Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)

Read 87289 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)
      Reply #368: Oct 27, 2022 07:30:54 am
      Yes, he did not convert the easiest of chances but he paid his dues very well. His header was exceptional, he was being held or pulled by 2 players.

His tracking is very well too. We missed him against Forest.

He's playing with a slight injury too.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #369: Oct 27, 2022 08:59:23 am
      Can’t work out if he’s the smallest tall guy or tallest small guy I’ve ever seen. Looking at him you’d think he was massive but Fab, Van Dijk and Gomez all dwarf him and in the team photo even Bobby looks bigger. Strange one.

Anyway, brilliant header from him last night and a nice bit of defensive work. Still not convinced by him but can’t deny that he’s improving. Well done big (wee) chap.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #370: Oct 27, 2022 09:04:11 am
      Can’t work out if he’s the smallest tall guy or tallest small guy I’ve ever seen. Looking at him you’d think he was massive but Fab, Van Dijk and Gomez all dwarf him and in the team photo even Bobby looks bigger. Strange one.

Funny I noticed this for the first time at the line up for the start of the game last night.

Always had it in my head he was taller than the likes of Fabinho.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #371: Oct 27, 2022 09:07:25 am
      It’s taken until last night for me to actually see his pace in full swing - if he can utilise that with balls over the top and through the middle and get his targeting tight he’ll be a menace.

Raw talent is there to be seen, just needs to hone in on certain things and we could be looking at a very dangerous number 9!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #372: Oct 27, 2022 09:16:51 am
      He’s coming good - fair play to him!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #373: Oct 27, 2022 09:36:04 am
      Got a feeling he will be like Salah in a way, have loads of chances, not be the most clinical but will guarantee goals.

His speed is terrifying, if he can run at pace and keep his composure with the ball and his decision-making, he could be a real threat.

He did well picking out a pass yesterday whereas when coming on against City when running at full speed he lost his mind, so good to see improvements.

I think he will shine at Anfield with the kop behind him.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #374: Oct 27, 2022 10:42:05 am
      The lad is good, and will only get better.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #375: Oct 27, 2022 12:04:54 pm
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #376: Oct 27, 2022 12:18:21 pm

The effort alone was outstanding, but then he reads the pass, cuts it out and brings the ball out. Could have been Virgil in there!
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #377: Oct 27, 2022 12:54:08 pm
      Great to see his heading ability coming to the fore in recent matches. Chris Sutton was talking about how good he was in the air when we signed him. I don't particularly rate his punditry but he couldn't half head a ball so i really took notice when I saw the quotes.

Throw in the fact he is evidently the fastest player in the Prem thus far this year (that surprised me) then you've got some serious potential in there. Granted he needs to improve technically (some of his touches are real eye openers) and he makes some poor decisions on the ball but he's young and he has a great team of coaches working with him.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,197 posts | 1205 
      Reply #378: Oct 27, 2022 04:35:01 pm

Exactly what team work is all about. I used to be a RB and didn't half appreciate help from the forwards or wide players when the oppo was bearing down.

He's starting to do alright is Nunez. Goals, getting involved more. He's a bit mental but he can be a real handful. I suspect he'll never have an especially delicate touch but it will improve and he'll find ways to adapt.
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #379: Oct 27, 2022 11:21:36 pm
      Just heard this stat

Darwin (flop of the summer)  6 goals

Jesus (signing of the summer) 5 goals

Darwin done it in over 400 less minutes, while playing in a new country and league

Bias much?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #380: Oct 27, 2022 11:24:57 pm
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      Reply #381: Oct 28, 2022 07:37:59 am

Wow.

I bet Klopp absolutely loved this.

With him Diaz and Mo on the pitch we have three forwards who will all bust a gut to help out defensively.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 850 
      Reply #382: Oct 28, 2022 01:58:17 pm
      Just heard this stat

Darwin done it in over 400 less minutes, while playing in a new country and league

Bias much?
      Most of the stuff said about Darwin since we signed him is biased or doesn't make much sense. In addition to what you said, we could also say that Darwin got those goals while playing for a team that is having its worst start to a season in recent memory.

Another point is that one of the biggest most visible problems of LFC this season is the almost non-existent supply/creation for its forwards due to the large sinkhole that our midfield turned into. Usually this problem would've been partially covered because of our full-backs playing a bigger creative role than in most teams, but even that isn't present this year with TAA having a nightmare and both full-backs being given a shorter offensive leash in order to have a more compact back four in an effort to stop the bleeding in our defensive line.

With that said, Jesus will continue to be seen as the better signing because of the position his team occupies in the league table. It's that dumb Ballon d'Or logic that took over football I don't know when, where a player's individual performances are measured by how good his team is doing. It's a handy piece of mental gymnastics. Anyway,  if Arsenal starts dropping points and go down the positions in the table, the same people lauding him will turn around and start saying ''he's not scoring enough goals for how much we paid'' and all that.

Bottom line is that its a bit early to make a final judgement about Nunez, but the signs are all there that he will score lots of goals for us, especially if we can fix the supply line bellow him and control games better. At the moment, one thing you notice watching the games is we don't control nothing. We are almost playing counter attacking football except against mediocre opposition who truly don't want nothing to do with having the ball (think second half at the Ibrox or at home against Bournemouth).
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #383: Oct 28, 2022 02:41:18 pm
      The kid's only crime is being transferred the same summer as Haaland.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,196 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #384: Oct 28, 2022 06:04:48 pm
      Just heard this stat

Bias much?

Just shows how biased the press are
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #385: Oct 28, 2022 08:02:52 pm
      Darwin showing real promise, with more playing time, very good with his heading ability. Hope he stays fit, and scores plenty of goals !
      Hopeinmyheart
      • Banned

• 64 posts |
      Reply #386: Oct 29, 2022 11:48:45 pm
      This guy, for that money, is as poor as they come
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,775 posts | 391 
      Reply #387: Oct 30, 2022 07:07:03 am
      Got a feeling he will be like Salah in a way, have loads of chances, not be the most clinical but will guarantee goals.

His speed is terrifying, if he can run at pace and keep his composure with the ball and his decision-making, he could be a real threat.

He did well picking out a pass yesterday whereas when coming on against City when running at full speed he lost his mind, so good to see improvements.

I think he will shine at Anfield with the kop behind him.

I would say you are being pretty disrespectful to Mo Salah there whos finishing is way above Darwin.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #388: Oct 30, 2022 08:37:06 am
      I don’t doubt at all he’s got the potential to be a top striker but the more I watch him the more surprised I get that we spent 64m on someone so far away from being the finished article.

I think clubs like City, Chelsea and United can afford to spend that big on potential but can we? With our limited budget I feel our big spends have to be like Ali and VVD - players who instantly improve us.

I hope to F**k I’m digging this post out in a few months time for how much of a daft tw*t it makes me look but at the moment I can’t help but feel that this was maybe the right signing, but at the wrong time when we needed a ready made replacement for Mane.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      Reply #389: Oct 30, 2022 09:29:19 am
      I would say you are being pretty disrespectful to Mo Salah there whos finishing is way above Darwin.

I am one of Salah's biggest fans and I can appreciate if you give him four chances more often than not he will score one out of four.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      Reply #390: Oct 30, 2022 09:30:06 am
      Got to love the work rate.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFAepstF/

Quick Reply