Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v City?

Adrián
      3 (4.1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      7 (9.6%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (2.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (4.1%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.4%)
       Fabinho
      3 (4.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.7%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      9 (12.3%)
      Luis Diaz
      5 (6.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      14 (19.2%)
      Darwin Núñez
      24 (32.9%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: Aug 03, 2022 06:59:53 pm

Manchester City 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 12819 times
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Re: Manchester City 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Jul 31, 2022 02:34:46 am
      You can never judge Haaland on the first game but I felt, as ever, that De Bruyne was far and away their most superior player. From what I heard pre season, I really banked on Haaland being at least a close second to KDB but there were numerous City players who had better displays. Haaland was surprisingly benign and to say Virgil has had tougher battles would be an understatement.

I reckon City will have to play a more direct, counter attacking game to get the best out of Haaland.

I said it before, but Alvarez is much better suited to the way City operates. We saw it today, and not simply because he scored. He's much more mobile than Haaland.

Obviously they'll have to prioritize their marquee signing and perhaps adjust their style to accommodate him, as you say. Time will tell whether that's good for us or not in the long run.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #277: Jul 31, 2022 10:34:03 am
      Haaland has had what 40 mins pre season and  some already questioning him just has some questioned Darwin . Finding the whole comparison thing a bit boring tbh.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #278: Jul 31, 2022 10:35:59 am
      You can never judge Haaland on the first game but I felt, as ever, that De Bruyne was far and away their most superior player. From what I heard pre season, I really banked on Haaland being at least a close second to KDB but there were numerous City players who had better displays. Haaland was surprisingly benign and to say Virgil has had tougher battles would be an understatement.

I reckon City will have to play a more direct, counter attacking game to get the best out of Haaland.

Fair enough...but WTF was that attempt in the first half....(just after he missed the half chance)......all he had to do was jump an inch or two, lean forward and nod it in...instead he does some crazy Fosbury flop lunge at it...was he trying to jump over the feckin' bar..FFS....and then he lunged at it with his right foot, then crumbles to the deck in a heap...

I mean very acrobatic and entertaining but he's a goalscorer not a feckin' circus act..
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,976 posts | 666 
      Reply #279: Jul 31, 2022 10:42:02 am
      I said it before, but Alvarez is much better suited to the way City operates. We saw it today, and not simply because he scored. He's much more mobile than Haaland.

Obviously they'll have to prioritize their marquee signing and perhaps adjust their style to accommodate him, as you say. Time will tell whether that's good for us or not in the long run.
      Haarland is a top striker. whether or not he fits the club, as you say only time will tell. On the evidence of yesterday's performance, the investment in Grealish looks misplaced...he had a shocker.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #280: Jul 31, 2022 10:46:55 am
      Sadly Haaland isnt going to flop is he whether he can maintain form for 60 games is another thing time will tell but Nunez looks very lively and a good option from what we have had in the last 5 years or so which did ok didn't it. New season new players new opportunities
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #281: Jul 31, 2022 10:55:24 am
      Haarland is a top striker. whether or not he fits the club, as you say only time will tell. On the evidence of yesterday's performance, the investment in Grealish looks misplaced...he had a shocker.

Grealish is not really a natural winger. Grealish is better playing just off the front three, down the left He doesn't have the trickery or the pace for an out and out winger. Had a very average season last season. No clue why Pep would sell Sterling, far better wide player that Grealish.

Yeah take the piss out of Haaland but he will score 20 odd. City dominate most games, penning teams in, not entirely certain that will suit Haaland. He instincts will need to be sharper, he wasn't alert enough for the rebound off Adrian. Still can't argue with his record. West Ham first go and they won't stand off him.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #282: Jul 31, 2022 11:31:06 am
      Fair enough...but WTF was that attempt in the first half....(just after he missed the half chance)......all he had to do was jump an inch or two, lean forward and nod it in...instead he does some crazy Fosbury flop lunge at it...was he trying to jump over the feckin' bar..FFS....and then he lunged at it with his right foot, then crumbles to the deck in a heap...

I mean very acrobatic and entertaining but he's a goalscorer not a feckin' circus act..
      Most the young uns on here are now scratching their barnets wondering what the Fck is a Fosbury flop 🤣🤣
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #283: Jul 31, 2022 11:50:50 am
      Good performance yesterday, nice to beat this lot given the rivalry and great for Jürgen to complete the domestic silverware collection. When I was a my eye was always drawn to the charity shield in the team photos and it was my favourite trophy along with big ears.  Not reading much into the game itself, city looked like a team who were playing only their 3rd (and final) pre season game. I wasn’t aware that this is standard preparation for Pep and that he takes a different approach to pre season. Hopefully they drop a few points early doors. We look ready though, the lads look fit, the new signings have played well and touch wood (with exception of the goal keepers and Jota) everyone is fit.

