Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

What the Team will be Like This Season

Read 3849 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      What the Team will be Like This Season
      Jul 29, 2022 12:45:07 pm
      How do you expect us to do in our competitions and how are we going to play?
      Pep Ljinders says on the official site this is what the team is working on in preseason to improve.

"With one goal: to be able to press over 95 minutes. Result-wise, concede less and score more against direct top-four opposition – that's for sure, haha! Performance-wise, for example, finishing better our counter-attack moments, making sure we play the extra pass. I think offensively the main improvement point is having less players but more initiative in our build-up to outplay the deep-defending sides better, a flexible structure to break the opposition last line more easily. "

These are the things they want to do better.

What are you expecting?

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: What the Team will be Like This Season
      Reply #1: Jul 29, 2022 02:46:28 pm

I'm expecting more of what we have seen for most of the last four seasons.

Domestic cups you need a lot of luck in the early rounds.  If you get teams away from home in the Premier League then it's a real 50/50 with the kind of squads we will be putting out. 

Sitting here now I'd expect Chelsea and Arsenal to be better than last year but it still look highly likely it's going to be City and us fighting it out.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2: Jul 29, 2022 03:24:26 pm
      Us fighting for all cups and heavily challenging Man City.

Salah's contract will give us major reassuring.

I think we will be 2nd again :(
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3: Jul 29, 2022 04:45:09 pm
      We’re going to win the f***in lot, that’s why we’re here isn’t it, no point entering competition’s if your not in it to win it, why shouldn’t we settle for second as Clint believes, this is a empty canvass and I see no reason to fear anyone including City,

We have Foden saying Haaland will be unstoppable  in front of goal, really? it would be foolhardy to suggest he’s not quality, he is, but by what percentage is he going to improve a side which already can reach the very top, will he be the difference for them in the CL, will he make it easier for them to win another domestic title ? Well not necessarily, every side in the premiership will have improved squads and so have f***in we, it will be another two horse race in the end, neck & neck and pipped at the post kind of deal, so I guess it’s down to who makes the least mistakes,

Mistakes lost us the title last season, and we’re trying to rectify those by perhaps using a slightly different system or way of playing the system, it’s unusual for Jürgen to have a out and out striker in Nunez, that tells me he’s trying something different and that has to be applauded, it’s a bit of a dilemma trying to figure out who plays where or when, what will be our knew front three when all are fit and healthy, will Bobby still be in the false 9 role or will young Carvahal play the Coutinho role as a ten, will Jota & Nunez share the striker role flanked by Mo & Diaz,

I don’t expect anything changing at the back with all the usual suspects vying for spots in front of Alisson, I cannot see Jürgen moving from having Fabinho in front of them, but what of the other 5, that’s where the changes will be, and you can guess which of those will feature regularly….from Hendo, Thiago, Naby, Curtis, Harvey, AOC, Milner, Carvahal, Bobby, Mo, Jota,  Diaz, Nunez my f***in  heads sore just looking at those names never mind picking a side ffs, but you look at them and say Holy Mother Of f***in God, that is a good f***in squad,

Personally i wouldn’t be too disappointed if the domestic cups took a back seat this season, it was great to familiarise with those two old friends last season but the EPL & CL are the real deal for me and I want us %100 on them this time round.

IMAGINE BEING US !!!

Y  N  W  A
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #4: Jul 29, 2022 04:47:16 pm
      I think tiredness will take its toll unfortunately
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #5: Jul 29, 2022 09:48:09 pm
      I think it’s going to be a really interesting season for a number of reasons:

- We’ve got a WC bang smack in the middle of the season and everyone seems under-cooked going into the new season.

- we’ve lost a really important player, city have lost a couple too

-both us and city have gone out and bought big number 9s which flies in the face of everything Klopp and Pep have done previously. I’m fascinated (and a bit nervous to see how it goes).

- Spurs will be better, Arsenal will be better. The mancs surely will be better and Chelsea (fook knows!). On the one hand you don’t want them to get better but I think it’s better for us if they do.

I think it’s going to be a great season though. Expect us and City to battle it out but the others will be closer.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #6: Jul 29, 2022 10:16:09 pm
      Think if Nunez fires we will be ok . If he takes a while to settle and Jota out for a while it may be a stuttering start . Can't see it being US and City running away with it . Impressed with Spurs and some good signings think they will grab third.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #7: Jul 29, 2022 11:06:54 pm
      I think it will be us and City again with us coming top. I can see a repeat of the 19/20 season when we win the league after missing out by 1 point the season before. I think we will focus more on the league and play weaker teams in the cups.
      Mo should be back to his best with a good rest, a long mid season break (due to WC) and the contract sorted. We will miss Mane but he's the only significant loss this summer. We've added Nunez, Carvalho and a lot of the other players will have improved, especially Elliot, Gomez, Luiz, Jones and a few of the other kids.
      Maybe Hendo and Thiago will be older and slower but we can manage that with less minutes on the pitch.

