Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)

Read 89806 times
      RC9, sebby and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Re: Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)
      Reply #529: Jan 30, 2023 10:00:43 am
      Hes still so raw and for the money we paid you would expect his fundamental skills to be a lot better.

We don't spend big that often  and when we do we usually get it right, but this at least in the short term has been a costly transfer considering the state our midfield is in.

Yup he doesn't look a great fit right now. To be fair we haven't had a settled front 3 all season. Until Diaz and Jota are back fit, and Gapko adjusts, we won't really know for sure if Nunez will look like a long term forward for us. So will be next season before we can properly judge.

The bigger question is who will be our front 3 next season out of Diaz, Gapko, Jota, Nunez, Salah, and Firmino? Also Elliot and Carvalho in the mix.

Our luxury of forward options could be problematic if we can't nail down a consistent starting front 3 who can form a rhythm.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,258 posts | 757 
      Reply #530: Jan 30, 2023 11:52:16 am
      I said when he joined I'd reserve judgement until the end of his first season, and I will. However, I feel I can give a "Half term" assessment now.
      Could do better.....As far as I can remember word for word the same as my own school assessments.
      « Last Edit: Jan 30, 2023 01:25:16 pm by Longy-Shops »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #531: Jan 30, 2023 04:54:27 pm
      He's improved a lot, F***ing hell at least he looks dangerous, compare that to Gakpo. Like night and F***ing day!!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #532: Jan 30, 2023 05:11:01 pm
      I’m deflated with all our signings to be honest
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,967 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #533: Jan 30, 2023 05:30:49 pm
      I’m deflated with all our signings to be honest

Well your not exactly the best of judges from past experience are you.  :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,967 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #534: Jan 30, 2023 05:32:57 pm
      He's improved a lot, f**king hell at least he looks dangerous, compare that to Gakpo. Like night and f**king day!!

Don’t think you’ll get the best out of Nunez till midfield sorted out mate. It’s making your forward line look poor and we know that isn’t the case. Salah not getting the service he used to hence the lack of goals.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #535: Feb 01, 2023 12:21:55 am
      Play him as a Striker FFS for the full 95 F***ing minutes!

Bet you he starts banging them in!!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,967 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #536: Feb 01, 2023 05:56:58 am
      Play him as a Striker FFS for the full 95 f**king minutes!

Bet you he starts banging them in!!

Not without a couple of midfielders, that’s possibly where the problems lies with him or at least one of them.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,851 posts | 405 
      Reply #537: Feb 04, 2023 05:16:59 pm
      The way he smashed that shot at Sa just after the hour mark...

Jesus christ Sunday league standard finishing even if it went through the keeper and in.

Not good enough that at this level. Can score, can miss but a top level striker should be showing more composure than that and at least trying to pick a spot.

A remarkable lack of style in everything he does on the pitch.

Atrocious.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #538: Feb 04, 2023 07:10:53 pm

Jesus christ Sunday league standard finishing even if it went through the keeper and in.

Not good enough that at this level. Can score, can miss but a top level striker should be showing more composure than that and at least trying to pick a spot.

Atrocious.

More and more he reminds me of a lad I used to play Sunday league football with. He was fast as f*ck ... but once infront of goal had nothing ... no finese, no quality ... nothing. Just balloned it wide, over ... missed loads of easy chances. He had no game intelligence and if you took his pace away there was pretty much nothing to work with.

We're carrying many and he is one of the many. If Jürgen survives he needs to decide on this lad ... because we could still get a good chunk of his fee back.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,851 posts | 405 
      Reply #539: Feb 05, 2023 08:18:40 am
      More and more he reminds me of a lad I used to play Sunday league football with. He was fast as f*ck ... but once infront of goal had nothing ... no finese, no quality ... nothing. Just balloned it wide, over ... missed loads of easy chances. He had no game intelligence and if you took his pace away there was pretty much nothing to work with.

We're carrying many and he is one of the many. If Jürgen survives he needs to decide on this lad ... because we could still get a good chunk of his fee back.

Get 50 mil you would cut and run wouldnt you really.

Got to give him another season I think but for F**k sake he was saying pre match Klopp has told him to be calmer in his finishing.

All that forgotten when hes racing through 1 v 1 alarm bells clanging in his ears and just thrashing at the football like a b list celebrity on soccer aid.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #540: Feb 06, 2023 12:06:39 am

Atrocious.

Exactly mate, and only just through the week, he put out an interview that said, Jürgen has asked him, when he is shooting at goal, take an extra split second, compose yourself then shoot, because when you just shoot, things don't go to well for you.