Great start for Nunez, am loving his energy and passion and gets about the pitch.

Salah looked in good form too with some excellent touches and close control.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #284: Jul 31, 2022 12:25:39 pm
      Imagine...A city state like the Vatican, with Nadine Dorries or Ester Mcveigh as first minister...Godforbid

Welcome to Charter Cities!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #285: Jul 31, 2022 12:26:27 pm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #286: Jul 31, 2022 12:36:06 pm
      I missed the beginning of the game, just catching up with the start.
      Something of note, only Ian Rush shook the hands of the players & the mascots before the game, the others only shook the hands of the players.
      Says a lot that.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,976 posts | 666 
      Reply #287: Jul 31, 2022 12:47:46 pm
      Grealish is not really a natural winger. Grealish is better playing just off the front three, down the left He doesn't have the trickery or the pace for an out and out winger. Had a very average season last season. No clue why Pep would sell Sterling, far better wide player that Grealish.

Yeah take the piss out of Haaland but he will score 20 odd. City dominate most games, penning teams in, not entirely certain that will suit Haaland. He instincts will need to be sharper, he wasn't alert enough for the rebound off Adrian. Still can't argue with his record. West Ham first go and they won't stand off him.
      Agree with your points on Grealish. At Villa he was the main man and basically drove the team. At City KDB has that role and therefore another role had to be created for him. This new role doesn't really work and limits his influence. A square peg etc.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,976 posts | 666 
      Reply #288: Jul 31, 2022 12:50:01 pm
      Something of note, only Ian Rush shook the hands of the players & the mascots before the game, the others only shook the hands of the players.
      Says a lot that.

Shake hands...One of Alan Bleasdale's finest charactors
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #289: Jul 31, 2022 01:23:14 pm
      My thoughts

Haaland is a flop, City accrues 90+ points. Haaland is a success, City accrues 90+ points. As someone said, he'll score goals but you still only get 3pts for a win.

The only negatives I can draw from yesterday were Trent's first-half performance, and Henderson's full-game performance (I felt he was full of running, but running aimlessly, and he seemed a yard off, everything). I also have this niggling anxiety that we might have peaked too soon. I know the season hasn't even started, but either we are that good that sharp, always, and will more or less maintain that form from now until May, or we are close to peaking right now. That said, our performances throughout most seasons under Klopp, have, on the whole, been consistent with a very high standard, but yesterday we moved the ball around and played like we were halfway through a season. It is possible to peak so soon. Nah, screw it, we're that good! :D

I think we'll struggle, if anywhere, in midfield. Fab can sweep up, and Thiago can spray the ball over any angle, but I think we lack a strong presence there, one who can put their foot on the ball in the middle of the park and calm things down when required. Keita is too small, and I don't think he impacts games for us (the odd goal here and there) half as much as I would like; he isn't the imposing presence I think we need. I also think Henderson is starting to look a big leggy and has done for about a season and a half. As I said, he seems to be covering the ground required, but we are not closing down fast enough. That might just be the fluency with which the second-best team in the world, play.

I actually felt sorry for Haaland yesterday. The hype is not from him but the media and all the money in the world can't comfort you when you are 23 years of age in a new country with new teammates and all that pressure and scrutiny. I think Haaland will need some games under him before he starts to feel like he's arrived as a Man City player. It's so easy to forget he (and Nunez) are still quite young.

Special mention for Adrian, thought he deputised quite well for us. Yes, you can point to the spilt ball which allowed Alvarez to score, but that is surely wiped out by the handful of good saves he made.

All that aside, I've been watching Liverpool since the days of Heighway, Clemence, etc, and this has to be the best LFC I have ever seen. Give Klopp and 10 year extension.

EDIT: For those wondering what Longy-Shops' "Shake Hands" is all about

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSAOUZ2BkZI

:D
      « Last Edit: Jul 31, 2022 01:29:18 pm by Rush »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #290: Jul 31, 2022 01:32:54 pm
      How many more people are going to right off Jordan Henderson ever since the lad has been here people have doubted him. If he is fit Jürgen picks him and manages his time well he is a manager on the pitch give the lad a break FFS look at how many Trophies he has lifted.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,976 posts | 666 
      Reply #291: Jul 31, 2022 01:52:44 pm
      My thoughts

Haaland is a flop, City accrues 90+ points. Haaland is a success, City accrues 90+ points. As someone said, he'll score goals but you still only get 3pts for a win.

