Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Calvin Ramsay Player Thread (D) (Loan to PNE)

Read 12178 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Calvin Ramsay Player Thread (D)
      Reply #46: Jan 30, 2023 05:14:45 pm
      Putting this out there, what was the point in us signing him? He doesn’t even get the slightest look in and we still persist on putting Milner at RB as the alternative to Trent.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #47: Jan 30, 2023 05:16:19 pm
      Putting this out there, what was the point in us signing him? He doesn’t even get the slightest look in and we still persist on putting Milner at RB as the alternative to Trent.

Future rb or another moneyball signing to cash in sometime.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #48: Jan 30, 2023 05:20:20 pm

He is only 19 and has had a few injuries since arriving

Klopp will put him when ready

We had the same conversations when Robbo arrived and why he didn’t start playing until the December etx

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/that-cant-right-calvin-ramsay-26081475.amp
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #49: Jan 30, 2023 08:34:21 pm

I wouldn't read too much into his absence mate.

Likely being primed for more of a role next season. Just a kid after all.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #50: Jan 30, 2023 08:59:46 pm
      I wouldn't read too much into his absence mate.

Likely being primed for more of a role next season. Just a kid after all.

He is just a kid mate ... agree. I've no idea what's happened with him injury wise and I think it's fair to see he seems a way off the 1st team. However we sold a Welsh international footballer who we'd invested alot of time in.

I've said it before and il say it again. It was a books balancing exercise. We got 17m for Williams. They took a punt on this kid for around 4.5m. We made 11+ million.

Nunez needed to be paid for ... 60plus million upfront payment. 35 for sadio ... 20 for taki ... 17m for williams 4m for ben davies , some loan fees job done.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #51: Jan 30, 2023 09:13:27 pm
      The fact that we are as bad as we are and he still doesn't get a look in makes you wonder a bit. All the same he is only a kid and needs time to settle and grow. For the price we paid if he comes good it's a bonus; he might nail down a position, give the squad depth or be sold for a bit of profit. I really do hope he can make it as Trent needs a huge dose of realism to counter his mardy attitude and languid approach to defending.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 791 posts | 273 
      Reply #52: Jan 30, 2023 09:14:00 pm
      He is just a kid mate ... agree. I've no idea what's happened with him injury wise and I think it's fair to see he seems a way off the 1st team. However we sold a Welsh international footballer who we'd invested alot of time in.

I've said it before and il say it again. It was a books balancing exercise. We got 17m for Williams. They took a punt on this kid for around 4.5m. We made 11+ million.

Nunez needed to be paid for ... 60plus million upfront payment. 35 for sadio ... 20 for taki ... 17m for williams 4m for ben davies , some loan fees job done.

Maybe Neco wanted to leave to get regular football, as you say he's a Wales international and had a WC approaching.

I know he had a contract and the club could have forced him to stay but that's usually not a good thing to do in most circumstances.

Neco was a decent player but didn't look likely to overtake Trent. I don't think any of us predicted that Trent would have such a bad season.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #53: Jan 30, 2023 10:38:50 pm
      The fact that we are as bad as we are and he still doesn't get a look in makes you wonder a bit. All the same he is only a kid and needs time to settle and grow. For the price we paid if he comes good it's a bonus; he might nail down a position, give the squad depth or be sold for a bit of profit. I really do hope he can make it as Trent needs a huge dose of realism to counter his mardy attitude and languid approach to defending.

Bajcetic is also a kid but he’s excelling.
      Ramsey might come in and have a similar impact if given a chance
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,611 posts | 365 
      Reply #54: Jan 31, 2023 10:02:16 am

We had the same conversations when Robbo arrived and why he didn’t start playing until the December etx

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/that-cant-right-calvin-ramsay-26081475.amp

So like I said to you when we signed him not ready for the team yet. So leaving the squad with 1 first team right back who is now playing like he doesn't have a worry in the world about maintaining his performance levels.

I'm actually sick of this clubs attitude to the right back position.

1 senior recognised right back and 2 square pegs you can put into the round hole if the sh*t hits the fan is not good enough for any squad in any level of the pyramid.

I dont know of any other club that actually does this.

