder.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #53: Jul 16, 2022 10:03:36 am
      Rickie Lambert vibes anyone?!

JUST KIDDING DON'T SHOOT.

Really looking forward to how he fits in with us. I think he will adapt to our style more than anything else but with him in the team could we potentially play with him up top and Salah just a little behind, like Kane and Son have played in the past.

YNWA
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,987 posts | 222 
      Reply #54: Jul 18, 2022 09:34:59 am
      Lot of Benfica fans laughing and saying we signed the new Andy carol
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #55: Jul 18, 2022 09:46:17 am

They weren't saying that about him when he was firing them through the Champions League last season and scoring 34 goals for them.

And to be honest, I'd be surprised if Benfica fans even know who Andy Carroll is.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,023 posts | 2089 
      Reply #56: Jul 18, 2022 09:52:22 am

Don't really know what i'm supposed to do with this information. As 7KK7 said, the idea that they're so attuned to the Kenny Dalglish period of 10 plus years ago is a little hard to believe
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #57: Jul 18, 2022 10:17:03 am
      With Nunez I think Jürgen wanted to add some dimensions that we've not had from the no9 position for at least a couple of years ... goals (unless one of our wide players played there) and of course some physicality and presence.

But, Carroll was bought after about 2 minutes thought to replace torres. Alot of thought will have gone into the nunez signing  ... Jürgen isn't going to throw 60m plus on a dud or someone he isnt 100% all in on ... sounds like abit of banter or a few of their supporters who can't be happy for him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #58: Jul 18, 2022 11:16:19 am
      With Nunez I think Jürgen wanted to add some dimensions that we've not had from the no9 position for at least a couple of years ... goals

Wouldn't say goals being the different dimension because Jota was laregly playing in that role last season and he got plenty. IMO the biggest thing it adds is having a player who is constantly making runs in behind the defence. The last player we had that really done that as a mian strength of theirs and that really benefitted the team was Torres, and before him it was Owen. Having a player that is always on the shoulder of the last defender has the potential to be a real threat when you have someone in midfield with the passing ability of Thiago.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,198 posts | 736 
      Reply #59: Jul 18, 2022 11:57:35 am
      Don't really know what i'm supposed to do with this information. As 7KK7 said, the idea that they're so attuned to the Kenny Dalglish period of 10 plus years ago is a little hard to believe
      It's a funny nonsensical piece of filler type journalism you get in the close season....Even if those supporters think that, that's fine they're free to think whatever they like...Like the rest of us!

Toot Toot
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #60: Jul 18, 2022 12:13:24 pm
      Nunez adds another dimension up top, he plays off the shoulder of defenders, he's a fast and physical presence down the middle and always keeping the central defenders busy. He will finish off any chances in and around the penalty area, a fox in the box if you like and more traditional number 9 rather than the false 9, I'd say similar to Torres. But also a major role he will play is becoming a focal point to freeing up Salah and Diaz to cause absolute mayhem, especially against low block teams and teams that play 10 men behind the ball for example Man United. We have struggled with that occasionally so Darwin can give defenders something different to think about. He'll make decoy runs, drag defenders out of position, get in a strikers position himself rather than drift, find the pockets in the wall of the defence, be a physical nuisance and pain in the ass for the backline and of course bang some F***ing goals in as well as set them up. He scored 34 goals last season, a variety too so I'm really excited to see him lead the line. Let's give the lad time to settle, completely new country and culture for him. I think he's going to be a top player for us under Klopp's guidance and once he's settled in which I truly believe won't be too long.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #61: Jul 18, 2022 03:20:27 pm
      F**k me, the media have written off Nunez already after a couple of friendly appearances.

I hope he doesn’t take this stuff to heart and crumble.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #62: Jul 18, 2022 04:01:22 pm
      F**k me, the media have written off Nunez already after a couple of friendly appearances.