The only negatives I can draw from yesterday were Trent's first-half performance, and Henderson's full-game performance (I felt he was full of running, but running aimlessly, and he seemed a yard off, everything). I also have this niggling anxiety that we might have peaked too soon. I know the season hasn't even started, but either we are that good that sharp, always, and will more or less maintain that form from now until May, or we are close to peaking right now. That said, our performances throughout most seasons under Klopp, have, on the whole, been consistent with a very high standard, but yesterday we moved the ball around and played like we were halfway through a season. It is possible to peak so soon. Nah, screw it, we're that good! :D

I think we'll struggle, if anywhere, in midfield. Fab can sweep up, and Thiago can spray the ball over any angle, but I think we lack a strong presence there, one who can put their foot on the ball in the middle of the park and calm things down when required. Keita is too small, and I don't think he impacts games for us (the odd goal here and there) half as much as I would like; he isn't the imposing presence I think we need. I also think Henderson is starting to look a big leggy and has done for about a season and a half. As I said, he seems to be covering the ground required, but we are not closing down fast enough. That might just be the fluency with which the second-best team in the world, play.

I actually felt sorry for Haaland yesterday. The hype is not from him but the media and all the money in the world can't comfort you when you are 23 years of age in a new country with new teammates and all that pressure and scrutiny. I think Haaland will need some games under him before he starts to feel like he's arrived as a Man City player. It's so easy to forget he (and Nunez) are still quite young.

Special mention for Adrian, thought he deputised quite well for us. Yes, you can point to the spilt ball which allowed Alvarez to score, but that is surely wiped out by the handful of good saves he made.

All that aside, I've been watching Liverpool since the days of Heighway, Clemence, etc, and this has to be the best LFC I have ever seen. Give Klopp and 10 year extension.

EDIT: For those wondering what Longy-Shops' "Shake Hands" is all about

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSAOUZ2BkZI

:D
      You're first point (3 points for a win etc.) is spot on. The lad will score stacks of goals, as did Jesus...different player, same or similar results.

I'm not sure I share your sympathies for the 23 year old multi millionaire. I'm not saying it's the easiest thing in the world to go and live/work in another country, but I've been fortunate enough to have done it a few times and I don't remember it being especially traumatic.

Thanks for the Blackstuff ref.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #292: Jul 31, 2022 02:40:28 pm
      How many more people are going to right off Jordan Henderson ever since the lad has been here people have doubted him. If he is fit Jürgen picks him and manages his time well he is a manager on the pitch give the lad a break FFS look at how many Trophies he has lifted.
      I don't judge a player by how many trophies he lifts. Trophies lifted are a team effort. I judge players by their individual performances on the field. Henderson is a grafter and does have his good moments, and he will probably be around for a few years more, but ultimately, I think we can do better. At the moment I think he is a definite starter but only because he fits a particular role for Klopp. I might be reading too much into it but I thought against City, he looked off the pace and has done for a while.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #293: Jul 31, 2022 02:40:52 pm
      You're first point (3 points for a win etc.) is spot on. The lad will score stacks of goals, as did Jesus...different player, same or similar results.

I'm not sure I share your sympathies for the 23 year old multi millionaire. I'm not saying it's the easiest thing in the world to go and live/work in another country, but I've been fortunate enough to have done it a few times and I don't remember it being especially traumatic.

Thanks for the Blackstuff ref.
      We're all different

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,976 posts | 666 
      Reply #294: Jul 31, 2022 02:45:52 pm
      Indeed.....There was only one difference when I was a kid....Blue or Red
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #295: Jul 31, 2022 04:19:38 pm
      What are we calling this new lad anyway..is it Darwin or Nunez..or Nezzy even. The papers will have a field day with Darwin..

His full name is Darwin Gabriel Nunez Ribeiro...plenty to choose from. Must prefer Darwin as that's on his shirt.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #296: Jul 31, 2022 04:32:26 pm
      Says a lot that.

Noticed that. Mike Summerbee just ignored the kids, even the City ones.  Well old guy I suppose, might think I'll just do what I have to do.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,976 posts | 666 
      Reply #297: Jul 31, 2022 05:25:49 pm
      Noticed that. Mike Summerbee just ignored the kids, even the City ones.  Well old guy I suppose, might think I'll just do what I have to do.
      Just an observation: Being old(er) doesn't automatically equate to being impolite or bad mannered
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #298: Jul 31, 2022 10:07:44 pm
      Well I take it that we gave city a beating. I hope that sets a marker for how we’re gonna perform for the season.
      If so we are gonna take some stopping.
      Shame the prediction league wasn’t set up, I would have had a seven pointer 😂
      As for Haaland and Nunez. They both gonna be big hitters, but I think Nunez will have a bigger impact on our results than Haaland will have on cities.
      Don’t think we have to adapt as much to accommodate him.
      I was a bit dissapointed with our pre season performances and results but it looks like we are ready, as long as we can play at that tempo every game, not many will live with us. Just hope we stay injury free.
      Think we gonna win it all this season lads 😂

Quick Reply