Arsenal and Spurs will be tougher opponents and I think they will be fighting for 3rd and 4th. Chelsea appear to have gone backwards and I think United will struggle to stay in the top 6.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Jul 29, 2022 11:06:56 pm
      If Nunez gets off to a flyer, if Diaz keeps improving, if Mo gets back to his normal level after being slightly off towards the back end of last season. And if Diaz & Mo click with Nunez. It's not that Mo is greedy, his game is about making it happen, creative striker. Nunez is predatatory, sits on the shoulder, wants the early ball.

Bobby, Sadio and Mo ripped it for years but can we expect the new look front three to click right from the start. This is the crucial factor. Can it work from the off. Also will Carvalho fit in. It is not a given that we will just carry on getting results week in week out.

We took it to the wire in all 4 comps last season, getting to that level this year is going to be very difficult. It would all have to click in place, no big injuries etc. We will compete, we will be a force in Europe but we can't call it till we see more evidence of how it all pans out. Big test V City. 
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #9: Jul 30, 2022 01:23:17 am
      A few things I expect:

1. We'll be able to cope with the loss of Sadio. Diaz (and Jota) will do the job.
      2. Nunez will be hit and miss this season, as he'll need to get used to the league (I do have faith he'll be a massive success in the long run though).
      3. Nunez presence will also give us an additional dimension. We'll be able to mix our tactics a bit more, and it'll help us break down the 'bus parkers'.
      4. We'll start to feel our midfield players age. They'll have more injuries than before.
      5. Not completely unrelated to the point 4, Carvalho will be the surprise of the season. He'll get a lot more game time than we might expect.
      6. Trophy wise, I don't expect us to win both cups, unfortunately.
      7. The PL will be a 3-team race: us, City and Chelsea.
      8. Unlike last year, we'll hit the ground running, whilst City and Chelsea will struggle. The mid-season World Cup will hurt us badly, so it'll be up to us to create a gap large enough to win the League.
      9. We'll laugh at Everton's misfortunes.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10: Jul 30, 2022 01:23:30 am
      F***ing awesome!
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #11: Jul 30, 2022 01:48:21 am
      I actually have no idea.
      City have got rid of quite a few reliable squad players which might unsettle them. That gives me hope.

But for us, our midfield needs to be protected. There is a big drop off in quality from Thiago and Fabinho to Jones and Milner. If Thiago and Fabinho stay fit that would be a massive boost.

The other thing is our strikers. Salah needs to find form and not let the last 4 months of last season follow him into this season.
      Nunez has to hit the ground running, especially with jota out.
      And Diaz can’t afford to have a second season blues.

I’m fairly optimistic but we can’t allow city to get a big points lead again.

As for the other teams.. I think arsenal and spurs will be better. United and Chelsea could go either way.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #12: Jul 30, 2022 08:02:48 pm
      Pep Ljinders says on the official site this is what the team is working on in preseason to improve.

"With one goal: to be able to press over 95 minutes. Result-wise, concede less and score more against direct top-four opposition – that's for sure, haha! Performance-wise, for example, finishing better our counter-attack moments, making sure we play the extra pass. I think offensively the main improvement point is having less players but more initiative in our build-up to outplay the deep-defending sides better, a flexible structure to break the opposition last line more easily. "

What are you expecting?

Think today we saw some of those thi
      ngs Pep Ljinders mentioned.  Promising.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #13: Aug 01, 2022 10:00:33 pm
      The key for us is can we hit the ground running? Minimise the silly dropped points compared to the first half of last season and see if we can open up a lead because City just know how to get it done if they've got their noses in front with 8-10 to play.

Given how tight it is though, it'll probably come down to who deals with the World Cup disruption best. Diaz and Salah getting a month off is big but we all know that we don't deal well with big gaps between games...

Also expect improvement from all other teams in the 'big 6' and I think one of them will go with us and City until at least March this time.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #14: Aug 02, 2022 12:47:40 am
      I expect much of the same. Hopefully with less complacency against so called lesser sides, who have scored early against us and held on with a ten man defence, to draw or even win.
      If we can eliminate that, with the squad we now have, we can go on and win it all this season. We’ve started with the charity shield, now let’s get the rest.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #15: Aug 02, 2022 08:59:55 am

What are you expecting?

