Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Palace [Premier League] Mon 15th Aug @ 8:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 7th of August and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W9 D3 L3

Women's Euros 2022 Winners: England.

Read 1679 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,701 posts | 6045 
      Re: Women's Euros 2022 Winners: England.
      Reply #92: Jul 31, 2022 09:35:34 pm
      Women were still banned from playing football by the FA 56 years ago. I read somewhere that we banned women from football for 50 years from about 1920.

I agree with your point though. There can't  be a comparison; obviously a massive gap between the men's and women's games. Women's football is only recently becoming professional, the wages are nowhere near the men's, there are only a few clubs and the crowds are much smaller.

I wish them well and if they want to expand the game steer clear of the traits of the Mens game and it will attract younger members and families. Womans football was quite big before the FA banned it so the FA have been corrupt and inept for more than 100 years.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,149 posts | 813 
      Reply #93: Jul 31, 2022 10:54:24 pm
      Well done to England women and their class act of a coach. Germany I thought had the upper hand for a fair bit of it -- in the latter stages especially -- and played some good stuff but England hung in there and got a scrappy winner. The two first goals for each side were excellent in the build up and execution, and are further evidence of why the women's game can be enjoyable to watch.

I thought the crowd on the whole was decent, at least observing the national anthem of the opposite team with respect, which you cannot always say about the bunch of idiots who usually turn up to support the men's team. In some ways it's a bit of a throwback the women's game because so many of them are just ordinary people who work hard and do it as their passion without getting paid a lot and I find that aspect a refreshing change from what we're used to with the men.
      gazred
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts | 27 
      Reply #94: Aug 01, 2022 08:52:29 am
      I wish them well and if they want to expand the game steer clear of the traits of the Mens game and it will attract younger members and families. Womans football was quite big before the FA banned it so the FA have been corrupt and inept for more than 100 years.

The FA have been inept for years, very conservative and like an old men's club. But, to be fair to them, they appear to have make good progress in recent years to promote inclusion of women  and other groups who have felt excluded from football.

But the FA didn't exist in a vacuum for the last 100 years, they reflected the social attitudes of the time and still do. There has been a lot of sexism in football clubs, players and fans. There still is significant  problems but it's improving.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,701 posts | 6045 
      Reply #95: Aug 01, 2022 10:39:22 am
      wonder how long it will be before the Press start turning on them as a team or individuals . Hope they perform better at Trafalgar Sq today better than the Cricket team did well Pieterson and Flintoff anyway.
      Nice that we have given the Germans something else to moan about now with the ghost handball along with Geoff Hursts ghost goal
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,081 posts | 764 
      Reply #96: Aug 01, 2022 05:36:31 pm
      They won a big Trophy, but it says nothing of the quality of the team and there is no equivalent to the mens game. I watched the final and supported the team, but the quality was mostly poor with odd moments of brilliance. First goal was a quality chip. Second goal was completely farcical.

Summed up by the fact that Germany couldn't even get the ball away from the corner for at least 5 minutes because their skill and ball control is appalling. Glad to see the team win, but unbelievable that Germany didn't get a pen for that blatant handball on the line in the first half.

BBC gloated that there was a bigger attendance than in the final vs Italy... totally ignoring the fact that the capacity for that Final was capped due to COVID regulations. 
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,701 posts | 6045 
      Reply #97: Aug 01, 2022 06:33:26 pm
      They won a big Trophy, but it says nothing of the quality of the team and there is no equivalent to the mens game. I watched the final and supported the team, but the quality was mostly poor with odd moments of brilliance. First goal was a quality chip. Second goal was completely farcical.

Summed up by the fact that Germany couldn't even get the ball away from the corner for at least 5 minutes because their skill and ball control is appalling. Glad to see the team win, but unbelievable that Germany didn't get a pen for that blatant handball on the line in the first half.

BBC gloated that there was a bigger attendance than in the final vs Italy... totally ignoring the fact that the capacity for that Final was capped due to COVID regulations. 

get with the programme mate "men" bad "women" good.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,701 posts | 6045 
      Reply #98: Aug 01, 2022 06:42:28 pm
      there is also a clamour for Women to get the same as men playing for England well be careful what you wish for because I understand they have donated there match fees for some years now playing for nothing.
      gazred
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts | 27 
      Reply #99: Aug 01, 2022 07:34:34 pm
      there is also a clamour for Women to get the same as men playing for England well be careful what you wish for because I understand they have donated there match fees for some years now playing for nothing.

Both the England men's team and women's team are paid £2000 per England game by the FA, there has been parity for a few years. The men can obviously donate their money to charity as it's relatively small change for them.

England woman captain earns £200,000 per year.
      England men's captain earns more than that in 1 week. 

Average WSL salary is £47,000 per year.
      Average PL salary is £8,200,000 per year.

There is obviously no comparison between the 2. The men earn a lot more because PL football brings in the money and subsidies the women's game at the big clubs. It will take years for the women's game to get closer to the men's game. This also reflects in the quality of the football, a lot of very promising women players will have left the game because of the lack of financial support/reward.
      gazred
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts | 27 
      Reply #100: Aug 01, 2022 07:36:42 pm
      get with the programme mate "men" bad "women" good.

Men's and women's football= good

LFC football= better  ;D
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,701 posts | 6045 
      Reply #101: Aug 01, 2022 07:47:45 pm
      If SKY lose premier league football and then take up Womans super league how many people would stay with SKY. ? The Mens game attracts literally £billions from all over the World comparison are dangerous for the women they should concentrate expanding the "Brand" of Womens football and forget where the mens game is.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum David Johnson

• 245 posts | 44 
      Reply #102: Aug 01, 2022 09:05:13 pm
      If SKY lose premier league football and then take up Womans super league how many people would stay with SKY. ? The Mens game attracts literally £billions from all over the World comparison are dangerous for the women they should concentrate expanding the "Brand" of Womens football and forget where the mens game is.
      The men's and Women's game will co exist independently of each other as with every other sport.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,701 posts | 6045 
      Reply #103: Aug 04, 2022 07:07:57 pm
      The men's and Women's game will co exist independently of each other as with every other sport.

no they won't
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum David Johnson

• 245 posts | 44 
      Reply #104: Aug 04, 2022 07:26:25 pm
      OK thanks for letting me know ...what the F**K was I thinking?

Quick Reply