Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)

Read 81792 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Re: Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)
      Reply #230: Sep 08, 2022 10:34:23 am
      Maybe if we played to his strengths we'd see more joy?

I'm not sure if the wisdom of buying a shiny new VF and then try and shoehorn him into the system that doesn't really suit him.

Smacks of the first time we've recruited a player without a plan for how to integrate him.

Must admit and not sure why I wasn't excited. I really hope our recruitment  have done the due diligence and have Klopps full approval. As you say will take him time to adapt I am hoping a rough diamond
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #231: Sep 08, 2022 12:31:31 pm
      Maybe it's not our midfield that's the problem.....most of our assists came from our fullbacks and right now, they aren't creating sh*t. I suppose you could argue that the mids are getting the ball out wide, but really, that wasn't always the case as it were anyway. I think this problem is bigger than just some lackluster midfield performances. Our all around game doesn't look the same as a year ago. We don't press the same way, we don't create the same way, we don't recycle the ball the same way. We look kind of like a monkey f**king a football out there most of the time.
      Spot on. We are trying to isolate parts of the team, players in particular when, in all honesty, the whole team just looks bad. It's almost as if nobody wants to run, go into battles, jump, etc. The only players I can say I've noticed an actual effort from are Allisson, Diaz, Elliott, Nunez, and Milner. I know people will say Milner is bad and old, but my point is the effort not the quality. When I watch him, I can see he is actually trying and giving all he's got even tho what he's got is not much.

Everybody else is just on vacation it seems.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #232: Sep 08, 2022 03:26:52 pm
      Spot on. We are trying to isolate parts of the team, players in particular when, in all honesty, the whole team just looks bad. It's almost as if nobody wants to run, go into battles, jump, etc. The only players I can say I've noticed an actual effort from are Allisson, Diaz, Elliott, Nunez, and Milner. I know people will say Milner is bad and old, but my point is the effort not the quality. When I watch him, I can see he is actually trying and giving all he's got even tho what he's got is not much.

Everybody else is just on vacation it seems.

Totally agree.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #233: Sep 09, 2022 02:06:03 pm
      He will come good once the team starts playing better.

You can see from the amount of shots he gets off he will score consistently.

In the mean time he should just stay in the box and stay out of the build up play, just like Haaland.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #234: Sep 09, 2022 02:13:45 pm
      Sorry but Milner is just a Red Car dor penalty waiting to happen every time he plays. Fantastic achievements and total commitment but his legs have gone and his timing has always been off but now I cringe every time I see him tackle.
      Darwin needs time to adjust to a team that has lost its identity lets see what Jürgen has planned for the upcoming games
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #235: Sep 09, 2022 02:28:25 pm

In the mean time he should just stay in the box and stay out of the build up play, just like Haaland.
      I agree that it is not serving him well to drop that deep although, right now, every opinion we have is tainted by the farcical displays they have been putting on since the start of the season so we have no idea what is actually working, what should work but isn't because everybody is fooling around, and what is actually not working because its tactically the wrong choice. The reason I say that is that one thing that comes to mind is that we have created next to nothing from counter pressing which is usually our main creative weapon and most probably a big deciding factor when it comes time to scout and recruit players. Almost none of our chances come from losing the ball, immediately press and win the ball back with the other team now on the back foot and our forwards running into space. Every time we lose the ball we either win it back around our box or when the opposition makes a mistake that leads to a goal-kick, throw-in, etc.

My guess is that the idea is Darwin is big, strong, but also very fast, agile and explosive so he'll drop deep to support the counter press, which is anyway a tactic that requires everybody to be switched on, we win the ball back and he's now running into spaces behind the opposition's backline created by winning the ball back so high up the pitch. He has pretty good passing skills for a CF so he also can set up any of the other forward or player making the run with him. Problem is like I mentioned above, there's no counter press other than from him, Diaz, Elliott, Milner and Robbo. The rest of the team is sat there watching.

Again, that's just my opinion because like I said, I dont know what in the world I have been watching those past 6 or 7 games. I could very well be not understanding something or partially understanding something.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #236: Sep 09, 2022 02:43:51 pm
      I think we could see a different side of Darwin with Thiago back in the team.

He is a player who likes to make plays in behind and at the minute we seem to be treating him more like an Andy Carroll type player hoofing the ball up to him and hoping for the best, he did not score those type of goals against us.

Thiago is someone who like Trent can see the bigger picture and play the perfect ball in behind for Nunez to get onto, I have faith.

One thing though, he likes to go out wide to receive the ball but then doesn't seem to be able to do much once out there, would like to see him stick more centrally.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #237: Sep 09, 2022 10:35:28 pm
      I think we could see a different side of Darwin with Thiago back in the team.

He is a player who likes to make plays in behind and at the minute we seem to be treating him more like an Andy Carroll type player hoofing the ball up to him and hoping for the best, he did not score those type of goals against us.

Thiago is someone who like Trent can see the bigger picture and play the perfect ball in behind for Nunez to get onto, I have faith.

One thing though, he likes to go out wide to receive the ball but then doesn't seem to be able to do much once out there, would like to see him stick more centrally.
      For me, the perfect type of team for Nunez to play against is us, which makes me think we won’t get to see the best of him. He likes to make runs off the shoulder and has an abundance of pace which is perfect for high lines like ours, that’s why he had the ball in the net multiple times against us (albeit a few were offside). Typically our opposition is very deep with most, if not all, men behind the ball so he doesn’t get much opportunity to run in behind.