This team is gonna smash everyone.

Simples.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #16: Aug 02, 2022 12:18:53 pm
      Diogo Jota signed to new 5 year contract.

He has scored 34 goals in 85 games. 40 % of games he's been in.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #17: Aug 02, 2022 12:21:35 pm
      Diogo Jota signed to new 5 year contract.

He has scored 34 goals in 85 games. 40 % of games he's been in.

not bad for a bit part player as some would say.
      In answer to the title of thread this team is going to be f***in awesome the best yet
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #18: Aug 02, 2022 03:26:26 pm
      The ‘goal’ is simple but the actuality isn’t, the bar has been set so high in recent seasons it’s became the norm for us fickle lot to keep expecting the same season on season,
      Both horses in this race have improved squads with both trying to implement a advantage over the other, and this is where we could see the pendulum swing in our favour,
      City with their oily millions brought in Haaland hoping he rips up premiership defences and renders us all as loser’s, however, giving away two of your most experienced forwards in Jesus & the greedy cnut has weakened not strengthened them and believe this will prove a major F**k up from Pep G, what if injury were to succumb goldie lock’s to weeks of treatment, who’s scoring their goals ?

We on the other hand have also improved but for us we have actually strengthened despite Mane going, he didn’t need replacing cos he was already here in Diaz, Jota once recovered will soon be back to his free scoring best, with Mo committing the rest of his career with us it’s easy to see why we are considered highly dangerous, especially with Bobby conducting from behind, Oh but wait, something’s are missing, two elements three if you also consider Harvey, that will bring extra dynamism, excitement and thrilling times to Anfield and the whole of the premiership, especially our beast of a striker Nunez, he’s such a exciting addition, one that will surprise many perhaps even some of us,

Let’s just remind ourselves that Jürgen don’t buy  failures, in his 7 years only one has fell under the radar, One, that’s pretty good considering the financial difference between us,
      The media and pundits alike will have City winning it again, those same pundits will all be wanking lyrically over how goldie locks will make Citeh practically unbeatable, Merson and his equally brain dead mates talking bollocks as usual, coming out with whopper’s like we didn’t actually win anything cos penalties got in the way, tw*t !!

The options we have now at our disposal are equal if not better than City’s, especially up front, including tweaking the system to suit certain scenarios, the system we’ve used hasn’t particularly been the best up against the bus parking fraternity, but now I think we are well equipped now for anything anyone throws at us, with the introduction of 5 subs rather than 3 will prove vital against the most stubborn defences/bus parkers,

Without being too arrogant 🤪 I think we under Jürgen are becoming the ultimate side, it’s the unity we have, how we are all the same, all fighting for each other, all wanting the same thing, the fluidity, rhythm, pace & press, add power, height, passing and intelligence it’s a no brainer isn’t it ?

Now contrast us to Keith’s mob………..

……….Have you stopped laughing yet ?   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Y  N  W  A
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #19: Aug 02, 2022 03:48:40 pm
      the great thing about Jürgen is that we have improved every year since he came here which is just an incredible achievement.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #20: Aug 02, 2022 04:45:24 pm
      Here's my predictions (guesses) for the season at hand....

• Jota will finish top scorer in the side
      • Trent will finish top assists
      • Nunez will be hit/miss, but will improve as the season progresses...  next year will be his breakout season
      • Harvey will start slow, but will be a regular starter by the end of the campaign
      • Mo and Diaz will both get 10+ goals and 10+ assists in all comps
      • Matip will start as the preferred partner to VVD, but Konate will take over by the end of the season
      • We will win either the league or the CL
      • We will go far in both domestic cups, but won't lift either
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #21: Aug 03, 2022 01:53:33 am
      We will see the same Klopp-Liverpool with one big exception: Nunez will make us do more crosses, intended for direct headers. We do not need to play it out anymore City-style, we now will also have the option to plainly force it via a cross to Nunez in the middle of the box.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #22: Aug 03, 2022 08:18:21 am
      We will see the same Klopp-Liverpool with one big exception: Nunez will make us do more crosses, intended for direct headers. We do not need to play it out anymore City-style, we now will also have the option to plainly force it via a cross to Nunez in the middle of the box.

What the actual F**k are you gobbing off at, so what you are saying is we won’t bother building from the back anymore we’re just gonna lump it up to Nunez so he can have a go at heading the ball goalwards, f***in can’t wait for the season to start now that our game changing tactics have been revealed , i dunno but I’m sure the rest of the premiership are positively bricking it having to face us !!!

FFS honestly!!!

Quick Reply