Don is of course correct, the club saw an opportunity to balance some books, and while Neco may never have cut it here we needed to replace him with someone ready for the first team.

Ramsay might come good and I have no issue with his signing, but he isn't for this season and that has left us short right now.

My instinct tells me he will end up being sold for a small profit in 2 or 3 years time.
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2023 10:09:41 am by __Tickle__ »
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #55: Jan 31, 2023 10:11:12 am
      So like I said to you when we signed him not ready for the team yet. So leaving the squad with 1 first team right back who is now playing like he doesn't have a worry in the world about maintaining his performance levels.

1 senior recognised right back and 2 square pegs you can put into the round hole if the sh*t hits the fan is not good enough for any squad in any level of the pyramid.

He was signed as a back up right back ... replacing a Welsh international ... and he's not ready? Shambolic.

Fsg lapdog comparing to Robbo. Robbo was 25 with alot of experience. He was in the team in november/December and never looked back.

Ramsay was part of a books balancing exercise ... because that's how we operate. Sold Welsh international for 17m ... bought inexperienced raw kid for 5m to replace. 12m towards balancing the books.

Only this club operates like this.

Now I'm not saying neco Williams would set the world on fire ... but any other club selling neco Williams for 17m ... an international with first team experience, would replace him with a better player to replace/challenge the lazy right back/bad attitude we currently have. But no ... this club balances the books and replaces with a player who is raw, inexperienced and nowhere near ready for the first team.

Shambolic. I hope ramsay can make it here. It isn't his fault.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #56: Jan 31, 2023 10:48:04 am

Don is of course correct, the club saw an opportunity to balance some books, and while Neco may never have cut it here we needed to replace him with someone ready for the first team.

Ramsay might come good and I have no issue with his signing, but he isn't for this season and that has left us short right now.

My instinct tells me he will end up being sold for a small profit in 2 or 3 years time.

So now they should have kept Neco Williams who was slaughtered for not being good enough and wasn’t playing because Klopp played TAA week in week out Williams wanted to leave for regular first team football - which he now gets

Milner has been more than fine as a right back and so has Gomez

You can spend money on another right back only to see him sit on the bench because Klopp will play TAA week in week out in the Prem and CL
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #57: Jan 31, 2023 11:32:33 am

correct
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #58: Jan 31, 2023 11:34:10 am

Only this club operates like this.

Sorry mate, the majority of football clubs around the world try and balance the books. cheatski & city are the oddity's.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,611 posts | 365 
      Reply #59: Jan 31, 2023 12:22:55 pm
      So now they should have kept Neco Williams who was slaughtered for not being good enough and wasn’t playing because Klopp played TAA week in week out Williams wanted to leave for regular first team football - which he now gets

Milner has been more than fine as a right back and so has Gomez

You can spend money on another right back only to see him sit on the bench because Klopp will play TAA week in week out in the Prem and CL

No we should have replaced Neco with someone who is ready for first team football. Like I said in the post you actually quoted pal :dunceblock: :lmao:

Sadly the club was more interested in recouping some Darwin money and left the right back position light yet again.

I had this discussion with you at the beginning of the season about how an 18 year old lad from the SPL would need not be premier league ready and you argued that toss about that for weeks.

Now its nice of you to finally admit he isn't ready. The only problem with that is we could really do with someone who is ready. Me being right and you being wrong is of no help to anybody sadly but what can you do?
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2023 12:34:05 pm by __Tickle__ »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #60: Jan 31, 2023 12:40:00 pm
      No we should have replaced Neco with someone who is ready for first team football. Like I said in the post you actually quoted pal :dunceblock: :lmao:

Sadly the club was more interested in recouping some Darwin money and left the right back position light yet again.

I had this discussion with you at the beginning of the season about how an 18 year old lad from the SPL would need not be premier league ready and you argued that toss about that for weeks.

Now its nice of you to finally admit he isn't ready. The only problem with that is we could really do with someone who is ready. Me being right and you being wrong is of no help to anybody sadly but what can you do?