He F***ing said it in the interview but didn't F***ing listen!!!
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 182 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #541: Feb 06, 2023 02:54:52 am
      Exactly mate, and only just through the week, he put out an interview that said, Jürgen has asked him, when he is shooting at goal, take an extra split second, compose yourself then shoot, because when you just shoot, things don't go to well for you.

He f**king said it in the interview but didn't f**king listen!!!

I've mentioned this before but the notion that a 85m striker has to be told that he needs composure in front of goal is just delirious.

You can just tell when a player has that cold finisher calmness. Nunez has looked like having the exact opposite of that so far. He might be settling in in a number of ways, tactically and whatnot, but at the end of the day when in a 1v1 situation it's simply the player, the goal, and the keeper. He either has the skill to bury it or he doesn't. And increasingly it seems like he just doesn't have it.

Scary and sad situation building up for both team and player.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #542: Feb 06, 2023 07:56:54 pm
      I've mentioned this before but the notion that a 85m striker has to be told that he needs composure in front of goal is just delirious.

You can just tell when a player has that cold finisher calmness. Nunez has looked like having the exact opposite of that so far. He might be settling in in a number of ways, tactically and whatnot, but at the end of the day when in a 1v1 situation it's simply the player, the goal, and the keeper. He either has the skill to bury it or he doesn't. And increasingly it seems like he just doesn't have it.

He got 34 goals in 41 games last season, the lad knows how to score goals.

He’s got 10 goals in 26 this season which is slightly worse than a 1 in 2 but a fair amount of those appearances have been for barely even 25mins. He put away a fair number of goals in our friendly matches too - yes they don’t count but it’s still matches played nonetheless.

He resembles Suarez’ time with us early on - arrived at the club with a good goal record but massively inconsistent in that first year with lots of chances missed.

With the way the team has been playing in general this season, mixed in with the good stuff he has shown so far and the fact he’s settling in to a new culture, new language etc, I think he can be given the benefit of the doubt. If he is like this next season I will get concerned but right now I’m not.

His first season at Benfica was like this and then he exploded in the 2nd year.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,452 posts | 209 
      Reply #543: Feb 06, 2023 08:01:31 pm
      He will come good next year, convinced of it

Problem is we spent 60-70-80m or whatever it was for someone to come good next year to replace a great player who left
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #544: Feb 07, 2023 12:25:54 am

I am seriosuly not worried about him. I know with a season under his belt, he's gonna be unstoppable.

Yes it's frustrating he's not burying them but hoping he gets his sh*t together for the rest of the Season and beyond.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,160 posts | 1092 
      Reply #545: Feb 07, 2023 04:41:33 am
      I am seriosuly not worried about him. I know with a season under his belt, he's gonna be unstoppable.

Yes it's frustrating he's not burying them but hoping he gets his sh*t together for the rest of the Season and beyond.
      Kid creates chaos!!! He will make good with a better team around him.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,967 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #546: Feb 07, 2023 06:23:37 am

Nunez has be one of the hardest players I’ve tried to assess and still undecided  if he’s of the standard to play for you lot or not.  I’m going bald scratching my head with this fellow.  :lmao:
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,851 posts | 405 
      Reply #547: Feb 07, 2023 09:27:47 am
      Don't think the Suarez links are fair to Luis. Luis almost straight away showed he was immensely talented with the ball at his feet. Similar to Diaz it seemed a matter of time until he exploded.

Nunez looks to me very uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. I'm not sure that will change next season.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #548: Feb 07, 2023 10:15:13 am
      I’m on the fence with him, he’s scatty as F**k
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #549: Feb 07, 2023 11:20:10 am

For the opposition, and for us too? Just think he needs to improve his passing, and decision making. As well as his shooting.
      Mane/Mo/Bob in full flow were just brilliant. The standard set for front lines to follow. The link up, the passing, the speed, the finishing. Even watching clips of them now, some of the goals, some of the games, we had it good with them in their prime.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #550: Feb 07, 2023 05:36:26 pm
      I’m on the fence with him, he’s scatty as f**k

The way he’s been so far, definitely don’t know what you’re going to get - I think a red card, a big miss or scoring record number of goals in a game all have about the same probability and none would be a surprise.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,967 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #551: Feb 07, 2023 05:53:04 pm
      The way he’s been so far, definitely don’t know what you’re going to get - I think a red card, a big miss or scoring record number of goals in a game all have about the same probability and none would be a surprise.

He’s defo got a red card in him KK I just wish I could work the kid out. 🤷‍♂️

Quick Reply