Like it or not, he has a poor first touch and isn’t very good at holding the ball up. You can disagree with me and tell me it’s early days but the signs are there, regardless of how far in to his time. When it happens once or twice you can understand, but I’d say every time he plays you can guarantee at least 3 times when play breaks down because he has mis-controlled or mis-hit the ball .
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #238: Sep 09, 2022 10:58:43 pm
      For me, the perfect type of team for Nunez to play against is us, which makes me think we won’t get to see the best of him. He likes to make runs off the shoulder and has an abundance of pace which is perfect for high lines like ours, that’s why he had the ball in the net multiple times against us (albeit a few were offside). Typically our opposition is very deep with most, if not all, men behind the ball so he doesn’t get much opportunity to run in behind.

Like it or not, he has a poor first touch and isn’t very good at holding the ball up. You can disagree with me and tell me it’s early days but the signs are there, regardless of how far in to his time. When it happens once or twice you can understand, but I’d say every time he plays you can guarantee at least 3 times when play breaks down because he has mis-controlled or mis-hit the ball .

Pretty much sums up how I feel about him so far. It also seems like we have lost any type of ability to counter attack so that certainly won't help his chances.

Hope we find a way to play to his strengths, because he definitely has quite a few. Just not sure it's a match to our playstyle. Time will tell.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #239: Sep 10, 2022 12:18:27 am
      Think he'll be fine but we will have to adapt and give him better service. When you have kind of full backs we have he should be getting plenty of it but it hasn't been there and is a major reason we haven't got going -- we don't get many goals from midfield and the full backs are meant to compensate. Unfortunately the red card interrupted his introduction into a team which has been playing poorly anyway.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #240: Sep 10, 2022 01:53:06 am

This!

Stay in or around the top of the box Darwin, no need to go out to the flanks, we have a red hot Diaz out one wing and our Egyptian King on the other.

Get them crossing in and Trent and Robbo putting some actual decent crosses in and you on the end of them baging them in!!!

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #241: Sep 10, 2022 02:27:33 pm
      Needs time to settle into the way we play. Wouldn't have started the season had Jota been fit.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #242: Sep 14, 2022 09:36:02 am
      Doing fine. Palace hurt his progress and confidence.

Be smashing it soon enough.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #243: Sep 14, 2022 10:35:49 am
      Like most new players, we wont see the best of him this year.

usual 6 months to settle.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #244: Sep 14, 2022 11:00:31 am
      it is as much for the team as it is for him to adapt to a proper no9. We need him to be successful as Mo has become a bit goal shy
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #245: Sep 15, 2022 12:21:52 am
      The physical attributes are all there. It's just the mental side of his game that needs fine tuning and that will come with matches for sure.

He bangs in that first one (like starting all over again) and I guarantee he will become prolific for us.
      « Last Edit: Sep 15, 2022 12:48:42 am by AussieRed »
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #246: Sep 16, 2022 02:51:13 pm
      I wonder if he was. Klopp signing or a computer signing? Like the Salah deal over the German kid which worked out well
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #247: Sep 16, 2022 02:59:38 pm
      I wonder if he was. Klopp signing or a computer signing? Like the Salah deal over the German kid which worked out well

Do you have to have a cynical approach about EVERYTHING with this team? F**k's sake.
      Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #248: Sep 16, 2022 03:07:17 pm
      Do you have to have a cynical approach about EVERYTHING with this team? f**k's sake.

Is this the Queen's thread or are we actually allowed to share our opinions and ask questions about a 65m striker that can barely pass a ball?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #249: Sep 16, 2022 03:10:19 pm
      Is this the Queen's thread or are we actually allowed to share our opinions and ask questions about a 65m striker that can barely pass a ball?

Hyperbole much? He did fine the other night. It would be a hope that supporters wouldn't jump all over the kid's back considering he's still a new squad addition and is likely going to take some time to come up to speed.

But it shouldn't be a surprise as the new breed of fickle supporter is ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater if someone doesn't hit the ground looking like Messi.

Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #250: Sep 16, 2022 03:13:00 pm
      Hyperbole much? He did fine the other night. It would be a hope that supporters wouldn't jump all over the kid's back considering he's still a new squad addition and is likely going to take some time to come up to speed.

But it shouldn't be a surprise as the new breed of fickle supporter is ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater if someone doesn't hit the ground looking like Messi.

I've supported many a sh*te that's come through Anfield throughout the years. This guy struggles to pass a ball. Either way I only asked who we think made the signing and you lot are here getting your knickers in a twist because it fits your agenda.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #251: Sep 16, 2022 03:15:35 pm
      I've supported many a sh*te that's come through Anfield throughout the years. This guy struggles to pass a ball. Either way I only asked who we think made the signing and you lot are here getting your knickers in a twist because it fits your agenda.

What agenda would that be, and pray tell what color my knickers are since you seem to know so much about them?

Nunez has been here for 15 minutes. The other night he literally flashed a ball across the goal that had it not been saved by the keeper would have been a tap in, but you are right, he struggles to pass a ball.

Once again, you could possibly make a reasonable point if you would learn to communicate without coming across as an ass.

Newdawn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 75 
      Reply #252: Sep 16, 2022 03:18:33 pm

Once again, you could possibly make a reasonable point if you would learn to communicate without coming across as an ass.

All I f**king asked was I wonder who made the signing like the Salah one. What more should I have done lit a fire and sang kumbaya?

And your knickers are pvc pink

Quick Reply