More interested in recouping money 🤷‍♂️ very subjective isn’t without any proof at the day

Klopp clearly rates TAA and is going to play him every game - so they bring in someone they can develop and could play first team but has had injury issues since he has arrived
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,611 posts | 365 
      Reply #61: Jan 31, 2023 12:43:10 pm

More interested in recouping money 🤷‍♂️ very subjective isn’t without any proof at the day

Klopp clearly rates TAA and is going to play him every game - so they bring in someone they can develop and could play first team but has had injury issues since he has arrived

Like you say we have no choice. We have to balance the books under FSG.

With a bigger budget I don't think we would go in with Milner as our second choice right back but Klopp might well be off his f**king head I suppose. Unlikely but anything is theoretically possible in your world of tedious whataboutery.

For the record back on planet earth Milner has been playing as many minutes as Trent recently.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #62: Jan 31, 2023 12:45:37 pm
      Like you say we have no choice. We have to balance the books under FSG.

With a bigger budget I don't think we would go in with Milner as our second choice right back but Klopp might well be off his f**king head I suppose. Unlikely but anything is theoretically possible in your world of tedious whataboutery.

Even when we had Williams regardless of how TAA played he only played in the cup games - TAA played every single week

Ramsey was brought in to provide support and injury has held him back not ability.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,611 posts | 365 
      Reply #63: Jan 31, 2023 12:53:30 pm
      Even when we had Williams regardless of how TAA played he only played in the cup games - TAA played every single week

Ramsey was brought in to provide support and injury has held him back not ability.

And I'm saying to you it's bitten us on the arse.

Provide support is a vague term but any back up right back will have to actually come up against proper footballers on the pitch in proper games of football that really matter.

Trent can't play every game. Injury, rotation, lack of form, cup games. A club at this level in a game that is increasingly a squad game needs options that can play right now.

He is over his injuries, he's just not ready for this level yet. Maybe next season, perhaps the one after but he is not this season.

The club had to sign a right back cover in the same way we have left back cover for Robbo.

Like I've already said I dont know any other club who operates with 1 recognised right back. If anyone does point the club out.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #64: Jan 31, 2023 01:03:49 pm
      He's a top level talent who has been very unlucky with injury and a sending off.

Some people need to stop wetting the bed and using the kid to illustrate how frustrated you are.

We're all frustrated - kid is a great signing and will be a huge asset. He'll be twice the player Neco is once he's up and running.

He is neither the problem, nor symptomatic of the problem - he just isnt the solution.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #65: Jan 31, 2023 01:10:29 pm

James Milner and Joe Gomez are perfectly capable RB cover players.

Trent on form is one of the World's best full backs so very difficult to buy a player to sit patiently behind him if he's going to play more often than not.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #66: Jan 31, 2023 01:21:24 pm
      And I'm saying to you it's bitten us on the arse.

Provide support is a vague term but any back up right back will have to actually come up against proper footballers on the pitch in proper games of football that really matter.

Trent can't play every game. Injury, rotation, lack of form, cup games. A club at this level in a game that is increasingly a squad game needs options that can play right now.

He is over his injuries, he's just not ready for this level yet. Maybe next season, perhaps the one after but he is not this season.

The club had to sign a right back cover in the same way we have left back cover for Robbo.

Like I've already said I dont know any other club who operates with 1 recognised right back. If anyone does point the club out.

Milner stepped in against City - how did he do ?

Gomez has also played a few games as right back

More than adequate cover for TAA
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #67: Jan 31, 2023 11:58:11 pm
      Surely by now people should know that Klopp only puts players in when he think it’s the right time

Surely you can see Trent can't defend for sh*t!

Bacjetic come in for an under performing Fab

Why not get a rocket up Trent's arse and let him realize, he has younger competition compared to thinking he only has to compete for his spot with a 37 year old!!!
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #68: Feb 01, 2023 12:02:03 am
      Surely you can see Trent can't defend for sh*t!

Bacjetic come in for an under performing Fab

Why not get a rocket up Trent's arse and let him realize, he has younger competition compared to thinking he only has to compete for his spot with a 37 year old!!!

We had a Welsh international who we'd invested in as backup to trent. He was sold for 17m in a books balancing exercise and replaced by a raw kid with no experience ...

No issue letting Williams go ... but you'd think we'd get a better player than Williams in ... but no ... we got a kid and banked 12m.

Quick Reply