Played a total of 55 minutes? And based on 1 miss when he had Bailly flying in 2 footed in front of him.

Most of the crap being written is coming from the Mancs, but that's just them being bitter because he turned them down.

Anyone with half a brain cell would look at what he done for Benfica last season, look at the world of problems he caused us and realise now probably isn't the time to be judging him. I don't remember any player in the past couple of years causing us the problems that he did last season. Both games against him, there wasn't a time our defence were comfortable and had the control of him. Had the ball in the net 4 times, we got lucky that we were saved by the flag on 2 of them.
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #63: Jul 18, 2022 04:11:41 pm
      Wouldn't say goals being the different dimension because Jota was laregly playing in that role last season and he got plenty. IMO the biggest thing it adds is having a player who is constantly making runs in behind the defence. The last player we had that really done that as a mian strength of theirs and that really benefitted the team was Torres, and before him it was Owen. Having a player that is always on the shoulder of the last defender has the potential to be a real threat when you have someone in midfield with the passing ability of Thiago.

Didn't Sturridge also play off the shoulder? Man he was so fun to watch.

Excited to see Nunez grow and mature in our system. Have no doubt he'll come good, very good.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #64: Jul 18, 2022 05:11:34 pm
      Didn't Sturridge also play off the shoulder? Man he was so fun to watch.

Excited to see Nunez grow and mature in our system. Have no doubt he'll come good, very good.

Sturridge used to drop deep too. Scored some boss goals from dropping back and then hitting one from distance. 1 against the chavs and 1 against West Brom I think it was stand out straight away for me.
      I would probably put Sturridge more in an all round category like Suarez. Those 2 had so much to their game and seemed like they could literally score from anywhere.

Sturridge didn’t fulfil his potential because of injuries but IMO he’s one of the best natural goal scorers we’ve had and that there has been in the Premier League, he always made it look so effortless.

If Nunez can even have half the composure of Sturridge, he’s going to score plenty of goals.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #65: Jul 19, 2022 07:51:41 am

It's just lazy ass journalism based off of a few fans tweeting criticism during pre-season friendlies. Bottom scraper reading simply to get quick clicks.

I think Nunez has looked alright so far, he's quite a big lad but he looks mobile (which is key in our system). I like how he plays on the shoulder, this will suit our counter attack and also stretch the pitch to give others more space to play in. However, it's against the bus parkers where Nunez will have to do his best work, i'm keen to see if we can utilise his heading ability and also to see how he plays against deep lying defences with men behind the ball.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,987 posts | 222 
      Reply #66: Jul 19, 2022 08:32:03 am
      They weren't saying that about him when he was firing them through the Champions League last season and scoring 34 goals for them.

And to be honest, I'd be surprised if Benfica fans even know who Andy Carroll is.

But then again these were American based fans
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,987 posts | 222 
      Reply #67: Jul 19, 2022 08:41:34 am

It’s called sport tv, channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 every weekend they have early kick off couple 3 o’clock kick off plus Sunday game s and midweek games

I’m in the process of getting my dish back up again that I have moved into a new house best sport tv Portugal  channels  are the best around for watching the premier league much cheaper than sky
      « Last Edit: Jul 19, 2022 08:51:02 am by verde-rubro »
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #68: Jul 19, 2022 09:45:40 am
      There has been a lot of noise from opposition fans about his performances. People are so desperate for us to make a mistake in the transfer market that they’ll analyse pre season games.

He is definitely a work in progress. We know he has pace and finishing ability, plays well off the shoulder but needs a lot of work on the ball. It’s not just his limited minutes for us but there are countless clips out there from his time in Portugal that show he is not the most comfortable with the ball at his feet.

I’m not worried about it. If anyone can improve him, it’s Klopp. He won’t be rushed in to the team. I actually don’t see him getting many minutes in the early stages of the season. I reckon it will be similar to Robbo and it might be a few months before he breaks in to the team.

Quick Reply